• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ADATA Launches SP910 2.5-Inch and SP900 M.2 SATA SSDs

ADATA Technology, a leading manufacturer of high-performance DRAM modules and NAND Flash application products, today launches three new SATA 6 Gb/s SSDs - the Premier Pro SP900 M.2 2242 and 2282 for Ultrabooks and desktop PCs, and Premier Pro SP910, which is suitable for gamers and video editors. No matter the computer, users can find the best solution to upgrade and experience the optimized performance of an SSD.

The Premier Pro SP900 M.2 2422 and 2280 are the latest and smallest SSDs in the market with extremely slim designs and small dimensions (22x42 mm, 22x80 mm), which meet the M.2 standard from Intel. They are smaller than the typical 2.5" SSD and mSATA, but come with bigger capacities, including 128 GB, 256 GB, and 512 GB. The two SSDs are not only suitable for Ultrabooks, but also for new motherboards in the next generation of PC upgrades.

With the LSI SF-2281 controller, the sequential read/write speed of SP900 M.2 2242/2280 is up to 550/530 MB/s, which greatly enhances the speed of data transfer. The SP900 M.2 2242 and 2280 also support Intel Smart Response Technology, that automatically identifies the data and applications most often used, speeding up the data transfer and providing bigger storage capacity compared to other SSDs. Additionally, SP900 M.2 2242 and 2280 support DVESLP (Device Sleep) to save power for a longer battery life.

Premier Pro SP910 - Built For Professionals, Gamers and Video Editors
Using the Marvell controller 88SS9187, the Premier Pro SP910 keeps stable performance and offers sequential read/write speeds up to 560/460 MB/s, and 4KB random read/write speeds up to 91,000/77,000 IOPS for rapid computing and data transfer. With these benefits the Premier Pro 910 is definitely an ideal solution of multi-tasks, such as executing applications and playing videos.

Thanks to the built-in ECC (Error Code Correction) technology (up to 128bits/2KB), the Premier Pro SP910 can improve the reliability of data transfer. The S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) can automatically detect drive errors in the SSD to ensure data security.

The Premier Pro SP910 includes 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, and a massive 1 TB in capacity, meeting the needs of different users, whether playing games, running software, or using operating systems. For those who want to upgrade the computers for gaming or video editing, the SP910 is the best choice.

The SP910 has an ultra slim 7 mm thick body, which supports all slim PCs in the market. With the bundled 2.5 mm spacer and the 3.5" converter, the SP910 is compatible with 9.5 mm applications and traditional mechanical drive bays.

To give the users full support and convenience, those who purchase ADATA SSDs can download the free "SSD Toolbox" software and "Acronis True Image HD". The "SSD Toolbox" helps users to access more information about the SSD and adjust system settings for stability and a longer life expectancy. "Acronis True Image HD" helps to transfer the files to the new SSD rapidly.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
Why are they even bothering releasing these SATA SSDs in M.2 format? Surely anyone with M.2 on thir motherboard, even if it's "only" the 10Gbit version will want native PCIe ones and throughput more in the 750-950MB/s range? Otherwise you may as well get a standard 2.5" one.

The only use I see for these is in the mobile space and maybe they are dumping stock of the SATA-based controllers at lower price points before introducing the PCIe ones?

If that's the case they shouldn't be marketing it as "premier", "gaming", "pro", "the best choice" and trying to say it's fast though. ;)

More marketing FUD.

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
Why are they even bothering releasing these SATA SSDs in M.2 format? Surely anyone with M.2 on thir motherboard, even if it's "only" the 10Gbit version will want native PCIe ones and throughput more in the 750-950MB/s range? Otherwise you may as well get a standard 2.5" one.

The only use I see for these is in the mobile space and maybe they are dumping stock of the SATA-based controllers at lower price points before introducing the PCIe ones?

If that's the case they shouldn't be marketing it as "premier", "gaming", "pro", "the best choice" and trying to say it's fast though. ;)

More marketing FUD.

maybe because 750-950MB/s is still faster than 600MB/s?

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
maybe because 750-950MB/s is still faster than 600MB/s?

Sorry, I don't get your point? These ones are only 550MB/s.

Which they suggest is "greatly enhanced".

It only is versus platter drives; we've had these speeds on SSDs literally for years and it's not the enhanced speed of even the slower version of the new format ...

Of course as it's a SATA 6GB/s controller it never can be faster. Very dubious marketing IMO.

BTW, I love your avatar.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
You know, with how fast SSDs already are and how I/O has been practically eliminated as a bottleneck with them, do you really think that more bandwidth is going to make machines go that much faster? Even with RAID, you don't notice the difference unless you're copying huge files, which isn't what SSDs are good at in the first place. Neither is it what you're going to typically be doing with an SSD unless you want to kill it.

Either way, I think the difference will really be small except on benchmarks. When it comes to responsiveness, it probably won't matter.

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
I'd agree regarding response time, but e.g. Game level load times could be improved a lot and better storage bandwidth should be part of that equation.

It still doesn't change the fact that this is being marketed as the fastest thing going, when in fact it's still using the older technology which was my point.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I'd agree regarding response time, but e.g. Game level load times could be improved a lot and better storage bandwidth should be part of that equation.

It still doesn't change the fact that this is being marketed as the fastest thing going, when in fact it's still using the older technology which was my point.

That depends on how many resources need to be loaded, their sizes, and where they are on the drive in addition to how much of the time the machine is spending on actually doing I/O versus prepping said resources and the state of the application. The faster the storage becomes, the less of a bottleneck it is in the entire processes of getting a game ready to be played or an application ready to be used. So if it takes 8 seconds to load but it's only really spending 2 seconds of that time loading content from a regular SATA 6GB SSD, even if you double the I/O speed, you're only shaving 1 second off your loading time. Granted this is a highly speculative example where you could have the opposite case where the only thing that needs to be done is loading resources, in that case you shave it down from 8 to 4 seconds, but the point is, the faster you make any one process of the application, the more that the others become a bottleneck and gains from doubling any one step of that process become smaller.

Consider for a moment that storage I/O has been improving a lot faster than CPU speeds, so the more bandwidth we squeeze out of storage, the more time (as a percent of the total time spend doing something,) will be spent waiting on the CPU to get stuff done than time it takes to read data out of storage.

So take the 2 seconds of I/O during an 8 second load example, that's I/O taking 25% of the time to load. Once you half it, it's only 1/7th or ~14.3% of the time it takes so any improvement to I/O will be less substantive than prior gains because you're waiting on different things more than you are on I/O.

I think I/O largely became less of a bottleneck since the advent of SSDs in general and the fact that it has been improving faster than CPU speeds (relatively speaking,) which is causing it. That's just my rationale behind why I think that M.2 is kind of a waste of time (at the moment) but that's me. You can only improve memory and storage so much before you naturally make the CPU your bottleneck.

Processor R9 3900X
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Everything has the potential to be a bottleneck at some point. ;)

I did notice improved load times on many games when using 2 x SSDs in RAID0, so I still think storage speed is important for that and if the CPU is causing delay loading levels then the load method maybe needs to be revised, I'm pretty sure there is enough bandwidth to get the data over to the graphics cards fairly quickly versus SSD speeds.

Maybe CADAVECA or someone with access to a load of test hardware can do some game load time benchmarks comparing scaling on the storage side, CPU side and PCIe speed to the graphics cards. That might be a fun way to spend a weekend. ;)

Anyone have a Micron P420m kicking about? That should answer the question pretty decisively.

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
Sorry, I don't get your point? These ones are only 550MB/s.

Which they suggest is "greatly enhanced".

It only is versus platter drives; we've had these speeds on SSDs literally for years and it's not the enhanced speed of even the slower version of the new format ...

Of course as it's a SATA 6GB/s controller it never can be faster. Very dubious marketing IMO.

BTW, I love your avatar.

sorry my bad i misread the article... or its been edited? i dunno been in the hospital for a while. and thanks about the avatar.

oh wow... this thread is older than i thought... my bad lol (silly alerts)