• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Accelero Xtreme GTX 280 mini review and support

Devil May Cry

Hey OnBoard, and everyone else.

With the coming of the new furmaerk hot like hell, I've found that it's the memory overheating, now I'm guessing its the ones right to the VRM. But who knows, so which Enzotech should I get for the memory?
Thx in advance,

EDIT: Nvm it's not the VRAM. This is got to be the hardest thing I have ever done in the pc world. Seriously everything works if it's individually overclocked but all together does not. I think it has to be the vrm, maybe the temp sensor isnt that accurate.

Last edited:

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
With the coming of the new furmaerk hot like hell, I've found that it's the memory overheating, now I'm guessing its the ones right to the VRM.
EDIT: Nvm it's not the VRAM. Seriously everything works if it's individually overclocked but all together does not.

Every component heats a bit eatch other. You have to lower the highest stable individual clocks to get them working together. I usually find the max for memory, then find the max for core. Lower core 5MHz and leave it overclocked and find the max for memory again knowing where to look. Quicker way would be find a max for both and lower them 10MHz and see if it's good together.

Thanks for the info, the new version looks cool :) Did some extreme burning mode + postfx on, not bad at all (1st VRM runs the hottest). About 4min run, though did have my window open and air outside is quite fresh :D edit: -16C or 3.2F

Last edited:

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Video Card(s) 7950 Crossfire
Storage Samsung 830 256GB
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Power Supply XFX Seasonic OEM 1250
Software W7 64 Pro
Nice temps OnBoard!
Looks like you have really tamed the vrms after all the work and modding put into it. 55C on the gpu? That's almost like an idle temperature!
I guess the Finland winter helps somewhat! We are having a fairly mild February, about +7C during the day. I will have to check out the new version too, but I am kind of afraid to push things too far with an sli heatbox:p

Devil May Cry

Nice temps.

Well it does sound logical that the components heat each other up. But all the temps are fine in gpu-z. I'm gonna' figure this out for sure!

OnBoard

Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
Nice temps.

Well it does sound logical that the components heat each other up. But all the temps are fine in gpu-z. I'm gonna' figure this out for sure!

What sort of artifacts do you get? There is sample youtube videos of shader (big blocks) and memory (small dots) artifacts with FurMark. If you get a crash or alock up, then you are way too high :)

Unrelated thing, liking my CPU :) http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=996615

OnBoard

Whats better, the Enzotech MOS-C1 or the stock vrm plate?

Not quite sure if anyone has tried both, at least they haven't shared the info here :) If you can get them cheap and are ordering something else as well, might be worth to try. Anyhow doubt there will be many degrees difference. Enzotech is copper but stock plate part weighs a bit more.

Devil May Cry

I'm gonna try Scythe VGA Chip heatsinks first. They are pretty cheap so if they don't work it's not the end of the world. Saw some one else actually using them on GTX 280 on the forum.

OnBoard

Devil May Cry: yes, those would be good for RAM. Don't quite fit anywhere else on GTX 280.

Some Accelero action (and more). Got both 3DMark through with 1512 shaders. Haven't tested them in a long time. Memory might like to go higher now, this was my highest Furmark stable saved EVGA Precision profile, but lots of modding since :)

Have run benchmarks last 3 hours and OCing an hour before that, think it's enough now :D

Devil May Cry

Youre PC and clocks are almost identical to mine ;)
i5 at 3.8GHz here. I can reach 4.2GHz but its really thirsty at that point so...

And my gtx 280 goes to 730/1512/2600. It does however reach 756 on core but needs a bit more voltage so I run it at 730MHz.

dudesty

Hi guys,
first of all I'd like to thank you all for tremendous job you've done. :respect: I've read whole thread to make sure, that i'm gonna install accelero (non-PRO version) on my gtx280 just once and properly :) Since I don't wanna loose warranty, I chose the enzotech way. Unfortunately after I ordered MOS-C1, I was told, that only C10 are currently available, so I hope they will fit to mosfets without cutting.
Since the enzotechs are too hight, I was wondering if anyone tried to shift them between accelero fins (bend the acc fins little, so there would be some space for enzotechs)
Anyway keep up the good work and thanks again!

OnBoard

Enzotech MOS-C1 = 6.5(L) mm x6.5mm(W) x12mm(H)
Enzotech MOS-C10 = 10(L) mm x 10mm(W) x 14mm(H)

I think you have to at least cut them in half, to make 'em fit. And then take out 5mm from top, fitting between the fins will be harder than cutting. But they are double the weight, so they'll cool well, if you can get most of them to fit.

Good luck with the project :)

dudesty

I know, that they are bigger, but from pics posted all around it seemed, that C10 might fit on most of mosfets (they just need 1.8mm of space around each side). Well I'll see. If it goes well, I might take some pics.

Last edited:
System Name Habu
Processor Intel i7-4940K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-AR
Cooling Noctua
Memory 16 GB ?
Video Card(s) EVGA 780ti
Storage Crucial M4 256 GB, WD Black 1 TB
Display(s) Dell 19"
Case Corsair 540 AIR
Power Supply Silverstone
Software Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, SP 2
Well I might be putting the Acceleros back on if all goes well. I bought me a new/larger case to help the cards and my Corsair h50 get along. If there's enough clearance between slot 3 on my P6T dlx and whatever is below it, back on go the Acceleros. It's a better cooler and this helps eliminate the ghetto wiring job I did on the fans.

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
Well I might be putting the Acceleros back on if all goes well. I bought me a new/larger case to help the cards and my Corsair h50 get along. If there's enough clearance between slot 3 on my P6T dlx and whatever is below it, back on go the Acceleros. It's a better cooler and this helps eliminate the ghetto wiring job I did on the fans.
As we both have two 275's I am interested how this works out for you. I find the Acceleros to be better integrated with the cards than the T-Rads, and having the fans connected directly to the cards power plug is less hassle than separately wiring the fans to external power.
What case did you buy? I wasn't sure if it's the one in your specs. (the Element S) or another. Fortunately my case (Antec 902) had 8 pci-e slots, which was necessary for the cards to clear each other with the Acceleros, although that's with a tri-sli board. This still includes enough clearance for the bottom-mounted power supply. Having said that, I bought a Lian-Li PC-7FN which I will be replacing the 902 with. It also has 8 slots, which will be the same layout as with the 902. Hopefully the P6T will provide enough spacing for the Accelero-equipped 275's.

Last edited:
System Name Habu
Processor Intel i7-4940K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-AR
Cooling Noctua
Memory 16 GB ?
Video Card(s) EVGA 780ti
Storage Crucial M4 256 GB, WD Black 1 TB
Display(s) Dell 19"
Case Corsair 540 AIR
Power Supply Silverstone
Software Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, SP 2
I stumbled upon a refurbished Coolermaster ATCS 840 which was hard to pass for the cost and that it would be free shipping from CM. I like free shipping when it comes to cases, especially for the size of the 840.:)

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
I stumbled upon a refurbished Coolermaster ATCS 840 which was hard to pass for the cost and that it would be free shipping from CM. I like free shipping when it comes to cases, especially for the size of the 840.:)
That's a classy case, full-size with lots of room. Good savings, and shipping wouldn't be cheap for that case. Closest thing I had to that was a Stacker.
If there were any clearance issues with the power supply in the bottom of the case, you could just switch it to the top!

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 7950 crossfire
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) Xonar STX
Power Supply Seasonic X1050
Software Windows 7 X64
Have you guys seen this Thermalright spitfire? It makes my HR-03 GTX look tiny. :laugh: If I ever pick up a 5870 this will be my cooler coupled with one of these and some enzo memory sinks. Thats just crazy. :D

That's a classy case, full-size with lots of room. Good savings, and shipping wouldn't be cheap for that case. Closest thing I had to that was a Stacker.
If there were any clearance issues with the power supply in the bottom of the case, you could just switch it to the top!

That really is my dream case. Well obtainable dream case. I just cant justify ditching my 1200 for the time being.

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
Have you guys seen this Thermalright spitfire? It makes my HR-03 GTX look tiny. :laugh: If I ever pick up a 5870 this will be my cooler coupled with one of these and some enzo memory sinks. Thats just crazy. :D
That really is my dream case. Well obtainable dream case. I just cant justify ditching my 1200 for the time being.
Hey Babs,
Thanks for the update, first time I have seen or heard of the Spitfire. I just read one of the reviews on it, looks like a darn good cooler. Sure whups the T-Rad, but probably not much difference from the HR-03 GTX. A 5870? Not gonna wait for Fermi:D
I wouldn't blame you if you did go to the red camp, although a second 280 sure wouldn't be too shabby either. I'm just trying to get you and OnBoard interested in sli:p
But then there is the sli motherboard requirement, etc.

I'm really liking the Acceleros though. No video card upgrade plans for me for a while yet. But that doesn't exclude other things! I also picked up a Seasonic M12D 750w modular ps to put in the Lian-Li. Easier cable management than the PCP & C's non-modular set.

I have to stick with cases that have 8 pci-e slots for now because of the Acceleros on the 275's. I had a Lian-Li PC-65W back in the stone age, thought about getting another Lian-Li eventually, this one met my needs and budget. Still has their trademark polished aluminum interior, but there is a new all-black version coming out soon.

As for your 1200, that's a case you can use for many more years.
Even if it means putting an ATI card in it:D

Last edited:

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 7950 crossfire
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) Xonar STX
Power Supply Seasonic X1050
Software Windows 7 X64
Hey Babs,
Thanks for the update, first time I have seen or heard of the Spitfire. I just read one of the reviews on it, looks like a darn good cooler. Sure whups the T-Rad, but probably not much difference from the HR-03 GTX. A 5870? Not gonna wait for Fermi:D
I wouldn't blame you if you did go to the red camp, although a second 280 sure wouldn't be too shabby either. I'm just trying to get you and OnBoard interested in sli:p
But then there is the sli motherboard requirement, etc.

I'm really liking the Acceleros though. No video card upgrade plans for me for a while yet. But that doesn't exclude other things! I also picked up a Seasonic M12D 750w modular ps to put in the Lian-Li. Easier cable management than the PCP & C's non-modular set.

I have to stick with cases that have 8 pci-e slots for now because of the Acceleros on the 275's. I had a Lian-Li PC-65W back in the stone age, thought about getting another Lian-Li eventually, this one met my needs and budget. Still has their trademark polished aluminum interior, but there is a new all-black version coming out soon.

As for your 1200, that's a case you can use for many more years.
Even if it means putting an ATI card in it:D

I kind of figured that you would move that sli rig into a full tower at some point, plus you can never have too many hard drives. So, it helps there too. :D A modular PSU must also be nice. You'll never see pics of my rig since between the PCP&C PSU, 1200 with after market fans, and quite a few hard drives cable management is a nightmare. It's not too bad but pics make it look worse than it really is in person. :laugh:

How is sli treating you? I just worry with older games all modded up like Morrowind with MGE. Oblivion, etc since a 4870x2 doesn't perform so well there. Either way I plan on sticking with my 775 setup for a bit longer and there is nothing that would make me use an nForce board, not again (I still have nightmares). It's treating me well and sandy bridge isn't too far away. Well no further away than fermi. :laugh:

I don't plan on going red anytime soon. Not for the price of a 5870. It's well over $100 than I paid for my 280 well over a year ago and I'll be honest I was a bit disappointed with the 4870 and x2 but if it hits $300 and they take care of those GSOD issues I would be willing to test one out.

BTW, Have you seen the Prolimatech MK-13? :D

Retro*

Processor 2500K
Motherboard Asus M4E
Memory Corsair Doms
Display(s) Acer X223w
Case TJ07
Software W7 64 Pro
I kind of figured that you would move that sli rig into a full tower at some point, plus you can never have too many hard drives. So, it helps there too. :D A modular PSU must also be nice. You'll never see pics of my rig since between the PCP&C PSU, 1200 with after market fans, and quite a few hard drives cable management is a nightmare. It's not too bad but pics make it look worse than it really is in person. :laugh:

How is sli treating you? I just worry with older games all modded up like Morrowind with MGE. Oblivion, etc since a 4870x2 doesn't perform so well there. Either way I plan on sticking with my 775 setup for a bit longer and there is nothing that would make me use an nForce board, not again (I still have nightmares). It's treating me well and sandy bridge isn't too far away. Well no further away than fermi. :laugh:

I don't plan on going red anytime soon. Not for the price of a 5870. It's well over $100 than I paid for my 280 well over a year ago and I'll be honest I was a bit disappointed with the 4870 and x2 but if it hits $300 and they take care of those GSOD issues I would be willing to test one out.

BTW, Have you seen the Prolimatech MK-13? :D

Actually that Lian Li case is still a mid-tower, but with 8 slots it's sufficient for my setup.
As far as drives, I'm still just using one hd, a 500G Barracuda. Someday in the future I guess the ssd's will be on the list. I have been wanting to get a modular ps for a while, I would have liked a Corsair 850 or 1000w but they are a bit too pricey. The Seasonic was on sale online for an hour only at $99 so I was lucky to snap one up at that price. The PCP&C will be a good spare since it's still working fine.

I thought the 1200 was similar to my 902 for cable management, but with a lot of drives and the PCP&C 750 it is a bit difficult to get it perfect. Main thing is that the 1200 has tons of space for all that.

Sli has been great for me, the Accelero'ed 275's are a good team. I don't know about all the older games like Oblivion but I would think they would run fine. I've seen other posts on the 4870x2 where they were disappointed with it's performance. I once thought they would do better too, I considered buying one on sale before I got the 275's. Not that ATI hasn't made up for that now:D

A friend is wanting to go sli and is considering replacing his P45 board with a last-gen Nvidia nForce board, I told him to avoid doing that. Luckily they are hard to get now! I plan on sticking with this P55 setup for a while.

Checked out the Prolimatech review, I have heard about that cooler but first time I've seen one. Looks very good, tons of fan options, except the vrm cooling issue rears it's ugly head again. Thermalright sure has a good looking vrm cooler for ATI cards though, that may work with other coolers. Skythe also has a couple of video card coolers (Musabi? Wasabe? whatever they are called:p) but with so-so results. Well, with sli, the Acceleros are still my best option, even with six 92mm fans going they are still fairly quiet.

Last edited:

OnBoard

Accelero won't fit Fermi, now that I saw those shots of the card. Missing NVIO chip, so core is more to left and cooler would hit the card/case back.

http://translate.google.com/transla...-de-gevoelige-plaat-gevangen.html&sl=nl&tl=en

Core IHS is smaller now, propably back to the popular previous mount hole distance. So Accelero Twin Turbo Pro would be the one that fits or just about any HD4000 GF9000 series compatible cooler.

Anyhow, looks really simple to cool, unlike these cards. Only question mark is those 6 tiny things next to VRM mosfets. Seem to have thermaltape on them, but are they on same level or lower?

System Name Current
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite
Cooling Full Waterloop
Memory 32Gb DDR4 3600 (4x8Gb)
Video Card(s) MSI RX6800XT Gaming X Trio 16Gb
Storage 2x SN850 1Tb & 1x Netac NV7000 2TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG32V
Case NZXT H9 Flow
Audio Device(s) Dali Zensor 1 Speakers and Tangent Ampster BT II
Power Supply NZXT C850
Mouse G502 SE
Keyboard Currently: Monsgeek M1
Software Windows 11 64 Pro
Hi, I signed up as this thread was really helpful and informative ^^ I ordered the Accelero XTREME GTX Pro a couple of days ago after reading about the original and the new ver from this forum. My GTX 275 will either cause a bluescreen and restart or the game will freeze for about 1 min then the audio will stop, black screen, audio starts, then the game continues for about another 5 - 10 mins. If i manually set the fan speed to 70% + those problems will not occur, so im hoping the accelero fixes the problem without me having to manually adjust the fan speed.

Anyway just thought I would post my thanks to you guys ^^

Chris