1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9800 Pro Question (56K warning)

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Black Panther, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I got a 9800Pro (for free so it's no big deal if it's dead) but I would like to have opinions as to whether it's dead or maybe I'm missing out something (as is the norm :eek:)

Anyway, I've never had an ATI card in my life, not because I'm a fangal but because it just happens that the retailers closer to my location stock only nvidia :ohwell:

I decided that this 9800Pro AGP would be better for my kid's pc instead of her FX5500 AGP even though the latter's 256MB vram and the former 128MB vram.
    So, I had this spare (working) setup and tried to check if the 9800'd work.

I took out the SiS card, put in the 9800, and got one long beep and a series of 8 short beeps.
    When I rechecked, I found out that I had missed putting in the power molex from the PSU :eek: (really I had never thought an old card contemporary with the FX5500 would be needing psu power!:D)
    Anyway I plugged in the molex, yet still got the identical one long beep and 8 short beeps.

The pc functions fine if I pop the SiS card (or an MX400 or MX440 or any of the obsolete junk I got) in place. So the problem's definitely not with the pc but either with the card.... or perhaps I'm missing out something else which I should have done before popping the card in? Something specific to ATI which I don't yet know (MX400 and MX440 are ancient nvidia cards)?

Anyway my difficulty is: Can I be sure that this card is as dead as a doorknob (and save me keep on trying and testing things out) or maybe I omitted something and this card would in fact work?

The pc I'm testing it on:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 1.9Ghz
    1GB RAM
    KT4AV MS-6712 ver 10A Mobo.

Here's a picture of the whole test setup, maybe you can see something really obvious which I'm perhaps missing out lol - please ignore the wiring mess! :eek:
    [​IMG]

Please tell me your opinion - I don't want to throw this card in the rubbish if it works... :ohwell:

Thanks! :respect:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    I had a radeon 9800 (pro i think) agp on an asus motherboard. It had a 4 pin floppy connector for power. Installed it the same way you would any modern card. Those beeps sound like it's dead or the agp connector on the motherboard has issues. But if the nvidia card still works then its the ATI one.

Fx5500 isnt far off from the 9800 pro.

Curious, is the SIS the object around the video card there? not sure what a SIS is.

Black Panther says thanks.
  3. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Yes in my case it's a 4 pin connector as well.
    I don't think my agp connector's bad because I tested it with an MX400, MX440, and also some really ancient SiS card and graphics still work...

4. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    Unless the power draw of a 9800 is much more, which it shouldnt be at all.

5. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    The power supply has two 18A rails so it wouldn't be an issue anyways. :\

Unfortunately, it looks like it's dead. I can't think of anything else other than maybe it had a bad BIOS flash.

6. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I tried it in another setup.... same beeps...

So it's either dead... or had a bad bios flash.

I'd be looking into the latter, who knows?

7. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    is your mobo agp 8x complient? i had a prob with a mobo that only had like agp 2x and when i put in an 8x card it didnt want to work. even though technically their supposed to adjust

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    It says "One AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) 1.5V 8x/4x slot" so... I guess it is agp 8x compliant...
    Is the 1.5V part okay for the 9800pro though?
    :ohwell:

9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ya its fine because even if it needed it it would just pull it from the molex...idk what to tell you panther....i think it might be dead.

P.S. i get paid next week ill ship those CPU's

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    How can I do a bios flash if the pc won't boot with this card inside?

11. Dark_Webster

Thanks Received:
    Use a PCI card :D. Define the PCI card to be the primary display adapter.

12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    The following comes to mind BlackPanther:

The PSU looks like a cheap generic and it may not be able to power the system properly, regardless of its supposed ratings. I strongly suggest trying a quality one first.

Try updating the motherboard BIOS if possible, if a decent PSU doesn't fix it.

Is that heatsink the original one for that card? Looks like a Zalman aftermarket one to me. Perhaps whoever put it on didn't do it right and the card overheated and died (also from possibly too much overclocking)

I've got a 9800 Pro AIW and it had really good performance for its time, so I hope you can get yours working. It can even run Aero smoothly, which is fantastic for a six year old card.