• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Theory of Consciousness, Latency and VR

Mitchie23

I agree with you mostly, and understand your thought process. However, there still might be something related to consciousness and latency when it comes to self-awareness, you are limiting your way of thinking because you think x must equal y, because that's just how it works. I understand that. However, there are so many variables and unknowns at play here, imo. That is your opinion and this is mine.

I see. Well, good luck with your search for the correlation of the three. Philosophy has always been an enjoyable discipline to study.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
You don't have to think about it because the response is a reflex that does not involve the brain. A reflex is a rapid, unlearned, involuntary (automatic) response to a stimulus (change in the environment).
For clarity, reflexes are processed by the spinal cord. The brain still receives the sensory information so you instantly know why a reflex was triggered. Material on the subject: https://sinoemedicalassociation.org/AP/reflexesbrain.pdf

Consciousness has nothing to do with it, but it's a zero latency.
On the former: correct. A reflex can be triggered when an individual is unconscious.
On the latter: incorrect. There's always latency in everything, even in the detonation of a fission bomb. Sure, the reaction occurs in the space of a nanosecond but that's still latency. It takes time for neurons to transmit a signal to the spinal cord and for a signal to be sent back to the muscles and then time for the muscles themselves to contract.

Animals are hardwired this way to protect themselves unconsciously. because if they do so with consciousness, the tendency is to panic. LOL
I startled a plains weasel the other day. The reflex was "squeak" and backing up. Realizing it was trapped in a pipe after a few seconds, it stared at me for a second then made the conscious decision to run past me, and it did. All mammals have reflexive and conscious systems.

If you want an example of an awesome reflex, look no further than the dragonfly:

Last edited:

Mitchie23

For clarity, reflexes are processed by the spinal cord. The brain still receives the sensory information so you instantly know why a reflex was triggered. Material on the subject: https://sinoemedicalassociation.org/AP/reflexesbrain.pdf

On the latter: incorrect. There's always latency in everything, even in the detonation of a fission bomb. Sure, the reaction occurs in the space of a nanosecond but that's still latency. It takes time for neurons to transmit a signal to the spinal cord and for a signal to be sent back to the muscles and then time for the muscles themselves to contract.

I startled a plains weasel the other day. The reflex was "squeak" and backing up. Realizing it was trapped in a pipe after a few seconds, it stared at me for a second then made the conscious decision to run past me, and it did. All mammals have reflexive and conscious systems.

If you want an example of an awesome reflex, look no further than the dragonfly:

My 2 cents:
Reflexes do
not require involvement of the brain, although in some cases the brain can prevent reflex action. most sensory neurons do not pass directly into the brain, but synapse in the spinal cord. This allows for faster reflex actions to occur by activating spinal motor neurons without the delay of routing signals through the brain.

Regarding Latency, Yes I agree you with this, maybe I just exaggerated it. But yeah, there's latency in there.

Thanks for sharing this video! I am always fascinated by science :love: