• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A.C. Ryan AluBoxTFX

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
The A.C. Ryan AluBoxTFX is an external hard drive enclosure that allows the user to implement an IDE or SATA hard drive, utilizing the new eSATA connection for SATA drives, as well as USB 2.0 for SATA or IDE drives. And the TFX? That means “Tool Free Experience,” which is A.C. Ryan’s way of saying that the enclosure is completely tool-less in design.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

szir

What about data integrity?
I copied 4GB data and the box produced about 100 byte fault. (used windows fc /b)
all the md5 checksums has mismatch...
maybe it's just mine, but this is a peace of crap!

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Welcome to TPU. Is there something you need help with? I think either your unit is faulty or you have some other kind of system issue. I never experienced any issues like that with the review unit.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
its an enclosure, so the enclosure cannot develop a data fault... the drive inside the enclosure had a fault, and that was installed into the enclosure seperately...

the only thing that would make this a good or bad enclosure would be the interface (USB2 / Esata) and the cooling or capability to run the HDD cool

szir

Thx, I'll return it then next week.
I don't really need help. I was just wondering if this is a unique case or a faulty series, and If you tested this kind of things or just transfare rates. The error rate is about 3:100000000 in this case and you probably wouldn't even notice on video playback. (I didn't until just-for-fun i ran an md5 check)
I read (probably on truyecrypt site) that there are some USB to IDE devices that do these kind of things.
I had 4 other USB mobil rack and all of them worked perfectly (same USB port and cable even) one of them was attached to my PC 24/7 for maybe 2 years (with 60 days average continous sys uptimes) and never had any problem. I tested my USB-SATA device and its working just fine without a single corrupted bit.

I would appreciate if you could run a test specially designed detecting data integrity issues in the furute, since it's more important than speed (at least for me).

well here it is:
"Important: Several users reported that data on their TrueCrypt volumes were becoming corrupted. Later, these users found out that it was not a problem with TrueCrypt but with their hardware (chipset, USB hard drive, cables, USB PCI card, etc.) Therefore, we recommend that you make sure data written to the unencrypted device (where you intend to create a TrueCrypt volume) is not becoming corrupted. For example, by copying a large set of files (at least several gigabytes in total) and then comparing the original files with the copies (by content) using e.g. the command line tool fc supplied with Windows."
http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=data-corruption

----------------------

its an enclosure, so the enclosure cannot develop a data fault... the drive inside the enclosure had a fault, and that was installed into the enclosure seperately...

YES it can!
The HDD is working fine thank you very much!
I tryed 2 separate HDD (new WD 500GB and Samsung 400GB)

Last edited: