• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Memorial to Kreij - Gone 9 years but never forgotten- check out the latest build(s)

Will you be donating and/or opting in to win the Kreij Cancer Curing PC?

• Total voters

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Awesome :)

Did you have a preference as to which server you'd prefer @Durvelle27 ? :)

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Hi guys

Anyone who is seriously after a server or two, please get in touch :D I'm needing to get rid of them out the rack and off my floor as soon as possible!! I don't want to get them picked up for recycling if I can send them away to someone who will be able to make use of them, so please wherever you are in the UK/world, I can always try to ship it too you. I'm not so impressed with the boxes I have but these things are built like a tank and won't get damaged easily for sure :D :D

Until the end of January I'll keep them just for TPU members, then I'll advertise them anywhere just so I can get rid of them :) Hopefully I'll hear from people soon!! :)

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hi guys

Anyone who is seriously after a server or two, please get in touch :D I'm needing to get rid of them out the rack and off my floor as soon as possible!! I don't want to get them picked up for recycling if I can send them away to someone who will be able to make use of them, so please wherever you are in the UK/world, I can always try to ship it too you. I'm not so impressed with the boxes I have but these things are built like a tank and won't get damaged easily for sure :D :D

Until the end of January I'll keep them just for TPU members, then I'll advertise them anywhere just so I can get rid of them :) Hopefully I'll hear from people soon!! :)
How much would it take to ship one across the pond?

System Name just ordinary potato system, but dont understimate potato..
Processor ryzen raven ridge 2200g, ryzen 2600 upgrade:)
Motherboard msi b350 pc mate, biostars a320, asrock ab350m micro
Cooling x2 cheap china handmade, i got plenty aigo/fantech rgb fans now heh
Memory klevv dual channel 8gb 3000mhz, trident 16gb 3600mhz, random ddr2 stick
Video Card(s) back to square, using vega 56 now:D
Storage wd green ssd 240gb, 3tb seagate expnasion, random laptop hdd x4, 1tb 3.5
Display(s) acer vgo 22inch fullhd 75hz
Case cheap segotep/dazumba mid atx, alcatroz mini atx
Audio Device(s) genius retro wood style, harman kardon stick iii
Power Supply be quite system power9, powerlogic standar, voltron 300fx, thermaltake smart 1200w
Mouse rexus, genius ps/2, powerlogic ps/2 ball tracking
Keyboard rexus, random china product x3
Software talking abt best software, autodesk/unity3d/notepad yes notepad!!
Benchmark Scores theres nothing to brag abt potato, but it can run decent 30fps fullhd with good setting:)
interesting, wpuld like to donating few of my junkies, wonder how to do so tho, becouse my home is far away heh
and yes f**k yourself cancer:nutkick:

Hopefully people here will take them, but if they don't, I know a place you can post them so that they will go local. :toast:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Please let me know, the sooner they go the better for me!! :)

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Please click this link..... and hopefully it'll give you some idea :) That was a quote for @Durvelle27 :)

What CPUs are in them? Are they dual CPUs? RAM, etc? I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I've looked at a couple for sale locally, and there's a chance it'd be cheaper than shipping one lol, but they're single CPU. So if I'm going to buy a machine for crunching, and yours has dual CPU that'd be the better way to go. But if yours are single CPUs, I might as well just buy one locally and donate on it.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Well I will say this. The R610's (the 1U servers) have a single CPUs in as they only came that way but the extra RAM I have installed in each might make it simple enough for someone to have that way and upgrade :)

With the 2U servers, all of these have dual CPUs, 24Gb of ram and everything there but hard drives. They have the caddies that they came with (some only had 2 or 4, but some had all of them filled up) so if any of these are of use, then please do let me know :)

I am pretty sure I will literally be getting rid of all but two of the R710's (I might even take it down to one...) but they are all fully loaded and ready to go, again with everything but drives installed in them. If you'd like pics inside or actual specs, then I will of course get them all listed and then people can pick out or I could do a random thing, whatever, as long as they can go I don't much mind!! :)

Hi @phill

I recently joined the team (registered an account on 1/9/20 but i can't find my nickname on the member list yet) and i am interested to get one of your servers (and willing to dedicate it for the techpowerup WCG crunching team permanently)

My most powerfull crunching machines are a DELL R440 (Intel Xeon silver 4108), a DELL R520 (Xeon E5-2403), and an older HP Workstation wx8600 ( dual xeon X5450).

I have some spare U's left in my server bay at work , so if you provides the racking rails too, that would be awesome.

