• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

a little chipped part from VGA board !!!

Woody112

System Name Woody's MBP
Processor 2.4 C2D
Cooling Frikin Air
Memory Munskin 2x2 gig 1066mhz
Video Card(s) 9400gt/9600gt W/512mb
Storage 1TB WD scorpio blue
Display(s) 15.4" on lapie/ 24" Acer P241w on the wall/ 52" LCD TV
Software OSX/ Win 7
ok, ill call them...
but as they said before this porcedure may take three months (sending it back to asus and getting it back) !

but i dont really want to spend my three months for a simple problem that may could be fixed in here !

i want to know is this right that they're telling me it can void the garranty or not ?! or is this fact that theyre telling to me that MAYBE I DID THIS TO BOARD Accidently ...

Me personally I'd de solder one off an old card and install on said card. It's just a basic PCB RESISTOR, NOT A CAPACITOR. Usually color coded as in tan, black, red, green, stripped on end in black what ever they can think of really. Just de-soldier one off an old junk card or mobo and install on yours. Do so only if you have good soldiering skills.

This is big because you need to listen. What is missing is a capacitor. It's an extremely cheap part that's missing, but if you jump the connection you will most likely destroy your card slowly. You need to know the value and type of capacitor before you replace it. It would be best to get those jerks who have your card to replace it.

Don't write things like that, it's very annoying. He's missing a resistor, not a capacitor. The type is SMD. They're a bitch to solder back on but the card will probably be fine once you manage to do so.
I had to do it once to a motherboard, eventually it was making a connection and I just covered it with some glue so it wouldn't come off again. The board has been in my server for quite a while now, so it worked.

B

Beny-Nvidia

so, i read your opinion ...
now i will take my chance calling asus, and if they didnt accepted i will tell my RMA team to re solder the missed part ...

i hope its simple to do ...

any last words ?!

B

Beny-Nvidia

so, i read your opinion ...
now i will take my chance calling asus, and if they didnt accepted i will tell my RMA team to re solder the missed part ...

i hope its simple to do ...

any last words ?!

B

Beny-Nvidia

hi,
i called ASUS department (Taiwan Center) but i cant speak their language ... what button i should to press to gain access to talk with an authroized person ?!

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
It's a cap. Here's another example of how it's used on another pcie card. C = Capacitor. Anyone telling you it's a resistor is wrong. It's value isn't mission critical. It just decouples the signal path to remove any DC offset.

System Name Zim
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling AMD Stock with heat pipes
Memory Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 2x 8GB Kit DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
Storage Western Digital WD RE4 1TB - Main
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200
Case COOLMAX CS-480
Audio Device(s) Intergrated VIA VT2021
Power Supply hec X-Power Pro 600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
B

Beny-Nvidia

ASUS vendor in my country said that they're gonnad fix it if i write them down some kind of assignment !

do they have the equipment ?! i think they have because they're RMA team and should have this stuff ... please assure me, so i can write them down the assignment and get rid of these headaches ...

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
hi

i read through.. my suggestion:

if you found another pcie card(fried or damaged) de-solder a cap like you missing;all pcie cards must have the same value i think;if you don't have the bottom point to solder no tragedy as the circuit lane is going down to the pcie connection; you can solder there at the top a small wire and connect back the missing part

just be careful when you push back the card in the slot..

that's all

B

Beny-Nvidia

hello again ...
the rma team headmaster told me that the problem may caused by a chip on the board and all they can do is re covering it (some word like this i think) but they said that they cant assure me that this will work !

oh, by the way, i talked to a friend of mine and he told me its easy to fix it by heating and resoldering the capacitor ... but the card will die again maybe in a week or a month ... so i decided to tell the RMA team to send it to the asus company, maybe they will do some fixing that will longer my card's life time or give me new one ...
what do u think ?

Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
oh, by the way, i talked to a friend of mine and he told me its easy to fix it by heating and resoldering the capacitor ... but the card will die again maybe in a week or a month ... so i decided to tell the RMA team to send it to the asus company, maybe they will do some fixing that will longer my card's life time or give me new one ...
what do u think ?

Why would it die again? The missing capacitor hasn't cause any premature damage to anything else. If it failed in another month, it was due to another issue or you broke of something else. :D

B

Beny-Nvidia

maybe the problem is coming from a Chip ....
what do i do ? :( send it to asus and wait 3 months for yes / no answer ... or tell them to fix it ?! i scare because they cant assure me that they re able to fix it and give me a whole working card !

Video Card(s) HD6870
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
maybe the problem is coming from a Chip ....
what do i do ? :( send it to asus and wait 3 months for yes / no answer ... or tell them to fix it ?! i scare because they cant assure me that they re able to fix it and give me a whole working card !

