• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9600K with Corsair H75 AIO v1

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
Hello

I have this cooler as part of bundle with my motherboard. Will this cooler do with 9600K most likely some low overclock but not anything spectacular as I intend to pair with 1070Ti
The version is the old one but the box says its compatible with s1151.
Would you recommend I keep it or ditch it and get myself some air cooler ?
Does the AIO impact temperatures much on the CPU VRM since there is no airflow over them with the AIO ?
Can you trust it as air cooler ? I have never been a fan of water cooling.

I don't have so much to do with hardware anymore so I appreciate advice.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
It will work just fine for that cpu even with a decent oc. The vrms dont get super toasty with a 9600k so the lack of airflow around them wont be an issue.

Just make sure ur sucking cold air in from the outside through it and it will perform about as well as a very good air cooler.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
It will do the job on any moderate OC. There would little reason to spend money on another cooler unless you chasing every last possible GHz.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Cooling stock
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software w8
Thanks for reply. I was just thinking of selling the AIO and buying some mid range air cooler. I wanted to know more about how reliable this is as I'm not a big fan of water cooling.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Well when it was introduced, reviews at that time were mainly using the 4770K in their test setups and that was a fairly toasty CPU, especially when overclocked, I honestly don't know how it compares with 8th and 9th gen in terms of toastyness :oops: but I am fairly sure it will do you fine with a half decent overclock too...…………...

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5...-h75-liquid-aio-cpu-cooler-review/index7.html

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I cooled a 8600K with a stock Intel 1150 cooler , that H75 will do just fine ,beyond just fine

Hello

I have this cooler as part of bundle with my motherboard. Will this cooler do with 9600K most likely some low overclock but not anything spectacular as I intend to pair with 1070Ti
The version is the old one but the box says its compatible with s1151.
Would you recommend I keep it or ditch it and get myself some air cooler ?
Does the AIO impact temperatures much on the CPU VRM since there is no airflow over them with the AIO ?
Can you trust it as air cooler ? I have never been a fan of water cooling.

I don't have so much to do with hardware anymore so I appreciate advice.

First question : I have never heard of air coolers effecting cpu vrm temps, unless the motherboard has a tall extended heatsink then no.

Second question: Their is always the risk of AIO leaking after extended use. Reading your statement it seems you have excluded AIOs from the start but felt compelled with the offer at hand. i would recommend going for a decent air cooler just for the peace of mind and in general a good air cooler can perform as good as some AIOs out their. i would recommend the noctua u12s.

I cooled a 8600K with a stock Intel 1150 cooler , that H75 will do just fine ,beyond just fine

Stock air cooler from years back i suppose. Nowadays intel stock cooler is so bad it thermal throttle non k coffee lake cpus

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
First question : I have never heard of air coolers effecting cpu vrm temps, unless the motherboard has a tall extended heatsink then no.

Second question: Their is always the risk of AIO leaking after extended use. Reading your statement it seems you have excluded AIOs from the start but felt compelled with the offer at hand. i would recommend going for a decent air cooler just for the peace of mind and in general a good air cooler can perform as good as some AIOs out their. i would recommend the noctua u12s.

Stock air cooler from years back i suppose. Nowadays intel stock cooler is so bad it thermal throttle non k coffee lake cpus
Many air coolers, regardless of heatsink height, can affect VRM temps due to it's own airflow. This is quite a common thing.

Anyway, to the OP, I'd stick with it and not worry about leaking. Sure there is A chance versus no chance with air, but the chances are quite low. Keep decent case airflow and you will be fine with the vrms. A was said earlier, it helps its a 9600k. :)

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2

8600K runs cool. 9600K should be the same.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Cooling stock
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software w8
So I finally got my stuff together. (9600k, z390, GTX1060 GB - I hope this will run BFV on FHD)

I bought Fractal R6 and I will stay with the H75 AIO.
My idea is to put the AIO at front of case instead of one 140mm fan configured as you advice to intake from outside. It feels kinds strechy on the hoses when I fiddled around with unplaced hardware but I think it will make it - worse case is I will have to get some sort of adapter for fan intake to add some distance from front of case to grant the hose some more freedom. The extra fan I'm left with from front I would put next to PSU to blow directly up towards GPU. All this is because I would like to keep the top metal cover for noise and looks and it seems more logical from airflow point of view.

Do you guys have any advice on this configuration ?

Thanks

1. You won't find many CLC type AIOs that can compete with a $45 air cooler.

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/Scythe/Fuma/images/temp_oc_aida64.png

2. Two major issues with CLCs

a) Weak Pumps @ 0.11 gpm (H100i) pale compared to Custom Loops
b) Most have Aluminum rads which violate the 1st law of water cooling ... never mix metals. The laws of chemistry are inviolate; you can use corrosion inhibitors but they have a useful life of 18-24 months. Other methods of preventing corrosion include coatings or non water based coolants which have a detrimental effect on cooling. usually before there is any visual evidence of corrosion, what happens is that the electrons leaving the aluminum form components with minerals or oxygen and crud builds up in the fins of the blocks. You can see a harsh example in link below.
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

3. 2nd rule of water cooling is "rad fans always blow in". If you read Corsair installation mannuals, they stae that "for best prformance, install fans as intakes into the PC"

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
So I finally got my stuff together. (9600k, z390, GTX1060 GB - I hope this will run BFV on FHD)

I bought Fractal R6 and I will stay with the H75 AIO.
My idea is to put the AIO at front of case instead of one 140mm fan configured as you advice to intake from outside. It feels kinds strechy on the hoses when I fiddled around with unplaced hardware but I think it will make it - worse case is I will have to get some sort of adapter for fan intake to add some distance from front of case to grant the hose some more freedom. The extra fan I'm left with from front I would put next to PSU to blow directly up towards GPU. All this is because I would like to keep the top metal cover for noise and looks and it seems more logical from airflow point of view.

Do you guys have any advice on this configuration ?

Thanks

You can mount the radiator at the front of the case (that's what I always do), just make sure you have a good fan ,either pushing, or pulling the air in over the radiator. And be sure you have one or two good exhaust fans at the rear ,and at the top rear.

The stock cooler i used was from 1150, theyre unchanged. There's two different types however, one is fully aluminum, and then there's one that has a copper core which comes with higher end of CPUs. but its moot, as i was just making a point, id never suggest a person cool a CPU of 4 cores or more with a Stock intel Cooler for any extended period of time, i just did it, cuz i needed to wait until i could switch my AIO in, which Crushed my 8600k @ 5.3Ghz, nevermind at stock. that h75 will do well. a great test of CPU cooling, is to run the free prologue version of Hitman2 on steam, if you set your cooler to handle those temps, it will be fine for pretty much any realworld application.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Cooling stock
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software w8
Sure If I'd buy a cooler I would most likely go air. I got this Corsair free with my motherboard. Nobody seems to be interested in buying it for 3 weeks now so I decided I will give it a try.
I don't think corrosion is a problem where. Normally cars drove those configurations copper/aluminium for years before they start to give trouble so at home envirement this shouldnt appear at least for the warranty period of 5 years. There is good feedback on this cooler over internet. Ofc its subpar with dark rock pro 4 and other good coolers .

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
a) Weak Pumps @ 0.11 gpm (H100i) pale compared to Custom Loops

They don't have to be as powerful because they aren't moving nearly as much fluid as a custom loop.

b) Most have Aluminum rads which violate the 1st law of water cooling ... never mix metals. The laws of chemistry are inviolate; you can use corrosion inhibitors but they have a useful life of 18-24 months. Other methods of preventing corrosion include coatings or non water based coolants which have a detrimental effect on cooling. usually before there is any visual evidence of corrosion, what happens is that the electrons leaving the aluminum form components with minerals or oxygen and crud builds up in the fins of the blocks. You can see a harsh example in link below.
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

All the good CLCs use a very effective corrosion inhibitor that prevents any noticeable corrosion for years. Mixed metals in CLCs are not a big issue. I mean, your car is almost certainly using mixed metals in it's cooling system, how often do you hear about corrosion issues in cars that run proper coolant? Never.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
To add to this...
3. 2nd rule of water cooling is "rad fans always blow in". If you read Corsair installation mannuals, they stae that "for best prformance, install fans as intakes into the PC"
That is true. HOWEVER, if you have your rad up top blowing warmed air in the case, you will raise the temps of the VRM and things inside the case as well. Unless you are a competitive overclocker and chasing after each degree C, I would worry more about airFLOW than I would forcing warmer air through the top of the case down onto the components.

Last edited:
System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
AIO warranties:
Corsair: 5 years
NZXT: 6 years
EVGA: 5 years

@John Naylor , you need to stop with the FUD. You're making it sound like all of these AIO's will fail after 2 years at the most, but that's simply not true. Do you really think these companies would warranty a product for 2-3 times longer than they think they'll last? You're also leaving out the important part of your "1st law of water cooling" which is "without proper corrosion prevention steps". It is virtually impossible to have a cooling system WITHOUT some mixed metals. I have an H50 that still works just fine and it's from 2009/2010. Jayz2cents recently cut open a ~4 year old AIO (H100) and it was spotless.
2nd rule of water cooling is "rad fans always blow in". If you read Corsair installation mannuals, they stae that "for best prformance, install fans as intakes into the PC
And how many people end up installing them on the back of their case, pulling in unfiltered air that clogs their rad all the time? Does that, in turn, lead to leaks because people end up pulling the rad out over and over to clean it?
I have never heard of air coolers effecting cpu vrm temps
Years ago, IIRC, Gigabyte had 2 thermal images on their website, one with a tower cooler and the other with a top down cooler. The area around the CPU was much hotter with the tower cooler. With that being said, today's motherboards are specifically made with AIO's in mind. I still like to use coolers like the Kabunto 3.
My idea is to put the AIO at front of case instead of one 140mm fan configured as you advice to intake from outside
IMHO, the best place to put the rad is on the back, with the fan mounted between the rad and the case, blowing out. This does a couple of things. It directly exhausts the heat from the CPU instead of adding it to the case and you will not clog the rad as quickly. You also have access to the rad to clean it. You have a lower power system, and you don't live in a hot climate, so you don't need the last n'th of cooling. Putting the rad in the front will help to keep your system quieter though.

System Name Project Neverending
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Corsair HX 150i Pro, Corsair ML 120/QL 120 fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 2 Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 (3440X1440), Samsung U28D590 (3840X2160)
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi, Logitech 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000i
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Updates coming soon ®
Using AiO's as exhausts is just fine. Like anything other cooling setup airflow is important. Here's a build I used for a while, I didn't have any issues with it at all.