1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

adding 120mm fan, what you think?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Chewy, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    humm I am adding a 120 mm fan to my case, I need cooling aswell but I am also going to cut my harddrive bay in half to make room for the fam to fit on the inside of the front of the case since its a gateway wish I had a camera I suck at photoshop but stay tuned. ( I will add what this is going to look like here in this post in 10 mins!

I know the harddrive is goiong to be right in the way of the fan but I dont have much options with a gateway case like mine.

[​IMG]

I will dampen any vibrastions from my half a duel hb bay somehow, the "bad" hd bay by the sd card slot does not alow my hd to fit/screw in there.

Do you think having the hd right in the way of the airflow really mess things up I know I should have more air sucking out need like a 60mm fan on the 3 open pci slots I got.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    Having an HDD next to a fan isnt a bad thing as HDD get hot too ;) Why not get one of those PCI exhaust fans or PCI fan card to go in your empty PCI slot?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I could findone I would, I hear umm most of them pci slot fans are weak not like the 60mm wont be weak though. hopfully I find one.

Anyone looking for a rotory tool should check out the Mastercraft Maximum SpinSaw. it has a 6 amp motor, and comes with a whole lot of acessorys including a hose thing for easy handling in small places. If you want somthing better than a regular rotory tool get it. :)
    Oh and it goes on sale at Canadian Tire for like 1/2 price sometimes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    or a dremel with a re-enforced cut-off blade ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeap yeap. I got a fully loaded rotory tool with a re-enforced cut-off blade, ready to do the job ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    god i love dremels (and other tools like it) they make modding so much easier

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you thinkg the fan being like close to 1 inch away from my harddrive affect things much like noise? going to have a spec under 1 inch gap between hd and fan fan is right behind hd perfectly lol still havent cut but 2morrow I will.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    EL Bumpo, worried about the not being able to push the air enough thus making noise? its a 120mm tt thunder at 7volts. goin to the gym brb

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    No, should be fine m8 ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    ty hair cut, gym than hopfully the time to do this :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    It seems Hookey and I are following the same threads... we have to stop meeting like this :wtf:

It's hard to tell from the graphic how your hard drives are oriented - are they in-line with the fan, or will it simply blow on the top/bottom of one of them? If they are in-line, it's a good thing, HDDs do produce heat. It will also matter how much of a gap you have between the drives... if the airflow is in-line.

For my Chiftech case, I used masking tape, a drill for a pilot hole and a saber saw to make the cut required for a 120mm fan on the bottom. I then went to the hardware store, bought a 1 ft. length of rubber screen bead, cut it longitudinally and covered the rough edges - this also makes sure there is some rubber betweent the fan and metal case. I have casters on mine, so the cool air blows up from the bottom.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah I was thinking of using rubber to dampen vibrations, but i dident buy any yet trying not to spend much on this pos computer, I got some fix all stuff its like a rubbery glue somewhere. cut my hd bay in half and it is loose when I screw it in now, ill just use lots of crazy glue or somthing lol, as long as it works I'm happy it is just a gateway case and as long as I keep the front platic panals original I'm happy.

The air can just go into the case fron under the hd.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    DONE! wonderful experience taking my computer apart, learned alot about how to take a computer apart now :) tidied up the cables aswell looks nice and squeezed a ruberband on the hd bay to keep it from going forward.

Gpu temp 43 idle from 49 before at stock speeds with a closed case now.

took off my heat sink and thats making some noise now, I just put it back on after :p, no new paste. I am going to check my cpu temp dl cpu I guess.

Computer Case closed Finnally!

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice, yeah ive been working on a case... oh so you know, you can take out your whole HD rack, and mount your hd in the cd rom bay fyi, so you have less stuff in front of you fan so you get more air to your vital componets

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    wish I could take a picture to post it it looks way bettter and works been wanting to do this for a long time, or get a new computer all together.

My one problem is my cpu fan is being louder than normal temps are normal fan is at 2650rpm though I think thats kinda high, max? this is in idle. no gaming yet.

Edit: ok its working better after a turn off, fan stays at 1800rpm idle now and the temp seems lower than normal.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    LOL m8 :roll:

10 Year Member at TPU