1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A ridiculous game review

Discussion in 'Games' started by entropy13, Mar 9, 2011.

1. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-08-hyperdimension-neptunia-review

Some basic info: Hyperdimension Neptunia is made by a small company. Barely any ads about it are made outside of Japan (even within Japan it's still a niche game). Being a niche game, it's not even supposed to suit a lot of people. He gave the game a 2/10.

Here's what's bothering about the review. It's apparently “plain old ugly Japanese sexism” and “sexist, senseless and ultimately stupid.”

Yet with Bayonetta for example (which the same review gave a 9/10), there's no "Japanese sexism" present. :laugh:

Here's Sankaku's take - "Sexy heroines are presumably only permissible when they appear baying for blood alongside the muscle-bound psychopaths who pass for healthy depictions of masculinity in most western games…"

Remember as well that Neptunia's "depiction" of girls aren't even remotely realistic (what some might call "anime-y"), yet apparently that is more sexist and more offensive than a realistic depiction of scantily-clad women who's either wearing Breast Plate (not Breastplate which means the plate over the chest, but the breasts and then a plate below) or too thin clothing that they were almost naked already.

They tried playing the "sexist" card in a very wrong way. :roll::roll::roll:

In the review for Neptunia he bashes its "fanservice" as being offensive and sexist even though it's barely comparable to Bayonetta (which he gave a 9/10). :laugh:

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Kinda like the way I feel about GameSpot's review of C.O.P.S. 2170. I thought it was decent, they thought it was horrible.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Oh it's actually far from that. What's ridiculous is that it really is a bad game in terms of the gameplay mechanics, yet they've trumpeted the fanservice and it being "sexist" instead, which is the fail. They justify the scores based on that, and only mentions towards the end "oh and the gameplay mechanics are crap" in the last few paragraphs. Every other paragraph dealt with the "fanservice" (as if it was the worst thing in the world, and the only game that did that) and the "sexism" (due to the previously mentioned fanservice). And to be honest the other aspects are quite good. Although stereotypical, the characters are developed enough, the game breaks the 4th wall and does good parodies of other games. They also point out the other aspects of the game, like the NPCs, calling out to them on why they're immune to things and such and only dies if it's in the plot. lol

4. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Same reason why brainless moe ecchi harem animus get bashed. They're shitty.

5. {uZa}DOA

{uZa}DOA

Thanks Received:
    All game reviews are opinions. Granted they can tell a person how it plays, graphics, and performance.. Other than these parts of all game reviews I disregard entirely. But, like game reviews this is just my opinion... hehe

6. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Why even bother with game reviews? Everyone knows the reviewers are schills in the game company's pocket. I'm beginning to distrust everything opinion-based on the internet. There are just too many people writing for bonus checks or commission.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    But yet you're okay with posting on a web site that survives on the revenue it makes from hardware reviews? Wizz doesn't go out and buy the hardware that he reviews so he's subject to all the same forces you just described. Yet, you distinguish between this web site and the ones that post reviews that you don't like. I think you're real problem is not that the game reviewer was "a shill", but that you just don't agree with what he wrote about that particular game.

8. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I assume you're talking to me? The difference between hardware and video games is that hardware can be backed up with numbers. 55 FPS on ulta settings isnt Wizz's point of view. It's numbers. Troll harder ;P

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. FierceRed

FierceRed

Thanks Received:
    I would chill out entropy13, as it's a little immature to care so much about what one reviewer says about one game. Not to mention the fact that whenever a western reviewer talks about an eastern game, CULTURAL RELATIVISM is in play at all times. What he said isn't "wrong" or "false", it just seems to have been done badly (via a game review) and based off whatever social/cultural information he has in his head.

Having a reaction to something is as natural as breathing, but this reviewer reacting badly due to a combination of supposedly (I haven't read your link) filling his review with misplaced opinions on sexism + ignorance about the Japanese cultural context this game falls heavily under is no reason for YOU to react so badly as to post an emotionally fueled discovery of his hypocrisy on your favorite forum. :cool:

That being said, Eurogamer from my knowledge has pretty balanced reviews (search their review of Recettear) and this is personally the first I've heard of a Eurogamer review being bashed. I just might read it later. Nonetheless, you might find Kotaku's review to be more up your alley, as I found it touched on all the issues a game review about an RPG should, including the tongue-in-cheek "plug-suit wearing anime babes":

http://us.kotaku.com/#!5778424/game...be-more-exciting-than-hyperdimension-neptunia

10. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who gives a fuck what reviewers think, honestly

ps anime is for children and creepers

11. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I for one don't really go into what a review is stating.. I'll play that game, even if one person says it's crap.. I'ts what they think.. We all have thoughts on it.. Just some get paid while others don't.. But, shouldn't look into every review, from a reviewer, as being GOLDEN..

Take for instant.. I'm an anime fan, I may not be "HARDCORE" as some are.. But, I like it for the art, and flow more then anything else.. Some people may think it's not so "great" or think we're something that we're not due to "liking" it.. But, just like a reviewer, they have their "own" thought on the matter..

Ctrain, I wasn't picking at you for your "ps" just putting a twist on things via example..

12. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    as has been pointed out already reviews are in part based on opinion. reviews should inform what the game is about and how it plays. a lot of the time the game is compared to others in the genre.

there have been many times when i've played a demo or full game and then read the review when it's come out and was surprised at the low score. however, i don't let a professional journalist's opinion get in the way of my enjoyment.