• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer to Acquire US-Based Gateway

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Acer Inc., one of the world's leading branded PC vendors, announced today it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Gateway, Inc. Gateway is the fourth largest PC company in the US and a leading retail PC provider. The combination will create a multi-branded PC-company with over US$15 billion in revenues and shipments in excess of 20 million PC units per year.

Under the terms of the agreement, Acer will commence a cash tender offer to purchase all the outstanding shares of Gateway for $1.90 per share, which represents total equity value consideration of approximately $710 million. The acquisition has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both Gateway and Acer and is subject to standard closing conditions, including approval under Hart Scott Rodino, Exon Florio and similar laws outside the U.S. The acquisition is expected to close by December 2007.

Gateway earlier announced that it intends to exercise its Right of First Refusal to acquire from Lap Shun (John) Hui, all of the shares of PB Holding Company, S.ar.l, the parent company for Packard Bell BV - a leading European PC vendor based in France. In addition, Gateway is currently in discussions with a third party with regards to a sale of its U.S. based Professional business.

"This strategic transaction is an important milestone in Acer's long history" said J.T. Wang, Chairman of Acer. "The acquisition of Gateway and its strong brand immediately completes Acer's global footprint, by strengthening our US presence. This will be an excellent addition to Acer's already strong positions in Europe and Asia. Upon acquiring Gateway, we will further solidify our position as number three PC vendor globally."

Gianfranco Lanci, President of Acer, added, "Both Acer's and Gateway's geographical presences and product positioning are highly complementary. We believe that our combined scale will lead to significant efficiencies. Gateway has built one of the industry's most powerful and unique brands and with this acquisition, we will have the opportunity to implement an effective multi-brand strategy and cover all the major market segments. In time, we intend to actively manage our brand portfolio and differentiate our brands to address different consumer segments. We are also acquiring a world-class team and Gateway's employees will be critical to our combined success."

"We believe our complementary geographical and product mixes, and our mutual focus on the consumer market makes Acer an outstanding partner for Gateway." explained Ed Coleman, CEO of Gateway. "Joining with Acer will enable us to bring even more value to the consumer segments we serve and capitalize on Acer's highly regarded supply chain operations and global reach to expand the scope of the Gateway and eMachines brands around the world. Acer has made impressive strides in the global PC market and the board and I welcome this merger."

The combination of Acer and Gateway is expected to result in significant revenue and cost synergies. The considerable increase in scale will result in reductions in per unit procurement and component costs for both companies. This combination also creates a real opportunity for the cross-selling of product portfolios by leveraging the customer relationships of both Acer and Gateway. Significant savings are also expected through the increased efficiency of the combined back-office functions. The pre-tax synergies are expected to be at least $150 million. In addition, this transaction is expected to be accretive to Acer's earnings per share in 2008 without synergies.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
YES!!! i hate gateway and Acer will take much better care of the company imo

System Name Battle Station
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix x570-I
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 240
Memory Crucial DDR4-3200 32 GB
Video Card(s) 1 x Gigabyte RTX 4090
Storage Adata 1Tb NVME
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey
Case Hyte Y60
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX + Ultrasone Pro 900 + JBL SLR 308 speakers and SLR 310 subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair SFX 750W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard The rabbit hole of custom mechanical keyboards
Software Window 10 Ultimate x64
So they will finally get rid of the cow's print on their boxes!

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Gateway is an amazing company, they used to make the best commercials, and way back when their desktops were actually easy to customize/upgrade. Now, I love their laptops, and their support is top-notch. What Acer will do to Gateway, time will tell, but I sure hope they don't just kill it.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Wow such huge gateway haters in this thread:shadedshu:shadedshu

Its not like Gateway is a first party company anymore where they would screw us over by requiring us to buy any upgrades or spare parts from them. Thats when they sucked. But I have had a complete turnaround in terms of liking Gatway they are coming out with some relatively inexpensive high powered desktops right now that I really like. If I ever decide to buy a desktop instead of build one it would be either an HP or Gateway brand (though not emachines since i have yet to see a high end emachines desktop lol). Personally I think that with Acers expertise in laptops and Gateways expertise in desktops it could deliver a one-two punch among many other things.

THis merger will be great for them and the consumer hopefully. Though I cant help but wonder what will happen to the Gateway and Emachines logos will they still be sold with their original names like Emachines computers still are or will they all be changed to the logo Acer or will they come up with a brand new name from the three new united companies. Either way I hope it doesnt create any problems with the customer in terms of name brand lol

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I love Gateway. My second pc, first ever bought by me, was a Gateway Athlon Thunderbird 1200mhz. Still have parts from that computer Im using. It was awesome and their support is top notch. Ive never used an Acer so I cannot comment on them, but Im sure they will take care of the company.

V lyx

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35c-DS3R
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS 9700
Memory Crucial BallistixTracer 2x1GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 8800GTX
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (PRT) 320GB
Display(s) SAMSUNG 226BW LCD & Compaq CV535 CRT
Case GIGABYTE 3D Aurora 570
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX
Software Window's XP Pro~32bit
Acer is no better than gateway imo, prob worst. You should see how many "I hate acer computers websites" there are. My sister bought one from them and tryed to get it fixed and they ended up losing her computer.

ktr

yea, acer has a horrible website, but their products are great! and a good price too.

System Name COLOSSUS-MK4
Processor E8400 @4.4 GHz - FSB @550 MHZ
Motherboard Asus P5K Premium (Black Pearl)
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 2x1GB Geil BlckDrgn 800 @1158 5-5-5-18
Video Card(s) 8800GT 512MB @740/1782/2080
Storage Hitachi T7K250 250GB & 7200.10 Seagate 250GB
Display(s) Gateway FPD1975W 19" Widescreen
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Xi-FI Xtreme Audio
Power Supply CoolerMaster IGreen 500W
Software XP Home SP3
Benchmark Scores SuperPi: 10.563 Sciencemark: 2563.14
I love my Gateway laptop (my family have 3). I can oc this 1.86Ghz Pentium M 750 to 2.2Ghz:rockout: