• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A very valid technical point

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
It's something I've always pondered, and I concluded the manufacturer can't conclude the modder has invalidated his \ her warrenty, but heres just one of many ramblings that goes on up in my head.

Youve just gone and bought a new component..(hey good for you!) for sake of argument we will use a graphics card for the example. Now as a modder worth any weight in his salt you inspect the card in detail before putting it in, making a note of the type of memory you have. Googling reveals your memory to be better than the card actually needs to run at stock frequencies (we will say for sake of argument the card requires 1.4ns memory for stock frequencies, but the card is equipped with 1.1ns memory) So you decide to OC the memory to 1.7GHz. (still within the frequencies set by the memory manufacturer of 1.8GHz)

Now heres the most interesting bit, we will say for sake of argument the card you bought is unstable due to poor memory timings being set in the cards BIOS, and even changing the timings to reference frequencies the memory manufacturer recommends does not work. You contact the graphics card manufacturer requesting a BIOS update, explaining the issue and as your confident in your skills (for sake of argument we will say you can proficiently program with HEX and your job is system memory tech support - so you are well versed in how memory works and what each timing does) You get a reply back from the manufacturer stating they will not help as you have "invalidated" your warrenty.

and heres the posed question, by increasing your memory frequency (yet still keeping it below the memory manufacturers specification) how have you "invalidated" your warrenty? As technically, you have not OCd the card at all - in fact the frequency set for the memory is still under spec and not being pushed beyond.

Just thought it might be an interesting point to duke out :pimp:

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
You have invalidated the warranty as you have modified the card to a spec different then what it was produced and sold as. In the fine print of almost any warranty it will include a modification clause, something along the lines of "modification from factory spec".

As far as your scenario goes, voltmod the b*tch!

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Software Windows 10 x64
In theory that works. I havent seen any warrenty that has anything along those lines tho, just something along the lines of forbidding you from removing the stock cooler and putting a decent one on :wtf: Most extreme scenario is you reflashed the card with its BIOS, just with the modified timings and clocks, this cannot be considered modding imo as its just software. Its not like your adding\replacing something physical on the card.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
You are still modifying the card from stock. When you buy the card the warranty agreement is for that card, as it comes out of the box. Not over clocked 20% by a diff bios. It's like buying a Corvette and asking Chevy for a better fuel mapping. Sure they can do it, but they would rather sell it to you as an upgrade, and kill the warranty so they are no longer liable.

You buy what they sell. If that isn't good enough, then diy.

By changing anything, it is a modification or mod. Soft-mod/Hard-mod, it doesn't matter. It is still a modification in the manufacturer's eyes.

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Software Windows 10 x64
Its a poor excuse. Especially with many manufacturers actively encouraging OCing by even bundling their own OC software.

Processor Intel C2D E6420 (3.2 gHz @ 1.365v)
Motherboard Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Memory 4 x 512mb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 667
Video Card(s) Visiontek HD 4870 512mb
Storage 200gb Maxtor SATA, 400gb WD SATA
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Software Windows XP Pro SP2
And by using the supplied OC software (for whatever reason), it would invalidate the warranty as well?

System Name Sony Vaio - VGNFW390-CTO
Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66GHz)
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM (pitiful card)
Storage 320GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [7200 rpm]
Display(s) LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-FullHD™)
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX
Software Windows 7
Hmmm... You make a good point. So, say in theory the actual stock setting turned out to be less than what it was meant to be in this scenario? If so, I can see where you're coming from.

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Software Windows 10 x64
anti: I'm not sure on that, depends on the manufacturer. Tho most would say the warrenty is void I would think even if you used their own OC software. Ironic that isnt it? manufacturer promotes OCing, actively encouraging it in various forms, then when someone needs an RMA cos they cooked it, then manufacturer backtracks and screams "warrenty void!"

demon: I'm only coming from the perspective of regardless of the frequency the graphics manufacturer clocked the memory at, because you had a component rated better than the use it was being deployed on, you would not void warrenty by OCing that part of the component as it was still operating under its rated speed, and thus the warrenty with the manufacturer shouldnt be void as its there to prevent over pushing (aka running a component faster than its official specification) But in this scenario, the memory is not being run faster than ITS (not the manufacturers) specification. As the memory was rated to run much faster its not being pushed beyond its official specification, thus the warrenty being voided by OCing is null and void in itself as the memory is still running slower than its official specification.

System Name Sony Vaio - VGNFW390-CTO
Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66GHz)
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3650 with 512MB vRAM (pitiful card)
Storage 320GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [7200 rpm]
Display(s) LCD 16.4" (XBRITE-FullHD™)
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX
Software Windows 7
Ah, okay I see what you're saying. Yes, that is an interesting point...

P

psychomage343

yes you do violate the warranty if you use their own oc software, it's stated in most of the programs that the program is provided as is and that the company is in no way responsible for your card or computer should issues arise with usage of the software and how your card reacts under the softwares control.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Valid point, but the manufacturers certainly don't look at it that way. You mod, you own.

D

Deleted member 24505

does that apply to motherboards that have a fsb range upto 600 too? does it invalidate the warranty by oc'ing the motherboard?

surely if they sell it with overclocking options it wont invalidate the warranty by overclocking it.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
does that apply to motherboards that have a fsb range upto 600 too? does it invalidate the warranty by oc'ing the motherboard?

surely if they sell it with overclocking options it wont invalidate the warranty by overclocking it.

heres a car.

Heres a turbo charger.

Heres a can of NOS.

Blow your engine, you can fix it.
'
I do believe however..

buy card-> Unstable
OC/UC, change timings, still unstable

Warranty says it was DOA before you tried to get it working.

System Name Senile
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10

Wow we're getting into ethics here. In my mind, the answer is no, becuase they are directly giving you the tools to damage your system, so I don't think it invlaidates the warranty. I recall a conversation with Abit years ago on a 440BX board, where they would not TECHNICALLY SUPPORT overclocking, but certainly made and marketed the motherboard as an overclockers board.

Now if you start getting into physical voltmods and custom bios, things are different.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Wow we're getting into ethics here. In my mind, the answer is no, becuase they are directly giving you the tools to damage your system, so I don't think it invlaidates the warranty. I recall a conversation with Abit years ago on a 440BX board, where they would not TECHNICALLY SUPPORT overclocking, but certainly made and marketed the motherboard as an overclockers board.

Now if you start getting into physical voltmods and custom bios, things are different.

This concept is OK.

Until you take it to the extreme.

a DFI mobo allows some pretty insane voltages.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
At the end of the day, if you screwed up a graphics card by overclocking it via ATiTool and admitted this when trying to perform an RMA, the retailer would say that your warranty is void (in 9/10 cases anyway) because youve 'messed around' with the stock settings (which in most retailers eyes is very bad)

The bottom line is this "honesty is not always the best policy", when retuning or complaining about an item, never admit youve 'tweaked' it in any kind of way. The retailer has every right to be this way because they set the standards as to how the product runs (on paper anyway), not the consumer!

I think they see it this way, if you want a faster graphics card/CPU etc, just shell out the extra cash and buy better :(

My moto is: "dont admit anything" ;) LOL (if it dies just return it as 'faulty', muhahahaha)

System Name Senile
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
rofl. Amen to that. Though, I have not yet had to RMA any computer parts.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
rofl. Amen to that. Though, I have not yet had to RMA any computer parts.

I have yet to receive a dead part myself. When I killed my 9600pro (80mm fan bracket touched a ram bga..ooh the colors) I bit the bullet and got a new card.

The policy that if it is your fault it died, be it overclocking or modding, then the warrenty is void is a general consensus. BFG, DFI and a few other companies will allow overclocking as long as that isn't the reason the part failed. Such as sending a motherboard back that would go non-responsive at a 5mhz overclock when it was designed to do much more.

The scenario dippy described with a fudge card is 100% true, and should be rma'ed.

Manufacturer supplied overclocking tools usually have a limit they will go to if they are covered by the warranty. The Sapphire Trixx program would only let me overclock 50mhz for example. Others such as Asus Ai-tools have no true limit. I'm rather interested in reading the warranty.

On my DFI ut-ultra d the Manual says overclocking is fine, but makes sure to stress cooling and concern about the ram vreg and pwms.

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Software Windows 10 x64
This isnt about ethics, its pure and simple on technicality. If a manufacturer doesnt want you to OC the solution is very simple, DONT actively promote and encourage it if you dont have the balls to back it up, and certainly dont use components such as memory that are rated well above and beyond specification the product actualy requires. If a component is rated for 900MHz by the component provider, but the manufacturer of the graphics card only runs it at 700MHz, there is no warrenty invalidation imo as no component has been pushed beyond its paper-spec capabilities.