• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A wtf day.

BobBarr

So after getting home from classes today after standing outside in the cold for an hour due to a bomb threat I went to boot up my comp and walked away. Later I came back and I find a black screen and an error message saying no bootable drives found. So I was pissed like you normally would be because I lost three hard drives worth of data.Yea not just the o/s EVERYTHING. I started throwing stuff etc but whatever. I start a reinstall of my win7 and check once again if my drives were wiped and they were in fact wiped. I reinstall and start to load my software and device drivers and after over an hour of working on my linksys wireless g adapter and having no success my temper starts to heighten but w/e. So I test all my hardware and everything works but my wireless card. I used every possible driver from linksys support and even the one I used before I lost all my data. It's a no go. The card is definitely dead. I bring my dilemma into class and discuss what could've gone wrong that would wipe all my data and fry my pci card. We led to nowhere that makes any sense. I was using a surge protector( I unplug everything when I leave anyway), my o/s was clean and I was sure I had no malware,viruses w/e. I know that everything was working fine when I left it the night before. Now I'm here to find answers. Can anyone suggest what could have brought about this nightmare and advise me if you had any of the same problems?
All in all I lost all my years worth of work, programs, irreplaceable files(that I had backed up to a separate drive just for backups which is now blank of course) and all I want to know at this point what could have possibly done this. Thanks to any support from the community, I'm gonna go rage now.

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
may i suggest taking a shotgun to the pc and starting 100% fresh with a new rig? It would allow you express all your hatred and aggression towards your pc and then afterwards you can do the new pc happy dance when your parts come in the mail? :toast:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
wow, even your external? power surge doesn't make sense if your stuff is still working (minus the pci card) but the data was wiped... maybe something magnetic/emp?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
PCI clocks out of spec from overclocking could cause drive corruption, and kill sensitive devices on the PCI bus.
Powersupply issue.
Surge on the mains.
The card could have died and taken the drives with it by some freack chance.

Before you reformat anything else, then you should try a drive recovery utility, and or a drive health utility, and test your entire system before investing more time and money in a failing system if there is somethign wrong. I once spent 6 hours on a failed drive controller.

The only real backup is one that stays safe from the source, like a removable hard drive, or a burned DVD/Blu-Ray.

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
wow, even your external? power surge doesn't make sense if your stuff is still working (minus the pci card) but the data was wiped... maybe something magnetic/emp?

EMP - James Bond EMP stuff ? :D. I think that HDD drives are protected from EMP.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
You've tried the drives in another PC to see if there's data there? Even replaced the controller boards on the drives?

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
ALWAYS remove the drives and try to save stuff off a dif computer if you have anything important before you erase anything.

When I have a really shitty day like that I go to the movies and chill before I screw anything else up.

And if you fill out the Computer Specs it makes it easier or us to be useful..

System Name Kablamo
Processor Some Intel i5
Motherboard some gigabyte board
Cooling h80i
Memory samsung sticks that got a good review a few years back
Video Card(s) 6950 acting like a 6970
Storage some solid state ocz drives
Display(s) Samsung T260HD (1920 x 1200)
Case bitfenix microatx case
Audio Device(s) hyperx cloud II
Power Supply corsair 750 or similar
Mouse M65
Keyboard g510
Software win 10
find it hard to believe that three drive just blanked themselves irreversibly. Get yourself a hiren's boot disc and play around with the recovery programs. all your stuff is still there it just needs to be found.

TripleDesi

Power Surge

I'm assuming your hard drives are "fried" and not wiped. If you are saying the hard drives are literally wiped clean but readable, then I'm sorry, I think you have a stalker who's out to get you.

If various parts of your computer have summarily fried, then it's got to be a power surge. Your surge protector may have malfunctioned - I had one in 2006 take my stereo equipment to hell and back.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Sorry for being cynical, but if indeed your hard disks were wiped clean, I'm worried for you. You have an antisocial element lurking thereabouts. Did you have any fight with anyone lately. Scorned girlfriend perhaps? Fatal Attraction types? :eek:

I'm assuming your hard drives are "fried" and not wiped. If you are saying the hard drives are literally wiped clean but readable, then I'm sorry, I think you have a stalker who's out to get you.

If various parts of your computer have summarily fried, then it's got to be a power surge. Your surge protector may have malfunctioned - I had one in 2006 take my stereo equipment to hell and back.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Sorry for being cynical, but if indeed your hard disks were wiped clean, I'm worried for you. You have an antisocial element lurking thereabouts. Did you have any fight with anyone lately. Scorned girlfriend perhaps? Fatal Attraction types? :eek:

I was thinking the exact same thing. If the hard drives are just blanked, but still functional (which it looks like from the OP)...then there is definitely some tomfoolery afoot!

Sounds like *some* sort of human intervention happened somewhere along the line. :twitch:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
A fried drive couldn't reinstall windows. It would be dead. A drive that has suffered a controller malfunction can damage the MBR/bootsector/data but not really kill a drive so that it works later.

System Name WTF it actually turns on!
Processor AMD FX-8350
Motherboard MSI 990fxa-gd80
Cooling Raystorm swiftech mcp655 xspc dual bay res Rx240 Rs240
Memory 16gb ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) Power color R9 280x
Storage 2x1tb+2x2tb seagates
Display(s) 27" Samsung S27B350H
Case Tt core v51
Power Supply CORSAIR GS700
A fried drive couldn't reinstall windows. It would be dead. A drive that has suffered a controller malfunction can damage the MBR/bootsector/data but not really kill a drive so that it works later.
Also a bad/corrupt or missing MFT (Master File Table) can make a drive unreadable or blank (and all data still be there).

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Are you a Sagittarius because I had 1 heck of day today too.

But what are the odds that some sort of mechanical / electrical failure caused a controller malfunction on *three* seperate hard drives, yet left everything else (except his wireless adapter) intact?

Just seems highly suspicious to me.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Also a bad/corrupt or missing MFT (Master File Table) can make a drive unreadable or blank (and all data still be there).

A corrupt MFT will only show the drive as damaged, but still bootable. The message he got tells us that the boot sector is either damaged or corrupt. If the boot sector was still intact the hook and jump would take place and the boot error message would not be one from the BIOS, but either one from windoes, or nothign else would happen.

But what are the odds that some sort of mechanical / electrical failure caused a controller malfunction on *three* seperate hard drives, yet left everything else (except his wireless adapter) intact?

Just seems highly suspicious to me.

It is, but the weakest links are usually the hard drives as they have tiny wiring inside the heads. I have seen more head failures on drives (the click of death) than any other failure. And power issues are the most reasonable suspect as we know a CPU can take a bit of overvoltage as it has chokes and other wiring to filter and protect, memory can take a bit of overvoltage as it too has regulators, but the drives are connected directly to the PSU with no volage regulation. The PCI bus uses the 3.3v provided by the powersupply rail directly. So more than likely the culprit was a powersupply, a surge or spike causing overvoltage on the 3.3v output and damaging the card on the PCI bus, the controller on the bus and causing corruption of the drives.

Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
get those backup drives out of your computer before you overwrite them! Data doesnt just disappear off hard drives. as long as you dont overwrite them, your files can be recovered.

BobBarr

The drives are 100% working and the o/s ran fine after my reinstall of win 7 x64. I did a power supply test and it appears to be working properly and I left the computer run for 2 hours to notice if there were any irregularities. I brought the drives in to our building to my instructor and we hooked them up to our system that we put together just for recovering lost data. We were not able to recover anything at all, as if the data was never even there. Over the events that transpired my first thoughts wandered over this "Operation Aurora" crap and everything thats been happening but I know that those threats are unlikely in this situation. Some of my friends said it sounded like I got hacked. I was told to put a call into Comcast to see if they could provide answers which I know they won't.
My linksys card is def gone. KIA I guess. Before when opening my case I noticed a faint smell that I didn't recognize and after testing everything I can only assume it came from the fried card.

I really am considering selling off my parts that I know work and either work on a new build or wait until I got my stuff with graduation stuff done etc.

To the comment about someone deliberately coming in my house to screw with my stuff I can say this. No one in my abode has any technical knowledge of computers at all. I convinced my dad to change the locks after my crazy gf(we've all had em). And unless someone from the CIA came into my house then I can safely say this didn't happen in a physical form and I have a lock on the back of my case anyway. Still working on it for a few more hours as I type this.

Cheers!