• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

About to start using Linux again after many years - in need of advice

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I'm about to start using Linux again after many years and I'm wondering what distro would be best for my needs.

Server SAS/NAS
Running 1 or 2 VMs (internet browsing and office pc for my brother in law)
And zoneminder

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
Bump.....is Ubuntu server a good choice or is there something better out there?

Surprised you aren't getting more suggestions. I don't play with a ton of distros at and most of what I use *nix for is server stuff anyway so my suggestions may not be what you are looking for if you are looking to manage everything from a desktop environment. Those requirements could be meet with just about anything though. I'd start with the NAS consideration first though since that by its very nature is likely the most important aspect?

If you are going to be running this on sever'ish hardware (an HBA, and an array of all the same drives, tonsof RAM, ect) then TrueNAS which is FreeBSD based would be good choice and makes for a very solid high performance NAS, does VMs, and has Jails, a container technology similar to Docker. Otherwise unRAID is more flexible in terms of what hardware it will run on and how arrays are built and managed is totally different and far more flexible, its also based on Linux. Ubuntu is very good OS though too and is gaining more and more respect as a server platform if you just want a base OS to setup however you want.

Simpleris

Ubuntu desktop I wouldn't recommend, but oh boy Ubuntu Server is love!
Surprised you aren't getting more suggestions. I don't play with a ton of distros at and most of what I use *nix for is server stuff anyway so my suggestions may not be what you are looking for if you are looking to manage everything from a desktop environment. Those requirements could be meet with just about anything though. I'd start with the NAS consideration first though since that by its very nature is likely the most important aspect?

If you are going to be running this on sever'ish hardware (an HBA, and an array of all the same drives, tonsof RAM, ect) then TrueNAS which is FreeBSD based would be good choice and makes for a very solid high performance NAS, does VMs, and has Jails, a container technology similar to Docker. Otherwise unRAID is more flexible in terms of what hardware it will run on and how arrays are built and managed is totally different and far more flexible, its also based on Linux. Ubuntu is very good OS though too and is gaining more and more respect as a server platform if you just want a base OS to setup however you want.
Might as well consider fedora or its offspring for VMs, dunno if this stays good for docker tho.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Probably, if you've been out of the loop for a while. That or plain Debian.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
Hmm so to start with I'm just running a old dell r210ii this is my teaching aid and will be repurposed into a firewall possibly some bsd variant.

I'm currently looking for a ryzen GE Cpu for the Nas I'm building which I planned to use TrueNAS os on.

Then eventually I'll get a used duel processor server probably another dell since they are pretty cheap here but I'd like to learn a OS that skills will work with all these products.

I've used Linux on old laptops long ago but didn't have the patience or drive to really understand or learn anything now I think mentality has changed and a working home lab seems like a good idea.

I should mention I'd like to build some home automation eventually I've played with arduino's a fair bit but I tended to just steal code from others and have no idea how that would fit into all of this as far as an OS.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Both Ubuntu and Debian are solid on servers and have large communities around them. Getting help should not be a problem.
If, for some reason, instead of deb you need a rpm based distro, them OpenSUSE or whatever is left of CentOS should have you covered just as well.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Hmm so to start with I'm just running a old dell r210ii this is my teaching aid and will be repurposed into a firewall possibly some bsd variant.
If you don't have many users, that thing can probably do both on that server. Expecially if it's maxed-out.
I have one of those in my rack running NAS, mail appliance and two small VMs. All on a cheap E3-1240 + 16GB DDR3, the rest is refurbished or broken Supermicro parts I've fixed in my workshop.

I've contemplated on this question a few years back, and by far Ubuntu Server is the best option. FreeBSD is finicky when it comes to devices and drivers, especially if you want to set up a print server in the future, add some more functionality, or expand to SFP+/QSFP on the cheap. Ubuntu has no such issues, plus it has lots of documentation and tutorials on pretty much any topic.
My first home server ran Ubuntu Server+Webmin. Setting up ZFS or BTRFS on newer distros is very easy, but at that time I went with a simple md array.
Right now my setup is a bit more complicated, but most of the basic stuff can be done in a few clicks in web UI. Virtualmin might also be a good candidate if VMs are a big part of your project.
My VMs are quite small and simple, so I do everything by hand (qemu).

Another big bonus - excellent hardware support. Even my quirky HP NC550SFP cards work out of the box (probably THE cheapest 10GbE option on the market).

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
If you don't have many users, that thing can probably do both on that server. Expecially if it's maxed-out.
I have one of those in my rack running NAS, mail appliance and two small VMs. All on a cheap E3-1240 + 16GB DDR3, the rest is refurbished or broken Supermicro parts I've fixed in my workshop.

I've contemplated on this question a few years back, and by far Ubuntu Server is the best option. FreeBSD is finicky when it comes to devices and drivers, especially if you want to set up a print server in the future, add some more functionality, or expand to SFP+/QSFP on the cheap. Ubuntu has no such issues, plus it has lots of documentation and tutorials on pretty much any topic.
My first home server ran Ubuntu Server+Webmin. Setting up ZFS or BTRFS on newer distros is very easy, but at that time I went with a simple md array.
Right now my setup is a bit more complicated, but most of the basic stuff can be done in a few clicks in web UI. Virtualmin might also be a good candidate if VMs are a big part of your project.
My VMs are quite small and simple, so I do everything by hand (qemu).

Another big bonus - excellent hardware support. Even my quirky HP NC550SFP cards work out of the box (probably THE cheapest 10GbE option on the market).
Thanks this even pointed out things I didn't mention so I live on my wife's family farm her sister, cousin and uncle live on the same large peice of land so I planned to steal their fibre lines, load balance it to 3 or 4gbps where sfp+ is a must and then pipe less than 1gbps back out to them via wireless access points as it's only used for phones. I'd say there might be 4 users maximum on the server and the Nas would only be used by me pretty much with my wife backing up photos and such from her phone occasionally. The r210ii I want to spend as little as possible I might bump the ram higher when I need it and will just use for opnsense or pfsense.
Screenshot_20211016-225558.png

It's less than $100.
The Nas is based of a b450m board I have, I plan to source a ge chip to keep it as low power as possible and add a pcie SATA card and a 2.5gbps NIC so I can keep my steam library on it as well as backups
Then eventually I'd like the server to handle a few VMs at least one for general pc use (streaming and web browsing) and one for office work then also run some home automation and CCTV, can I use print servers for 3d?
because to me paper is dead
Thanks everyone and Thank you @silentbogo you were all a great help.

I'll update you in a few weeks hopefully when it all arrives.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
So little update, after 2 days with Ubuntu server I gave up. The fact I needed a GUI for zoneminder defied the point of it and once I layered one on, login became slow and clunky.
I'm now running proxmox which is ideal as I can try many distros of Linux as well as BSD. Control is really simple as I can swap VM's and control basic functions from my phone.
I currently have lxle running for zoneminder though I haven't set it up completely yet, TrueNAS core though I need more ram and HDD's to even try it properly and I'm going to play about with pfsense as my next project.