1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A couple of questions regarding dual monitor setup

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by JackTheRipper, Jan 28, 2007.

1. JackTheRipper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,
    Currently i have Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFT 24" monitor and i was thinking going for second one,so i could play game on the first for example and do something else on the second.Here the questions go:

Will it be fine if i put another 20" dell widescreen 5ms to work with my 24".Are they going to run on own resolutions (20" at 1680x1050,24" at 1900x1200) and is there any problem running dual monitors that are not identical?

Also if i run dual widescreens (but i play games only on the first one),how much extra power the GPU will dish out than running with only 1 for example?

2 questions over there,i'll be giving everything to the man who can give me a nice reply.

Cheers!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    If you have an ATi graphic card with 2 outputs then yes you can.:D

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. beesagtig

beesagtig New Member

Thanks Received:
    Too Easy

Ok

Running two different sized monitors with different resolutions at the same time is easy to do (if your using nividia at least, not sure about ATI)

Just go into nvidia control panel and click Setup Multiple Displays then click configured independently from each other. Then you can easily independently change the resolutions.

Next, I havent noticed any difference while gaming with dual monitors but I haven't tested this although my secondary monitor is only at 1280X1024.

However while gaming you can't do stuff on the other monitor without alt tabbing.

If you do decide to go dual monitor two good programs to use are:

DisplayFusion Pro which can give you different wallpapers on each monitor and can also change the wallpaper every x amount of seconds.

Ultramon which gives you a separate task bar on each monitor and a few other interesting and useful features.

Olly

4. smalls21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Running the 2 monitors should not cause any problems. I used to run a computer with 2 monitors and one of them had a different resolution.

I've used a program similar to DisplayFusion Pro in the past. Does it also allow you to simulate the task bar on the other monitor? Since windows does not put the task a bar across the screens.

5. beesagtig

beesagtig New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ultramon allows you to simulate a task bar across both screen.

Display Fusion Pro gives you a separate desktop background instead of the same on each.

6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Too easy indeed, yet it took you just under two years to come with that answer.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. beesagtig

beesagtig New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shudddup

haha, yea noticed that a second ago :p

9. Grimskull New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ultramon can put seperate wallpapers on each screen and a whole load of other stuff. I use it myself and it works a treat!

10. smalls21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hahaha Woops