• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer Nitro 5 i7-8750H overheating and throttling

danmasino

Hi guys,
I hope someone can help me.
I've already did my best to solve but I'm not satisfied at all.

I had throttling and overheating problem (cpu reach 96-98 c°), so I decided to change thermal paste without big results.
Then I tried switching from "performance mode" to "balanced mode "and cpu temperature went down about 10° but cpu was still throttling...
Finally I decided to make a clean install and installing throttlestop (i downloaded pre made profile for my cpu from this link --> https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/577183/throttlestop-undervolt-profiles-pre-made/p1)

Ok now throttling stopped (yeahhhh), but temperature continue to stay around 90-95°.
Where is the problem?

Do you have any tips or setting that could help me?

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Hi all,
no one can help me?
This forum leans heavily towards the desktop space with limited experience in the laptop space, help will come later rather than sooner.

My generic answer will be to keep throttling the CPU speed until it reaches acceptable temps under load?

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
What programs is causing the processor to run so hot. Mobile processors can run hotter without any issues, anything around 85C-90c is normal.

Have you considered undervolting the mobile processor.
Go over to http://forum.notebookreview.com/
Those forums are more for laptops

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro
This is a good guide for undervolting:

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Hi guys,
I hope someone can help me.
I've already did my best to solve but I'm not satisfied at all.

I had throttling and overheating problem (cpu reach 96-98 c°), so I decided to change thermal paste without big results.
Then I tried switching from "performance mode" to "balanced mode "and cpu temperature went down about 10° but cpu was still throttling...
Finally I decided to make a clean install and installing throttlestop (i downloaded pre made profile for my cpu from this link --> https:

Ok now throttling stopped (yeahhhh), but temperature continue to stay around 90-95°.
Where is the problem?

Do you have any tips or setting that could help me?
Post screenshots of all your changes in Throttlestop, and list details of what you are doing with the laptop that causes temps to rise, programs games etc.

danmasino

Hi to all,
and thanks for your messages.

Please find below my current Throttlestop setting:

Why do you suggest to make undervolt with Intel XTU?
I thought that Throttlestop was doing the same work here. Isn't it?

By the way, I noticed the problem i told you before when i play most part of the games (CSGO, XCOM and so on...)
I will post you some screenshot soon after having had a gaming session.

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Hi to all,
and thanks for your messages.

Please find below my current Throttlestop setting:

Why do you suggest to make undervolt with Intel XTU?
I thought that Throttlestop was doing the same work here. Isn't it?

By the way, I noticed the problem i told you before when i play most part of the games (CSGO, XCOM and so on...)
I will post you some screenshot soon after having had a gaming session.
Throttlestop and xtu both undervolt but becareful in running them both at the same time. If you use Throttlestop dont use XTU.

danmasino

Throttlestop and xtu both undervolt but becareful in running them both at the same time. If you use Throttlestop dont use XTU.
Yes I know, I ve already unistalled XTU before launching Throttlestop

These are my temperatures after about 30min gaming session (XCOM):

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I notice in the FIVR window you have undervolted the Intel GPU but not the iGPU Unslice, they must both be undervolted the same value.
Also I believe undervolting the System Agent will be of no value in reducing temps.
Try fixing those issues then do another gaming sesion and check temps.
You might have to change the CPU Core Voltage to a lesser value such as -125mV after you try the initial changes.
@Max(IT) thoughts?

System Name MSI GP76
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Maybe the heatsink is bent in someone way. When people take off the heatsink it's easy to bent it.

n00Be

hey danmasino
These Acer Nitro 5's run insanely hot. I bought a refurb'd one with an i5-8300U in April for my kids who are starting to game. They play Fortnite on Switch, XBox One, but are starting to look the Acer with xbox controller or keyboard/mouse (I also have it pushing 165fps on this 144Hz display... Have got it past 200fps on all Medium settings).

You mentioned re-pasting. Which did you use and what method to apply?

I've repasted mine TWICE. First time was with Arctic Silver 5 (I was impatient so picked it up locally for $5 along with my new RAM). When I opened up my Acer it looked like the previous paste had been applied well/evenly. Both my CPU & GPU heat sinks are rectangular, so instead of the pea shaped blop in the middle I made a short line of paste down the middle. After the Arctic Silver 5 repaste I noticed ZERO difference. The CPU would still regularly crest 92-93C when gaming (even 95/96 peak). I downloaded Intel XTU to undervolt (KNOWING its not designed for my i5 - great software and after a -.145 undervolt it actually helped lower my temps a bit to mid-high 80's hitting peaks of 91/92 except the program messed up my default settings! It changed turbo boost short power max default from 45w to 52.xxx (DEFAULT). After several un-install/re-installs and a BIOS update to latest version I ditched it and went with THrottlestop... what a wonderful program. Sure enough it showed my turbo boost short power max was still at 52.xxx I've since changed it back to 45w (max & short power max). I'm now undervolting my CPU -.150(150.4) on performance mode. The interesting thing about Throttlestop is it shows me the temps on all 8 cores. I read that you should ideally have 3-5C different in core temps. I noticed mine were off as much as 10C max between the cores and wondered if maybe I had not applied the Arctic Silver 5 properly. So I ordered the 5g Grisly Kryonaut with the spread on tip applicator. Instructions actually say to spread the paste onto the heat sinks with the applicator so that's what I did, including the excess onto the copper connection areas atop the whole fax/cooling assembly. NOW I notice a difference in cooling. On stress tests using MSI Kombustor (PhysX4 CPU - hard) the acer originally would top 96/97C CPU max and 77C GPU max. With the CPU undervolts (-.140-.150) the max came down to 85C. Now since the Kryonaut repaste i was amazed CPU Max was 75C (!) and GPU BTW was 68C. I have my 1060 GTX overclocked +175 core & +525 mem BTW.

So I have to say I'm very pleased with the kryonaut repaste. That said, prior to reaching this state I found the absolute best way to run this Acer Nitro 5 COOL. and I didn't do it using THrottlestop or XTU. What I did was in Windows Settings > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings you will see your selected power plan (High Performance, Balanced etc). When using Balance (via Nitrosense) and going to additional power settings, click on the "change plan settings" next to balance - it will bring up the screen to edit when the screen turns off and laptop sleeps on battery and AC. Click on "Change Advanced Power Settings", and then scroll down and expand "Processor Power Management". What I did was set MIN processor state to 0% for both battery & AC (not sure what default is actually), and under MAX processor state I set both to 99% & saved. This essentially kills turbo boost which I found was the reason why these laptops run so bloody hot. In High-Performance mode my i5-8300U would sit at 3.97-3.98 GHz constantly, even at idle. Under (default) Balanced mode it would fluctuate between base clock of 2.3 GHz and max, but the minute you open a Chrome browser its roofed to max speed. With Max processor state at99%, the CPU in balanced will not go above 2.18GHz on this machine. I've tested the performance myself playing games like World or Warships and monitored my kids on Fortnite - SLIGHT fps drop but no impact on gaming whatsoever (in HP mode fps will be glued to 165/164 as I have it capped at 165 - in Balanced 2.18GHz max it averages fluctuates btw 130-150 and peaks at 165). I honestly leave the laptop set on Balanced - the big reason is the CPU temps rarely get into the 70s! Kids can play for hours and I look at the telemetry on nitrosense or throttlestop and temps are low to high 60's celcius. At least now when we do use HP mode temps average mid 70s getting into low 80s.

One note about this 99% max processor state for balanced: The minute I click the box for SpeedShift - ERP in throttlestop, it somehow enables turbo boost again and the Ghz will now go beyond the 2.18GHz ceiling. THat said, it usually doesn't go past 3.3 or 3.5 GHz. I'm still playing with SpeedShit. On benchmarks sites or stress tests I will enable click) it on with number set to 0 for max performance, or 128 sometimes. I do think its a smart feature because whereas before in HP mode the CPU speed would be glued to the roof 3.98GHz, when speedshift is clicked even at max 0 setting teh CPU speed fluctuates. NExt thing I'm trying to read up on is the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits. I've heard that can be beneficial.

Hope you find some combination of settings to lower your temps.
I'd seriously recommend you try setting up Balanced power mode to 99% max processor state and see if it can cut it on games that are more GPU intense than CPU.

System Name MSI GT77HX
Processor Intel i9-13980HX
Memory 64 GB DDR5 @ 4800 mhz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 4090 Mobile
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
Display(s) 4K/144 Hz Mini-LED
Benchmark Scores 23,616 Timespy Graphics
Seems hot even for a laptop, my 9750H runs a fair bit cooler than that most of the time.

Playing Valkyria Chronicles only puts my CPU at 15% utilization, and GPU (1660 TI) at 41%, but running at 144 fps my cpu temps peak at 69 C, and GPU at 50 C.

More demanding games will push the temps higher, but still not as high as your Acer seems to be reaching.

Processor Reasonably good Intel CPU
Motherboard Eh, the cheapest ATX that supports the processor
Cooling Big ass Noctua always a good thing to have
Memory Cheapest 32GB kit for my needs
Storage NVME 2x, SSD 2x, HDD 1x
Display(s) Dual monitor 1080p for life!
Case NZXT Flow
Audio Device(s) ALC something-something
Power Supply Good ol' Corsair
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Keyboard Cheap Logitech wireless keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm in the market to buy a semi gaming laptop and the Nitro 5 is under my consideration along with Asus Tuf FX505.

Looking at Notebookcheck, it seems the Nitro 5 have inherent issue with heat dissipation.

From the FLIR image, the processor area is quite hot. From my limited time as laptop reviewer a decade ago, it seems the problem comes from the heatpipe isn't as effective to transfer heat to the fin stack. If you look at the second internal layout picture, the heatpipe from the processor seems took quite a long path to reach the fin stack. Compared to the Asus, it has shorter path from heatpipe to fin stack

Acer heatpipe
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 11.56.02.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-18 at 11.55.43.png

Asus heatpipe
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 12.17.25.png

I really like the Acer chassis, it has two m.2 slot and extra 2.5". In my country only the 2.5" slot is occupied so I can use the m.2 slot to upgrade the machine. However I might have to look real close about the heat issue since I live in the tropics and my average room temp is 30 degrees C. Then again the SKU available in my country is the Ryzen 5, so perhaps heat is less of a problem.

System Name MSI GT77HX
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
I've been quite happy with my Maingear Vector, paid $999 for it at Microcenter, i7-9750H, GTX 1660 TI, 16 GB DDR4 @ 2666 mhz, 512 GB NVME M.2 SSD, 144 Hz 1080P LG IPS Panel.

It's not necessarily the coolest running laptop around, but it definitely runs cooler than the Acer Nitro.

For the record I have tested two acer nitros and I never gonna buy one acer again. They took away all power settings and good things. For my current Lenovo I can set all bymyself. I cant understand why they took it away even there is 10000x forum posts for throttling. Its bios locked and if you accidentally even update with windows update its very hard to get back to older version. I very much recommend set all automatic updates off if your current laptop is working well. And if you dont believe me go to the acer forum :D

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I'm in the market to buy a semi gaming laptop and the Nitro 5 is under my consideration along with Asus Tuf FX505.

Looking at Notebookcheck, it seems the Nitro 5 have inherent issue with heat dissipation.

From the FLIR image, the processor area is quite hot. From my limited time as laptop reviewer a decade ago, it seems the problem comes from the heatpipe isn't as effective to transfer heat to the fin stack. If you look at the second internal layout picture, the heatpipe from the processor seems took quite a long path to reach the fin stack. Compared to the Asus, it has shorter path from heatpipe to fin stack

Acer heatpipe
View attachment 159383View attachment 159385
Not sure where you found your images, but the Acer site shows a different fan layout.

Nitro 5_KSP4.jpg

Not sure where you found your images, but the Acer site shows a different fan layout.

View attachment 159399
Yes and they dont care if you have problems that are bcuz of them

View attachment 159399

There you can scroll and seek your friends with same problem

n00Be

View attachment 159399

the new/current Nitro's now have fans on either sides and dedicated heatpipes for GPU and CPU. Same with the Pradators. I think any Acer nitro you look at with an 8th or 9th gen intel and older style Nvidia GPU (1050/60/70 or 1060 etc) will have the older, inefficient cooling design. In hindsight I would have looked closer at this but had no clue when I was buying a new laptop. I knew the Nitro 5 were classified as "budget gaming" laptops, plus it was a refurbished unit for my kids so not too worried as they will likely break the thing in short order...

Will also agree that these acers have VERY limited features in BIOS. No access to XMP profile for example; i just assume my two 8GB ram sticks are running in dual channel mode.

I've finally got my acer nitro 5 running at decent temps but it took 2 re-pastes and undervolting (first via XTU which was a mistake, now with throttlestop). But out of the box this thing ran 95C non stop :S

the new/current Nitro's now have fans on either sides and dedicated heatpipes for GPU and CPU. Same with the Pradators. I think any Acer nitro you look at with an 8th or 9th gen intel and older style Nvidia GPU (1050/60/70 or 1060 etc) will have the older, inefficient cooling design. In hindsight I would have looked closer at this but had no clue when I was buying a new laptop. I knew the Nitro 5 were classified as "budget gaming" laptops, plus it was a refurbished unit for my kids so not too worried as they will likely break the thing in short order...

Will also agree that these acers have VERY limited features in BIOS. No access to XMP profile for example; i just assume my two 8GB ram sticks are running in dual channel mode.

I've finally got my acer nitro 5 running at decent temps but it took 2 re-pastes and undervolting (first via XTU which was a mistake, now with throttlestop). But out of the box this thing ran 95C non stop :S
How much do you get with cinebench? 3146p i7-9750h with lenovo and max temp 93c

Attachments

• cine5.PNG
    cine5.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 542
Last edited:

n00Be

How much do you get with cinebench? 3146p i7-9750h with lenovo and max temp 93c

Literally heard about & DL'd cinebench last night lol
Ran it a few times making some tweaks along the way... no clue if 2048, 2069, or 2078 are good scores for an i5-8300H... I'm just happy the Throttlestop logs didn't appear to show any throttling. Although I'm not sure how stressful this test is - would have loved to try this before my re-pasting & undervolts when this nitro regularly ran 90-95C during other stress tests like Kombustor, etc).

Attachments

• cinebench 3 2078.PNG
    cinebench 3 2078.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 504
Literally heard about & DL'd cinebench last night lol
Ran it a few times making some tweaks along the way... no clue if 2048, 2069, or 2078 are good scores for an i5-8300H... I'm just happy the Throttlestop logs didn't appear to show any throttling. Although I'm not sure how stressful this test is - would have loved to try this before my re-pasting & undervolts when this nitro regularly ran 90-95C during other stress tests like Kombustor, etc).
Can you post your tpl and fivr settings? My last laptop had i5-7300HQ so I know something about it

Last edited:

n00Be

Can you post your tpl and fivr settings? My last laptop had i5-7300HQ so I know something about it

For FIVR the only changes I've made is the -.150 undervolt (core & cache). I'm planning to test out Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits. Also just read a suggestion to undervolt the core a bit more than the cache. THE REST OF THIS STUFF IS GREEK TO ME! :)

For TPL, the only change I made was to set Turbo Boost Short Power Max "back" to 45. This WAS the original default on this machine - when I first used intel XTU to undervolt, the app permanently changed my default short power max from 45 to 52.250. Was unable to change that default in XTU so after uninstalling and loading Throttlestop it sure enough showed 52.250 so I changed it back to 45. Both TB max settings were originaly 45 W.

Attachments

• FIVR.PNG
    FIVR.PNG
    246.1 KB · Views: 569
  • TPL.PNG
    TPL.PNG
    88 KB · Views: 577
System Name MSI GT77HX
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
I5-8300H is massively faster than i5-7300H, 8th gen was a huge performance jump.

For FIVR the only changes I've made is the -.150 undervolt (core & cache). I'm planning to test out Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits. Also just read a suggestion to undervolt the core a bit more than the cache. THE REST OF THIS STUFF IS GREEK TO ME! :)

For TPL, the only change I made was to set Turbo Boost Short Power Max "back" to 45. This WAS the original default on this machine - when I first used intel XTU to undervolt, the app permanently changed my default short power max from 45 to 52.250. Was unable to change that default in XTU so after uninstalling and loading Throttlestop it sure enough showed 52.250 so I changed it back to 45. Both TB max settings were originaly 45 W.
Install that disable and lock turbo ratio limits at fivr. Remove xtu from your computer. IccMax all the way to the right and I think you can increase short power to.

EDIT: Unclewebb answered to this so I think dont use my advices..

I5-8300H is massively faster than i5-7300H, 8th gen was a huge performance jump.
I dont argue with that, Im just trying to give help this guy.

Last edited: