• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

After a Windows 10 Update Today Overclocking is lost. WTF Microsoft and Intel???

Sawyer86

Read the thread. It's only 9 pages. The answer's in there. Hell...the answer's 3 posts above yours actually. The dll you need is towards the beginning. Page 2 or 3 IIRC...

Edit: Yep. Page 2. This post here.

Hi, i already read, but i was not sure that it would work correctly on 1809 version.
What this solution do exactely? I stay with 1809 (and all the future update) ?
Or with this old dll i return to 1803?
I'm disconcerted that microsoft doesn't solve in official way.
tnx

It now seems that replacing the dll from version 1803 does not work on the released 1809 Windows 10 update.

Doing so will break your Windows install. Don't do it.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
The new 1809 update borks it :(
I tried it with the new build and replacing the dll just screws up the whole boot with no boot at all. I had to replace it with the original 1809 update again to get windows started again.

Good to know. So all X99 with Broadwell-E users should block 1809 until Microsoft or Intel get their shit straightened up

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Good to know. So all X99 with Broadwell-E users should block 1809 until Microsoft or Intel get their shit straightened up

Nope, just those with crap BIOSes. updated last night, still clocking fine.

System Name Polar Claw
Processor Intel Core i7 6950X 3.0@4.2GHz
Motherboard MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition (socket 2011v3), BIOS N.A2
Cooling Phanteks PH TC-14PE Black CPU Cooler
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 Kingston HyperX Savage 2666 @2400MHz CL13-15-15-39-2T 1.35v.
Video Card(s) MSI RTX GeForce 2080Ti Duke OCV1 11GB & Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080Ti Gaming OC X3 11GB NVlink-SLi
Storage SSD: Intel 120GB, Kingston 240GB, Kingston 64GB. HDD: Samsung 640GB, Seagate 750GB
Display(s) Acer XF270HUA 27" TFT IPS, 2560x1440@144Hz 4ms
Case Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1500w PSU
Mouse Logitech G9x mouse
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark Port Royal 1.1 Score 18'120 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/164030
Nope, just those with crap BIOSes. updated last night, still clocking fine.

How do you differentiate between boards with crap BIOS and those not? I've seen EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI X99 users with latest and even beta BIOS' where the issue persists.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
How do you differentiate between boards with crap BIOS and those not? I've seen EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI X99 users with latest and even beta BIOS' where the issue persists.
I know. Sad state of affairs, this one. One user posted a page or two back that using high performance power plan restored his OC, and I always run that power plan, so... only hope for those with issues is to try that and see if it works. If it doesn't... then it seems the board is the culprit. Something in the new microcode isn't interfacing with the BIOS clock controls it seems.

Well...I'm a bit surprised at this turn of events. BUT...all hope is not lost...just yet. As it seems as though I may have just pulled another proverbial rabbit out of my hat. Which might just do the trick. What's that you ask? Just delete the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll. Sounds crazy right? How would that possibly work? Because, as I previously mentioned, there's a useable CPU microcode that's also in the motherboard BIOS. So if there's no file for Windows to override it with, it(the CPU) will just use that microcode instead.

Anyhow. I just tried it with Windows 7 and it worked just fine. Booted right up without the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll no problem. Pic for proof provided. Notice that mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll is not shown just below mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll as it normally would be. That's no trickery either. It's not there because it's no longer in the system(System32 folder or elsewhere). ;)
mcupdate delete.PNG

Is this problem related to the KB via WU only ?

Does Intel / MoBo Vendor offer the same fix thru their web site ... and, if so, does smme problem result ?

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Well...I'm a bit surprised at this turn of events. BUT...all hope is not lost...just yet. As it seems as though I may have just pulled another proverbial rabbit out of my hat. Which might just do the trick. What's that you ask? Just delete the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll. Sounds crazy right? How would that possibly work? Because, as I previously mentioned, there's a useable CPU microcode that's also in the motherboard BIOS. So if there's no file for Windows to override it with, it(the CPU) will just use that microcode instead.

Anyhow. I just tried it with Windows 7 and it worked just fine. Booted right up without the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll no problem. Pic for proof provided. Notice that mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll is not shown just below mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll as it normally would be. That's no trickery either. It's not there because it's no longer in the system(System32 folder or elsewhere). ;)
View attachment 107989

Now we need a brave soul to try this on 1809

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Has anyone tried overriding the MC the proper way, like with this VMWare driver?

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vmware-cpu-microcode-update-driver#summary

I can cook up a package if someone can name an unaffected microcode revision.

EDIT: Here one is, if someone is up to trusting a random internet frog. Extract somewhere you can keep it permanently, and run install.bat as administrator. DO THIS ONLY ON A BW-E NON-XEON BASED SYSTEM, OR YOU MAY HAVE A VERY TOUGH BSOD TO GET OUT OF.

Heck, you may anways. Needless to say, very experimental.

Attachments

• BWEmcFIX_r1.zip
    232.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
I wasn't even aware of that idea. What I've been trying to figure out is how to mod a .dll file. I figured out how to extract the contents with 7-zip. But I have no idea what needs done with them. I'm hoping it's something easy like swapping out some bits and pieces from an older .dll. There's a text file in there that says what OS version it's for. Maybe you can just change that info to say it's for 1809. Then figure out how to "unextract" it, or compile it, or compress it, or whatever it...I'm not a software guy...back into a .dll. I tried modding it without extracting the guts and that's a no go. So basically the getting it back to a .dll is all that's got me stumped really. If I can just figure that much out I can start doing some kind of modding to it.
Now we need a brave soul to try this on 1809
I'm getting ready to. I'm too curious to wait for my new motherboard. I'm just gonna do a quick clean install on one of my backup drives. Should have it done in a couple hours.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I wasn't even aware of that idea. What I've been trying to figure out is how to mod a .dll file. I figured out how to extract the contents with 7-zip. But I have no idea what needs done with them. I'm hoping it's something easy like swapping out some bits and pieces from an older .dll. There's a text file in there that says what OS version it's for. Maybe you can just change that info to say it's for 1809. Then figure out how to "unextract" it, or compile it, or compress it, or whatever it...I'm not a software guy...back into a .dll. I tried modding it without extracting the guts and that's a no go. So basically the getting it back to a .dll is all that's got me stumped really. If I can just figure that much out I can start doing some kind of modding to it.
I'm getting ready to. I'm too curious to wait for my new motherboard. I'm just gonna do a quick clean install on one of my backup drives. Should have it done in a couple hours.

Try my package. What is the worst a frog can do to your computer? :p

EDIT: Actually, it could be install wrecking. So despite my eagerness, best be cautious. I'm especially unsure how it will function if Windows looks for a new spectre protection function that is not there.

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Has anyone tried overriding the MC the proper way, like with this VMWare driver?

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vmware-cpu-microcode-update-driver#summary

I can cook up a package if someone can name an unaffected microcode revision.

EDIT: Here one is, if someone is up to trusting a random internet frog. Extract somewhere you can keep it permanently, and run install.bat as administrator. DO THIS ONLY ON A BW-E NON-XEON BASED SYSTEM, OR YOU MAY HAVE A VERY TOUGH BSOD TO GET OUT OF.

Heck, you may anways. Needless to say, very experimental.
Hey Frog lol, I liked that comment, forgive me but im tired, had a long week and don't feel like reading pages of pages. What is this thing you concocted? :oops:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Hey Frog lol, I liked that comment, forgive me but im tired, had a long week and don't feel like reading pages of pages. What is this thing you concocted? :oops:

Might fix ocing issues on BWe x99 boards w/ latest W10 patches (It loads an older broadwell-e microcode firmware after boot, every boot). If you have issues, it's worth a try, but it has the potential to bsod loop, so best be prepared for a reinstall or system-restore in that event.

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Might fix ocing issues on BWe x99 boards w/ latest W10 patches (It loads an older broadwell-e microcode firmware after boot, every boot). If you have issues, it's worth a try, but it has the potential to bsod loop, so best be prepared for a reinstall or system-restore in that event.
Done and done, I checked the link and checked it out.. Will let you know if shat happens.. Thanks R-T-B :peace:

Try my package. What is the worst a frog can do to your computer? :p

EDIT: Actually, it could be install wrecking. So despite my eagerness, best be cautious. I'm especially unsure how it will function if Windows looks for a new spectre protection function that is not there.
Well it can't be any worse than it already is. Holy crap what a shitfest nightmare!! Did the clean install of 1809...and WOW...WHAT A POS!!! BSOD after BSOD, lockup after lockup. Goddamn thing doesn't barely work at all on my system. I thought maybe it's that fricken .dll. Got that deleted, which works so far as I can tell. By which I mean it booted without it. But it didn't make any difference as far as the massive instability. So no, it ain't that. Then I spent the last half hour just trying to get a proof screenshot with the snipping tool. Just kept freezing up on me to the point that I had to hit the reset button. Finally gave up and grabbed my phone for a pic.

20181003_211545.jpg

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
And this is what they're releasing to the masses? :shadedshu: 1809 crashes/BSOD/other issues seem far too common.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
And this is what they're releasing to the masses? :shadedshu: 1809 crashes/BSOD/other issues seem far too common.
Not here, it actually went fine and fast, boot time is way faster but I have a question for @R-T-B I see 1809 snuck in the specter patch, any way to remove it?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Not here, it actually went fine and fast, boot time is way faster but I have a question for @R-T-B I see 1809 snuck in the specter patch, any way to remove it?

I would just opt out via a tool like InSpectre. Otherwise, you'd have to revert to very old microcode. It's possible using my tool above, with a diferent microcode dat, but I personally don't see it as recomendable, so won't do it (at least not as a public release for free at any rate).

