• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

After Kaspersky's Shots Across the Bow, Microsoft Reacts

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender were born out of the need to fight viruses that can prevent the successful installation of Windows and later, Windows security updates. The research they had to do there lead to branching off to a basic system to counter malicious software that security updates can't fix. The only thing one really can fault Windows Defender for is not being as intrusive, meticulous, and heavy handed as the third party solutions. Microsoft basically delivered what most people wanted. Popularity of third party antivirus programs therefore plummeted.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender were born out of the need to fight viruses that can prevent the successful installation of Windows and later, Windows security updates. The research they had to do there lead to branching off to a basic system to counter malicious software that security updates can't fix. The only thing one really can fault Windows Defender for is not being as intrusive, meticulous, and heavy handed as the third party solutions. Microsoft basically delivered what most people wanted. Popularity of third party antivirus programs therefore plummeted.
I agree, m$ did an ok job on not being intrusive with WinDef, but they have plenty of other products that are, they had to cave on something... eventually. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I would like to disable Window Defender from continuously re-adding its notification(MSASCui.exe) to HKLM/Run, just goes to show how much m$ loves to be intrusive in one way or another. :shadedshu:

It working, being simple to use, using very little memory and resources, and letting me uninstall it when I feel like it. These are all thinks Kaspersky struggled to provide when I was using a log time ago. I hope things have gotten better, but I don't care about going back to check. I just tossed it in the pile of software I have quality working replacements for like Firefox, MS Office, Nero, and a few others.
dont mean to necro, but i didnt login for a few months

so basically you blacklist entire software FOR LIFE based on a bad experience at one point in time? shouldnt this mean no more windows if you used it at the start of vista, no more amd if you used their cards/drivers in 2011, ignoring how good ryzen is based on how bad amd was last few years, no more modern linux based on how messy & uncompatible it was a few years ago, the list goes on

you could at least take a look eventually if some software is claiming to have changed, or has users reporting that it has, or if there's a large enough userbase

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
dont mean to necro, but i didnt login for a few months

so basically you blacklist entire software FOR LIFE based on a bad experience at one point in time? shouldnt this mean no more windows if you used it at the start of vista, no more amd if you used their cards/drivers in 2011, ignoring how good ryzen is based on how bad amd was last few years, no more modern linux based on how messy & uncompatible it was a few years ago, the list goes on

you could at least take a look eventually if some software is claiming to have changed, or has users reporting that it has, or if there's a large enough userbase

Hardware is not software. I do have a Ryzen 1800X and no I don't use any of AMD's current software offerings. I never used Vista because I knew to avoid it. I have never had an issue with an Linux distro I couldn't fix in 15 minutes and a web search. So I hope that helps you someone because I still have no reason to check any software I have dropped in the past.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
m$ could try and make(sell) Security software, but I they seriously doubt have the ability to be competitive and still have personnel left over to cater to their enterprise customers. Nope, its just basic, bottom of the line, barebones type effort put in its security software to placate the consumer, knowing full well the majority of m$ consumers will go with 3rd party security. If it takes a 3rd party to get m$ to react to fix something, maybe there is a bigger issue inside the m$ bedchambers.

For all this to work, people have to put egos aside and actually work better together, there seems to be too much "my way or the highway" developers there.

I haven't once thought of going third party since they integrated this. Not sure how the market is now though. There was a lot of bloated software last I checked (Norton, McAfee). If it's still like that, good riddance.

edit: lol.. damnit.. old thread.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
I haven't once thought of going third party since they integrated this. Not sure how the market is now though. There was a lot of bloated software last I checked (Norton, McAfee). If it's still like that, good riddance.

edit: lol.. damnit.. old thread.

It has gotten worse, with AV vendors now buying snake-oil software (Tuneup -> AVG, CCleaner ->Avast) left and right.
Ironically, these bloatware seem to be LESS secure now they are owned by security vendors. :rolleyes:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
It has gotten worse, with AV vendors now buying snake-oil software (Tuneup -> AVG, CCleaner ->Avast) left and right.
Ironically, these bloatware seem to be LESS secure now they are owned by security vendors. :rolleyes:
How is that? CCleaner was bought at about the time the security breach happened. As soon as it was discovered it was announced. It literally had nothing to do with Avast's purchase of the company. In a month after acquisition, merged companies still operate independently most of the time. Culture, software, procedures of parent company always take awhile to be adopted.

How is that? CCleaner was bought at about the time the security breach happened. As soon as it was discovered it was announced. It literally had nothing to do with Avast's purchase of the company. In a month after acquisition, merged companies still operate independently most of the time. Culture, software, procedures of parent company always take awhile to be adopted.

Which is why I started with "ironically." But yes, my sentence seems to imply more causation than I intended; I stand corrected.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Which is why I started with "ironically." But yes, my sentence seems to imply more causation than I intended; I stand corrected.
Why stand when you can sit? implying that software is snake-oil isnt right, someone else might swear by it, that it works flawlessly for them. CCleaner does have its good points even if it did delete every single save from my Steam games.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Why stand when you can sit? implying that software is snake-oil isnt right, someone else might swear by it, that it works flawlessly for them. CCleaner does have its good points even if it did delete every single save from my Steam games.

I know many who swear that some random fruit or what's not cures cancer, but I personally wouldn't be changing my diet to it because someone else thinks it works. Placebo's well known to attach beneficial labels to things that isn't. And while I might admit the existence of some remote case scenarios in which CCleaner does have benefits, in general it is nothing but half redundancies (uninstaller, startup modifier component, etc) and the rest is most of the time "snake oil" (registry cleaner component, disk cleaner, etc).

I agree, m$ did an ok job on not being intrusive with WinDef, but they have plenty of other products that are, they had to cave on something... eventually. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I would like to disable Window Defender from continuously re-adding its notification(MSASCui.exe) to HKLM/Run, just goes to show how much m$ loves to be intrusive in one way or another. :shadedshu:
Windows Defender started out being a great addition but MS screwed it up in so many ways. As a default, it is deleted from every installation of Windows I do, along with Internet Explorer[been doing that since Windows 98] and Edge.