• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A4Tech Bloody RT7 Repair report (lazy sunday)

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Hi everyone!
I figured I'd start sharing some random repair logs from my workshop, cause I have no other hobbies, and someone might find this useful (maybe not today, but decades from now).
I'm too lazy to do extensive youtube videos, so we'll go with some mundane stuff like pictures, diagrams and text :laugh:
Plus, I don't have a good camera...

Maybe this info will be useful or at least interesting to someone, so don't throw any rotten tomatoes, and just enjoy some boring reading materials.

Today on my surgical desk I found a brand new Bloody RT7 wireless gaming mouse with an unusual factory defect: it did not properly sense the charge of the internal battery and always reported it as empty.
It worked fine when hooked up to the charger, but once disconnected - the indicator drops to 0%, the mouse starts to blink fast (indicating low charge), and shuts down within a minute.

This is what it does when connected to PC:
IMG_20180105_172149.jpg

Here's the mouse, already disassembled:
IMG_20180105_171644.jpg

It's a fairly standard layout for a "slightly-above-average" wireless mouse. It has the same old NRF24L01 controller for wireless communication (used in anything from cheap $2 laptop mice to high-end Logitech G-series wireless mice), also has an entry-level AVAGO A3050 optical sensor and a SONIX USB HID controller. Brief initial inspection showed that everything on the PCB is powered from a built-in 2.8V step-down converter, which made my life easier in finding the sensing circuit (should be the only part besides charging IC that is connected directly to the battery).

My first suspect was a faulty battery, but my multimeter said otherwise: it was almost fully charged and did not show any signs of malfunctioning.
After a wasted minute of poking and prodding random stuff with my multimeter I finally found the sensing part.
I say "wasted", because afterwards I found an ADC testpoint on the flipside of the PCB, made specifically for dumbassess like me... :banghead:
IMG_20180105_172503.jpg IMG_20180105_172439.jpgIMG_20180105_171926.jpg
Also, notice my contraption for holding a probe on a ground pin :roll: I was using my other hand to hold the phone...

Basically, it uses a voltage divider to sense the current from the battery and keep this signal under 2.8V:
div.PNG

As you can see, R30 and R31 form a voltage divider, and for some reason engineers at A4Tech added a bypass capacitor, which is totally pointless cause there should be no significant voltage spikes or jitter on this line (there are already too many caps near the battery and charging circuit to take care of this problem).

From the high-school physics class you should know that our at 4.1V should give approximately 2.6V on the sense pin, so something is pulling that value lower than it should be (only 2.2V is there), which can be a bad resistor, bad cap, bad soldering etc.

My measurements confirmed that both resistors are OK, so the only remaining suspect was that bypass cap. After removing it, I tested the mouse and... oh miracle.... it came back to life! :D

IMG_20180105_173151.jpgIMG_20180105_173830.jpg

Now I finally have something more intimidating than a semi-working-sparkly-white-mini-wireless-mouse-for-kids to use in my workshop.

Thank you for your attention, and if you want more stuff like this, or more complex repair logs - let me know.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I liked the write up.

System Name Winter Heater
Processor Intel Core I7 5820k@4250 Mhz
Motherboard ASUS x99 Deluxe
Cooling Cryorig H5
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 + 2x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) OEM GTX 970
Storage Seagate ST4000VN000, Hitachi 2TB, Crucial CX500 1TB
Display(s) LG 23EA63
Case Thermaltake Versa N21
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
I love repair logs! Keep them coming :)

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Nicely done :)

Lachy

Greetings, I made this account to post this comment and hopefully you can help me out with a couple questions.
I love the R30 Wireless, has the exact same issue. I've tested the battery and it's fine, I just need to know which cap specifically to remove and how to go about removing it. Not wanting to venture in to the unknown and potentially ruin the entire thing. Cheers!

37954485_1756903477678545_954393062325354496_n.jpg

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
I was nearly bought it

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Greetings, I made this account to post this comment and hopefully you can help me out with a couple questions.
I love the R30 Wireless, has the exact same issue. I've tested the battery and it's fine, I just need to know which cap specifically to remove and how to go about removing it. Not wanting to venture in to the unknown and potentially ruin the entire thing. Cheers!

It's hard to tell for sure without poking and prodding around w/ multimeter. If you are not familiar with basic electronics, then it's probably better to find someone more experienced.
Otherwise, here's what I see:
bypass.png

I am not 100% sure, but it looks quite close. In order to confirm it you'll need a multimeter w/ continuity test function and some steady hands. One of those resistors must be directly connected to the battery's "+" terminal (probably the one marked "104"). The second one ("124") should go to the ground. The other two pins of both are connected together and the trace will go to one of the pins of that SONIX microcontroller. A nearby cap should be on the same circuit. Also, you may want to flip the board and find a test pad marked "ADC". If you have it - it'll help you to locate the voltage sensing ciruit (our target capacitor is connected to it on one end, and to ground on the other).
In order to remove this cap you'll need a hot air rework station. There are some crude ways of de-soldering it with a regular soldering iron (which you can find on Youtube) but you can damage nearby traces or accidentally remove something else along with the cap, so you have to be very-very careful. Breaking it off the board is also a bad idea.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Man look at this guy making an account with the same issue (allegedly) that you just wrote a guide for, and you here picking it apart. Jesus this is why I love TPU god I miss this kind of stuff. I encourage anyone with any kind of talent or training in a specific field and an unbias heart to contribute guides or writeups like this.

This is the kind of shit that benefits people, not AMD and Intel buyers picking apart each others mothers over a damn platform. great GREAT work @silentbogo

DeVolf

Hey ho! Recently my R30 stoped working. I have found this post and checked my VbatRef, it was 2.4V. But according to my calculations should be 2.64V. I have checked everything, values and traces, but no luck. Mice didn't wakes up from clicks and shows only "charging" status (according led)
The most funny thins is that actually mice lost connection from a dongle. Not because hardware. RMC to tray icon of Bloody -> Pairing (Or how it called on your language) , after finishing onscreen instructions every thing works as it was.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
The most funny thins is that actually mice lost connection from a dongle. Not because hardware. RMC to tray icon of Bloody -> Pairing (Or how it called on your language) , after finishing onscreen instructions every thing works as it was.
Yep, also had a few with pairing issues. Just needed to follow the factory reset and pairing procedure, and that was it.
Also, what I like about this series is that receivers are interchangeable, just like on Logitech mice.
Regarding voltage: your battery might've been discharged a bit, hence the lower voltage. 2.4V on the feedback pin is an equivalent of ~50-60% charge, so it wasn't a power issue.

System Name Zangief (Reborn)
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 1700X @ 3.825ghz , 1.35v
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K7 Rev 1.0 BIOS F51e
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Push / Push Config | 2x ML120 | 2x Phanteks 120 mm
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz cl 16 @ 1.45v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 +100 core / +550 mem
Storage 250 GB Samsung Evo 850 / 1tb WD Black / 4tb WD Blue / 512GB Adata XPG Pro SX8200
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU |Asus VX239H 23" AH-IPS Led
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek HD / Logitech G633/G933 Gaming Headset / Corsair H70 Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Logitech G903 and G602 Wireless Gaming | Logitech Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Red | Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry Browns | Akko 3908N TTC Flame Reds
Software Windows 11 Pro
I miss this kinds of things, nowadays everything is just a video with a bit explanation. I like pictures and walls of text to explain how to fix this and that.

It's just much easier for me to understand.

Keep up the good work!

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
@silentbogo, can you say more about factory reset, please?
Once paired, just chose another "Core" mode and then switch back (in Bloody software). E.g. if you are on Core 1, switch to Core 2, wait for settings to update, and then switch back to Core 1 and wait for it to finish. If you want to do a full reset, you can "soft-brick" the mouse on purpose by disconnecting it from PC while switching profiles (e.g. unplug the receiver before progress bar reaches the end). Then, plug in the USB cable and the software will restore the firmware, then do the pairing again. This is dangerous, but that's the way I've recovered a few RT7 and R70 mice with pairing issues.

Darvos

Once paired, just chose another "Core" mode and then switch back (in Bloody software). E.g. if you are on Core 1, switch to Core 2, wait for settings to update, and then switch back to Core 1 and wait for it to finish. If you want to do a full reset, you can "soft-brick" the mouse on purpose by disconnecting it from PC while switching profiles (e.g. unplug the receiver before progress bar reaches the end). Then, plug in the USB cable and the software will restore the firmware, then do the pairing again. This is dangerous, but that's the way I've recovered a few RT7 and R70 mice with pairing issues.

Hey SilentBogo, thank you for your post, I have a R80 mouse and I simply LOVE this bastard, I love it so much this is my second one, cuz in less than a year my previous one just broke, so I got a new one, but not after trying every damn possible thing to fix its board. the problem with my previous item was the pointer simply stop working out of the suddently.
But lucky me, my new mouse, from a little more than 1 year of use, also presented the SAME EXACTLY ISSUE. I never open this one but since the warranty is out of dated i'm gonna try removing this piece of garbage of a bypass cap. I noticed a problem with my battery, the inconsistency, by battery goes from 96% to 56% every damn time a reconnect the dongle.

And brother let me tell you, I made the account on this forum for this post and if your solution fix my mouse I would be mode than happy to give you a tip over pay pal.

again, Wonderful work, as soon as I have a result I'm gonna give you the feedback

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
again, Wonderful work, as soon as I have a result I'm gonna give you the feedback
Thx, dude. Let me know how it goes.

Regarding a "jumpy" cursor - that's usually the receiver issue. Gotta play with RX/TX power settings, or with receiver positioning (absolutely gotta use that USB extension cable).
I have the exact same problem on my new Logitech G603, which works fine on the full battery charge, but once it gets past 50% I have to unpack the cable.
I don't have any Bloody mice left, but before selling them off I had an idea about adding external antennas to the receiver and the mouse. I think you can add one by removing one small SMD inductor near NRF24L01 chip, and soldering a wire or a laptop wifi antenna-sticker onto the input side (similar to old wireless mouse range boost hack).

Darvos

Thank you for the quick answer SilentBogo, unfortunately ripping of the cap didn't solve my problem, I even tried to reset the dongle, even Open the dongle up but no success, I re solder the main optic chip and the mouse came back to life but for only 30 minutes, just like the last one, all other function of the mouse works properly and flawlessly, but the mouse is not moving anymore, I though my first one was a bad of mine, but after spending hours with my multi-meter trying to get any bad component was prob blocking the signal wave of the optical sensor and no success I might just buy another Wireless mouse.

Anyway thank you for the tips Silentbogo, and I'm not done yet, so if u have any schematics of any bloody mouse for me or a got indication of an good wireless rechargeable mouse, I would be thanking you for ever my friend.

EDIT:
I just realize it has to be some kind of a capacitor connected to the ground in between the output of the chip and the input of the ADC, on the first though I was assuming the heat of the solder iron was taking the mouse back to life, but know I think I just discharged the bastard! damn I think I might save this one!!

EDIT 2: Hooooly ***** its an SPI interface, Some clock frequency as an arduino but no capacitors in the middle of the data lines! damn, new plan, gonna try to manualy discharge the caps until I find the right one to take carefully out .

Results:

Well, I made it and you not gonna believe it, i'm just gonna run a few test to see if everything is actually working fine, but first let me tell u this, the problem was on the LED pin of the 3050 Microchip, yes, the LED pin which control the led brightness. I will do a full report as soon as I'm 100% confident Is fully working and functional.

Last edited:

drejtori69

Hello,

I am sorry for reopening this old thread but as the author @silentbogo said: "someone might find this useful (maybe not today, but decades from now)." :D
I have a Bloody R80, and it randomly disconnects for 1 sec maybe 4-5 times a day. When this happens the mouse does not work to any command and shuts down its lights(for 1 sec) and then turns on. Even when i am not using it.
I tried with different computers and the problems still persists.
I know that the thread is not about this issue but this is the only thread in the internet for bloody mouse that has a lot of discussion in it.
Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
That's common on their wireless mice. I had quite a few units with that same problem, basically it loses signal from base station if there's too much interference.
What I found to be the most effective solution is:
1) Use the bundled receiver stand (USB extension cord). Those puny receivers are too weak, so they can lose signal even when plugged into the front panel USB less than a meter away from the mouse.
2) In Bloody software you need to drop the polling rate to 500Hz (or lower). 1kHz is super-unstable.
3) Do RF calibration(under "Zero frequency offset")
4) Try playing around with transmission boost (sometimes it can make things worse, but in few cases it helped a lot)
Basically your goal is to make sure that RF signal always stays at 100%. Even at 90% it's gonna lose packets occasionally or fall asleep.

If nothing helps, just RMA it. I've tried to boost the signal on one of my R70's back in a day, and even with decent external antennas it was buggy as hell. They are using generic NRF24L01 chips (same ones used in cheap Arduino 2.4GHz 6-channel tranceivers), and without an amp they are total garbage. Still have a box of dead electronics projects based on those(tried to make a remote for my friend's "RC bait boat" for his fishing trips)

drejtori69

Thanx for the reply. So basically no more Bloody wireless mouse :kookoo:. I thought for the price they were really good mice but this problem its kind of boring.
It happens when i play FPS games, and i usually end up dead :D. I tried in the past solution 1 and 4 from your list and it kind of helped.
I am gonna try 2 and 3 because i tend to let the frequency to max (max for my model is 500Hz). and i have turned off RF Calibration.
I will report again with the results but as you said i got what i paid for i think.
Kudos for "RC bait boat"

McTommy

Hey I've got the very same mouse with a very similar issue, the difference is that on my mouse it shows varying % of battery. If I unplug and plug the mouse the battery % will change. Do you by any chance have a picture that shows the exact position of the bypass capacitor. I would've went to someone who does this professionally but I am a college student and I kind of need it right now. Thanks in advance.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Hey I've got the very same mouse with a very similar issue, the difference is that on my mouse it shows varying % of battery.
Pretty sure it's a sign of a dying battery. Fortunately it can be replaced with pretty much any Li-Ion battery, all you need is to transplant the +/- wires, or find one with the same connector/pinout.
Something like this:

...or maybe a 16340 cell(it might fit in that compartment).
The original one is 600mA.

I no longer have that mouse, but you can see that capacitor in my first post. Highlighted with green rectangle is a sensing circuit. Two resistors at the top, and cap right below.
But I'd start with the battery - it's the most likely suspect.

BTW, found a video with 16340 replacement procedure. Come to find out, the stock battery is actually two cheap-ass 300mAh cells wrapped together w/ common protection board. No wonder they died... :banghead:

Last edited:

McTommy

Thank you for the response although I don't think it is the battery dying. I bought this mouse 2 days ago brand new, besides that and my mouse isn't shutting off, it just starts blinking even though I use it for hours on end. I just charge it regularly regardless of what the indicator is showing, but still I would rather like if it were correct. It said 7% 4 hours ago it is still going.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
Ok, but before you do anything drastic, why not just take it back to the seller? If it really was brand new, it should still have 12mo warranty...
The reason I mention battery, is because RT7/R70 is a 2015-2016 model and definitely EoL by now. Regular Li-Ion batteries have a typical shelf life of 5-6 years, and with two shitty cells in parallel you can easily cut it in half. Could've been sitting on the shelf in some warehouse all these years.
If you still want to fix it on your own - you can try removing that capacitor. It doesn't really do anything anyways)))
But if it doesn't help - at least you know what to do next.

McTommy

Alright I'll check if the battery is the issue if it is I'll just replace it. Thanks for the quick and helpful responses cheers.

aliaksandr

I replaced the original battery by "602248 3.7V 600mAh Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Battery" 2.2$
from aliexpress
1667720485092.png