• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aerocool Klaw

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Aerocool Klaw offers both cool and menacing looks through an edgy design, which is geared perfectly at the budget minded gamer having a price tag of just around US$70. With its glass panels, you can easily show off all your hardware, while the nicely embedded, addressable RGBs are sure to make everything pop.

Show full review

Last edited:
System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
I see this in more reviews lately, "i7-8600K" o_O

Capture.PNG

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
What an absolutely terrible name.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Ugly case, with very inefficient airflow as it has both perforated steel holes on the inside, and the solid front bezel out the outside. I miss the days of having a high airflow mesh or louvered front bezel instead of a wall with side vents. Yes, it intakes from the sides of the bezel, in a most inefficient way. Not to mention you need another inch of bezel space in front of the interior chassis.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
actually it's a little bit refreshing but yeah the steel looks like tin can

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Ugly case, with very inefficient airflow as it has both perforated steel holes on the inside, and the solid front bezel out the outside. I miss the days of having a high airflow mesh or louvered front bezel instead of a wall with side vents. Yes, it intakes from the sides of the bezel, in a most inefficient way. Not to mention you need another inch of bezel space in front of the interior chassis.

If you have a dremel, you could mod the case and slap on a demcifilter. Though you shouldnt need to do that unless you were doing a serious modding project. There are so many PC cases in the world to choose from.

Sure would be nice to see a PERFORMANCE section in there @Darksaber

You know, just so we can get something useful out of your reviews.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190721-232224.png
    Screenshot_20190721-232224.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 156
There isn't one in the article for the standard website either. What would a "Performance" section add that isn't already stated?

What is relevant is that an ambient temperature of 21-25 degrees is common for an air conditioned house, and that case ambient is often approaching 30 degrees even on good cases, so a 55-degree load temperature is achievable primarily with high-end cooling solutions and well-ventilated cases. It’s achievable, but this is the end of our common real-world scenarios, whereas the 78-84 range would better represent a stock cooler load conditions with a warm case, though note we’re not actually showing stock cooler performance here. That’s a different piece.

View attachment 127461
Interesting. GN goes into ridiculous amounts of detail, sometimes unneeded amounts. In the context of the case in this review, I think it's very clear that this case has enough cooler venting to be effective and perform well.

Interesting. GN goes into ridiculous amounts of detail, sometimes unneeded amounts. In the context of the case in this review, I think it's very clear that this case has enough cooler venting to be effective and perform well.

Except you can't presume that, because GN often reviews cases that look as if they would perform far better than they actually do, but perform poorly or much worse than expected because of non-obvious flaws in their thermal design.

Of course, we wouldn't *have* to presume that if darksaber were to bother actually testing the product in any way whatsoever beyond the "Does my hardware actually fit into it" test that no case manufacturer has failed in the last 15 years.

Except you can't presume that, because GN often reviews cases that look as if they would perform far better than they actually do, but perform poorly or much worse than expected because of non-obvious flaws in their thermal design.

Of course, we wouldn't *have* to presume that if darksaber were to bother actually testing the product in any way whatsoever beyond the "Does my hardware actually fit into it" test that no case manufacturer has failed in the last 15 years.
I think you're being a bit over critical. No one is going to use such a case for extreme overclocking. Therefore as long as the case has solid ventilation, which it clearly does, cooling will not be a problem as airflow will not be a limiting factor.

I think you're being a bit over critical. No one is going to use such a case for extreme overclocking. Therefore as long as the case has solid ventilation, which it clearly does, cooling will not be a problem as airflow will not be a limiting factor.
And I think you're demonstrating an ability to not read. You don't need to overclock *at all* to see a performance uplift with better ventilation with ryzen 3000. The CPU, stock, will exhibit better behaviour in a well ventilated case versus a mediocre or poorly ventilated case. I linked you an entire article that explained exactly that. I then showed you test results that proved the point further that the performance uplift in question would be made or broken by a user's choice of case.

Additionally, a point made for YEARS by GN is that better thermal performance means less noise, and that's reason enough to test both of those things properly instead of phoning in the same inadequate review for 15 years.

Sadly, like with every other argument you place yourself in, I am quite sure you will continue on with this farcical charade until everyone gets bored with you and then, like a pigeon on a chessboard, you shall strut around as if you attained victory despite an evident inability to engage with the point.

And I think you're demonstrating an ability to not read.
I think you're demonstrating an inability to understand context. But I digress...
Sadly, like with every other argument you place yourself in, I am quite sure you will continue on with this farcical charade until everyone gets bored with you and then, like a pigeon on a chessboard, you shall strut around as if you attained victory despite an evident inability to engage with the point.
Oh, you've resorted to insults. How delightful.

You are criticizing the reviewer of this case for not conducting/including thermal performance tests. The failure here is with you, not in the reviewers methodology.

You are criticizing the reviewer of this case for not conducting/including thermal performance tests. The failure here is with you, not in the reviewers methodology.
I'm not sure there is any methodology, as it can hardly be called a review. The point of an actual review is to conduct empirical tests on how a product performs, i.e. how well it does its job. For a computer case that includes airflow and cooling, and possibly noise. When a "review" tells you nothing more than what you can find on the manufacturer's website and/or by doing an image search in Google, then it isn't a review.

That is a problem in and of itself. On top of that we have seen praises and recommendations for products that have been proven to be objectively bad. I'm sure you will disagree (for obvious reasons) but such behavior is for all intents and purposes "shilling", and is in quite high contrast to the CPU and GPU reviews.

Can you imagine a GPU review with no gaming benchmarks and no measurements for thermals, noise, or power consumption? Can you imagine if W1zzard simply stated: "yeah, games seem to run very well. best gpu evah!"?

I remember a time when tech review sites would review heatsinks without recording room ambient. I remember a time when fan reviews didn't use decibel meters and the phrase "They're very quiet, all I heard was a gentle whooshing of air" constituted glowing approval for a fan's noise level. I remember a time when GPU reviews didn't include noise measurements either, beyond a subjective judgement. Hell, I remember when nobody cared how loud their rig was except the lunatics over at SPCR!

But the fact is, Antec released the original P180 in 2006. Every major case manufacturer makes silence focused models and refers to this in their marketing. be quiet! named their company after the single performance metric they insisted was most important.

At the same time (2006), companies like Antec and Silverstone with the Antec 900 and the RV01 redefined expectations of case performance in an entirely opposite market segment, by focusing on cooling at all costs - a common complaint at the time being that regular cases like the Xaser V, which was highly reviewed in 2004, simply didn't offer the cooling capability super hot hardware like the Pentium 4 and the 8800GTX demanded in order to run safely at a time when thermal protection was not a given in PC hardware.

We're 13 years on. Case manufacturers have been touting the coolness and quietness of their cases for over a decade, and yet reviewers seem reluctant to put these claims under even the most basic possible scrutiny.

It is not asking too much to suggest that times have changed for cases just like they changed for CPUs and GPUs.

For CPUs since 2004 we've seen a change whereby outright speed is no longer the only measure of a CPU - we now care about about power consumption, IPC, thermals, overclockability, etc. Not only that but we go into detail in architectural analyses on regular, consumer-facing websites like TPU and Anandtech, about how and why new CPU designs achieve what they achieve.

For GPUs we've seen a similar shift - We no longer focus so hard on features and raw framerate, but on power consumption, thermals, noise, the degree to which a GPU favours a certain graphics API or Engine, driver stability, and we've taken VRM analysis to the point where if a review doesn't have it, that review is garbage written by someone who knows nothing about GPUs.

For cases, it seems as though consumers and manufacturers alike have moved from a focus on solely ease of installation, to also thermals, noise, aesthetics, cable management, and even ease of maintenance and dust filtration - but for some reason the reviews Darksaber and most other sites put out are essentially identical to the reviews Tweaktown was putting out in 2004 for the aforementioned Xaser V.

It isn't too much to ask that TPU of all places, get it together and make their case reviews do as good a job of informing consumers as their GPU and CPU reviews do.

As further comment by the way, this is what 2009 era fan reviews were like compared to the several screens long page full of charts, graphs and testing that VSG provides.

No deltas, no record of room ambient, no noise measurements, no understanding of static pressure compared to cfm, etc. This was the norm for fan reviews in the mid to late 00's. We've come a long way for fans. Why not for cases?

Last edited: