1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A little help

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by stone_crash_wolf, Feb 7, 2008.

1. stone_crash_wolf

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

I'm currently having several questions for which i'm expecting some answers.(please :D)
    I own an Club 3D X1600 pro.
    Since i don't want to upgrade anymore , and i have plans to go on xbox360 area , i just want to squeeze as much as i can from this card.
    I touched somehow a limit right now , by overclocking it.
    The default frequencies were at 500 Mhz for the GPU and 500 (1000 effective) for the Mem.
    Right now , thanks to a bios flash with the original modified bios , the frequences have been increased to 580 Mhz for the GPU and 630 (1260 effective) for the Mem , using stock cooling.
    The card is stable at these freqs , but i was wondering if i can get more out of it.
    A thing i forgot to mention : i don't know at what temperatures is the card working , since it doesn't have a Temp sensitive diode(at least that's what i think , cause there's no software which can show me the temps. Not even Ati tool).
    Now , the questions :
    1. Will i be able to overclock it much higher if i buy an Zalman VF700CU cooler? (because if i set a freq of 590 mhz on the gpu , the card freezes. As for the memory , if i try to get closer to 1300 mhz , i get artifacts, and i don't think this is normal for GDDR3 mem chips.
    2.As i said above, the memory chips are GDDR3 , 128 bit , made by Hynix. If it helps , there are some serials on the chips : HY5RS123235 /FP-2 /638A /Y7ED2757TQ . I would like to know the maximum frequences supported by this memory type.(if anyone could find out)
    3. I am totally confused. Confused by the result of the Ati Tray tools benchmark.
    With the default freqs i was able to get only 2322 points , but with the new freqs i get 2 x stock and a little more? 5010! I did the test 2 times , and the 2nd time i got 4980 points.
    Is this normal? I just don't know what to think about that.
    4. Moving back to
    - might this be produced by a lack of power , which means there's a voltmod required? including the zalman..

P.s. if you guys need to see the card , i can make some pictures with it , having the cooler mounted/unmounted.

Attached Files:

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Since you have no way of monitoring temps, I would either try to use a infrared thermometer, or, just be safe and get a good cooling solution for it. Try to look around and see what others are getting for overclocks with your card.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    give riva tuner try, it may be able to monitor your temps but Im not sure. I remember back when I had my 1600pro I had a really tough time OCing it at all.

You can download Rivatuner here!

4. stone_crash_wolf

Thanks Received:
    I would like to know another thing. What is memory refresh rate?
    I just modded my card to an Sapphire X1600XT , but with lower frequences , cause i can't fight with the heat at the moment.
    I'm asking for that MRF , cause the original bios from Sapphire has "0x44", like my Club3d has, instead of ox45 which represents the default value of an Asus X1600XT for example.

Besides this , is there any way to lower the card's memory latency?
    If yes , could some1 help me with a guide or something?
    Does this worth a shot? Is it going to increase the card's performance?
    As i said be4 , i just want to get as much as i can from this innocent x1600pro (XT).

Another thing: Between X1600 XT and X1600Pro are many differences?
    Besides higher clocks for XT and maybe lower latency , name , bundle software etc.
    I was reading in the "GPU Database" here on Techpowerup[dot]com that the X1600XT , X1600Pro and X1650Pro are using the same core(RV530). so i can't stop thinking that is the same product with another sticker. I'm wrong?

The good thing for me , is that with a lower frequences than x1600xt , my card sometimes outperforms one of that , or in the worst case is below XT with ~100 , 200~ points in 3dmark 2005 for example.
    So i assume that with better cooling , a little bit higher freqs (or at least XT's defaults) , my card will outperform the XT in any game or benchmark.