I told you I'd solder in the cap for no charge to help you out. Cover shipping that's all.

B

Beny-Nvidia

i thank you ...
but i cant cover shipping fee ... its gonna be at least 100 dollars for me to ship it from here to u ... and its not small money ... because i can add more on it and buy a new brand VGA ... i just want to know ... how much is the risk of NOT working of This method of FIXING on my card (soldering the Capacitor on ...) !!! are u sure that the problem is coming from it ?

Video Card(s) HD6870
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
i thank you ...
but i cant cover shipping fee ... its gonna be at least 100 dollars for me to ship it from here to u ... and its not small money ... because i can add more on it and buy a new brand VGA ... i just want to know ... how much is the risk of NOT working of This method of FIXING on my card (soldering the Capacitor on ...) !!! are u sure that the problem is coming from it ?

But you live where I live, you could walk here. :roll: Maybe your in the next room. (looks)

B

Beny-Nvidia

funny guy :d
can u say me how much is the risk of doing this FIXING JOB ?!

what if its not coming from the Capacitor ... ?! what if its coming from a chip ... then they would have to re cover it via heat and when it comes back ... it will lives at least one month or less ...

what do i do !? : ( (

Video Card(s) HD6870
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
Well... The card is junk if it's not working. That we can assume. So, you can attempt to fix it yourself, but let me tell you, soldering those little surface mount components is a pain. I hope you have a 15w micro-tip iron. The broken pad could be repaired by jently scraping off the solder mask on that trace and either soldering in a single strand of wire to make the connection or use conductive paint.

B

Beny-Nvidia

as i said before the soldering and tracing job is not up to me ! the RMA team said me that they can do it for me ...

they said it may need reshaping and shaving the pad ... i dont understand these words ... but they said exactly this !

im sure they have the equipment for doing this job ... all of my scare is about that, what if the problem was not coming from this Missing capacitor ...

p.s : did u check the related link on the first post ?
the problem of mine is written there ... please take a look ...

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
just take a number 2 pencil and trace over it and see if you can get it to work if you dont have a soldering iron or circuit wrighter. you just need to cpmplete the path and make the connection...as for the asus team of course they have the tools. and the cap is the problem not a chip if it was a chip more than one would be gone. and be the looks of it it was sheered off not melted or anything else like that. it was chipped off thats what happens and its a simple fix.

B

Beny-Nvidia

Thanks Solaris ... every time u come in my topics and leave posts i feel very good ...

so u say that the problem is coming from the cap ?! yeah ?!
why not chip ?! can u describe it for me ?!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
well af you look at what you chipped off..looking at the bottom half their is more solder gone than the top. and when you look at the top the solder has alot of ridges. this tells me it was chipped off. You can also tell it isnt a chip failure because if it was a chip those caps would not be effected. you would see burns etc near a chipif that were the case. you could do the same thing to see if the cap was burned off but as you can see their arent any. now the repair could be risky if you dont know what your doing..but im sure asus can fix it...but if youd like to try yourself really quick just take a number 2 pencil and trace over the 2 points really well and your card should work again you can also do the same thing with whats called a "curcuit wrighter pen" try to pick one up if you can their like a pen only the ink is conductive. its much easier than solder if you dont have the tools and better working than a pencil.

B

Beny-Nvidia

i said before ! im not the fixer ! and im not gonna fix it by my self ! the rma team ... reseller of asus in our country would do this ...
i think they have the equipment ...

so if its not the chip problem .. its better i tell them to fix it ...

but a question : they said to me that the PAD was was missing and they have to shave the board ! what does it mean ?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
i said before ! im not the fixer ! and im not gonna fix it by my self ! the rma team ... reseller of asus in our country would do this ...
i think they have the equipment ...

so if its not the chip problem .. its better i tell them to fix it ...

but a question : they said to me that the PAD was was missing and they have to shave the board ! what does it mean ?

i was giving you a suggestion. if you dont want to take the 3 seconds to take a pencil and try it then you can send it to RMA. YES they have the tools to fix it. what they have to do is shave down the pcb and or some of the old solder to get the contacts the contacts are what you solder the caps too. they will need to remove the old solder. and if one of the pads is gone they will need to shave down the pcb and solder to the trace. the trace is the electrical path the pad was connected to.

B

Beny-Nvidia

so, if its easy to fix ill tell them to fix...

there were a woman among them and she told me that she's gonna recover the chip ! its better i tell him hey Ma'am ... dont touch that chip ! just resolder this cap :D

shes gonna burn card down :))

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
then send it in your good to go.