• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Memorial to Kreij - Gone 4 years but not forgotten- check out the latest build(s)

Will you be donating and/or opting in to win the Kreij Cancer Curing PC?

• Total voters
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor i5-4670k @ 4.4 / i5-4460
Motherboard ASUS z97-AR /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Omega / Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Omega
Storage 250 GB Crucial SSD MX200, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) 3x 24" Asus Ve248H LED (5760x1080) / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Home 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
I just stopped by to share some new, should anyone care for a follow up on my dad and his stage 2 colon cancer surgery.

Surgery was two Thursdays ago. No complications. 4 hours on the table. The surgery was scheduled to be about 2.5 hours, but due to the advanced nature of his cancer they did extra scrapings around many of the major organs and tissue to see how much the cancer has spread. All the testing had come back yesterday evening and he found out that the given 87% chance the cancer spread and how they had been prepping him for 4-7 years even after the surgery and possible chemo, there was 0 signs that the cancer spread at all and right now he's in the clear as being cancer free. So, yeah!

I haven't see @Norton around for a bit so hopefully all is well with him.

Perhaps we can look into doing something for this occasion - perhaps if @BarbaricSoul finds time he might be able to piece together that retro PC build to see how it all works out and we could look into doing that for a giveaway. I know Norton generally heads things up here, but with his absence it would be nice to do something. Just an idea.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Glad to hear he is on the path to recovery

System Name Barb's Domain/Barb's Cruncher#2
Processor i7 3930k@4.2ghz/i7 860 @ 3.3ghz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition/Gigabyte P55-UD3R
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin/Corsair A50
Memory 16gig DDR3 1600/4gig DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 /MSI HD7770
Storage 500GB WD Blue SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD/ WD Caviar Blue 160gb
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2560*1600/SOYO Topaz S 24" 1920*1200
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04/NZXT Source 210 Black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z533
Power Supply XFX 750W XXX edition/PC Power Cooling Turbo Cool 860
Mouse Logitect G5
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit /Windows 7 Ult 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14508101
I just stopped by to share some new, should anyone care for a follow up on my dad and his stage 2 colon cancer surgery.

Surgery was two Thursdays ago. No complications. 4 hours on the table. The surgery was scheduled to be about 2.5 hours, but due to the advanced nature of his cancer they did extra scrapings around many of the major organs and tissue to see how much the cancer has spread. All the testing had come back yesterday evening and he found out that the given 87% chance the cancer spread and how they had been prepping him for 4-7 years even after the surgery and possible chemo, there was 0 signs that the cancer spread at all and right now he's in the clear as being cancer free. So, yeah!

Perhaps we can look into doing something for this occasion - perhaps if @BarbaricSoul finds time he might be able to piece together that retro PC build to see how it all works out and we could look into doing that for a giveaway. I know Norton generally heads things up here, but with his absence it would be nice to do something. Just an idea.
That's great news about your dad.

I'll put it together this weekend. It's just been sitting here collecting dust waiting for someone to organize a giveaway.

System Name Not so complete or overkill
Processor 5960X @ 4.20Ghz @ 1.06v - For Crunching!!
Motherboard MSI X99 Titanium Gaming
Cooling Custom loop with old bits and pieces that I need to replace
Memory G Skill TridentX 3466 non RGB..
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Storage Sandisk 120Gb SSD, 2 x 2Tb Sammy 3.5" drives - Need more drives!!
Display(s) 3 x 23" LG IPS panels (can't remember model!!)
Case 10mm thick MDF on plastic risers.. It's kinda a case??
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA T2 1200w
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Corsair thingy
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It's not to bad.. More importantly, it works!!
Well guys, I would like to try and do something for this amazing forum and amazing cause that quite a number of us at TPU do every day :) I'd like to start or do my own TPU Giveaway in memory for Kreij :)

Now I haven't seen much of @Norton at all these past few months but he's still been crunching away regardless of whatever is going on with him (I hope you and the family ok man!! :) ) so I've been helping a little and doing the reports on the FAH and WCG crunching that TPU do... I hope with some success :)

Since being back on TPU a lot more, more specifically when I got into IT back in September 2017, I've been extremely lucky with certain things and one of those things are hardware.

Back a few weeks or so, I posted a pic of all the servers I had managed to bring home (A few servers at home) as they have been taken out and set to go to the recycling heaven of PC Hardware.. I thought somehow I'd be able to use them so I brought them home..
Long story short, with this I'd like to do a giveaway with some of the units for now I've been so very lucky to have been allowed to bring back.

Apologies in advance as these are not 28 core Xeon's that we see today, most of what I've had have been quad core and quad core with HT but I hoped it might be a bit of a start for a big giveaway.

Without further ado, here's the goodies ......

View attachment 123764

What I have here are 4 servers (for the moment) that I do not require or need, so I'd like to do something good with them and that's help with crunching for cancer or folding for cancer (to be honest, better off with a GPU for that really....)
Over time I've lost family to cancer and friends and I'm sure many of us have had effects from cancer in some way, maybe not directly but it's effected you or family or friends in ways.. So now's your chance to do a little something about it :)

As you can hopefully read from my rather poor handwriting, there's the specs of the servers, as I said nothing amazing but it'll crunch maybe not as fast or as efficiency as a lot of kit now will do but it will still work which is more important in my book.
When I first started in IT I was able to bring some kit home and I've learnt a lot from it, so with the few here, I'd like for someone else to learn a bit from it as well and hopefully crunch away too :)

With the servers, they have had little to not much in them, so with a few bits and pieces I've rescued and had, I've been able to give them a little bit of an upgrade and hopefully make them a little more usable for people :) I've managed to get a few spares for some R710 servers (2U monsters - maybe another giveaway?? :)) as below -

View attachment 123773

And with a bit of spare RAM I've got...

View attachment 123774

As you can see from the sticks on the top, only 1Gb, so they had to go :D

For the Fans, Heatsinks and HD cages required - see below
Heatsink ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R610-CPU-Heatsink-TR995/254171265263?hash=item3b2dc9b8ef:g:SVkAAOSwUPpckl9B )

View attachment 123769

Fan ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R610-Fan-Rack-Assembly-0GY134/323789405063?hash=item4b635a3b87:g:ZyoAAOSwrdlcqh75 )

View attachment 123770

HD Cage - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Dell-2-5-SAS-SATA-Tray-Caddy-R610-R710-R510-R410-T710-2-5-caddy-for-dell/253133841806?hash=item3aeff3e58e:g:FqUAAOSw49lZt3Xh

I'll confirm with a pic and a part code :)

So here's the 4 specs here :)

1 -
HP DL380 G7 - No CPUs yet (I'll try and put something in), 24Gb of ram (6 x 2Gb sticks of Samsung 10600 and 6 x 2Gb sticks of MT ram 10600 as well), comes with dual 460w PSUs, 6 fans, 2 heatsinks and 8 2.5" drive cages which will work with the raid card in the server - This is a 2U server, I've no rails for this if required (sorry :()

2 -
Dell R610 - 1 x Xeon E5520 (I'll see if I can find another one and heatsink), 24Gb of ram ( 6 x 2Gb sticks of Samsung 8500 and 6 x 2Gb sticks of Hynix 8500), comes with dual 717w Gold 80 plus PSUs, 5 fans, a single heatsink (as it's only a single CPU) and 2 2.5" cages which will work with the Perc raid card - I have a spare set of rails for this one

3 -
Dell R610 - 1 x Xeon E5303 (again, I'll try to grab another and heatsink) 24Gb of ram 12 x 2Gb sticks of Samsung (I think didn't write it down!! :banghead:) comes with dual 717w PSUs (I'll confirm silver or gold standard), 5 fans, 1 heatsink (as it's only a single CPU) and 2 2.5" cages which will work with the Perc raid card - I have a spare set of rails for this one

4 -
Dell R610 - E5620 (sadly only a single but I'll do my best) 24Gb of ram, 12 x 2Gb sticks of Samsung 10600 ram, comes with dual 717w PSUs (Silver 80 Plus) 5 fans, a single heatsink and 2 2.5" cages which will work with the Perc raid card - I have a spare set of rails for this one

Here's a pic of the insides of one of the R610's after the upgrade -

View attachment 123768

I'm not sure how @Norton did this in the past but as these beasts are rather heavy, sadly I'm not sure if shipping them will be of much good (UK to US will possibly cost as much as flying a private jet across) and it will probably cost as much as the server is worth so, I'd like to offer these to anyone who would like one in the UK.
I will be prepared to drive and meet within reason. I do have a lot of driving to do when I do get chance to see my first daughter Isabelle, so if you would like to meet around Junction 9 on the M5 or up near around Telford ish (M54 or surrounding areas) we can discuss more in PM should you be interested :)

Depending on how this give away goes, I do have a few more servers I'd love to give away (some of the beefier R710's) to anyone who would like them, all I ask of anyone wishing to have one is that they join or add this to their fleet for what they use for World Grid Community crunching for TPU... If you only use it a few hours a day or run it 24/7 that would be down to you :) I'm not wishing anyone to become bankrupt trying to run these things for the team!! Your support is all I'm asking for :)

So without any more typing and drivel coming out of me, I'll hand it over to anyone who's managed to get to the bottom of this post (hats off to you!! :laugh: :laugh:) and see how this giveaway goes....
:lovetpu::lovetpu::peace::peace::toast::toast:
I've not forgotten about this guys, I just need to try and get them weighed somehow to find out how much they'll be to post and figure out a way of sending them :laugh: Few life issues happening as always but I promise to get my arse in gear and get them sorted out before end of the month :)

System Name It's A-L-I-V-E...Perfect 1080p gaming on the cheap!
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Cryorig M9 w/ be quiet! Silent Wings ~ 92mm
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V ~16GB(2 x 8GB) ~ DDR 4 3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 500 GB
Display(s) Dell S2715H
Case In the market for a new case...need ideas!
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech Zone Touch Mouse - T400
Keyboard iKBC CD108 ~ Cherry MX Blues
Software Debian Buster 10
Spoke with Norton today, he sounds as though he's doing well and said everyone should be hearing from him "hopefully" by the end of the week.

Was glad to hear about your father's test coming back positive. We're dealing with cancer(yet again) here on the home front as well. I'm afraid the prognosis isn't as positive. Stage 4...spread from the back to the brain, lungs, liver, lymph nodes etc...

Since May of 2018...it's been nothing short of a living hell around here.

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard MSI B350M Gaming Pro
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu with AM4 bracket
Memory PNY Anarchy-X XLR8 Red DDR4 3200 MHz C15-17-17-17-35
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, SanDisk Ultra II 480 GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster C27H711 OC refresh rate 110Hz
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) On-board dead - Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Rx
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v1903
System Name It's A-L-I-V-E...Perfect 1080p gaming on the cheap!
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Cryorig M9 w/ be quiet! Silent Wings ~ 92mm
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V ~16GB(2 x 8GB) ~ DDR 4 3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 500 GB
Display(s) Dell S2715H
Case In the market for a new case...need ideas!
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech Zone Touch Mouse - T400
Keyboard iKBC CD108 ~ Cherry MX Blues
Software Debian Buster 10
Nodular melanoma.

Best,

LC

Spoke with Norton today, he sounds as though he's doing well and said everyone should be hearing from him "hopefully" by the end of the week.

Was glad to hear about your father's test coming back positive. We're dealing with cancer(yet again) here on the home front as well. I'm afraid the prognosis isn't as positive. Stage 4...spread from the back to the brain, lungs, liver, lymph nodes etc...

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool
Hugs to you and your family. :love::love: I've never met you, but I know the 'hell' you describe all too well. :(

Last edited:
System Name Not so complete or overkill
Processor 5960X @ 4.20Ghz @ 1.06v - For Crunching!!
Motherboard MSI X99 Titanium Gaming
Cooling Custom loop with old bits and pieces that I need to replace
Memory G Skill TridentX 3466 non RGB..
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Storage Sandisk 120Gb SSD, 2 x 2Tb Sammy 3.5" drives - Need more drives!!
Display(s) 3 x 23" LG IPS panels (can't remember model!!)
Case 10mm thick MDF on plastic risers.. It's kinda a case??
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA T2 1200w
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Corsair thingy
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It's not to bad.. More importantly, it works!!

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool
My thoughts are with you and everyone.. If there's anything we can do... :)

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.V
Processor Intel 8600k@4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 16 Corsair Vengeance White LED DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming OC|Accelero Xtreme IV
Storage Samsung 970Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD Blue 1TB SSD|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) Asus PB278Q 27"
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1x140mm NF-P14s|1xCorsair ML120 Pro|4xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z {AVR:Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150}
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900/G502
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Just been trawling through my long abandoned photobucket account and found some words of wisdom from Uncle Kreij ;)

Wasnt worthy of a new thread being made so the best place was posting it here.

He loved everyone here - at least when it came to the regulars and folks who earned the long service badge. Finding this bought a tear to my eye and we werent even that close.

I cant remember the reason why i screenshot this in the first place.

System Name RyzenGtEvo
Processor Amd R5 2600X@4.1
Motherboard Crosshair hero7 @bios 2304
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu Monoblock Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3466cas16 16Gb in two sticks.
Video Card(s) Sapphire refference Rx vega 64 EK waterblocked
Storage Samsung Nvme Pg981, silicon power 1Tb samsung 840 basic as a primocache drive for, WD2Tbgrn +3Tbgrn,
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync, LG 49" 4K 60hz ,Oculus
Case Lianli p0-11 dynamic
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi
Mouse Roccat Kova
Keyboard Roccat Iksu force fx
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8056 vega 3dmark timespy
Just been trawling through my long abandoned photobucket account and found some words of wisdom from Uncle Kreij ;)

Wasnt worthy of a new thread being made so the best place was posting it here.

View attachment 126638

He loved everyone here - at least when it came to the regulars and folks who earned the long service badge. Finding this bought a tear to my eye and we werent even that close.

I cant remember the reason why i screenshot this in the first place.
Nice double anecdote dude, it's surprised me a bit how it feels to me when someone you only know on a forum disappears, I mean I too didn't know him that well but felt like knew him better than I did ,.
There are others too.

I never knew him or even got to see his posts online as he was gone before I was active/registered, but judging by that post he seemed to be a very level-headed, good-natured, down-to-Earth, personable, and funny guy. :toast: Too bad he's gone because the world needs more of his type. :love:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.V
Processor Intel 8600k@4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 16 Corsair Vengeance White LED DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming OC|Accelero Xtreme IV
Storage Samsung 970Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD Blue 1TB SSD|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Display(s) Asus PB278Q 27"
Case Corsair 760T (White) {1x140mm NF-P14s|1xCorsair ML120 Pro|4xML140 Pro}
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z {AVR:Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150}
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900/G502
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I guess in some ways. peoples souls just digitally connect on an emotional level. Almost everybody knew who Kreij was and he put in a lot of time here. Though im sure if i suddenly coughed and died, nobody here apart from some of the folks in the UK clubhouse would really remember me in the same way... Maybe after 5 years of me being dead one of them might turn around and say "does anyone remember a guy called FreedomEclipse?? I havent seem him around for a long time" Or maybe i havent done enough as a member to be remembered in the same way.

The herding cats remark really made me smile though lol.

System Name Fractured puke.
Processor Intel I7-8700k/G4400/AMD 2200g/Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard MSI z370 Gaming M5/h110/ AMD a320/ AMD B450-ASRock pro 4 atx
Cooling Corsair H110i/Intel/AMD/H60
Memory 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHZ/8gb 2133mhz/8gb 2400mhz/8gb Viper 3000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1070ti/integrated/apu/rx570
Storage 960 EVO 500gb/256gb WD Black 2280 M2/Patriot Ignite 480gb SSD/ Inland Pro 256gb SSD/Patriot Scorch-&
Display(s) AOC 32" QHD/Acer 32" QHD/ ViewSonic 24" FHD/ TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C/ Rosewill FBM-01/ Rosewill FBM-01/Sigma eclipse
Audio Device(s) creative audigy/nboard/ onboard/inboard
Power Supply Seasonic/TT/TT/Cooler Master white80+ 500w
Mouse Red Dragon/red dragon/Razer/Razer
Keyboard Razer Deatstalker/red dragon RGB/Red Dragon 502/Razer
Software Windows 10Pro x64///
I remember back on General Non-sense when it just became a separate site Kreij held a contest...
The goal....Draw the best cat you can in Windows Paint with your eyes closed....Whatever one he liked best got a $50 Newegg Gift card.
I din't know him well but the time him and Danthebanjoman spent on GN was priceless.
The Humor....even when he initially knew he stayed focused on only being serious about helping.
I miss his articles on NextPowerup.
Great guy...
Gonna have a Ribeye and a beer in his name Saturday...LoL
I remember that post btw.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
Gonna have a Ribeye and a beer in his name Saturday...LoL
Sounds like a challenge! Pics required. And no ice water shenanigans.

System Name Barb's Domain/Barb's Cruncher#2
Processor i7 3930k@4.2ghz/i7 860 @ 3.3ghz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition/Gigabyte P55-UD3R
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin/Corsair A50
Memory 16gig DDR3 1600/4gig DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 /MSI HD7770
Storage 500GB WD Blue SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD/ WD Caviar Blue 160gb
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2560*1600/SOYO Topaz S 24" 1920*1200
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04/NZXT Source 210 Black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z533
Power Supply XFX 750W XXX edition/PC Power Cooling Turbo Cool 860
Mouse Logitect G5
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit /Windows 7 Ult 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14508101
I'll put it together this weekend. It's just been sitting here collecting dust waiting for someone to organize a giveaway.
just a heads up, didn't get a chance to mess with the "old school" build last weekend, will try this weekend.