• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A power supply problem

Doodus

Hey i'm new on the forum and I hope that someone can help me! :)

I have a PC at home and the power supply has failed. I plan on upgrading the computer anyway and getting an entirely new machine but there is some data I want to retrieve off of this one if I can. I have tried putting the HDD in another machine but I think due to the fact its a dell machine it wont let me boot from the hard drive and nor will it let me access it without formatting. Is there anything I can buy or anything I can do to get some power to it so that i can copy some files off before I scrap this shitty machine?

Thanks in advance

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard MSI X370 Pro Carbon
Cooling Air
Memory G-skill Flare x 16GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Storage Intel 600p NVMe 512GB for OS , 1TB WD Black and a 4TB Toshiba
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Logitech G403 wired
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Cooling Air
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
No. If you want the data from the drive. Do not format it. Just hook it up to another PC via the USB and your good. You may need to jumper the drive to master if it is an older type IDE drive.

You can do it by hooking it up to the motherboard on another machine just make sure it is set to boot from the PC's main drive and not that one and jumpers set accordingly (SLAVE) if it is an older drive

Doodus

No. If you want the data from the drive. Do not format it. Just hook it up to another PC via the USB and your good. You may need to jumper the drive to master if it is an older type IDE drive.

You can do it by hooking it up to the motherboard on another machine just make sure it is set to boot from the PC's main drive and not that one and jumpers set accordingly if it is an older drive

Yea I did hook it up to my other PC by connecting it to the MB but it wouldn't let me access the drive. Before it could be used it needed formatting which I obviously can't do. I'll try reconnecting it to the master tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help :)

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Cooling Air
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
Yea I did hook it up to my other PC by connecting it to the MB but it wouldn't let me access the drive. Before it could be used it needed formatting which I obviously can't do. I'll try reconnecting it to the master tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help :)

How do mean it would not let you access the drive? Did you try booting into its O/S? Or did you boot into the Pc you where trying it on and it does not show in My Computer or Disk Managment?
If you are hooking it to your motherboard. It needs to be a slave drive. Boot into your Pc's O/S and hopefully you can see it in My Computer.

Last edited:

Doodus

How do mean it would not let you access the drive? Did you try booting into its O/S? Or did you boot into the Pc you where trying it on and it does not show in My Computer or Disk Managment?
If you are hooking it to your motherboard. It needs to be a slave drive. Boot into your Pc's O/S and hopefully you can see it in My Computer.

I booted into 7 and in my computer you could see the drive, but when you click on it, it says it needs formatting to use it. I think there is a problem with the partition header, there may be some corrupt data on there. I know someone with some software that may be able to fix it so i might give him a try if all else fails.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
turn on the other machine. let it boot. then connect your HDD. goto device manager and "search for hardware changes". you should be able to copy off all files other than windows files.

robn

Processor i7 920 @ 3520MHz locked on 1.04V, all features on
Motherboard Biostar T-Power x58 + ASUS U3S6 + Broadcom WiFi
Cooling Akasa Nero S on the i7 + 2 Akasa Apache case fans
Memory 24Gig Kingston HyperX DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX GTX260 216 XT
Storage 240Gig SanDisk SSD, 750Gig Spinpoint F1
Display(s) BenQ E2200HD
Case Coolermaster Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Realtek(!) with M-Audio AV40 + Wharfedale SW150
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650
Software Win7 64 Pro / Fedora KDE
Benchmark Scores wPrime 32M 7.265sec - 3DMark2001 57673 - Intel Linpack 50.6237 GFlops
I booted into 7 and in my computer you could see the drive, but when you click on it, it says it needs formatting to use it. I think there is a problem with the partition header, there may be some corrupt data on there. I know someone with some software that may be able to fix it so i might give him a try if all else fails.

Ok, you are doing it right! It might well be corrupted, but you can get lucky. My favourite software for recovering data is TestDisk / PhotoRec.

TestDisk can
Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
Fix FAT tables
Rebuild NTFS boot sector
Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
Fix MFT using MFT mirror
Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock
Undelete files from FAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
Copy files from deleted FAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.

Secondly, if no luck with that try out spinrite, though you have to buy it. It can reconstruct data patterns.