I live in France by the way.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Hey @blobster21 :D :D

Firstly, glad to have you on board :D What is your WCG name, is it blobster21 as well or something different? Sometimes it can take a little while to show up on the table of results but hopefully we will be able to see you there very soon :D

Well, the question I have for you sir is simply, which server and how many?! lol What I'm asking as I've mentioned above, is that the shipping costs for the servers are completely covered and then depending on the server sent (on specs) a donation of some description would be amazing :) Reason for the donation on some of the kit, is that I have purchased a few pairs of CPUs for the servers to make them dual CPU and as well spent cash on extra fans and heatsinks as most of the kit I've had from my work place was single CPU which was a bit of a shame but still :)

Most of the servers do come with caddies to fill up the server, some might have just two, some four (especially the 1U models) and then internally they might not have a full back plane so only a few bays on the front will be functional, but if it's only for WCG, you won't need 10Tb of storage, well I'm hoping not!! :)

I'll see if I can go through all of the servers tomorrow that I'd like to get shipped out, I was hoping to get that done today but as my little girl has been ill, it's been mostly time with her and cuddles as she's been fast asleep on me on and off most of the day. Then at least people can see what is in each of the servers and make a choice that way. I believe for the 2U HP and the 3 1U R610's that's already done but I'll make sure in case that's not the case and my memory has turned even worse! :)

If there's anything anyone needs to know about the servers, just ask away, I'm more than willing to advise or talk a bit about each of them :)

Firstly, glad to have you on board :D What is your WCG name, is it blobster21 as well or something different? Sometimes it can take a little while to show up on the table of results but hopefully we will be able to see you there very soon :D

Yes indeed, i registered on WCG with the same nickname, in order to be easily identified :)

Well, the question I have for you sir is simply, which server and how many?! lol What I'm asking as I've mentioned above, is that the shipping costs for the servers are completely covered and then depending on the server sent (on specs) a donation of some description would be amazing :)

Sounds fair enough ! ideally i would go as far as requesting 2 of them (whether they are 1U or 2U servers, the beefier the better of course) and hopefully the donation i have in mind would be perceived as acceptable from you (PM sent). I know the postage & packing won't be cheap but i'm prepared to hear anything :)

Most of the servers do come with caddies to fill up the server, some might have just two, some four (especially the 1U models) and then internally they might not have a full back plane so only a few bays on the front will be functional, but if it's only for WCG, you won't need 10Tb of storage, well I'm hoping not!! :)

I don't mind if the backplanes are not fully connected, since the baseline is just installing a capable O.S to run WCG, so i'm perfectly fine with it.

I'll see if I can go through all of the servers tomorrow that I'd like to get shipped out, I was hoping to get that done today but as my little girl has been ill, it's been mostly time with her and cuddles as she's been fast asleep on me on and off most of the day.

Hopefully she will get better very soon !

If there's anything anyone needs to know about the servers, just ask away, I'm more than willing to advise or talk a bit about each of them :)

i'm already familiar with the R5** / R6** / T7** line of products so my questions will be adressed when you post the detailed specs, on the other hand what could say about the HP servers, in order to get to know them better ?

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Yes indeed, i registered on WCG with the same nickname, in order to be easily identified :)

Perfect, I'll see if I can find you :D Makes it easier then to get tagging people when they hit a milestone etc. Small thing but I like to mention people that pass them, seems only fair :D

Sounds fair enough ! ideally i would go as far as requesting 2 of them (whether they are 1U or 2U servers, the beefier the better of course) and hopefully the donation i have in mind would be perceived as acceptable from you (PM sent). I know the postage & packing won't be cheap but i'm prepared to hear anything :)

If I remember correctly, I believe all of the 2U servers have dual CPUs in them, some might be quad cores, but I think most are all hex.. Since I was wondering about power consumption on them as well, I've used the L5640's in most of them, these are 60w CPUs so even when there are 2 of them, 120w just on CPUs and as they are X58 based, it'll use a little more than normal anyways.. They aren't the most efficient but times have moved on a little bit since then :)

I don't mind if the backplanes are not fully connected, since the baseline is just installing a capable O.S to run WCG, so i'm perfectly fine with it.

Any of the servers will be fine with that then :D :D Just depends if you prefer 2.5" models or 3.5" models :)

Hopefully she will get better very soon !

I hope so too, she is having a bit of a problem settling on her own at the moment, but that said, a cuddle for a few minutes and then a bit of time with her making sure she's not crying when she goes down and she's now again, out for the count :)

i'm already familiar with the R5** / R6** / T7** line of products so my questions will be adressed when you post the detailed specs, on the other hand what could say about the HP servers, in order to get to know them better ?
It's the first HP server from work and if I'm honest, I've not used it hardly at all lol Same era of hardware, X58 based and dual CPUs :) I did make sure that each server had at least 24Gb of ram, whether it was with 12 x 2Gb sticks or 6 x 4Gb sticks :)

Obviously all servers will be without drives, I do have a few spares here which I'm more than willing to sell on (at a low price as again they have been well used.. I have professionally wiped the data from each and every drive so I have no issues handing some back out. :) We can work out from there about costs :)

I'll check PM's in a sec.. :)

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Right everyone, just a bit of a dump and a thanks to everyone who got in touch about the servers :)

I believe they have ALL been claimed so, I'm going to make sure that whoever has contact me will get a reply regarding my testing, pictures and video of them working and then I'll be getting them boxed and sent off :D

If anyone hasn't got back in time to me, due to me wanting the servers rid by the end of this month, if I do get any more home with me, I'll put you on the next give away :)

That said, if anyone changes their mind and doesn't want me to send them out, I'll post back here and in the other thread at the top of this page :)

Thanks again :D :D

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
So I thought a few pics of the giveaway might help things along here... The hardware will be sent out in the first week in March due to shipping requirements.. So, here it all is :D :D

IMG_20200210_215158.jpg IMG_20200210_215302.jpg IMG_20200210_225620.jpg IMG_20200210_231342.jpg
IMG_20200211_201415.jpg IMG_20200211_201750.jpg IMG_20200211_202544.jpg IMG_20200211_203920.jpg

There's been a total of 5 servers (complete with rails) that have been gifted off, 3 R610's and 2 R710's :) Plus a few CPUs and some extra RAM that I had laying about just in case :)

The person in question is @blobster21 (Fabrice) and he's been great with communication and has sent over the cash he wished to donate for the gifts. It's been an amazing pleasure to have dealt with him and I hope that the servers make it over in one piece when I send them in a few weeks :)

If anyone has any questions or wishes to comment below, please do :)

Last edited:
When i first saw Phill's massive giveaway, and the pictures with the 16U server bay filled with R610/R710 i was like "wow, this guy is sooo lucky !!!

I took a chance and apparently i won the jackpot :peace:

I can't wait to welcome those servers into their new home, and give them a noble purpose (crunching away :laugh:)

Thank you for the awesome giveaway + all the time invested in communicating with me, documenting the servers, answering my questions for future CPU upgrade path, protecting and packing the goods as you did !! :lovetpu:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
When i first saw Phill's massive giveaway, and the pictures with the 16U server bay filled with R610/R710 i was like "wow, this guy is sooo lucky !!!

I took a chance and apparently i won the jackpot :peace:

I can't wait to welcome those servers into their new home, and give them a noble purpose (crunching away :laugh:)

Thank you for the awesome giveaway + all the time invested in communicating with me, documenting the servers, answering my questions for future CPU upgrade path, protecting and packing the goods as you did !! :lovetpu:
Most welcome :) I hope that they come through as they have been sent and since there's not drives in there, we should be fine :) I hope! lol

Come March, I will get them on route for you and advise from there. If I can I'll get them booked in for a Monday, then when it's picked up, they should be with you in a few days :)

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Just a little update for everyone to see.....

1583623980058.png

@blobster21 ...........

Thanks for the update Phill !

I'll be there in person to receive the servers if they are delivered either the 10th, the 11th or the 13th.
I can't wait to be there already ! :toast:

I'm the proud new owner of....5...greeeeat cardboards that crossed the channel without any obstacle !

There's barely any dents, all went very well !

It's been one hell to carry though :p

Great job packing them all @phill

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_192309.jpg
    IMG_20200309_192309.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 126
Well Hello, my name's Dell "R710" Poweredge and i'm one of the 5 new servers which leaved the UK to start a new life in France !

Phill (my former owner) packed me carefully and i traveled safely to destination.

1584217641813.png

My new owner carefully inspected me, and quickly proceeded to remove the extra 24GB PC3 10600R module, only to let the other 24GB in sparing mode.

Under my cover beat a dual Xeon E5620 @ 2,4Ghz

1584219346174.png

I will be recommissioned as a data crunching unit for team TechPowerUp! , along with my 4 other brothers (still in the cardboards)

My former owner has been kind enough to ship me with 2 Dell Constellation ES 500GB 7200RPM SAS drives, so i was ready to be brought to life OOTB !

1584219820887.jpeg

I don't mind running Windows 2012R2, so that's the way it's gonna be until my new owner change its mind :)

1584219941590.png

There : i'm already earning some credits for my new team :

1584221148646.png

Thanks for watching this post, keep on crunching datas for TechPowerUp! , and on behalf of my owner : take care and stay safe during those uncertain times.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
So glad you have them through @blobster21 and even more grateful to the couriers handling them that they have little to no damage on the boxes and more so that they will all work perfectly :D :D

I hope all of them together, isn't going to be too noisy :D :D :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect:

Enjoy them all sir!! :D :D Glad you had the extra RAMs and CPUs in there as well!! :D :D Amazeballs!! :D :D :roll:

I hope all of them together, isn't going to be too noisy

You know all too well how loud they can be when banded together !!

Those pesky little R610 are breathing especially loudly when crunching @ 90% !

I've got to find some new earplugs or i will become either deaf / insane :roll::roll:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
You know all too well how loud they can be when banded together !!

Those pesky little R610 are breathing especially loudly when crunching @ 90% !

I've got to find some new earplugs or i will become either deaf / insane :roll::roll:
If you had said I could have put some ear plugs in from work that we use just for that reason!! :D :D :laugh: :roll: