• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Monitor RMA gone Bad_ASS

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
This one is a first for me and perhaps common place for others. I had a 27" ASUS VN289H where the backlight went out. I thought dam I have to purchase a new monitor but before doing so I check my warranty and I had the ASUS Rapid Replacement still good from 2016 at the time I bought it. Well it's a good thing to have an ability to RMA a product that's gone belly up but the RMA process can be a pain in the ass at times. I contacted ASUS and received my RMA number and stuffed the thing in a old AOC monitor box I still had... I know right. After a week or so I received an email stating they did not have the parts in stock to repair my monitor. However they would send me a fully tested recertified replacement unit that meets ASUS quality standards. Of course the warranty would carried over from the old one and would not extend the current one.

So yada yada and so on I open the attached document with the specs of the new monitor. WTF they're going to send me a 28" 4K / UHD 3840x2160 1ms DisplayPort HDMI Back-lit LED Monitor? I hit Google and searched the monitor and find it's a little old but still decent 4K monitor. So not to say I haven't been wanting for a 4K monitor but to receive one yesterday and actually see what I've been missing is indeed a pleasant surprise! So it looks like a RMA can be a good thing on occasions and perhaps in certain circumstances an actual upgrade... yeah I'm stoked! :)

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I note the way in which a company treats their customers when things go wrong says a lot in my book. ASUS did you a solid there, IMO.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
This one is a first for me and perhaps common place for others. I had a 27" ASUS VN289H where the backlight went out. I thought dam I have to purchase a new monitor but before doing so I check my warranty and I had the ASUS Rapid Replacement still good from 2016 at the time I bought it. Well it's a good thing to have an ability to RMA a product that's gone belly up but the RMA process can be a pain in the ass at times. I contacted ASUS and received my RMA number and stuffed the thing in a old AOC monitor box I still had... I know right. After a week or so I received an email stating they did not have the parts in stock to repair my monitor. However they would send me a fully tested recertified replacement unit that meets ASUS quality standards. Of course the warranty would carried over from the old one and would not extend the current one.

So yada yada and so on I open the attached document with the specs of the new monitor. WTF they're going to send me a 28" 4K / UHD 3840x2160 1ms DisplayPort HDMI Back-lit LED Monitor? I hit Google and searched the monitor and find it's a little old but still decent 4K monitor. So not to say I haven't been wanting for a 4K monitor but to receive one yesterday and actually see what I've been missing is indeed a pleasant surprise! So it looks like a RMA can be a good thing on occasions and perhaps in certain circumstances an actual upgrade... yeah I'm stoked! :)

And yea, we always hear the bad stories ;) What model # is the new one?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I always base my opinion of people, or others ,on how they treat the people they don't need to treat well.

In this case ,they could've sent you any number of equal models ,or whatever their EULA agreement states, but it looks like they did you a favor. this tends to happen when you RMA older components or electronics that are still under warranty. Because they lack the equipment to repair or replace or it's just too expensive so you end up getting an upgraded or newer model. Whether or not it was a good deal only time will tell , but as far as specification-wise ,you definitely made out ,lets just hope lifespan is the same

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
this reminds me of when i had a Stripped screw on my daughters Cougar Spike Micro ATX case. I contacted cougar, and told them that the screws were stripping with very little use. You would think they would send a couple replacement screws, or atleast i would. They sent me literally, (and when i say Literally, i dont mean in the sense that Millennials use it, when they Literally say it every other sentence, but the Actual Literally) 50 thumb screws. I was very appreciative, but they also sent me 6 replacement Side panels ....WAY above & beyond.

So great to read stories like this and about your atx case...it gives one hope...

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
I find that as long as you're polite, and prepared with your proof of purchase, and serial number for your product, it will make the process as quick and simple for the support member (which they'll likely appreciate) as well as yourself ,& it more often than not goes to your benefit. But of course there's always those situations where (for some reason or another) things don't go the way they genuinely should ,to no fault of your own. This is where (in my opinion) a lot of people shoot themselves in the foot, so to speak, when instead of keeping a cool head they get angry at the possibility that they may not get the service they deserve. Generally what I'll do if for some reason or another my service request is denied is I'll either rely on my ability to speak to a person over the phone or I will respectfully and politely end the support communication with that member, and contact the company through their social media account. This does a couple things all at once. It gives you the opportunity to get a second opinion from the same company ,because there are frequently more than a few support technicians at each company ,and you'll likely get a different one if you try to contact them a second time. It'll also give you the opportunity to take the request out of a private medium if all else fails (email or pm) and into a public forum (social media),where their responses are out in the open for the public to see (meaning their potential and current customers), which gives them an added reason to treat you properly or possibly even better than properly. (i recommend NOT abusing this path, as it can end with poor results, and you looking like a dick in front of whoever is reading your correspondence. By abuse, i mean, dont try to force a outcome that you DONT deserve, or to push a lie, or get out of a situation that is genuinely yourfault, ands not the responsibility of the company to resolve)

And I always try my best (if the situation allows it) to use my strengths to my benefit when communicating with a company or anyone for that matter , especially when the situations outcome is important to me. So if you're good with speaking to other people call them on the phone instead of using email, or if you're bad over the phone use email. I get really analytical and treat it like a chess game and I try to get the best outcome I can, basically , its social engineering to a degree , & depending on how well you can do it your outcomes will vary greatly, but i bet you'd be surprised with some of the results ive gotten, so take it seriously, like your standing in front of the person, and get the outcome you deserve, instead of hope for it, persistance pays more often than not.

Last edited: