• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 mini review and support

Yes the Enzotech sink results are really good but don't forget the sinks are all 3mm too long!

I'm currently converting 3 cards to Accelero + Enzotech so I am part way through Dremeling off 3mm from 84 heatsink legs... *phew* :D

System Name Silent allround
Processor i5 750 @ 3,0Ghz 1.04v / 3.4Ghz 1.11v/ 3,6Ghz 1.15v
Motherboard Gigabyte P55-USB3
Cooling Thermalright IFX-14 + Scythe Slip Stream 140mm @ 600RPM
Memory 2 x 4GB Samsung M378B5273DH0-CH9 @ 2000 MHz 9-10-10-27 T1
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X @ 940/1270
Storage Intel Postville 80GB SSD & Western Digital Green 2TB
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp U2412M
Case Bitfenix Merc Alpha
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 with Unified Drivers
Power Supply Nexus NX-5000 R3 530W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Super pi 1M : 8,549s @ 4,7Ghz (Core i7 920)
Hey,

I bought also an Accelero GTX 28 but the fans are dead so I'll send them RMA .

Meanwhile i took my stock cooler and modded it.

First I took of the stock coolers' plastic casing.

So firstly we need to take the stock cooler plastic casing off. Remove the 4 screws circled in red:

Then from the other side under the fan, 3 black screws. They are already off, but spots circled again.

That's seven! heatpipes and one of them goes to VRM area. Has a black tape on top, so that the heatpipe doesn't show under the fan :laugh:

After that I removed the stock fan.

Stock cooler without fans:

Then I took a Antec Tricool and placed it on the fins.

(stock fan is still on in this picture)

Adding an extra 80mm PWM fan.

The TriCool is constant running on ~900 RPM the small 80mm fan is running about 800RPM.

They're very quiet.

Temps are:

Not bad after 5 hours using badaboom , surfing on the internet and stressing !

half of the pictures are onboard's. You can recognize them because they're made with a real camera ;)

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Video Card(s) 7950 Crossfire
Storage Samsung 830 256GB
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Power Supply XFX Seasonic OEM 1250
Software W7 64 Pro
I haven't really altered the default NVIDIA settings, other than pre-rendered frames to 2. Read it helps with mouse lag, though I haven't really experienced it :) Rest of the settings in the picture below.
You should try undervolting. I run @ 1.15V now and 1.125V was even stable with OCs. Left some room for bios, as 1.125V wasn't stable with 1566 shaders. 3DMark Vantage crashed with those shaders even with stock voltage, so less is more :)
And I think the Enzotech sinks are a better solution :D Looking at Biker's results and they are fantastic. Although his ambient is low and even with the Accelero VRM sink getting great temps. I'm sort of thinking that my VRM's run hotter than usual, as they were already 100C with stock cooler?
Thanks, I did it really out of a must, those Enzotech mosfet thingies aren't really available here and didn't want to spend more money. Plus it was fun and I had no use for the stock cooler (though it still works just fine if I remove the Accelero and leave the VRM part there).
Personally I really like the look of the HR-03 GTX and it would have gone nicely with my Thermalright Ultima-90 :) I just wanted to keep my other PCI-E slot free and have the weight of the cooler closer to the card. Although the stock backplate should work with the HR-03 GTX too, if not with the pushpins.
Yeah, questions welcome here, once it's released in USA too. Europe seems quite well covered now. Recent introduction of GTX 275 will surely bring more interest to the cooler, seeing how hot it runs. And even better with it's cool VRMs this or your cooler will work great.
I also am following the GTX 260/280 thread as it has some good posts on these and their newer siblings!
Thanks for posting the graphics settings. Myself, I tend to go from High Performance for benching and High Quality for when I am finished benching:p
Voltage: Less is more! That certainly goes together with the goal of temperature reduction. I don't seem to gain anything from overvolting the card, so you just may have a good point there. But it can be tough at first to break the overvolting habit from years of overclocking:D
Good to see Biker getting good results with the Enzo's. I honestly don't know if they would have had better results on your card than the stock vrm plate. I am fortunate that my supplier stocks Enzotech products now, if you can't easily get them then you have to make do with what you can.

Both Arctic Cooling and Thermalright have created a frustrating situation for all of us by not designing better cooling for the vrm's. The gpu results for both are great, and the ram seems to be getting cooled just fine. Enzotech mosfet sinks, or the stock sink cut-off, both ideas seem to work better than the aluminum heat plates supplied by both. But why, with all the resources of these two companies, can they not provide something better for cooling the vrm's?

I think it is mostly due to the profit margins they want for these coolers, as with most goods out of the orient, if it isn't really finished or completely functional yet, too bad, people will still buy them. All they have to do is refer to the gpu cooling results, that alone will sell them!

Last edited:

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
Yes the Enzotech sink results are really good but don't forget the sinks are all 3mm too long!

I'm currently converting 3 cards to Accelero + Enzotech so I am part way through Dremeling off 3mm from 84 heatsink legs... *phew* :D

I would have just bended the sinks in the middle and be done with it ;)

Both Arctic Cooling and Thermalright have created a frustrating situation for all of us by not designing better cooling for the vrm's. The gpu results for both are great, and the ram seems to be getting cooled just fine. Enzotech mosfet sinks, or the stock sink cut-off, both ideas seem to work better than the aluminum heat plates supplied by both. But why, with all the resources of these two companies, can they not provide something better for cooling the vrm's?

I think it's because the coolers fit more cards. the VRM plate is only needed for 65nm 260/280 and 55nm 260/275/285 don't need it -> thus it would raise the price for them. Though the cooler is made specially for the 65nm cards and the HD4870X2 version has some big real aluminum sinks, so dunno.

Still it would have been nice to have a better stock sink or a separate purchase, like Thermalright has for GTX 285. Anyways, good that it's fixable with little extra effort.

Just another footnote on the Accelero Xtreme:

The 2 ram sinks that cover the Vram chips to the top and to the right side of the GPU are rubbish, well, the glue that they come adorned with is rubbish anyway so I replaced them with ram chip coolers from a Scythe VGA Chip heatsink pack which are lighter and have much better glue so the bloody things no longer keep falling off...

recommended!

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
I think it's because the coolers fit more cards. the VRM plate is only needed for 65nm 260/280 and 55nm 260/275/285 don't need it -> thus it would raise the price for them. Though the cooler is made specially for the 65nm cards and the HD4870X2 version has some big real aluminum sinks, so dunno.
Still it would have been nice to have a better stock sink or a separate purchase, like Thermalright has for GTX 285. Anyways, good that it's fixable with little extra effort.
Good point. They have to deal with the older and new generation cards, there is quite a re-design with such cards as the 285 compared to the 260/280. I planned on using the Enzotech sinks on my 280 before I finally got hold of the HR-03 GTX as it was already well known that Thermalright's vrm cooling sucked. When I saw the same type of plate on the Accelero I was disappointed, hoping that they would have something better.

The 2 ram sinks that cover the Vram chips to the top and to the right side of the GPU are rubbish, well, the glue that they come adorned with is rubbish anyway so I replaced them with ram chip coolers from a Scythe VGA Chip heatsink pack which are lighter and have much better glue so the bloody things no longer keep falling off...
recommended!
Exactly. A member from another forum *cough*xsf*cough*:D used the Skythe sinks on his 285/Accelero combo. He reports very good results, although I haven't seen any vrm temperatures from him yet. They look really good too.

Good to see the temperature improvements on your card with the Enzo sinks as well. I sure had it a lot easier installing them with the HR-03 GTX though! Too bad Enzotech doesn't make a low-profile version of their mosfet sinks. Sounds like you have gone into business setting these up for people:)

Sounds like you have gone into business setting these up for people:)

He he he...

My place looked like a factory floor yesterday complete with a large production line and an extensive Q & A testing facility... :D

Thankfully after 5 hours of building, frustration and testing we had 6 Accelero / Enzotech / Scythe modded GTX 280's all of which were performing pretty much the same with temps and all bios modded to 700 core 1512 shader 2500 ram 50% fan :D

All could clock higher stably but the main goal was reliable QUIET faaaast 24/7 gaming ;)

Highest GPU Full load temp on the day (Furmark + ATItool in detect artifact mode + fan @ 50% + case open, ambient temp 18) was 57 centigrade :toast:

I do not have anything to test fan noise output with but suffice to say that subjectively the accelero @ 100% fan is much less annoying than the stock cooler @ >60% Fan. :)

Mudkip...

Cool ghetto mod you have there and I bet it is also quiet! :)

OnBoard

Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging

recommended!

It may not be the bestest to stick, but it holds just fine. Same thermaltape is on TwinTurbo cooler and none have dropped from it or my Accelero Xtreme :) I did press them for a while, just to make sure, but just like the gray pads I think this thermaltape too wants to get warm first to get it's stickiness maxed.

You making 6 cards though, it's no wonder if you ran out of patience to keep pressing the ramsinks down on all cards :p

Thankfully after 5 hours of building, frustration and testing we had 6 Accelero / Enzotech / Scythe modded GTX 280's all of which were performing pretty much the same with temps and all bios modded to 700 core 1512 shader 2500 ram 50% fan :D

All run 2500 ram without artifacts? Mine only does 2484 :ohwell: Not that memory is a bottle neck in these cards, but even 2500 would be cooler :p

It may not be the bestest to stick, but it holds just fine. Same thermaltape is on TwinTurbo cooler and none have dropped from it or my Accelero Xtreme :) I did press them for a while, just to make sure, but just like the gray pads I think this thermaltape too wants to get warm first to get it's stickiness maxed.

You making 6 cards though, it's no wonder if you ran out of patience to keep pressing the ramsinks down on all cards :p

All run 2500 ram without artifacts? Mine only does 2484 :ohwell: Not that memory is a bottle neck in these cards, but even 2500 would be cooler :p

Heh.

I simply could not get those two ramsinks to stick. On any of them... I went through it properly using isopropyl alcohol to clean the chips then a good quality eraser to give some purchase ... I even sanded one block of chips lightly to see if that made a difference... nada.

And the Scythe chips?

A secure stick first time each time so that was 36 successful first time sticks! :)

Conclusion: Accelero triple chip ramsink = too heavy + rubbish bonding :banghead:

X-Terminator

Processor Intel Core i7 920, 3.504 GHz (21 x 166.9)
Motherboard Asus P6T Deluxe V2 / Socket 1366
Cooling 4x120mm & 2x140mm Case Fans / Zalman CNPS9700 LED 110mm CPU Cooler
Memory 3GB (3 x 1GB) G.SKILL DDR3 1333 7-7-7-18 Triple Channel
Video Card(s) XFX GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3
Storage SATA II (640) / IDE (200 GB) / SATA II (500 GB) / SATA II (250 GB) / SATA II (160 GB)
Display(s) Insignia 42" HDTV 120MHz
Case NZXT Camo TEMPEST EVO
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2 ZS (SB0350)
Power Supply OCZ OCZ52012U 520W / Thermaltake 450W VGA PSU
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3DMark03 58543 CPU 3079 /3DMark05 26232 CPU 20370 /3DMark06 20872 CPU 6661 /PCMark04 Wouldn't Fin
I don't have any of those VRMs or VDDC Slave Temps

GTX 285 1-2.gif GTX 285 2-2.gif

:nutkick:

Hmmmmm.....

Maybe this feature is not supported or the 285 does not have a monitoring chip?

I don't have a 285 so i cannot test / verify.

Last edited:

OnBoard

It doesn't have the voltage reculator chip that 65nm versions have and I think it is also what gives yout the VRM temps. (cost saving thing)

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
Hey,

I bought also an Accelero GTX 28 but the fans are dead so I'll send them RMA.
The TriCool is constant running on ~900 RPM the small 80mm fan is running about 800RPM.

They're very quiet.

Temps are:

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/09/04/18/6nn.png

Not bad after 5 hours using badaboom , surfing on the internet and stressing !

half of the pictures are onboard's. You can recognize them because they're made with a real camera ;)
Good job, those fans are a great mod, really helps to keep the temps down:toast:

He he he...

My place looked like a factory floor yesterday complete with a large production line and an extensive Q & A testing facility... :D

All could clock higher stably but the main goal was reliable QUIET faaaast 24/7 gaming ;)

Highest GPU Full load temp on the day (Furmark + ATItool in detect artifact mode + fan @ 50% + case open, ambient temp 18) was 57 centigrade :toast:

I do not have anything to test fan noise output with but suffice to say that subjectively the accelero @ 100% fan is much less annoying than the stock cooler @ >60% Fan. :)
Amazing:eek:
I would think the Accelero is much quieter than the stock cooler, my TR certainly is.

As they say, your mileage may vary. Not all the cards are "Golden Samples":p

Heh.

I simply could not get those two ramsinks to stick. On any of them... I went through it properly using isopropyl alcohol to clean the chips then a good quality eraser to give some purchase ... I even sanded one block of chips lightly to see if that made a difference... nada.

And the Scythe chips?

A secure stick first time each time so that was 36 successful first time sticks! :)

Conclusion: Accelero triple chip ramsink = too heavy + rubbish bonding :banghead:
Can't say you didn't clean off the chips enough! It seems that some brands use a cheap grade of thermal tape, while others use the good stuff, like 3M.

It doesn't have the voltage reculator chip that 65nm versions have and I think it is also what gives yout the VRM temps. (cost saving thing)
That must be it, I have seen this issue elsewhere as well, with the 285's. Makes it kind of difficult to see how the vrm temps. are doing:wtf:

System Name 0BL1V10N
Processor Intel Core i7 11700K @ 5.1GHz all-core turbo
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Taichi
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360 (with stock CM fans), 12x Pccooler Moonlight Series ARGB 120mm fans
Memory (4x16GB) 64GB Mushkin Redline Lumina 3600MHz 16-19-19-39 XMP
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID 24G (not using stock fans) (+150MHz core, +1000MHz memory)
Storage Western Digital Black SN850X 2TB Gen4 NVMe
Display(s) 1x Alienware AW3821DW (3840x1600@144Hz), 2x Dell SE2717H (1080p@75Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719 Anthracite Grey
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Drop THX AAA 789 + Custom Planar Magnetic Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1200W (12VHPWR)
Mouse Logitech G502 X Plus
Keyboard Too many custom mechanical builds to list...
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Where can I get this cooler? I've been snooping around the web for a while now with no luck.

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
Where can I get this cooler? I've been snooping around the web for a while now with no luck.
It's available in Europe, Finland:toast:( cheers to OnBoard:)) there is an online store in the UK that has a good stock of Acceleros that ships internationally, but the shipping cost to the US would be around 65 bucks:(
Arctic Cooling keeps delaying their US release, very similar to how Thermalright was dragging their butts releasing the HR-03 GTX, which was several months overdue.

clerick

It's available in Europe, Finland:toast:( cheers to OnBoard:)) there is an online store in the UK that has a good stock of Acceleros that ships internationally, but the shipping cost to the US would be around 65 bucks:(
Arctic Cooling keeps delaying their US release, very similar to how Thermalright was dragging their butts releasing the HR-03 GTX, which was several months overdue.

Strangely the hd4870x2 version is listed in the US (as coming soon mind you) but no mention of the gtx280 via frozencpu.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...ME_4870X2_VGA_Cooler_ATI_Radeon_HD4870X2.html

OnBoard

clerick

There was some talk about May (in an email form artic cooling). Don't know how official, but hope it is. Waiting is no fun :)
I'm tired of my turbine as well. Need quiet (and watercooling is out of the question since I move a lot/had friends pc absolutely destroyed due to a leak 3 months after pc got wc).

System Name Adrenaline™
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650 Extreme Edition
Motherboard DFI LanParty UT X48 T2R w/ Flame Freezer Equipped
Cooling Corsair H50 Custom Fitting Push & Pull
Memory Patriot Viper Extreme 2x2GB 1066MHz
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce ENGTX285 1GB
Storage 3 units Western D 640GB AAKS RAID 0
Display(s) Dual Dell WFP3007-HC
Case Cooler Master HAF932 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Professional Audio Edition
Power Supply In Win Commander 1200W
Software Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit OEM
Benchmark Scores http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=835357
System Name Silent allround
Processor i5 750 @ 3,0Ghz 1.04v / 3.4Ghz 1.11v/ 3,6Ghz 1.15v
Motherboard Gigabyte P55-USB3
Cooling Thermalright IFX-14 + Scythe Slip Stream 140mm @ 600RPM
Memory 2 x 4GB Samsung M378B5273DH0-CH9 @ 2000 MHz 9-10-10-27 T1
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X @ 940/1270
Storage Intel Postville 80GB SSD & Western Digital Green 2TB
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp U2412M
Case Bitfenix Merc Alpha
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2 with Unified Drivers
Power Supply Nexus NX-5000 R3 530W
Benchmark Scores Super pi 1M : 8,549s @ 4,7Ghz (Core i7 920)
does anyone knows if the GTX 285 stock cooler or GTX 260 stock cooler is the same as the GTX 280 stock cooler?
Because i need the VRM part you know...
:)