• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

? about how hot is too hot for X800XT

jonsushi

Ok, so first off, I'm basically a complete newbie to overclocking. I downloaded ATITool earlier today because of a suggestion on another board.

Here's my system:
P4 540 3.4GHz
1GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 533MHz
256MB PCI Express x16 Radeon X800XT

It's a Dell Dimension 8400. I haven't added anything to it (except that I'll soon be installing 2GB more of RAM). So, I'm also still running the original fans on everything.

Anyways, I ran the Find Max Core first and came up with about 529.88. I then ran Find Max Mem and came up with 542.70. So, then I ran the Artifact Scan with both of those settings together. Doing this, I had a few errors so I lowered the settings little by little until I came up with the Core being 526.50 and the Memory being 537.75. I've ran it for almost 30 minutes without any errors. However, the temperature has been around 95-97*F.

I've had it scanning for almost an hour now and the temperature has been staying more around 97*F. So, I'm wondering if these temperatures are "okay" or if I'm running it too hot? What range of temps are safe?

I appreciate any info or advice.
Thanks.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
97F is good 97C is deadly. a good rule of thumb is if you can touch the heatsink without beign burned its a good enough temp.

jonsushi

Haha, ok. Well I never tried touching the heatsink. But thanks.

It did end up going to 98F, but I guess next time I'll just have to touch the heatsink and see how hot it is.
:toast:

Rooke

Processor P4 560 3.6GHz oc'd to 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus P5AD2 Premium
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper6+ / Zalman VF700-Cu
Memory Crucial 1GB Ballistix DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI X800XT oc'd to c531.0/m535.5
Storage (2) WD 74GB Raptors in Raid 0
Display(s) NEC FE21111sb 21" Crt
Case SilverStone Temjin 3 ( Nimitz )
Audio Device(s) onboard C-Media
Power Supply PC P & C Turbo-Cool 510 Express
Software WinXP Pro SP2
Even tho vid cards can have temps that high, its not good to run that high all the time. You might want to play with the fan speed setting and see if you can get the fan going faster sooner or run at 100% all the time over 60c.

I have an X800XT and had the same problem. I got a Zalman VF700-Cu to replace the stock HSF on it. It dropped the temps down to 57c at load and allowed me to get an additional 14MHz oc on the core and 12MHz on the ram ( it comes with ram heatsinks ). It's easy to install and isn't too expensive.

jonsushi

Ok, thanks. I tried it out playing F.E.A.R. last night at the settings I first posted. I played for about an hour and kept checking the temp, but it didn't really seem to go past 92F.

I'll look into that fan. I'm planning on getting a new video card in the next month or two, so I might try backing down my settings.

BTW, I checked out my fan speed (remember that I'm new to this), but it was running at 100% the whole time that it got hot. I'll check about getting it to go faster sooner or all the time over a certain temp.

Thanks.

P.S. How does a noob like me find out what fans or coolers would be compatible (or even fit) in my tower? It's a Dell Dimension 8400 series.

Last edited:
jonsushi said:
Ok, thanks. I tried it out playing F.E.A.R. last night at the settings I first posted. I played for about an hour and kept checking the temp, but it didn't really seem to go past 92F.

I'll look into that fan. I'm planning on getting a new video card in the next month or two, so I might try backing down my settings.

BTW, I checked out my fan speed (remember that I'm new to this), but it was running at 100% the whole time that it got hot. I'll check about getting it to go faster sooner or all the time over a certain temp.

Thanks.

P.S. How does a noob like me find out what fans or coolers would be compatible (or even fit) in my tower? It's a Dell Dimension 8400 series.
with a 97f i see no need to get a cooler? tho you will have to open your case and measrure distances.