• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A Unification of DisplayPort 2.0 and USB 4.0 Is Underway, Due for 2021

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The graphics cards of the near-future could see a gradual phase out of standard-size DisplayPorts in favor of USB 4, starting 2021, according to a CNET report. Within the USB standard, the type-C port could see a significant growth in proliferation, and a possible phase-out of type-A ports, beginning with notebooks. The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), had in Q3-2019 announced the USB 4.0 specification, with development of the first implementations of the standard underway.

According to the CNET report, some time in 2021, USB 4.0 type-C ports could include DisplayPort 2.0 wiring, enabling 8K and 16K displays with a single cable. USB 4.0 will also make significant strides in other directions, such as support for 40 Gbps bandwidth (80 Gbps in x2 mode). It also implements tunneling technology carried over from the Thunderbolt specification, allowing you to daisy-chain devices (such as plugging in an external hard drive to a USB 4 monitor).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
And why, pray tell, would GPUs switch to this new port when monitors are using full size ports? They would just have to provide a new cable and wouldnt actually ACCOMPLISH anything, while integrating a new expensive component (a USB 4.0 controller) that they dont need. VR headsets that use USB 4.0 will likely use the built in 4.0 port on motherboards.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
NOOOOOOOOOOO BLEEEEEEEH

FACEPALM - This is the worst news of this year for me so far, oh boy.

PLEASE NO FFS. I HATE THIS ALL-IN-ONE NONSENSE, 3-in-1, 5-in-1, 10-in-1, SHIT-IN-ONE

AGP-DP-HDMI-PCIE-SERIAL-ETHERNET-AUDIO-CATV-1394-POWER-THUNDERBOLT-CRAP-IN-ONE

Reminds me of all of the fancy-ass TV commericals like this:

The way this is going is NOT good for dedicated systems for many other reasons, so it'll all be USB4 then with a glut of cheap manufacturers all doing their own USB4 implementations .... you get DP quality because it's rare and only dedicated serious companies would go ahead, FREELOADERS don't bother and go for the cheap stuff and that's why HDMI and USB are so cheaply made most of the time.

Now what, we'll rely on all the USB circuitry for this, all the soutbright northbridge and all the other failure points for this to work, and oh I need to install USB4 drivers from god knows who to enable high-speed mode on my monitor, come the hell on.

It's only good for a gadget freak and reviewers who plugin in and plug out 10 times a day. I'd be fine with it being optional.

Notice DP follows the good old design of locks and has two pins to hold the cable in place, only noobs have problems with that, whereas HDMI and USB have none, they're made to be plugged-in-out so much, and ofcourse the whole "children" and stupid noob that trip their cables all the time ... I have NO KIDS ALLOWED INTO MY SUPER PC COMMAND CENTER I DEMAND THE HIGHEST MOST PROFESSIONAL EQUPITMENT YOU HEAR ME YOU STUPID INDUSTRY !!!

Oh yeah I'm going to daisy chain my HDD with critical data via the one the only the magnificent USB4x0 with 40 MULTI-ACTION TOP SHOP BUY NOW EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT!!! off a 8K Monitor that leads into a USB Hub with 10 other USB4x0 with 40 MULTI-ACTION!!! devices so there's going to be the best case of some data corruption along due to all of that EMI and saturation, that's the spirit, cram all that inside one cable so it glows like uranium! What a smart industry, listen to the experts, they know best :)

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:
And why, pray tell, would GPUs switch to this new port when monitors are using full size ports? They would just have to provide a new cable and wouldnt actually ACCOMPLISH anything, while integrating a new expensive component (a USB 4.0 controller) that they dont need. VR headsets that use USB 4.0 will likely use the built in 4.0 port on motherboards.

Turing and Navi already include a controller for usb though (for navi, the only card i've seen with it is the Radeon Pro W5700)

USB type c in general lacks uniformity though, especially for desktop where power delivery is non existent on those ports

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
Doesn't that mean you could have audio and video going over the same cable, a la HDMI?

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
NOOOOOOOOOOO BLEEEEEEEH

FACEPALM

PLEASE NO FFS, I HATE THIS ALL IN ONE NONSENSE.

3-in-1 5-in-1 10-in-1 SHIT-IN-ONE

AGP-DP-HDMI-PCIE-POWER-THUNDERBOLT-CRAP-IN-ONE

Reminds me of all of the cheap-ass TV commericals like this:

The way this is going is NOT good for dedicated systems for many other reasons, so it'll all be USB4 then with a glut of cheap manufacturers all doing their own USB4 implementations .... you get DP quality because it's rare and only dedicated serious companies would go ahead, FREELOADERS don't bother and go for the cheap stuff and that's why HDMI and USB are so cheaply made most of the time.

Now what, we'll rely on all the USB circuitry for this, all the soutbright northbridge and all the other failure points for this to work, and oh I need to install USB4 drivers from god knows who to enable high-speed mode on my monitor, come the hell on.

It's only good for a gadget freak and reviewers who plugin in and plug out 10 times a day. I'd be fine with it being optional.

Notice DP follows the good old design of locks and has two pins to hold the cable in place, only noobs have problems with that, whereas HDMI and USB have none, they're made to be plugged-in-out so much, and ofcourse the whole "children" and stupid noob that trip their cables all the time ... I have NO KIDS ALLOWED INTO MY SUPER PC COMMAND CENTER I DEMAND THE HIGHEST MOST PROFESSIONAL EQUPITMENT YOU HEAR ME YOU STUPID INDUSTRY !!!

Oh yeah I'm going to daisy chain my critical data HDD with USB4 off a monitor and 10 other devices so there's going to be the best case of some data corruption along due to all of that EMI and saturation, that's the spirit, cram all that inside one cable so it glows like uranium! What a smart industry, listen to the experts, they know best :)

/rant

yet you probably use a cellphone that does 50 in1 different things. I honestly get sickened by how much people use their cell phones for everything.

Usb cables seem come out more then any HDMI cable I've seen. Although usb was made for mobile devices, so the implementation was of different needs. Usb 3.2 type c, and thunderbolt are just consolidating to each other anymore and displayport seems be coming along with them at this point. Not a bad idea imo.

I question the usefulness of this when people just connect other things via Bluetooth and/or wifi, mouse, keyboard, head sets, even sounds systems. No wires = no mess.

If I understand this right, from graphics card linked to monitor, monitor linked to keyboard, keyboard linked to mouse. All can be linked daisy chained like this? Can't we already this with usb type C connectors? Seems redundent. >_>

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Turing and Navi already include a controller for usb though (for navi, the only card i've seen with it is the Radeon Pro W5700)

USB type c in general lacks uniformity though, especially for desktop where power delivery is non existent on those ports
So the controller is only implemented in their expensive pro cards, where it may actually be useful.

Why bother to include said controller? (BTW, USB 4 is TB3 with a new name, TB3/USB4 controllers are EXPENSIVE, for something 99% of customers will never use). It doesnt make sense, this all seems like speculation, and I mean, its Btarnur, come on, what are the odds this is just speculation with nothing to back it up?

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
It doesnt make sense, this all seems like speculation, and I mean, its Btarnur, come on, what are the odds this is just speculation with nothing to back it up?

The source for this is a CNET report which also reports on this press release from VESA.

The CNET report is listed as source if you see this from the main site and not from the forums.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
yet you probably use a cellphone that does 50 in1 different things. I honestly get sickened by how much people use their cell phones for everything.

Usb cables seem come out more then any HDMI cable I've seen. Although usb was made for mobile devices, so the implementation was of different needs. Usb 3.2 type c, and thunderbolt are just consolidating to each other anymore and displayport seems be coming along with them at this point. Not a bad idea imo.

I question the usefulness of this when people just connect other things via Bluetooth and/or wifi, mouse, keyboard, head sets, even sounds systems. No wires = no mess.

Aha, gotcha ... No!, I don't use phones that much ... , but I only got a smartphone like 3 years ago mostly because I didn't want to spend so much on a dedicated camera at the time and then I used it mostly for tweaking a custom OS on and playing with that a bit and that's one thing ... and then checking some weather ... 3 things really ... ofcourse calling on it is primary so that doesn't count.

Yes it's not a bad idea if it's limited and optional to the mobile stuff and never agressively tries to get so big into everything else to take over and replace Display Port is self !!!!

But this is really funny ... how thick will the USB4 cable be then ... it goes against "mobile", or it's going to be thin and produce so much EMI that will interfere with your other devices as USB3 already does.

Oh yeah wireless, man it's so smart and good, no wires no mess right ... have you ever familiarized yourself with some of the funamentals such as Newton's law of motion, and that there is a set of tradeoffs to any technology ... you forgot the other part of PROS and CONS.

Wired:
PROS: Healthy
CONS: Mess

Wireless:
PROS: No Mess
CONS: Unhealthy

I rather have Mess, thank you very much. Plus, the whole Wire Mess argument is usually by mostly spoiled brat people who live in a high-stress culture with a freeloader type of lifestyle and can't take a few hours or an afternoon to organize those cables, lazy people on soda and fast-food basically, ofcourse the convenience of wireless is extremely appealing to them, anything lazy and spoiled.

This is the first news piece I got really upset in many years ... cause I can see where this may be leading to, so excuse me and thanks to everyone for giving me some leeway venting some steam :p

Last edited:
System Name Dreamstation2
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) Aorus 2080 Ti Turbo (sounds like a vaccum cleaner at full load)
Storage 2 x 1TB M.2 NVME + 1TB 2.5" SSD
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 32" 4k
Case NZXT H500i
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50x / Edifier R1855DB
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Wired:
PROS: Healthy
CONS: Mess

Wireless:
PROS: No Mess
CONS: Unhealthy
Just wait to see wireless power delivery ... if you think wireless network is bad. Having a 60kW wireless charger for electric vehicle for example. If it leaks less than 1% of the energy (really good for wireless charger), it will be bathing you with 600W of electromagnetic goodness (approx the power of a microwave oven). Radiation cancer says hello.

So people can call me "tin foil hat user" but no way I will believe that constant exposure to strong electromagnetic fields is not bad.
Mobile phone: bad, but necessary evil (can't have mobile comms with wires).
Wireless network, wireless power delivery: bad and can be avoided with something simple called copper wire.

About the USB 4.0 and display port unification.
Looks good in theory (more options is good).
In practice: laptop manufacturers will ditch the usual connectivity 19V power delivery + 3 USB ports + headphone jack + microphone jack and replace with 1 or 2 USB 4.0 ports and call that "revolutionary", "space saving" and "versatile". Want to connect a charger, external HDD, external camera, external microphone, mouse, keyboard - buy stupid dongles or daisy-chain devices until something breaks and all your devices burn from a cheap faulty USB 4 cable.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
One Port to rule them all, One Port to find them, One Port to bring them all, and in the laptop bind them.

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
At least USB type C is a nice connector format. I agree, it's not as robust as a full-size display port connector but it could be much worse. Worse, like all the previous USB connectors for example. The emphasis on ALL because there are so many with A and B and B micro and B mini and their bastard children in the USB 3.0 format with extra pins and physically extended connectors. The tricky part will be figuring out which cable you can use for what features. Can this cable support charging and high speed data or just charging. Hopefully the cable internals are such that a fully capable data cable will do video or data and not require some other special cable.