• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Abit AB9 Pro MB and E8XXX series cpu BIOS :)

Hey guys. Im running the Abit ab9pro motherboard with the P965 chipset. I am really interested in getting the new Wolfdale core Intel Core 2 Duo E8400. I feel bad about it, cause I have been running Intel chips for a while now and would love to support AMD while in times of there struggle. But, for the price this chip packs alot of punch. WHATEVER, I have contacted ABIT and they gave a Beta bios for the board which supports E8XXX series cpus. It's a build of there latest version 23 bios, so enjoy. BTW as always, Im not responsable for you frying your board if you do not understand how to flash your bios. Attached is the bios, and I also included Abit's guide to bios flashing....

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bioshelp.php

Also, if you think you are having trouble with the name of the bios, rename it ".bin" and make sure you type the name in correctly when in the a: prompt

Attachments

• M516A_23.zip
    425.9 KB · Views: 5,753
Last edited:

paulo7

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-750 Processor
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling standard atm
Video Card(s) 4870
Storage Samsung F1
Display(s) 24 inch ocuk value (ace4price)
Case Antec 900
Power Supply SilverStone Zeus ST65ZF 650w
Hey dude sounds good any luck in trying it out yet? Also Ive been having some problems oc a 6300 on this board any help would be appreciated

Thx

Paul

Yeah, I have already flashed no problem. WOO HOOO, But I dont have my E8400 Yet. But as for stability for the bios, its fine and im sure its going to be be fine with the new chips.

For your overclock, I need a little info from you buddy.

What is your processor at now MHZ?

What is the processor voltage?

What kind of memory speed and timings and voltage, brand and memory modules would help to if you know that?

And, have you used a memory divider yet?

And go a little more in-depth about your overclock to, what happening with it, what kind of troubles are you having?

paulo7

Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling standard atm
Video Card(s) 4870
Storage Samsung F1
Case Antec 900
Thanks for the response, looking good then! Guessing u cant rele be too sure until u test it though? Did u flash it from within windows?

I havent had any problems as such just need some guidance as to what I can realistically achieve and whether it would be worthwhile doing as might just get the wolfdale soon but Id love to experiment safely ocing.

Is it worth using the on the fly oc in ocguru? in windows? as it seems be a bit easier then messing with bios but then again I dont know how much ability there is to change stuff here

What cooling are you using? Ive jus got stock atm so doubt ill get too high a fsb on that

how important is it to change mem timings? as that gets me confused a bit

also ive heard some ppl have problems with our boards have u had/found the same?

Ive got stock cooling and pcz 6400 (800) memory 2 gig (4*512)
2 * 512MB AeneonMajor, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-12

(2x512MB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-12 Not sure about CAS on this one might be 4-4-4-12

Thanks for the response, looking good then! Guessing u cant rele be too sure until u test it though? Did u flash it from within windows?

I havent had any problems as such just need some guidance as to what I can realistically achieve and whether it would be worthwhile doing as might just get the wolfdale soon but Id love to experiment safely ocing.

Is it worth using the on the fly oc in ocguru? in windows? as it seems be a bit easier then messing with bios but then again I dont know how much ability there is to change stuff here

What cooling are you using? Ive jus got stock atm so doubt ill get too high a fsb on that

also ive heard some ppl have problems with our boards have u had/found the same?

2 * 512MB AeneonMajor, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-12

(2x512MB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-12 Not sure about CAS on this one might be 4-4-4-12

A: I always flash through booting into DOS with a boot disk, Its the safest way, I have never flashed through windows, I don't trust it.

Is it worth using the on the fly oc in ocguru? in windows? as it seems be a bit easier then messing with bios but then again I dont know how much ability there is to change stuff here?
A: Again, its always the best to use the BIOS for your overclock, it is a true overclock. However, it is possible to use overclocking on the fly to find your max OC potential, or the "sweet spot". Once found, use the same timings in the bios.

What cooling are you using? Ive jus got stock atm so doubt ill get too high a fsb on that?
I have the Arctic Freezer 7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

$22 from newegg. I Idle at 29, and full load 59, thats after 6 hours of orthos stress test.
My FSB is set at 280 (Stock 200).