...Or maybe I will. Dunno. Ask me later. No time right now, is the honest truth. Just finished my 1809 deployment which went smooth but it's late here. :laugh:

quimsy

ok am running 1809 on an i7-6800K, the baked-in microcode breaks my overclock. Swapping out the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll for an older pre KB4100347 version fixes the overclock on reboot. SFC /verifyonly will now show the replaced mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file as corrupt but is not repaired in verify mode. Be prepared to replace the file again if a full sfc /scannow is run. As mentioned u must take ownership of the file first before editing. I renamed the 1809 version to .old in case needed.
Until a permanent solution is found I'd recommend checking ur OC's after every Windows Update.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
@MrGenius i have a friend doing some microcode modified BIOS for me. Only for ASUS Motherboards though. @R-T-B examined one and it seems fine by him. If you are interested let me know if you dare to give this a try. I just need your ASUS X99 model for my friend to mod the BIOS

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
ok am running 1809 on an i7-6800K, the baked-in microcode breaks my overclock. Swapping out the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll for an older pre KB4100347 version fixes the overclock on reboot. SFC /verifyonly will now show the replaced mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file as corrupt but is not repaired in verify mode. Be prepared to replace the file again if a full sfc /scannow is run. As mentioned u must take ownership of the file first before editing. I renamed the 1809 version to .old in case needed.
Until a permanent solution is found I'd recommend checking ur OC's after every Windows Update.

I thought that bsod'd?

Guess not. Still, my way is technically the right way to do things (and will work with sfc) if anyone is willing to risk a test...

Ok. So here's a little update on my sitiation. 1809 is suddenly working almost perfectly for me today(only froze up once so far). So I decided to do some more experimenting. I ran sfc /scannow so the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll got reinstalled. Then I checked with InSpectre to see if it was working as it should. It indicated "System is Spectre protected: YES". It says "NO!" without the updated .dll. As you'll soon see. Then I wanted to confirm for myself whether or not replacing the .dll with the one from 4-11-18 actually does work. Due to the conflicting reports. Some are saying it does work, others are saying it doesn't. Come to find out it does work...on my system anyway. I'm currently running on my backup Z77 based system(Z77A-GD65 Gaming + i5 3570K). Since I just killed my Z77 MPower(but I've got a new one on the way).

Anyway. To summarize, my options as far as running without the Spectre microcode update(in the form of the latest mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll) on Windows 10 Version 1809, are to either delete the .dll or replace it with the one from 4-11-18. Either way appears to work just fine...for me at least.

One more pic for proof. Notice InSpectre says "System is Spectre protected: NO!" and the "Enable Spectre Protection" button is greyed out(not useable). That's because I've replaced the .dll with the older, non-Spectre microcode updated, version. It's dated as having been modified today(I guess because that's when I saved it to the USB drive I used to install it). But in the Properties > Details window you can clearly see it's for version 17134.1(not 17763.1).

mcupdate 17134.1.PNG

Last edited:
System Name Polar Claw
Processor Intel Core i7 6950X 3.0@4.2GHz
Motherboard MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition (socket 2011v3), BIOS N.A2
Cooling Phanteks PH TC-14PE Black CPU Cooler
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 Kingston HyperX Savage 2666 @2400MHz CL13-15-15-39-2T 1.35v.
Video Card(s) MSI RTX GeForce 2080Ti Duke OCV1 11GB & Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080Ti Gaming OC X3 11GB NVlink-SLi
Storage SSD: Intel 120GB, Kingston 240GB, Kingston 64GB. HDD: Samsung 640GB, Seagate 750GB
Display(s) Acer XF270HUA 27" TFT IPS, 2560x1440@144Hz 4ms
Case Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1500w PSU
Mouse Logitech G9x mouse
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark Port Royal 1.1 Score 18'120 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/164030
Ok. So here's a little update on my sitiation. 1809 is suddenly working almost perfectly for me today(only froze up once so far). So I decided to do some more experimenting. I ran sfc /scannow so the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll got reinstalled. Then I checked with InSpectre to see if it was working as it should. It indicated "System is Spectre protected: YES". It says "NO!" without the updated .dll. As you'll soon see. Then I wanted to confirm for myself whether or not replacing the .dll with the one from 4-11-18 actually does work. Due to the conflicting reports. Some are saying it does work, other are saying it doesn't. Come to find out it does work...on my system anyway. I'm currently running on my backup Z77 based system(Z77A-GD65 Gaming + i5 3570K). Since I just killed my Z77 MPower(but I've got a new one on the way).

Anyway. To summarize, my options as far as running without the Spectre microcode update(in the form of the latest mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll) are to either delete the .dll or replace it with the one from 4-11-18. Either way appears to work just fine...for me at least.

One more pic for proof. Notice InSpectre says "System is Spectre protected: NO!" and the "Enable Spectre Protection" button is greyed out(not useable). That's because I've replaced the .dll with the older, non-Spectre microcode updated, version. It's dated as having been modified today(I guess because that's when I saved it to the USB drive I used to install it). But in the Properties > Details window you can see it's for version 17134.1(not 17763.1).

View attachment 108035

Are you sure the same will apply to X99 platforms with Broadwell-E CPUs, since they are the configurations to be mostly affected by the KB4100347 update and the Windows 10 1809 October build.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Installed the October update yesterday and still everything is like always.

People have said that they have problems with BW-E AND HW-E processors, but I have no problems.