1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ahhh!! Cap Fell Off Gfx

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Mediocre, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, well, it didn't just 'fall' off, apparently it got caught around a sata cable and ripped off the video card.

I know its a cap, I think its 100uF, but am not sure. I can post a pic, but not sure what that will do. Its the very bottom right cap on a 7800GT.

The cap is marked:

BH
    ETZ

others on the card (same size) are marked:
    BN
    CTZ

I got it soldered back on, but I think it was grounded to the cap's case cuz it still wouldn't boot. It also won't boot without it. But the cap is BROKEN now...should have soldered 'frog hairs' onto it instead of trying to solder a surface mount component

Anyone know what replacement cap I should buy from radio shack??

I'm quite pissed right now, my new P35 mobo is REALLY pissing me off.
    The IDE channel is @ the bottom of the board, my cable won't reach to my drives

The 3/4 pin fans I bought don't have 'pass through' connectors, so now I have to dig out a couple of splitters to power the 5 freakin fans

The board only support a 2 drive raid. And you HAVE to use the E-SATA port on the back, and a port in the middle of the board...i mean WTF who would RAID an external HDD?

I guess I'll have 3 brand new 80gb sata300 drives to help pay for this vid card. oooo i'm sooo pissed.....and wth is my mushkin 580? I gotta get some sleep. I check back in the morning

THANKS IN ADVANCE, THIS COMMUNITY ROX

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    found my answers, 5-8v low esr, dsl, and loss, 100uf.

I hope it fixes it. Luckily the board has through hole mounts where the cap USED to sit. So I'l try and find a through hole at the shack tomorrow. I'll update then.

Wish that mushkin was here, but whats another disassembly when I've done it 5x's in 3 weeks...

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, thats right BTW esr means "Equvilant Series Resistance". Look for the three letter acronym with the brand name on the cap like KZG or MCZ and make sure you match it when buying new part. Or look it up to find the specs and match them.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    man that sucks....

I dont have any advice, sorry.

5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't believe you...LOL :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got it back on, but it didn't change anything. I guess dropping $3-5 on a new cap FIRST is better than running out for a gts640...

I'll bring the cap with me to radioshack, but I doubt they will carry same MFG, and I WILL have this system up by the end of the weekend, even without the RAID 0...

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    eh, you could use that as your excuse to by the GTS ;)

8. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    was hoping to wait for the price drop near the holidays...

Hey do you know how LONG the card is? The reason the 7800 shit the bed is it rests right against one of my SATA drives...I believe the 7800 is ~8.25"...

I was soooooo frustrated about an hour ago...didn't think I could calm down enough to get to bed, but I feel better. Just gotta find a cap (or gfx) and a 3ft IDE cable...

BTW best buy ROX, I did this when I built this over the winter...bought the 7800 via ebay and had to wait a week. So I went to best buy, bought a 7900gs, and returned it when the 7800 arrived. No restocking fee, no hassle, just brought it back with the receipt. Took 5 mins tops...

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    Funny.. I got a infraction in trt's thread because I made a joke.... I guess he didnt like it

Anyhow, I know the question was answered in there. Let me find the thread

10. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look carefully you may have broken just ONE leg off another cap or something(try and wiggle them with your finger).

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, quite a few 'wiggle', just not a whole heck of a lot....I'm looking at it right now...I don't think any of the others are busted, but when I get the new one if it DOESN'T boot, I'll try and press on some of the caps and see if it boots....

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    Crap, sorry... that was for a GTX not a GTS

The GTX is 11", but it is a lot longer than the GTS.

I will see what I can find

EDIT : 8.75 inches

13. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think its 9.5" which unfortunately maybe too long...(found 24cm on google....)

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just woke up the wife (oops)...If I dump a hdd it will fit. I have 12" from the card edges to the edge of the drive bay. I can't even do a 2 drive RAID so I'll probably dump a drive. I see it as: C: - Windows, D: - Games/Backup, E: - 80gb pr0n LOL yippie

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received: