• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Add USB 3 on a PC that only has USB2

I have a old PC with only USB2 on it ,i want to get USB3 on it.Is this the right card i need?
PCI-E Express USB 3.0 Expansion Card Adapter 4 Ports Hub Adapter Controller
or is this just for adding more USB3 ports to a PC that all ready has USB3 ports?

1635422074349.png

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
That card will work to add USB 3.0 support to your PC. But I, personally, would NOT get that one for several reasons.

1. It does not support auxiliary power input. It gets power for itself and all the connected devices only through the PCIe slot. That's fine if you only will be connecting low power devices (like thumb drives). But if you want to charge your phone plus connect multiple demanding USB devices that don't have their own power supplies, you may put too much demand through that PCIe slot which is limited to a maximum of 75W. IMO, an expansion card with a supplement power connection directly from the PC's PSU (typically through a standard drive power cable) is the only way to go.​
2. It does not support "internal" USB 3.0. connections. This means, should you want to some day (if not in this computer, but your next one) install a front panel drive bay USB 3.0 hub, you can't.​
3. No USB Type C support.​

A card similar to this one has it all. It has external USB 3.0 ports to support your external devices. It has internal USB ports to add internal devices and/or to connect to a front panel USB hub. It supports power via a PSU connection, and it l has a two USB Type C connections.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
To add to Bill's post above, please be aware that the card he suggested would definitely be a much better choice, however, if you plan to connect internal devices to it, like a front I/O panel or hub, you will also need a 19/20 pin-to-USB 3 cable with an A-type connector, if you don't have one already....

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
That card will work to add USB 3.0 support to your PC. But I, personally, would NOT get that one for several reasons.

1. It does not support auxiliary power input. It gets power for itself and all the connected devices only through the PCIe slot. That's fine if you only will be connecting low power devices (like thumb drives). But if you want to charge your phone plus connect multiple demanding USB devices that don't have their own power supplies, you may put too much demand through that PCIe slot which is limited to a maximum of 75W. IMO, an expansion card with a supplement power connection directly from the PC's PSU (typically through a standard drive power cable) is the only way to go.​
2. It does not support "internal" USB 3.0. connections. This means, should you want to some day (if not in this computer, but your next one) install a front panel drive bay USB 3.0 hub, you can't.​

A card similar to this one has it all. It has external USB 3.0 ports to support your external devices. It has internal USB ports to add internal devices and/or to connect to a front panel USB hub. It supports power via a PSU connection, and it l has a two USB Type C connections.
Power draw is a non-issue, PC USB ports are all under 10W, 4 ports draw about half of what the PCIe can supply.

But if the OP needs to charge stuff, he should be looking at ports with power delivery. I know, USB is so "universal", you need a college degree to navigate its specs :(

Thanks for your advice Bill :) Would this be ok ,it is a lot cheaper,i don,t want front ports in the future.
1635434816865.png

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
So that Above, you should look for a card that has a External LINK

Card with Type-C LINK

Plus I'd grab some Female USB external cables LINK

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Power draw is a non-issue, PC USB ports are all under 10W, 4 ports draw about half of what the PCIe can supply.
It is an issue. You are assuming only 4 devices will be connected. There is nothing to suggest we will not add a hub or two, then daisy chain even more devices. While perhaps not likely today, and maybe not even in the foreseeable future. But what about 2, 3 or 4 years down the road?

And please note, I specifically said, "I personally" would not get that one, and "IMO" supplemental power input is the only way to go. I did not say it was a requirement for the OP.

Would this be ok
Only you can really answer that because only you know what your needs are. Bug is absolutely right if you will only be connecting 4 devices to that card. And in that case, your first choice is fine.

But for me, I still would like a card that supports Type C and power since several of my device use Type-C, including my phone which supports rapid charging, the lights for my bike, and my external power pack. Sure, I could use standard USB to C adapters, but adapters are a PITA.

So that Above, you should look for a card that has a External LINK

Card with Type-C LINK

Plus I'd grab some Female USB external cables LINK
Link one do I need the two connectors?
Or can I just have a SATA one like this? Or the one with Molex I posted before.?
I don,t need a USB C . This guy has made my mind up mind.
I am getting the one under this. It is in my price range of ÂŁ10.
1635438894497.png

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) Onboard
yes it will but the way my case is... just it has usb3 so I had to buy that card to allow the ports to work - Ha

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It does not support auxiliary power input. It gets power for itself and all the connected devices only through the PCIe slot. That's fine if you only will be connecting low power devices (like thumb drives). But if you want to charge your phone plus connect multiple demanding USB devices that don't have their own power supplies, you may put too much demand through that PCIe slot which is limited to a maximum of 75W. IMO, an expansion card with a supplement power connection directly from the PC's PSU (typically through a standard drive power cable) is the only way to go.
For a 4 port card this is completely unnecessary. Each port can only supply a maximum of 4.5w. So the whole card would only pull a maximum of 18w from the PCI-E slot.

It is an issue. You are assuming only 4 devices will be connected. There is nothing to suggest we will not add a hub or two, then daisy chain even more devices. While perhaps not likely today, and maybe not even in the foreseeable future. But what about 2, 3 or 4 years down the road?
This does not matter. Even with a hub connected, the maximum power a single port can provide is 4.5w. Adding a hub does not increase that, the 4.5w is just shared among all the ports on the hub. If all the ports on the hub need to pull more than 4.5w, the hub either has to be powered or the port's over current is supposed to trigger and shut the port off.

And even if we say that plugging hubs in would increase the power draw from the PCI-E slot, if you plug 4 4-port hubs into each of the 4 USB ports on that card, you get 16 ports at 4.5w each. That's still under the 75w the PCI-E slot can safely deliver.

No USB Type C support.
Does anyone regularly plug USB-C devices into the back of their computer? What is even the point of that? I've had 2 USB-C ports on the back of my computer and have never once plugged something into them. Hell, I've only used the USB-C on the front panel once. Other than USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, which requires the USB-C connector, having USB-C on a computer is completely useless. Get as many USB-A connectors as you can, if you need USB-C use the adapter cable that comes with every device with a USB-C connector on it.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Does anyone regularly plug USB-C devices into the back of their computer? What is even the point of that? I've had 2 USB-C ports on the back of my computer and have never once plugged something into them. Hell, I've only used the USB-C on the front panel once. Other than USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, which requires the USB-C connector, having USB-C on a computer is completely useless. Get as many USB-A connectors as you can, if you need USB-C use the adapter cable that comes with every device with a USB-C connector on it.
There are lots of people with usage cases that are different to yours and yes, some of them actually use the USB-C ports.

I actually plug things into the rear panel USB-C ports. I have three desktop Windows PCs with USB-C ports (only one is described in my system specs); actually I have a fourth temporary build. Usually these are external drives (3.5" HDD, 2.5" SSD and m.2) to ensure highest transfer rates. If I plug these into the one of the USB-A ports there's a chance that the port itself will be a bottleneck (I have the black, blue, and red ports). If I plug my external drives into the USB-C ports, I don't need to think about this.

My Mac mini 2018 has four Thunderbolt 3 ports and two USB-A ports. They are all being used. One of the Thunderbolt ports is connected to a Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Box (fitted with a Radeon RX 580 graphics card); the rest have disk drives connected.

My Acer Swift 3 has a Thunderbolt 3 port and there's a USB-C hub plugged in which provides power to charge the notebook, extra USB-A ports, a couple of video ports, and an Ethernet port (I use the latter all the time).

If no one on this planet used USB-C ports, computer manufacturers would remove the feature, just like Nvidia removing the VirtualPort from their Ampere cards.

Returning back to the OP's topic, I suggest seeking out a PCIe card that supports USB 3.2 rather than the old 3.0 standard. They're backwards compatible and at some point in the future they may have a usage case for faster transfer rates.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I actually plug things into the rear panel USB-C ports. Usually these are external drives (3.5" HDD, 2.5" SSD and m.2) to ensure highest transfer rates. If I plug these into the one of the USB-A ports there's a chance that the port itself will be a bottleneck (I have the black, blue, and red ports). If I plug my external drives into the USB-C ports, I don't need to think about this.
Obviously this depends on the PC. The port obviously doesn't dictate the speed, depending on the computer the USB-C port could be slower than a USB-A port. But I'd rather just have all USB-A ports on the computer itself that are all rated at the same speed. The port shape is just that, the shape, it tells you nothing about the speed. Hell, there are USB-C ports that only give USB2.0 speeds. So in the end, you just have to know what speed the port is going to give, you can't just look at the shape and know for sure the USB-C port is faster.

You use the USB-C ports because they happen to be faster than the USB-A ports on your computer, but do they have to be USB-C? If you knew the USB-A ports were faster, you'd just be using those.
My Mac mini 2018 has four Thunderbolt 3 ports and two USB-A ports. They are all being used. One of the Thunderbolt ports is connected to a Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Box (fitted with a Radeon RX 580 graphics card); the rest have disk drives connected.
Those are thunderbolt ports, not USB-C. Same shape, different standard. You can't connect an eGPU to any old USB-C port.

My Acer Swift 3 has a Thunderbolt 3 port and there's a USB-C hub plugged in which provides power to charge the notebook, extra USB-A ports, a couple of video ports, and an Ethernet port (I use the latter all the time).
So your argument for USB-C is that is allows you to plug in an adapter that lets you use USB-A. Great feature there. Or, you know, you could just have a USB-A port to begin with...

On a laptop, I will say USB-C makes sense though. You can fit more of them in the smaller spaces of these super thin laptops. But on a desktop that doesn't move and has plenty of space, I see no point in having USB-C on the back with the exception being the standards that actually require it(Thunderbolt and USB 3.2 Gen2x2).

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Can I throw at the op what MB you have? Should that be a big concern about how the speeds will work...

And yeah just use a type USB A to C cable man

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Obviously this depends on the PC. The port obviously doesn't dictate the speed, depending on the computer the USB-C port could be slower than a USB-A port. But I'd rather just have all USB-A ports on the computer itself that are all rated at the same speed. The port shape is just that, the shape, it tells you nothing about the speed.
Luckily the manufacturers of my PC motherboards used quality chipsets and specced their USB-C ports so they are USB 3.2.

Hell, there are USB-C ports that only give USB2.0 speeds. So in the end, you just have to know what speed the port is going to give, you can't just look at the shape and know for sure the USB-C port is faster.
This is pedantic blathering.

I know that the speed specification and the connector type are independent of each other. Fortunately my motherboard manufacturers weren't stupid enough to muddle the situation.

Just read the owner's manual the first time you use it and there's no guessing. Hell, I looked at the owner's manual before I bought these motherboards so there would be no unwanted surprises.

It's not rocket science and you don't need a Ph.D. in electrical engineering to figure this out.

While the scenario you describe is possible, in a practical sense, when you buy a $200 motherboard from a reputable manufacturer, you aren't likely to get something that is completely cocked up.

You use the USB-C ports because they happen to be faster than the USB-A ports on your computer, but do they have to be USB-C?
No, I don't. But I'd rather not use a dongle if possible. I have tons of dongles, USB-A to USB-C cables, USB-C to USB-C cables, a couple of Thunderbolt 3 rated cables.

If you knew the USB-A ports were faster, you'd just be using those.

Those are thunderbolt ports, not USB-C. Same shape, different standard. You can't connect an eGPU to any old USB-C port.
No, you cannot. But Thunderbird 3 ports function as USB-C ports. Only one of the four Thunderbolt 3 ports on my Mac communicates with that protocol. The rest act like vanilla USB-C ports. At one point I had one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports driving my LG monitor but I've since switched to the HDMI 2.0 port.

So your argument for USB-C is that is allows you to plug in an adapter that lets you use USB-A. Great feature there. Or, you know, you could just have a USB-A port to begin with...
I never said I used adapters. I don't care much for dongles. I prefer cables with the correct connectors on each end. Like I said, I have a ton of these.

The only time I use dongles is when I'm travelling with my notebook PC. I have no interest in using dongles at home.

Last edited:
There are lots of people with usage cases that are different to yours and yes, some of them actually use the USB-C ports.

I actually plug things into the rear panel USB-C ports. I have three desktop Windows PCs with USB-C ports (only one is described in my system specs); actually I have a fourth temporary build. Usually these are external drives (3.5" HDD, 2.5" SSD and m.2) to ensure highest transfer rates. If I plug these into the one of the USB-A ports there's a chance that the port itself will be a bottleneck (I have the black, blue, and red ports). If I plug my external drives into the USB-C ports, I don't need to think about this.

If no one on this planet used USB-C ports, computer manufacturers would remove the feature, just like Nvidia removing the VirtualPort from their Ampere cards.

Returning back to the OP's topic, I suggest seeking out a PCIe card that supports USB 3.2 rather than the old 3.0 standard. They're backwards compatible and at some point in the future they may have a usage case for faster transfer rates.
I am using the Thunderbolt connection on my iMac for a TB3 drive as an external Bootcamp drive for Windows . What's the point of having ports if you don,t use them. I just wish I could get a PCI card for Thunderbolt on my HPZ230 Workstation. As I have an Apple Thunderbolt Display not being used.

Case Apple proprietary
I am using the Thunderbolt connection on my iMac for a TB3 drive as an external Bootcamp drive for Windows . What's the point of having ports if you don,t use them. I just wish I could get a PCI card for Thunderbolt on my HPZ230 Workstation. As I have an Apple Thunderbolt Display not being used.
Yes, someone who understands.

I'm not going to plug in only Thunderbolt 3 devices into my computers' Thunderbolt 3 ports.

The inclusion of support for the USB protocol was specifically included by the people who came up with the spec. Some people in tech forums can't see to understand usage cases that are different than their own or provide any sort of flexibility.

The flexibility is a desirable benefit. If you don't like it, don't use it. But it's strange when people don't understand that others may take advantage of these benefits. It's like they don't understand that a car can have a cigarette ashtray that isn't used as cigarette ashtray.

So weird.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Luckily the manufacturers of my PC motherboards used quality chipsets and specced their USB-C ports so they are USB 3.2.
USB 3.2 what? Just saying USB 3.2 does not tell you what speed the port runs at. A 5Gbps, 10Gbps, and 20Gbps can all be labeled USB 3.2.

This is pedantic blathering.

I know that the speed specification and the connector type are independent of each other. Fortunately my motherboard manufacturers weren't stupid enough to muddle the situation.

Just read the owner's manual the first time you use it and there's no guessing. Hell, I looked at the owner's manual before I bought these motherboards so there would be no unwanted surprises.

It's not rocket science and you don't need a Ph.D. in electrical engineering to figure this out.

While the scenario you describe is possible, in a practical sense, when you buy a $200 motherboard from a reputable manufacturer, you aren't likely to get something that is completely cocked up.
And all of that applies to USB-A just as USB-C. Read the manual, find what ports run at what speeds. You still haven't made an argument for why USB-C on the back of a desktop computer makes sense.
I never said I used adapters. I don't care much for dongles. I prefer cables with the correct connectors on each end. Like I said, I have a ton of these.

The only time I use dongles is when I'm travelling with my notebook PC. I have no interest in using dongles at home.
You very specifically said you use a dongle/adapter and now you say you aren't. Make up your mind.
That's my point. USB-C on the back of a computer, especially an older one that needs a PCI-E card just to get USB3.0, are probably going to go unused. There just isn't much use for a USB-C port on the back of a desktop computer.

D

Deleted member 24505

Why don't motherboards just come with a breakout box or 5.25" bay to replicate all ports on the back. They put most connectors on the back where sometimes it means reaching around or even pulling the case or desk out to actually use them. That's why they started putting them on the front of a case.

Case Apple proprietary
USB 3.2 what? Just saying USB 3.2 does not tell you what speed the port runs at. A 5Gbps, 10Gbps, and 20Gbps can all be labeled USB 3.2.
No, but the manual will. That's why I said you should read the manual.

These days, motherboard manufacturers often put logos next to the ports (or use different plastic colors on the tongue) to identify the speed like SS10. If I use the USB-C port on my motherboards, I know I'm getting the fastest connection and I don't have to pull out a flashlight and look at the logos or open up the manual PDF again.

And all of that applies to USB-A just as USB-C. Read the manual, find what ports run at what speeds. You still haven't made an argument for why USB-C on the back of a desktop computer makes sense.
I have external disk drive enclosures with USB-C connectors. I want to plug these into my PCs (both Windows and Mac). Why should I want to plug it into a USB-A port?

If you haven't noticed, USB-C ports are rotationally symmetrical. You don't have to figure out which way to plug in the cable. This is considered an improvement over the USB-A port which can only accept a cable in one orientation. Same problem with USB Mini A, USB Mini B, USB Micro A, and USB Micro B. All of those connectors can only be plugged in one orientation.

LOL it usually takes me three tries to plug in a USB-A cable.

:p

You very specifically said you use a dongle/adapter and now you say you aren't. Make up your mind.
No, I did not.

Your reading comprehension needs work.

Exercise for you: QUOTE the specific passage where I said that I used a dongle/adapter with my desktop PCs. I specifically stated that I only keep dongles around for travel with my notebook PC.

That's my point. USB-C on the back of a computer, especially an older one that needs a PCI-E card just to get USB3.0, are probably going to go unused. There just isn't much use for a USB-C port on the back of a desktop computer.
When someone buys a PCIe card get USB 3.0 ports, they're going to use them. Nobody sane buys PCIe cards to plug in their cases and let go unused. They buy them because they have run out of ports and want more. There's nothing wrong with a slower speed USB-C port. I have keyboards that have USB-C connectors, they could easily be plugged into one of these older USB-C ports.

I realize that this is beyond your comprehension but many people don't have the finances to buy a bunch of stuff they don't use.

Carry on.

:D

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

These days, motherboard manufacturers often put logos next to the ports (or use different plastic colors on the tongue) to identify the speed like SS10. If I use the USB-C port on my motherboards, I know I'm getting the fastest connection and I don't have to pull out a flashlight and look at the logos or open up the manual PDF again.
Again, you seem to fail to realize that there are many different motherboards out there and just because USB-C is the fastest ports on your motherboard doesn't mean it is the fastest port on everyone elses. You argument doesn't justify why someone buying a USB3.0 PCI-E card needs USB-C ports on that card or even justify why USB-C ports need to be on the back of a desktop PC. Just make the USB-A ports the fastest ports, so you can plug anything you want in and get as good of a connection as you can.

I have external disk drive enclosures with USB-C connectors. I want to plug these into my PCs (both Windows and Mac). Why should I want to plug it into a USB-A port?
That nice. Do you think OP, or anyone else that us looking at buying just a PCI-E card with 4 USB-A ports has a bunch of external USB-C devices they will be plug in? You have on USB-C device, and some how that justifies having USB-C on the back of the desktop computer. Why? If you are plugging it into the back of the desktop, it's getting plugged in one and thats it. Use a USB-A to USB-C cable. There is no reason for USB-C on the back of a desktop.

No, I did not.

Exercise for you: QUOTE the specific passage where I said that I used a dongle/adapter with my desktop PCs. I specifically stated that I only keep dongles around for travel with my notebook PC.
I never said you use it with your desktop. I said you're argument for USB-C is so that you can plug in a dongle that gives you USB-A. That is specifically what you said you do. And it proves that the USB-C was useless since you are just converting it to USB-A anyway. It's a poor argument for USB-C if you're saying your primary use case is to plug in a dongle that gives you USB-A ports. Just use a USB-A port to begin with.

When someone buys a PCIe card get USB 3.0 ports, they're going to use them. Nobody sane buys PCIe cards to plug in their cases and let go unused. They buy them because they have run out of ports and want more. There's nothing wrong with a slower speed USB-C port. I have keyboards that have USB-C connectors, they could easily be plugged into one of these older USB-C ports.

I realize that this is beyond your comprehension but many people don't have the finances to buy a bunch of stuff they don't use.

Carry on.
No, my comprehension is why are they wasting money on a PCI-E card with USB-C ports. Tell me this, what style port ON THE BACK OF A DESKTOP is more like to be used, a USB-A or a USB-C? Answer: USB-A. So why recommend OP waste money on a USB-C PCI-E card when all they want is to add some USB 3.0 ports?

I realize this is beyond your comprehension, but many people don't have finances to buy a bunch of stuff they don't use, like PCI-E cards with USB-C ports on them...

Case Apple proprietary
Again, you seem to fail to realize that there are many different motherboards out there and just because USB-C is the fastest ports on your motherboard doesn't mean it is the fastest port on everyone elses. You argument doesn't justify why someone buying a USB3.0 PCI-E card needs USB-C ports on that card or even justify why USB-C ports need to be on the back of a desktop PC. Just make the USB-A ports the fastest ports, so you can plug anything you want in and get as good of a connection as you can.
And that's why the acronym RTFM exists.

That nice. Do you think OP, or anyone else that us looking at buying just a PCI-E card with 4 USB-A ports has a bunch of external USB-C devices they will be plug in? You have on USB-C device, and some how that justifies having USB-C on the back of the desktop computer. Why? If you are plugging it into the back of the desktop, it's getting plugged in one and thats it. Use a USB-A to USB-C cable. There is no reason for USB-C on the back of a desktop.
Nope. I said that I use USB-C devices. I never told the OP to use USB-C. I just said that I have a bunch of USB-C devices that I prefer to plug into USB-C ports using USB-C to USB-C cables. I also have a bunch of devices that have USB-A ports. I still use those with the appropriate cable. I even have a handful of devices that use the USB-B ports, the Minis and Micros. When I plug in my iPhone, I use a Lightning to USB-A cable, the one included in the box by Apple.

I never said you use it with your desktop. I said you're argument for USB-C is so that you can plug in a dongle that gives you USB-A. That is specifically what you said you do. And it proves that the USB-C was useless since you are just converting it to USB-A anyway. It's a poor argument for USB-C if you're saying your primary use case is to plug in a dongle that gives you USB-A ports. Just use a USB-A port to begin with.
Wow, you can't admit that your reading comprehension needs work, and now you are creating facetious justifications to prop up illogic. Not a particularly good look.

No, my comprehension is why are they wasting money on a PCI-E card with USB-C ports. Tell me this, what style port ON THE BACK OF A DESKTOP is more like to be used, a USB-A or a USB-C? Answer: USB-A. So why recommend OP waste money on a USB-C PCI-E card when all they want is to add some USB 3.0 ports?
Again your reading comprehension needs more work.

I did not recommend a specific USB-C only card. In fact, all I said was that OP should consider a USB 3.2 card over one that just supports USB 3.0. I'm not dumb enough to tell OP to switch ports. It's their business what devices they plug it. However the possibility of acquiring faster devices in the future is not unrealistic. Buying a USB 3.2 PCIe card is a valid consideration.

C'mon man. Try reading a little more carefully. It won't hurt.

Last edited:

If you haven't noticed, USB-C ports are rotationally symmetrical. You don't have to figure out which way to plug in the cable. This is considered an improvement over the USB-A port which can only accept a cable in one orientation. Same problem with USB Mini A, USB Mini B, USB Micro A, and USB Micro B. All of those connectors can only be plugged in one orientation.

LOL it usually takes me three tries to plug in a USB-A cable.

:p

No, I did not.

Carry on.

:D
I would agree about plugging in USB3 ports can be a pain.USBC good plug them in either way.
To true no, one would buy a PCI card if they are not going to use it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
And that's why the acronym RTFM exists.

Nope. I said that I use USB-C devices. I never told the OP to use USB-C. I just said that I have a bunch of USB-C devices that I prefer to plug into USB-C ports using USB-C to USB-C cables. I also have a bunch of devices that have USB-A ports. I still use those with the appropriate cable. I even have a handful of devices that use the USB-B ports, the Minis and Micros. When I plug in my iPhone, I use a Lightning to USB-A cable, the one included in the box by Apple.

Wow, you can't admit that your reading comprehension needs work, and now you are creating facetious justifications to prop up illogic. Not a particularly good look.

Again your reading comprehension needs more work.

I did not recommend a specific USB-C only card. In fact, all I said was that OP should consider a USB 3.2 card over one that just supports USB 3.0. I'm not dumb enough to tell OP to switch ports. It's their business what devices they plug it. However the possibility of acquiring faster devices in the future is not unrealistic. Buying a USB 3.2 PCIe card is a valid consideration.

C'mon man. Try reading a little more carefully. It won't hurt.
You responded to my post about USB-C being unnecessary with a big long post about how you use USB-C all the time. Oh, and apparently your reading comprehension skills still suck, because even though I pointed out that just saying "USB 3.2" doesn't tell you anything about the speed, you still just keep saying USB 3.2.

Lets play a game. Every port in this picture is USB 3.2. No they are not all the same speed, no the USB-C isn't a thunderbolt port. But they are all USB 3.2.
usb3.2.jpg

So which is the fastest port and which is the slowest? Are they all faster than a USB3.0 port?

Audio Device(s) Onboard
If I was a Mod I'd be like... "Come on guys he has his Answer" just to clear the air

1. Buy a pci-e x4 card with a USB 3 + type c and be done with it
2. As mentioned it depends on the MB you have an it's chipsets
3. Either above or just get a Laptop...