• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alan Wake Remastered Interview with d3t and Remedy Entertainment

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Alan Wake Remastered brings the magic of Alan Wake back in a gorgeous-looking AAA title for this generation. Much like other smash-hit personality-based action titles by Remedy Entertainment, such as Max Payne (of the old), Quantum Break, and Control; Alan Wake is as much a literary experience as it is a challenging action game. You play as title character Alan Wake, a writer struggling with writer's block, out on holiday in the Pacific Northwest with his wife. Following her mysterious disappearance, Wake finds events from his unfinished novel coming to life, including its many horrors.

When it came out in Spring 2012, Alan Wake—then exclusive to the Xbox 360 and Windows PC—was already considered path-breaking in terms of its visual splendour, however, it was limited to the technology of the time, and more importantly, to just a couple of platforms. Remedy Entertainment decided to wipe the dust off the title, and remaster it for the current generation. Developing this is game studio d3t, while Epic Games is the publisher, who very kindly gave us a chance to interact with Andy Booth, Studio Technical Director, d3t, and Thomas Puha, Communications Director of Remedy Entertainment, on the technical aspects of the remaster. Boy did we learn a lot.

TechPowerUp: Why Alan Wake? What was the thought behind remastering this title for today? Do you feel the title was under-appreciated when it came out? It was visually pretty cutting-edge for 2012 already?

Thomas Puha (Remedy): There were a few reasons, but thank you for saying that the game was already visually quite cutting-edge back in 2012! We agree and that was partly why it was challenging to create the Remaster, because the old graphics on PC hold up pretty well to this day. This is because the art direction, the quality of the art and the rendering tech was so good.

However, Alan Wake was only available for Xbox 360 and PC. The game has, naturally, aged in many ways, so once we got the publishing rights from Microsoft in 2019, we started working on the remaster. We wanted to bring the game to a bigger audience and especially to PlayStation where Alan Wake was not available before.

I don't think we've ever felt that Alan Wake was under-appreciated, on the contrary. The amount of people who tell us they love Alan Wake, how it resonated with them, never ceases to amaze me. It's the fandom of the game that has kept the franchise alive and that's partly why we are making the Remaster happen.

Did we hope the original game would have sold better on the Xbox 360 back in 2010? Sure, but the game's done well over the years, people remember it, like it…so it's all good!

TechPowerUp: Is the remaster based on the Northlight engine?

Thomas Puha (Remedy): The Remaster is not based on the current Northlight engine that Control uses.

Alan Wake Remastered is running on its original engine, which was created by Remedy—it just wasn't called Northlight back in 2010. Now with d3t, that original "Alan Wake" engine has been reworked to take advantage of modern technology. So, a huge number of things were rewritten—from rendering systems to foliage. It was somewhere around 14-16 months of work to create Alan Wake Remastered.

There is some irony in how much work it takes to try to make the game look like it did originally, to stray true to the vision, yet almost all the systems are completely redone.

TechPowerUp: Could you briefly walk us through the visual enhancements that make up the remaster? The announcement press-release talks about improved cinematics. Are the videos simply upscale remastered or re-rendered from the original's motion-capture data?

Andy Booth (d3t): From a tech point of view, we've added a lot of new features, but some of the biggest ones include:
  • New motion blur
  • Blend-shape animation system
  • HBAO+ (replacing the legacy SSAO)
  • New volumetric lighting system
  • New tone-map
  • Subsurface-scattering skin shader
  • Anisotropic hair shader
  • Material improvements across the board
  • Temporal Anti-Aliasing and upscaling
  • Improved wind simulation
  • Improved shadow quality
  • Improved tessellation and draw distances
  • DLSS (NVIDIA PC)
  • Haptics and Activities (PS5)
  • Controls, camera and accessibility improvements
The cinematics are re-rendered. The original cinematics were 720p - upscaling would have been possible, but in moving all the way to 4k, the final results wouldn't have been acceptable. Not only that, but we planned to improve character models in the game, and this would have created a disconnect between in-game and cinematics.

The animation in the cinematics has also been improved. The biggest issue with the original cinematics is the facial animation. The original game used a traditional skeletal animation system for all facial animation. Nowadays, a preferred option is often to use blend-shape animation so the decision was made early in the project that this is the approach we should take.

To achieve this, we had to first rebuild all the characters for blend-shapes. Some of the more important characters such as Alan Wake have over 600 individual blend shapes which really helps to add more detail and nuance to the characters. All of the content in the game was then performance captured by actors, and mapped to these blend-shape facial animation rigs. We have also touched up the body animation in various places, improving fidelity and adding nuance.

TechPowerUp: The release mentions facelifted character models. Could you elaborate? Is this a geometry enhancement? Any cloth physics or hair effects added? Improved ragdoll FX?

Andy Booth (d3t): The character geometry has been completely reworked, with a roughly 5x increase in polygons. In addition, all the textures have been remade at a much higher resolution.

We've also added wrinkle maps to simulate the wrinkling of skin as it moves during animation. Finally, the character materials have been completely re-engineered. We've added a sub-surface scattering skin shader which simulates the translucency of skin, and an anisotropic hair shader which accurately models the reflectivity of hair. All these things combined help make the character look more realistic and ensure they light correctly within a variety of situations.

TechPowerUp: The release also mentions support for newer display formats such as 4K@60. Any word on ultrawide (21:9) formats, given that Alan Wake is an immersive, ambient horror title that would look incredible on a curved ultrawide?

Thomas Puha (Remedy): The PC version supports 21:9.

Alan Wake is possibly the juiciest subject for a remaster with real-time ray tracing effects, given that the scenes are mostly in the dark, with scope for ray-traced shadows, reflections, GI, and AO. It's also the perfect title to implement variable-rate shading. Is any of this part of the remaster? If not, why not?

Andy Booth (d3t): Early in the project we evaluated ray tracing for inclusion within the remaster, but ultimately, we decided it was better to spend the time available on all the other new rendering features that would be visible to all players.

Adding ray tracing to this engine would not have been a trivial piece of work - remember that we're still using what is fundamentally a 10+ year old engine so adding new technology carries a range of additional challenges that wouldn't be encountered if you were adding ray tracing to a brand-new engine.

Performance was another concern. Alan Wake was a beautiful game at the time it was released, but that came at a cost. The original Alan Wake shipped on Xbox 360 at 540p - lower than a lot of other games released around that time. The truth is that an average Alan Wake scene contains a lot of layers and a lot of full-screen effects. These don't scale so well with resolution, so rendering costs get high very quickly.

Because we wanted to maintain the original artistic vision and look of the game, we weren't ever planning to fundamentally change the renderer, so we knew that we'd carry these costs in the remaster. Our projections showed that adding ray tracing on top of these costs would become quickly impractical for most gamers' hardware.

Thomas Puha (Remedy): On top of what Andy said regarding the technical challenges, there is always a limited amount of time, money and resources.

Our main goal was to ship Alan Wake Remastered on previous and current-gen platforms, make sure the game is as optimized as possible within our constraints on all these systems…building ray tracing capabilities would have compromised this.

TechPowerUp: Any other performance enhancements such as NVIDIA DLSS or AMD FidelityFX Super-Res?

Thomas Puha (Remedy): We are currently supporting NVIDIA DLSS which is generating noticeable performance improvements. We do not currently support anything similar on AMD GPUs.

Any VR mode included or planned? This game would look awesome in VR.
Thomas Puha (Remedy): No.

Are the game's default controls the same, or mapped similar to "Control"? Any cosmetic touch-ups to the menu UI and HUD?
Thomas Puha (Remedy): Same controls and the UI layout is the same, but refined to take advantage of higher resolutions and we tweaked it a little here and there to make it look more fresh.

[Interview Concludes]

That was a great chat, and we thank Remedy Entertainment and d3t for the technical rundown. It reveals the tough technical choices studios have to make, to remaster their titles for the day, particularly resisting the urge to use tick-box features such as ray tracing, or at least sincerely evaluating the cost against what they'd like to accomplish within a reasonable time and budget.

If you like what you see, get Alan Wake Remastered on the Epic Games Store.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X [3.7GHz/4.6GHz][6C/12T]
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO [X570]
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB [DDR4 3600][2x16GB][16-19-19-39@1.35V]
Video Card(s) ASUS KO GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 [511.65]
Storage [OS] Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | [Storage] 980 1TB | 860 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850 [27"][2560x1440@144Hz][Nano IPS][LED][G-SYNC Compatible][DP]
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC S1200A High Definition Audio CODEC
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G1+ [+12V: 83.3A 999.6W][80 Plus Gold]
Mouse Logitech M570 Trackball
Keyboard Corsair Gaming K55 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro [21H1][64-bit]
Wake me when it's on Steam.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

this would not have been possible without Epic's funding it. so I am thankful for Epic as I always wanted to play this game and I finally will get around to it now. I hope previous steam owners do get a discount if it ever comes to steam though

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
i saw the gameplay, the difference is not that much difference...
will not purchase

Screw that. Wake me when it's on GOG.
this would not have been possible without Epic's funding it. so I am thankful for Epic as I always wanted to play this game and I finally will get around to it now. I hope previous steam owners do get a discount if it ever comes to steam though
While that's cool, the original's are on GOG and that's where I spend my gaming money..

System Name nope
Processor I3 10100F
Motherboard ATM Gigabyte h410
Cooling Arctic 12 passive
Memory ATM Gskill 1x 8GB NT Series (No Heatspreader bling bling garbage, just Black DIMMS)
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7770 and EVGA GTX 470 and Zotac GTX 960
Storage 120GB OS SSD, 240GB M2 Sata, 240GB M2 NVME, 300GB HDD, 500GB HDD
Display(s) Nec EA 241 WM
Case Coolermaster whatever
Audio Device(s) Onkyo on TV and Mi Bluetooth on Screen
Power Supply Super Flower Leadx 550W
Mouse Steelseries Rival Fnatic
Keyboard Logitech K270 Wireless
Software Deepin, BSD and 10 LTSC
Uh d3t they made the mafia 2 remaster :fear:

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
I've been playing it, if you already own it on Steam/GoG save your money.

