• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ADATA Sets New Overclocking Record with XPG SPECTRIX D80 RGB Memory Module at 5584 MT/s

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
At least when you’re done with LN2 you don’t need to rebuild the engine :p
After LN2, you very well might end up with a dead CPU, so actually yeah, you might.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
After LN2, you very well might end up with a dead CPU, so actually yeah, you might.
Maybe... but it doesnt happen all of time (might). In fact I have more cpus alive after ln2 sessions than dead. Engines are rebuilt after every drag race regardless if they still work. ;)

Except it's just to see if the computer will boot and be stable enough for a screenshot. If you want to compare LN2 to an engine, this isn't like drag racing, it's like being in the lab (engine alone,) hooked up to a dyno and a bunch of computer equipment with everything being controlled. Sure, it's neat to see what something can do when you push it to the limit in a controlled and optimal environment, but even on the track you don't have that.

Even when you're drag racing, you care about power to the wheels, not power to the crank.
No.

1. Being in "the lab" is like binning the chips for ln2.
2. Running benchmarks IS being on the track! It's our race track!
3. Raw horsepower (mhz) and tweaking each benchmark are important. Tweaking is akin to setting up your car for each track (benchmark) and getting the power to the wheels.
4. Dragsters, like ln2 users, generally have a 'track car' and dont run their daily driver under ln2.

Stockpowerup showing its mettle.. :(

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
1. Being in "the lab" is like binning the chips for ln2.
Even in the lab they'll do a full power test with real conditions. They're not disabling cyclinders to figure out how fast the thing will rev in a special atmosphere specifically for that purpose. LN2 is only for numbers, even more so when you start disabling cores or running fewer memory channels. LN2 isn't even really like being in a lab, it's more like feeding the engine varying degrees of pure oxygen to improve power. My point is that LN2 has really nothing to do with the real world, just as feeding an engine pure oxygen doesn't either. Drag and track and daily driver vehicles have something all in common, they breathe the same air (most of the time,) which consists mostly of nitrogen. Most computers have a similar constraint, they're all subject to ambient temperatures, even if you're liquid cooling.

Analogies to the side, raw power means nothing if you can't use it which is why I think LN2 is a fun experiment to see what it can do, but it's ultimately a waste because you literally get nothing tangible out of it other than bragging rights and an opportunity to stroke your ego.
Stockpowerup showing its mettle.. :(
Not all of us care about such things like you do.

Not all of us care about such things like you do.
Its painfully obvious...and also OK. It's the manner in which not cared is shared that grinds on those who do enjoy this hobby.

but it's ultimately a waste because you literally get nothing tangible out of it other than bragging rights and an opportunity to stroke your ego.
Everybody likes to be good at something. This is a hobby for a lot of people... like drag racing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's when that opinion just shits on others and is toxic is when it gets annoying no matter what side were on. We all stroke our egos and have pride in what we accomplish...just (whoever) dont crap on it when threads like these come about and pretend to get it when it's clear most dont.

This place just gets more unpallatbale as the days go on.. :(

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Its painfully obvious...and also OK. It's the manner in which not cared is shared that grinds on those who do enjoy this hobby.

Everybody likes to be good at something. This is a hobby for a lot of people... like drag racing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's when that opinion just shits on others and is toxic is when it gets annoying no matter what side were on. We all stroke our egos and have pride in what we accomplish...just (whoever) dont crap on it when threads like these come about and pretend to get it when it's clear most dont.

This place just gets more unpallatbale as the days go on.. :(
I'm sorry you're offended.

I look at things from a "how can this be applied" view. I'm a software engineer and I care about things I can use in my day job. When linux kernel updates improve performance, I get excited. I respect that people enjoy this as a hobby, but that doesn't really change my opinion of it. Most of us don't run computers just to make the room warm so to speak. From a "what does this get me" standpoint, LN2 gets me practically nothing other than a little bit of excitement if I'm the one playing with it. I'm sure it's fun to push hardware to the limits, but that doesn't really get us anywhere, does it? If I have a job that would take 36 hours to run on my 3930k, would you want to try that under LN2? Of course not, it makes no sense. It makes no more sense than crunching for WCG with a machine under LN2. It's simply not feasible. That's why I feel the way I do.

I'm not going to post anything else on the matter because I've already annoyed people, but (for me,) I think it's important to explain why I feel this way since I can't say something short and sweet without being questioned about it.

Just so we make full circle, this all started with my first comment.
Even enthusiasts like realistic numbers. I'm not putting my machine under LN2. :laugh:

I'm sorry you're offended.
Nice...blame me for being offended by those who minimize and disparage our hobby. Its funny, the extreme overclocking group here are some of the most humble people when it comes to benchmarks and results. You don't see us throwing out results and saying hey nanu nanu my stuff is faster which makes you doo doo... but here we are when threads like these come up, people left and right chopping it down. :(

TPU just isnt for those people 5 people here who have done sub ambient cooling. But there isn't a reason for people to shit on the hobby, nor try to explain something they dont understand. We dont ask for anyone to understand...but respect for those who do this should be displayed. We dont look down our nose at those who dont/cant.

Respectfully, I dont think anyone cares why people feel this way, but just prefer those who do to keep the chiding, disparaging, and clueless comments to themselves.

I wonder if tpu needs an extreme overclockers zen thread... this way those who enjoy the hobby of competative overclocking can do so without judgement and ridicule. Maybe they should stop posting news about it too as its always the same thing that happens...

Anyway, I digress as well. :)

Last edited:
Processor Pentium II 400 @ 516MHz
Motherboard AOpen AX6BC EZ
Cooling Stock
Memory 192MB PC-133
Video Card(s) 2x Voodoo 12MB in SLI, S3 Trio64V+
Storage Maxtor 40GB
Display(s) ViewSonic E90
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster 16
Software Windows 98 SE

Of all the CPUs I’ve run subzero, I’ve damaged the IMC on an Athlon FX-55 and that’s it. During a session with a friend he killed his Phenom X6 1090T due to bad insulation, but that’s the closest I’ve been to killing something. I’ve run hundreds of CPUs subzero, so no, it’s not a case of “you might very well.” It’s a case of “there’s a tiny chance.”