• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Abkoncore Rolls Out T404B Hurricane CPU Cooler

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Abkoncore today rolled out the T404B Hurricane tower type CPU air cooler under its Cool Storm sub-brand. Its design involves a conventional tower-type aluminium fin-stack heatsink that's ventilated by two 120 mm fans in push-pull configuration. With this, the company is claiming a thermal capacity of up to 170 W TDP, and includes support for LGA2066, LGA115x, and AM4 sockets.

The heatsink design involves a base at which four 6 mm-thick copper heat pipes make direct contact with the CPU, conveying heat through the fin-stack, which is then ventilated by the fans. Each of the two 120 mm fans takes in 4-pin PWM for their main function, spin between 800 to 1,800 RPM, pushing a little over 50 CFM of air with maximum noise output of 33 dBA. The fans feature addressable RGB lighting, and take in 3-pin ARGB input. Measuring 128 mm x 107 mm x 157 mm (WxDxH), it weighs 1 kg. Available now, the Abkoncore Cool Storm T404B Hurricane is priced at 40€.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
They figured, hey, we need something unique, let's block the fan intake a little bit!

What a bunch of twats. I guess their cases gave it away.

At least its cheap! 40 bucks for two (shit) fans and a heatsink isn't bad. But you can def get better performance at this price point.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
They figured, hey, we need something unique, let's block the fan intake a little bit!

At least its cheap! 40 bucks for two (shit) fans and a heatsink isn't bad. But you can def get better performance at this price point.

Polish_20200331_074211135.jpg

I actually think it's a pretty innovative and different design, and I'd be willing to bet that one, single, larger hub arm is equivocal to four separate, smaller arms with respect to air resistance.

Plus, the hub arm is on the front/intake of the fan, which I think would actually be less of an obstruction that if it were on the rear/exhaust due to the fact that it's much easier for air to be sucked in around that arm (just like when you have negative case pressure and you can feel air being sucked in at every opening) than for exhaust air to be ejected around that arm... I actually wouldn't be surprised if these fans performed better than a traditional fan design with identical specs.

Also, why be so resistant to change? If fan manufacturers, or any manufacturer, didn't innovate and attempt new designs, we'd still have nothing, but plain, solid black fans with unsleaved ketchup & mustard cables and beige computer cases with raw steel/aluminum interiors.

Personally, I'd be glad to sacrifice one or two degrees Celsius for something that looks better than an IBM Aptiva or Packard Bell from 1994

Last edited:
Processor FX-8350 @4.6
Motherboard MSI 970A Gaming
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx 400
Memory 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) RX-570 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD + 2x 1TB Barracuda's
Display(s) Asus 24" 1080p
Case Custom vintage wooden crate
Audio Device(s) Neewer N700 mic + Edifier 2.1 speakers + Steelseries Siberia V2
Power Supply Cooler Master V650
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Corsair K70 w/ MX-reds
Software Windows 10

Jeez, calm down. lol
That single arm will make next to no difference. Not really blocking anything, given the total area the fans are able to pull from.

The only downside I can see to this design is it might make a bit more noise with how close the arm is the to fan blades on the intake side. Usually any obstruction close to the blades on the intake side (within 5mm or less) tends to create a buzzing sound.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
View attachment 149855

I actually think it's a pretty innovative and different design, and I'd be willing to bet that one, single, larger hub arm is equivocal to four separate, smaller arms with respect to air resistance.

Plus, the hub arm is on the front/intake of the fan, which I think would actually be less of an obstruction that if it were on the rear/exhaust due to the fact that it's much easier for air to be sucked in around that arm (just like when you have negative case pressure and you can feel air being sucked in at every opening) than for exhaust air to be ejected around that arm... I actually wouldn't be surprised if these fans performed better than a traditional fan design with identical specs.

Also, why be so resistant to change? If fan manufacturers, or any manufacturer, didn't innovate and attempt new designs, we'd still have nothing, but plain, solid black fans with unsleaved ketchup & mustard cables and beige computer cases with raw steel/aluminum interiors.

Personally, I'd be glad to sacrifice one or two degrees Celsius for something that looks better than an IBM Aptiva or Packard Bell from 1994

If they actually did remove the 4 legs on the other end I'm definitely interested, but so far no evidence points at that.

Also, why be so resistant to change? If fan manufacturers, or any manufacturer, didn't innovate and attempt new designs

To each his own. I'm more partial to innovation that actually leads to more than a pretty looking item. And I have a thorough distaste for anything that is form over function. This looks a lot like that, just like the vast majority of the rest that has 'gaming' in its marketing slides. You said it exactly right, ironically, but for the wrong reasons. The ONLY reason fans are being innovated is because there is a market for it that wants nice looks; or put differently, is ASKING for form over function. I'm just here for that reality check really. Its not a coincidence that a relatively simple, no nonsense product like say a NH-D15s still destroys everything. Sometimes, things are just fine as they are.

I'm not even against RGB, go figure... I get it, people like certain looks and I'm not immune either.. got strips in the case. But that appeal stops immediately when things start looking inefficient. Even the poster above me can see problems, despite disagreeing... apparently :) Fans are built according to a best practice. Did you really think Abkoncore is the first one to try and reverse the motor arm?

I think you need to realize that these products exist to serve a yearly balance sheet. These companies aren't in it because they want to make the best product, because if they did, why iterate so much, you can't have two dozen 'the best' fans, right?

I know, its really sour, this approach, but we're talking about a computer fan. Keep it simple... or it quickly looks stupid. To me.

Last edited:
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
hummm....

multiple (5-6) epic fails in the past few months,,,,,

Abkoncore sure is on a roll lately, hehehehe :roll:

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
If they actually did remove the 4 legs on the other end I'm definitely interested, but so far no evidence points at that.

What? No evidence points to that? Are you blind? Did you not see the image I posted of the front and back of the fan? And how the four hub arms are gone in exchange for the single arm on the front? I'm starting to think that maybe you're confused on what I had said because I can't believe anyone would be that stupid?

Staunchly "form over function" hey? That must be why you wear nothing, but one set of clothes with shirt, pants and everything else the same bland color and made from burlap, right? I mean it completes all the functions that clothes are supposed to and definitely doesn't place form over function, right? That's why there's absolutely no decoration in your home and you live in a bland concrete box, right? And the PC you might have, that's just a bland beige box without a single window or aesthetic thought, right?

OH wait, that's not the case at all? Nor would you ever even consider such, right? So you actually don't put form over function ever, and you simply decided to shoehorn a purposely contentious response in here for absolutely no other reason than to be contentious and contrarian (but also probably because like most people you think you're more clever than you are and that more people care about your opinion than they do.). I say contrarian, because it seems to me that you decided to propose a different opinion for no other reason than that, since it's obvious you didn't think it through since I guarantee nothing else in your life adheres to a strict sense of "form over function" as I so effortlessly pointed out.

Also, with my username being what it is (coupled with the fact that I have a BA in political science and recently completed my PhD molecular neuropharmacology), do you truly think I'm naive as to the inherent motives and operating procedures of a corporate entity in a capitalist system? Are you so naive as to believe anyone is themselves naive enough to think any capitalist entity does anything for any reason other than profit? My original post was a reply saying I thought the design wouldn't impede airflow and that I appreciate new designs, and then you, like a hot air balloon,open your mouth and start blowing wind concerning banal platitudes that were never mentioned or even hinted at in anyone's posts... So why don't you crawl out of my a$$ and take your own member out of yours (in other words, don't use me as a wehicle to [not] show everyone how clever you think you are by claiming to have beliefs that haven't even occurred to you until the moment you hit that reply button.

BTW, out of curiosity do you purposely try to sound as condescending as possible with an inflection and tone that conveys a smug sense of superiority, or is that an accident? I'm seriously asking.

Last edited:
System Name Merc v8
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 with Arctic fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X F5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X PLUS
Storage Solidigm P44 1TB, &2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B
Case Caselabs Mercury S8
Audio Device(s) Some Schiit with Edifier S351DB
Power Supply Seasonic TX-750
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Epomaker TH80 SE (Silent Red switches)
Software W11Pro
That looks nice, tbh.
abkoncore-helios-300g-sync-7.jpg

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
if this fan design is good in performance we could see the biggest change or hype or huidiwuidi thing in fan design in years.
bets are taken here plz:

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Nice design, I just hope that single arm is strong enough to withstand the flex created by the force exerted on it.

Processor Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz@1.331V
Motherboard ASUS Strix B350-F
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 16G*2 3000MHz CL16 @1.35V
Video Card(s) Msi RTX 2070 Super Gaming Z Trio
Storage WD Blue 500G SSD*1 WD Black 2TB*1
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q
Case Lian Li O11D XL
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse logitech G102 with modded micro switchs
Benchmark Scores Time Spy 9943
BTW, out of curiosity do you purposely try to sound as condescending as possible with an inflection and tone that conveys a smug sense of superiority, or is that an accident? I'm seriously asking.

Few people on this forum just like to talk crap about new coolers/cases.

If you read enough news/reviews about coolers/cases on TPU, you will find out that there is always the same group of people who always talk like that.

Those people like to get mad or salty (or edgy, I dunno) for no apparent reason.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
What? No evidence points to that? Are you blind? Did you not see the image I posted of the front and back of the fan? And how the four hub arms are gone in exchange for the single arm on the front? I'm starting to think that maybe you're confused on what I had said because I can't believe anyone would be that stupid?

Staunchly "form over function" hey? That must be why you wear nothing, but one set of clothes with shirt, pants and everything else the same bland color and made from burlap, right? I mean it completes all the functions that clothes are supposed to and definitely doesn't place form over function, right? That's why there's absolutely no decoration in your home and you live in a bland concrete box, right? And the PC you might have, that's just a bland beige box without a single window or aesthetic thought, right?

OH wait, that's not the case at all? Nor would you ever even consider such, right? So you actually don't put form over function ever, and you simply decided to shoehorn a purposely contentious response in here for absolutely no other reason than to be contentious and contrarian (but also probably because like most people you think you're more clever than you are and that more people care about your opinion than they do.). I say contrarian, because it seems to me that you decided to propose a different opinion for no other reason than that, since it's obvious you didn't think it through since I guarantee nothing else in your life adheres to a strict sense of "form over function" as I so effortlessly pointed out.

Also, with my username being what it is (coupled with the fact that I have a BA in political science and recently completed my PhD molecular neuropharmacology), do you truly think I'm naive as to the inherent motives and operating procedures of a corporate entity in a capitalist system? Are you so naive as to believe anyone is themselves naive enough to think any capitalist entity does anything for any reason other than profit? My original post was a reply saying I thought the design wouldn't impede airflow and that I appreciate new designs, and then you, like a hot air balloon,open your mouth and start blowing wind concerning banal platitudes that were never mentioned or even hinted at in anyone's posts... So why don't you crawl out of my a$$ and take your own member out of yours (in other words, don't use me as a wehicle to [not] show everyone how clever you think you are by claiming to have beliefs that haven't even occurred to you until the moment you hit that reply button.

Lol... you might want to re-read my comment. It specifically speaks of what I think of this product. Not you. Nor am I telling you what to think of it. If you like it, by all means, buy twenty...

Regardless - you're correct about the arm! I stand corrected, I thought the pic I saw in your post was of two different type fans they had. In that case, its pretty cool to see. But still would not buy. What's the point ;)

The whole rant about form over function, wow man... speaking of proportionate response. If you can't stand reading an opinion that doesn't suit you, go offline. This is way out of control... I even said myself I'm not staunchly form over function, but it seems you suffer from a very similar selective blindness as I did when looking at your fan picture.

Note that it was YOU specifically. YOU. Who asked why I was resistant to change and I think I gave some good examples and reasons. I mean... banal platitudes and your PhD?! Who the hell asked for THAT?

It happens. Let's move on. But like I've shown my self reflection here, you might do similar right now. Holy crap. I get it, stress levels are increased at this time... let's not use each other as a punching bag again, k?

Last edited:
System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Why do these manufacturers continue to use just 4 6mm heatpipes if you're going to only use 4 heatpipes at least make them 8mm ones

Personally, I like the fan design; reminds me of the InWin Mars series of fans, but much cheaper (at the cost of no positional flexibility). That said, it's very much a showpiece fan; it just wouldn't visually work well if a fan filter or grill was placed on it given the uneven lighting that the arm results in.

That aside, as far as innovation in the case fan space goes; I'd like to see an improved take on the experimental Tip-Magnetic Drive fans (YS Tech attempted it a long time ago, but they were pretty loud for 80mm and 92mm fans). Mainly since we're now seeing consumer level fans that have a ring frame attached directly to the blades (like the NB-eLoops or CoolerMaster MasterFan SF120M) and more use of maglev-tech for less friction and reduced bearing noise, and advances in fan blade design should make for something quite novel but also useful.

And more for lols but also for the server market, larger "turbine" fans, similar to how HP began using roughly 92mm R/C turbines for their server cooling. Just in 120mm size.