MEM timings are a funny thing. They are great for faster response, BUT for overclocking lower timings are nice because when you start to overclock you stress the ram at higher frequencies. As you raise the front side bus, you not only raise the frequency of the processor, but the ram is raised in sequence with it. Soo, with the timings, the higher the frequency the harder the ram is working so it becomes crucial that you "loosen" the timings to reduce heat and increase stability after you reach a certain OC and the ram becomes unstable.

I have had no problems what so ever. I did alot of research on our board before I got it, and the main problem people were crying about , is ram compatibility. Our boards come out of the box with a very predated BIOS, so its almost REQUIRED to flash your bios to the latest as soo as you get it powered on. Thus, fixing any issues that people are complaining about.

paulo7 is online now Report Post Thanks

Well, this is is something that is going to hold you back potentially. As all ram OC's different, same as the processor. It is never a good idea to run two different brands as this will highly limit your OC. Just the same as running 4 gigs instead of two. The best setup for OC, is 2 x 1GB sticks that come in a pair. I bought two stick of SUPERTALENT form newegg, also very cheap and I have mine running at 933 MHZ from 800MHZ. Stable all day. Also, with this ram, I was able to keep the stock settings of 4-4-3-8 2T at that speed ;) .

my setup Im running in the bios
CPU FSB 280 x 10 which equals 2.8 GHZ (Stock 2.0 GHZ)
N / B strap is set to DDR2800
Divider is set at 3/5 DDR 667, this brought the memory to 933MHZ while the processor is at 2.8 GHZ. This is very important because if you run a 1/1 ratio. When you OC your FSB, it will bring your ram WAY out of speck, causing a NON boot, then you would have to clear the cmos and start again.

CPU is at 1.31v(stock 1.29 - 1.35)
Ram 2.2 v (stock recommendations)

And remember, don't be set on going into the bios and setting your timings once and saying sweet , its done. I rebooted a good 20 times before I found where I wanted to be. Start small, boot into windows, and run http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/orthos_exe_20060420.cab I like this because it stresses both cores automatically for our dual core processors. Run for a few hours to test stability. If its fine, no errors or locking up, then go back into the bios and bump it up somemore. Repeat this, unitl you start having stability issues, then maybe try a new memory divider bringing the frequency down. Or just back down to the last stable setting and keep it there.

Last edited:

paulo7

Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling standard atm
Video Card(s) 4870
Storage Samsung F1
Case Antec 900
Yeah thought the ram might be a problem, the corsair is lower latency (4-4-4) so I could just remove the cheap stuff?

atm in CPU Z it says that the corsair ram SPD in slots 2 and 4 is running at 270 MHz whereas the other ram in one and three is running at 400MHz is this right? or do i need to configure it to get the best speed?

Also im only using bios version 15 atm so I might need to upgrade this but this would be inevitable if I get the wolfdale

What do u think leave it all alone and see how u guys find the wolfdale compatibility with this board and if successful just get that or just have some fun tweaking lol

What does the rated FSB mean in CPU Z?
Atm my FSB is 293 * 7 = 2051 with uGuru on turbo

Yeah thought the ram might be a problem, the corsair is lower latency (4-4-4) so I could just remove the cheap stuff?

atm in CPU Z it says that the corsair ram SPD in slots 2 and 4 is running at 270 MHz whereas the other ram in one and three is running at 400MHz is this right? or do i need to configure it to get the best speed?

Also im only using bios version 15 atm so I might need to upgrade this but this would be inevitable if I get the wolfdale

What do u think leave it all alone and see how u guys find the wolfdale compatibility with this board and if successful just get that or just have some fun tweaking lol

What does the rated FSB mean in CPU Z?
Atm my FSB is 293 * 7 = 2051 with uGuru on turbo

Yeah , to start I would remove the cheaper stuff, and start your OC with just the corsair. Make sure you put it in slot 1 and 3 for the motherboard so its in dual channel. so it will go
corsair - X - corsair - X

For the bios, before you start anything, I would flash the bios. The beta bios should be fine for you as it s a build off of the latest bios they have available, bios 23. BUt, if your nervous, you could always just go to the abit link I provided at the top and follow that guide.

the memory should be running at 400MHZ?!?!?! weird that its coming up at 270, that is prob the cheap stuff....

I would flash the bios and tweak. You should be able to get some impressive numbers out of your chip. It can be good for overclocking.

Also, for the explanation, you asked Atm my FSB is 293 * 7 = 2051 with uGuru on turbo.

thats saying your processor has a multiplier of 7, multiplied by 293 per multiplier giving you a grand speed of 2051 MHZ which is about 2 GHZ.

Attachments

• cpu - z.JPG
    cpu - z.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,419
Last edited:

paulo7

Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling standard atm
Video Card(s) 4870
Storage Samsung F1
Case Antec 900
Nah its definitely not the corsair stuff bit weird maybe its on the wrong timings? Cpuz reports it as 4-4-4 whereas on the stock it states 5-5-5 so maybe I need to play around in the bios as should def be 400 not 270

When do u think u will be purchasing the wolfdale?

Nah its definitely not the corsair stuff bit weird maybe its on the wrong timings? Cpuz reports it as 4-4-4 whereas on the stock it states 5-5-5 so maybe I need to play around in the bios as should def be 400 not 270

When do u think u will be purchasing the wolfdale?

well, the timings will have nothing to do with the frequency that the memory is running at. Thats for sure, even if its at 4-4-4 its still going to be 270. but, if your going to OC, I would def pull those sticks out. Are you sure those stick are DDR 2 800 and not DDR2 533 pc 4200. becasue that sounds more like it... 270 x 2 for DDR2 is 540MHZ which is ddr2 533 pc 4200 and not 800. CHK CHK

I will be getting the chip soon. But its a little bit of a pain for me as im from america, but am living in europe at the moment. So im playing the whole buy in the u.s. and ship it over some how game.
:shadedshu

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
i have this board. thanks.

i have this board. thanks.

No prob, just hit the thanks button ;) Also, this is a first version Beta for the wolfdale. I am working with Abit tech support to get updates and inquiring on continued support for this Bios as the wolfadle is new and so is this revision.:nutkick:

paulo7

Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling standard atm
Video Card(s) 4870
Storage Samsung F1
Case Antec 900

Fossil

Wolfdale

Hi
I flashed an AB9 Pro with the linked Beta Bios and then loaded up a Xeon 3110 (Same chip as the E8400) and all seems to be working fine as far as load tests outside of windows go....I haven't had any time to put it in a case and load an OS but testing sofware did not detect any problems even when overclocked to 3.9Ghz. (I had to stop there because the ram is 800Mhz stuff)
Without the Beta, the board will not post!!!!
I will post again when I have the chance to play with it

Fossil

Kinda seems to be under clocked to 2Ghz from a stock of 2.66Ghz, the multiplier should be at 8 instead of 6. (Hope that i am not missing something here) :)

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Yup, looks like Speedstep is turned on, Fossil.

Fossil

Well we would not want anything from Intel to run faster than the factory would want us to would we :rolleyes:

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
LMAO! Guess not.

mex11

??

I have Abit AB9 Pro motherboard and I want to by E8400 so can it work or not . Has someone tried this yet and has some results?

Yes, working for me with E8200
See the argument in this pictures
Abit AB9 and Abit AB9 pro working with Wolfdale procesor only with beta bios v2.3
Sory my bad english

mex11

Re: thanks for reply

I see the image but i dont understand why is your multiplier x6 , its suppose to be x8. Can you change that or it cannot be changed , because i dont want to by a processor that cannot work on his default values.

It's running a 6x multiplier, indicating that C1E is working to save power!
You see?

mex11

Re:

I can see that but i dont need that power saving feature , so can this be turned off in bios so i can run it in full power

See! Working in 8x only streesed

Please read the notification about C2D8***

In bios they will apear to running 8x multiplier.

Last edited:

mex11

re

Sorry about my english but can you explain me what does this word streesed means because I dont understand it.I only want to know that can this processor work stabily on his default values or i have to turn on this saving power option