• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Adding a limit on 'likes'?

Would you like a limit on the number of 'likes' allowed in a 24 hour period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Part of the point of adding a 'thanks' or 'likes' button to a forum are to support the post you are thanking or liking. Be it THE answer to solve the OPs problem, or a push in the right direction if it isn't an absolute answer available at the time. This can be a good thing in forums if it used properly. Here at TPU (and many other large forums), the likes tend to get lost in, well, a pool of likes. While some of this is because of TPUs sheer size and forum activity, a lot of it is also simply because they will thank anything positive because they CAN thank anything that is positive and don't have a limit. This, in turn, tends to dilute the 'weight' of the likes on a given post and what likes 'mean' in a forum in general. I am part of this problem as well here. At my home forum, where there is a limit, this forces me to think for a split second on if the post is really good enough to receive one of the thanks allotted. Here, I just click it. Nearly meaningless if they don't cost anything. In the end, limiting the number of likes should bring a bit more merit to 'likes' in general.

Now, is this huge? Hardly. In the end, it likely won't change much at all to most of us. However, to a new user, it means who may have the best answer and prevents people 'thanking' and 'liking' posts for giggles. It tends to lose its meaning and is simply a button on the forum. It really is something I have seen across many forums, both the diluting of likes/thanks, as well as implementing a limit.

My proposition is to simply put a limit on the number of likes able to give out in a 24 hour period. Perhaps between 15-20 should be plenty for a single day?

This idea started in the 'forum upgrade complete' thread and the point of starting a separate one is to get a fresh start, new, and less toxic (read: people focusing on why I think this way instead of dealing with the actual proposition/concern) opinions. Once that happens, the staff can then determine if it is worth the effort to implement. Initially, I believed this was a simply toggle in XF, but it looks like W1z's skills may be brought in to write something up for it. So there is that as well.

All non-toxic opinions and suggestions are welcome. :)

Last edited:

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
The forum pre-Xenforo used to have a limiting feature that used to take away your Thanks button if you hit it too many times in a certain time period- you had a brief timeout before you got it back. That seemed to work out ok?

Which is exactly what I am talking about. :)

According to a forum member in the other thread, he said he ran into the limit on the old system after a whopping 50-60 likes in a day or whatever. That is too high IMO. As much as I am on here, 50-60 in a day is a crazy number of posts to like 'at once'......... but maybe that is just me... I don't know.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
if policing of likes is going to occur, wouldnt policing of Not likes have to occur as well? meaning, if effort is put into the giving of likes, then the same work must go into the lack of liking a post? IMO, this is a bad idea, its a scab that opens up WAY too many "what if's" when picked.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Theres no " indifferent" option

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Never knew this was an issue in the first place. I can only think it's one of those antispam things.

You have my thanks sir.

if policing of likes is going to occur, wouldnt policing of Not likes have to occur as well? meaning, if effort is put into the giving of likes, then the same work must go into the lack of liking a post? IMO, this is a bad idea, its a scab that opens up WAY too many "what if's" when picked.
If people are getting upset because their post isn't liked their issues run much deeper than this forum. That is not a concern for the forum or staff. :)

EDIT: Also, there isn't a dislike button in the first place so who would know? Someone who tweaks out about that thing I guess (zOMG nobody likezzzzzz muh p0stzzzzz WAAAAAAAAAAAH???) ? See above. :p

Never knew this was an issue in the first place. I can only think it's one of those antispam things.

You have my thanks sir.
It isn't an issue per say. It is a way to bring more value to a feature which is sometimes abused.

Theres no " indifferent" option
I added indifference. Sorry about that.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
'Likes' suck. Period.

I appreciate the technical help people give but all to often likes are used to consolidate a fan base, not to give merit to a piece of technical enlightenment. Frankly, 'likes' are childish and pointless. I preferred the notion of 'thanks' even though it's the same damn thing.

Face it @EarthDog, on a forum like this the button used to generate positive appraisal will always, always be overused by sycophants and loyalists. The generosity of our members must not be overlooked but the pettiness of others is a bane to its usefulness.

I agree with you by the way.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I think I may be of some help here, as I see the reason being alluded to, but not pinpointed exactly. I believe, and I may be wrong, but I think EarthDog is looking at likes as a measure of someones reputation/ability to help. Meaning that if you are one with a ton of likes, since this is a tech forum, the new members would see things as this guy knows his s#*t! Likely to put more weight on said users reply to an issue they were having.

Maybe we should look at it another way.

I have nearly 10K likes, and aside from shiny images of products, old FS threads, and comments made in moderation, (while my memory sucks) I know damn well I did not help half that many people with technical issues.

As I said, I may be way off base here, but I can see both sides of the fence. I like to like peoples things, although with age I have become more selective, but we also had a postwore club at one point, which allowed users to get to like 15-20K messages added to their total in a matter of months. Something like that may skew the "idea" behind the systems intentions.

I appreciate the technical help people give but all to often likes are used to consolidate a fan base, not to give merit to a piece of technical enlightenment...

...Face it @EarthDog, on a forum like this the button used to generate positive appraisal will always, always be overused by sycophants and loyalists. The generosity of our members must not be overlooked buy the pettiness of others is a bane to its usefulness.
I've never had a signature here... I've never been closer than right now :p. (the message at a higher level, not for this specific issue mind you)

I also think its tough because the 'like' meaning is so broad. I think someone else mentioned that in the other thread as well and this makes it it tough on some and easier to hand out. I mean, I truly "like" most posts here, but, they don't deserve a click though to note it. 'Thanks', to me, does make it more clear... but both systems have their drawbacks. I wonder if a 'best answer' would be used in the same nefarious manner? That is something for more technical, like real deep dive forums though? I have seen it on Tom's and such but its likely moderated. Perhaps staff could do that (oh god, I suggested more work for the volunteers... :(), go through their section and approve a best answer in a threads............wow, no so much effort.

Perhaps some of this want to improve it comes from my complete lack of faith in how forums work in general...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
'Likes' suck. Period.

I appreciate the technical help people give but all to often likes are used to consolidate a fan base, not to give merit to a piece of technical enlightenment. Frankly, 'likes' are childish and pointless. I preferred the notion of 'thanks' even though it's the same damn thing.

Face it @EarthDog, on a forum like this the button used to generate positive appraisal will always, always be overused by sycophants and loyalists. The generosity of our members must not be overlooked but the pettiness of others is a bane to its usefulness.

I agree with you by the way.

I use them somewhat to gauge how useful my articles have been.

Possibly one of their few legitimate uses, but I can always go for view count too with a click or two, and that's probably more accurate. :laugh:

I think I may be of some help here, as I see the reason being alluded to, but not pinpointed exactly. I believe, and I may be wrong, but I think EarthDog is looking at likes as a measure of someones reputation/ability to help. Meaning that if you are one with a ton of likes, since this is a tech forum, the new members would see things as this guy knows his s#*t! Likely to put more weight on said users reply to an issue they were having.

Maybe we should look at it another way.

I have nearly 10K likes, and aside from shiny images of products, old FS threads, and comments made in moderation, (while my memory sucks) I know damn well I did not help half that many people with technical issues.

As I said, I may be way off base here, but I can see both sides of the fence. I like to like peoples things, although with age I have become more selective, but we also had a postwore club at one point, which allowed users to get to like 15-20K messages added to their total in a matter of months. Something like that may skew the "idea" behind the systems intentions.
Yes and no. That is a negative byproduct of it though. It doesn't really have any context behind it. For example, you can take news people who put up several articles a week which are seen in the forums, they get likes in the forum for a PR. We thank you for the effort, we do, it's a thankless and painful job at times. They helped by getting news out. Is that not as important as those who help members buy the right parts or fixing a problem? Who knows?! So, number is not anything to go by either. Ratio? Maybe... but there are so many variables it makes my head spin. Its value is really so little, and a limitless use of it can take that down even more, to me... for what little it is all really worth.

I almost feel like.........I saw this before somewhere........................" 'Likes suck. Period." :)

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x
If the person that gets hes likes deserves it, there is not such thing as to many likes.

Just as long a person dosent spam the forum just to get likes or things like that.

With that said so...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I just hope it isn't ocd

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
'Likes' suck. Period.

Yup. You have people Liking an opinion they agree with or helping someone seem more credible because they then expect a return like back. It's the same old circle jerk, echo chamber crap most forums and social media use/run into. I guess if it makes someone feel special because they got extra internet points then whatever...doesn't really hurt anyone. I just try not to care much and state my opinion or advise regardless.

Maybe we keep likes the way they are..but we also add a Problem Solved button..this can only be giving out by the OP with the problem to the person or even people that helped solve their problem.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Maybe we keep likes the way they are..but we also add a Problem Solved button..this can only be giving out by the OP with the problem to the person or even people that helped solve their problem.

I am liking that idea! :toast: I could also see it being abused :( There would need to be a system of checks (IE allow only one per thread) or the OP could flag every post in a thread.

System Name The beast and the little runt.
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X - Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
Cooling Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4a - NH-D15 chromax.black with IPPC Industrial 3000 RPM 120/140 MM fans.
Memory G.SKILL TRIDENT Z ROYAL GOLD/SILVER 32 GB (2 x 16 GB and 4 x 8 GB) 3600 MHz CL14-15-15-35 1.45 volts
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 4060 OC LOW PROFILE - GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB + 2 TB - Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB - 2 x WD RED PRO 16 GB + WD ULTRASTAR 22 TB
Display(s) Asus 27" TUF VG27AQL1A and a Dell 24" for dual setup
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719/LUXE 2 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Onboard on both boards
Power Supply Phanteks Revolt X 1200W
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BITS on both systems
Benchmark Scores Se more about my 2 in 1 system here: kortlink.dk/2ca4x

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I look at it this way, we aren't getting paid to do this here lol.

I wish there was a function to have certain issues resolved that they should be voted for pinning/stickied.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I wish there was a function to have certain issues resolved that they should be voted for pinning/stickied.

Could you elaborate? Usually if there are like 3 or more posts mentioning it should get a sticky, we oblige with said requests.

Only the OP should be able to select a problem solved. Otherwise its a 'best answer' scenario as described above. How would that be moderated? By people who half know what is going on, another third that doesn't and a couple that may actually know? SLippery slope to leave it in anyone but the OP's hands. ;)

EDIT: Only one 'best answer' allowed by the OP, no abuse if there are LIMITS. :p

RE: stickies... don't leave those in users' hands in a voting capacity. They should be vetted by staff before being allowed as a sticky. :)

Last edited:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
people are getting upset because their post isn't liked their issues run much deeper than this forum. That is not a concern for the forum or staff. :)

The exact same thing can be said about posts that get liked. It doesn't matter. it's kind of like debating about why Bananas are yellow, its moot outside of some fruit related forum. I can understand removing the function ,but anything other than leaving it alone ,or removing it ,is pointless in my opinion, & a waste of resources. As you said ,it's not the business of the staff to worry about whether a person's post was not liked, the same goes for if it was liked...this isnt facebook.

Why not remove the like function, and for every 1000 likes recieved in the past, give some type of useful, or helpdfulness rating then? Otherwise just leave it be.

Well, the staff put the like in there... its their responsibility to maintain the site and make changes and improvements as seen fit. That isn't 'feelings'. Its site maintenance if a tool is working as intended or to a detriment of its users.

I'm fine with removing it as well, honestly. It does so little in its current form... might as well. I am trying to bring a bit more value to the existing feature.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Could you elaborate? Usually if there are like 3 or more posts mentioning it should get a sticky, we oblige with said requests.

Maybe a button for ones that were very difficult to fix and once the fix was discovered and resolution posted it could be requested to be pinned/stickied by vote.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
They should be vetted by staff before being allowed as a sticky. :)

Usually is to some extent. They tend to get reported for confirmation, and then stickied. Some not.

@eidairaman1 I see where you are going with it now, but sadly i am not a huge proponent of stickied threads. I am from the school of it it is awesome, sure, but it has to be widely helpful beyond something not so amazing. Otherwise we have 1-3 pages of stickies before you see the new posts for help in each section.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Which is exactly what I am talking about. :)

According to a forum member in the other thread, he said he ran into the limit on the old system after a whopping 50-60 likes in a day or whatever. That is too high IMO. As much as I am on here, 50-60 in a day is a crazy number of posts to like 'at once'......... but maybe that is just me... I don't know.
That was was me in a one-off and was a very rare circumstance on the old vB software where I had to thank a whole bunch of consecutive posts. It's ok, you can name check me on this one. :p

Anyway, thrown my tuppence in for not limiting the Likes, here. If a post deserves a Like, then it should be possible to give it regardless of how many have already been given. One really shouldn't have to worry about running out of some arbitrary quota when there's some Likes to give out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.