• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AirLive WMU-6500FS WiFi HDD & Downloader

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The OvisLink powered AirLive WiFi enclosure may look just like a normal NAS storage device, but it has a lot more to offer than that. The well constructed and easy to use web interface can convert the enclosure to an iTunes server, can handle your FTP, HTTP and even BitTorrent downloads - straight to the internal IDE or SATA hard drive.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Is there a place to plug in the 40mm fan on the PCB, or do you have to use the molex connector provided for the hard drive for the fan too?

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Is there a place to plug in the 40mm fan on the PCB, or do you have to use the molex connector provided for the hard drive for the fan too?

The power cable can be unplugged from the PCB, so you could just replace it with one with two molex connectors and connect a fan that way.

cheers
DS

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
i saw asus's version of this and think its a great idea, i hate leaving one of my pc's on all the time running bittorrent, looks like it could be worth waiting for the technology to mature some more yet though (cooler running, and some kind of intergration with a bt client

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
It should be mentioned that "Turbo-G" is not a standard. It is based on IEEE 801.11g which usually runs at 54MB/s maximum. To achieve such a speed, you usually need all other devices in your network to be of the same manufacturer using the same proprietary standard. This includes WiFi USB sticks, PCI cards and routers. The chip on the miniPCI WLAN card is the RaLink RT3651ST, which is an 801.11g chip.
Think I spotted a typo. Isn't the wireless standard 802.11g, not 801.11g?

Good review, btw.

Last edited:

Dr_D_Doom

where does one buy this amazing piece of awesomeness?

Maybe Power Up will sell me their used one ;P

KrisW

Very good review, but can you tell me guys, where I can buy this product. I've searched the net, but none of the e-shops doesn't sell it.

do you know any links to shops? Please help, I've just need to have it :)

KrisW

Thx Doom, I've just bought it. Page is only in Germen, so you need to know a bit of German to buy it :)
I can't wait to receive the parcel.

KrisW

I've setup the Airlive, but there is one major problem - download assistant doesn't work in bit torrent. I mean, when I want to upload a link there is "page cannot be found", the status option is not working either. I've upgraded the firmware, but nothing happend, still can't upload the links for torents. Do you know how to fix it?

xty

I got it one month ago but still sitting there on my desk with a brand new 500 GB SATA HD.
I was about to throw away this box for some issues (useless manual, configuring wireless network was not easy, limited file systems support, useless disk utility, and lack of support from AirLive) ....until I saw this review.

I saw "ntfs" in one of the picture above. Are you sure that it support NTFS? Because the manual doesn't say anything about it. If yes, THAT IS REALLY COOL AND THAT'S WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!!! :respect:

I haven't tried myself to make partitions out of the box. I thought I could use the built-in Disk Utility / FDISK. But NOOOO!!! It supports (also according to manual) only EXT2 file system and FAT32 (which until now I don't know how to use that piece-of-junk mkdosfs.exe downloaded from the site. I assume to run into the box's DOS/command line mode somehow, but how???). Tried asking the support, but no help :mad:

Maybe I could have make partition and format it out of the box. But what if I don't have a normal HD enclosure and a PC? If they think making ONE PARTITION OF 500GB WITH EXT2 FILE SYSTEM is Ok, they got to be kidding me!!!

xty

I've made some tests... it does NOT support NTFS !!!. The photos above are misleading!

After partitioning & formatting with NTFS in a regular SATA enclosure, and then put it back to AirLive box, I can't copy any file to the drive (access violation). When I checked through FTP, it sets the partitions to read only (r-xr-xr-x). I can't seem to change/chmod either.

I thought it's because the Guest mode. I tried to change to Authorization mode, but it asked the drive to have Private partition (means back to square one as if I use the built-in FDISK utility), which I don't want.

Then I make FAT32 partitions (using Partition Magic), now I can copy any file without problems.

At least I can use it now, but certainly I wouldn't buy again.

spanish_biker79

If they think making ONE PARTITION OF 500GB WITH EXT2 FILE SYSTEM is Ok, they got to be kidding me!!!

Hi m8, can you create several partitions (EXT2 and FAT32) with the built-in tools? If not, I think I must create one partition of 500GB with EXT2. Why wouldn't you create that?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It can read ntfs, but not write ntfs. The picture showing ntfs is just the screen showing what partitions are on the drive. Obviously, the reviewer put an ntfs drive in the enclosure for testing.

The specs on the first page of the review clearly state what file systems are supported.