• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A few simple Powerline questions...

I'm thinking of buying a powerline kit but before I do there is a couple of things that I'd like to know, if I buy a starter kit how easy is it to add to that? And if I did would I just go buy another adapter and plug in the wall + device or is there more to it than that?

All help/tips would be appreciated

ps I know I could use google but I prefer to ask real people.

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm thinking of buying a powerline kit but before I do there is a couple of things that I'd like to know, if I buy a starter kit how easy is it to add to that? And if I did would I just go buy another adapter and plug in the wall + device or is there more to it than that?

I have 4 in my house. I recommend the 500mbps ones, I have 200mbps ones and they're fairly average, they get me my 84mb broadband fine, but file transfer is pretty bad.

Literally you buy 2, plug them in whereever, plug one into router and the other into the device, then hold the reset button for 5-8 seconds. do not hold the button longer than 8 seconds otherwise it will just reset the adapter and not actually connect to each other. Whenever you want to add an adapter to the network, just plug it into the socket, hold the button for 8 seconds, and it will magically connect to your existing powerline network. Pretty easy stuff. I've had my 4 for 3 years, and they've never caused me any problems.

Even if you switch them off at night or whatever, they'll remain paired, so when you turn them back on, there's no need to resynchronise them all.

Do note, different power sockets seem to be more effective than others for some reason, so experiment with spare sockets if you have the length/time/space.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Easy peasy, if you want to add to it just make sure you get plugs from the same brand. Some plugs dont play nice with each other because the encryption is different

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
It depends on the circuitry in your house. For example, since I'm on the second floor if I connect it to two outlets on different circuits, the signal has to travel all the way to the basement, into the breaker box, and back up to the second floor to wherever the other adapter is. Because of this I found that I wouldn't get much more than 35-40Mbit. Just keep that in mind.

sounds like its just as simple as i thought, which is always good news! As for the circuitry that will be fine too as there is only my kitchen that is on a separate circuit.

On a side note, when did TPU get the new look? I love it on my mobile now!

What's this about they shouldn't be used with surge protected (power) extension leads/plugs?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
What's this about they shouldn't be used with surge protected (power) extension leads/plugs?

They severely bottleneck the potential bandwidth. Plugging mine into a surge protected extension lead literally halved my bandwidth.

that sucks for me, all the sockets in this house are single sockets and aren't very well placed around the house at all! Meh... I'm only using 20mb broadband anyway and rarely do large file transfers its mainly for the odd computer that I get in for repair that doesn't have an wifi so obviously quicker to hook up via ethernet than to keep installing my own wifi drivers

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
that sucks for me, all the sockets in this house are single sockets and aren't very well placed around the house at all! Meh... I'm only using 20mb broadband anyway and rarely do large file transfers its mainly for the odd computer that I get in for repair that doesn't have an wifi so obviously quicker to hook up via ethernet than to keep installing my own wifi drivers
You can split a plug without it being on a surge protector. Just get a short extension cord that supports >1800w and has two plugs on it. It's less limiting than a surge protector is but you can still plug a surge protector into it without having the powerline adapter on it. It diminishes bandwidth but not nearly as much as putting it on a power strip.

Consider it a better bad option. :p

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You can use extension cords, but not surge protectors, just make sure it is a decent quality extension cord.