Its only the guys on Playstation, and maybe Xbox who should look into this IMO.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I am dissappointed this wont have RT, especially coming from the team responsabele for Control, the parade horse of Nvidia RTX.
I know RT isnt the end all be all but if any title would make good use of it, I think that would be alan wake with the constant flashlight usage and layers of vegitation.
oh well...

and on this part:
TechPowerUp: Any other performance enhancements such as NVIDIA DLSS or AMD FidelityFX Super-Res?
Thomas Puha (Remedy): We are currently supporting NVIDIA DLSS which is generating noticeable performance improvements. We do not currently support anything similar on AMD GPUs.

I wish you guys went in on that response, "we do not currenlty support anything similair on amd"... ok...what does that mean? are you saying it will come in the future? it might come in the future?
Why would you not have it when its so easy to implement? RT we can get, that requires a LOT of work but FSR specifically does not.....
Honestly right now im thinking Nvidia just paid them off to have DLSS in it and specifically NOT have fsr.

2 problems I see with this remaster,
1. Given that they did very well with Control, it is hard not to draw comparison when it comes to visuals. Which is why people will ask if there will be RT effects
2. EPIC only is an epic fail. I've stopped using my EPIC account, and have no intention of using it again even for a game I may want to try.

The problem with EPIC funding and being an EPIC exclusive is that they will lose sales for sure. So while you have funds to remaster the game, aka, make it look nicer graphically, and likely a guaranteed amount for the exclusivity, they are not going to make as much money.

Last edited:
System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
I'm mad this PoS remake doesn't work on my computer without crashing. I can't play 10 minutes of the game without it crashing or the screen going black. I'll see if I can do something later to REMEDY this problem...

2. EPIC only is an epic fail. I've stopped using my EPIC account, and have no intention of using it again even for a game I may want to try.
To be fair, it's a little better than everything except GOG. Steam has become a crapshow with the forced updates and other such BS. Screw Steam..

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
An exclusive? Go TPU! :lovetpu:

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
The game was not that old, and held pretty well on it's own. Meanwhile they could have Remastared Max Payne that now looks like ass. These companies are run by idiots.

System Name Xeon build X58 / Main Rig X79
Processor Intel Xeon x5650 @ 4.2Ghz with HT / Xeon E5 1650 v2 @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme socket 1366 / Asus P9X79 Pro socket 2011
Cooling Thermalright Archon +Ty 140mm|Fans : 2 front-1top-1rear-1bottom/ Gelid Phantom Twin Tower
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingstone Hyper x Quad Channel / 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Patriot Viper 3
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd 7950 3gb Boost edition dual fan X / ZOTAC 1080 Ti Blower Edition
Storage Kingstone AV400ssd 120gb+Seagate B 2Tb+WD g 1tb+WD g 3tb+WD r 3tb+Seagate B 4tb+Lexar 2Tb NVMe
Display(s) AOC E2460S 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms / LG 32UK550B 32" UHD 4K HDR 10 with Freesync
Case Enermax Phoenix / Fractal Design Arc midi
Audio Device(s) SoundMaxHD+5.1 BHT1100 BLUESKY,Fiio E10 Olympus+SuperluxHD668b+KZ HBB pr2,Superlux E205.
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W semi modular / Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular
Mouse Generic Mice / Corsair M90
Keyboard Generic Keyboard / Microsoft WK600
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 /Windows 10 Pro 64
It need to be patched asap. I saw a friend playing it and it does weird glitches with black lines and some object turn bright cause of the dlss. Did they even test it before release? It was bad the remaster of Mafia 2 so they had to ruing Alan Wake too.

I tried the game out briefly but quickly refunded it.
This is one of the worst remasters produced right along side the Silent Hill HD collection.
I have an RTX 3090 and even at 4k with DLSS the game drops below 60 fps.
During those drops my GPU usage is less than 40%
This game runs worse than Cyberpunk 2077.
There is also a ton of graphical glitches with constant black rectangles stretching across the screen and flashing green textures on models popping into frame.
There is no way they didn't know this was an issue.
This tells me they decided to release a heavily bugged game to make a quick buck.
In my opinion (besides the improved textures, select objects and ambient occlusion). The remaster looks worse than the original on PC.
The night time in the remaster is way too bright and faded. The original had much darker nights which improved the atmosphere.
This looks like the devs removed a lot of the prebaked elements then added a new lighting system without doing any extra work to see if the new lighting actually works well in individual scenes.

System Name DaBeast! DaBeast2!
Processor AMD AM4 Ryzen 9 5900X 12C24T/AMD AM4 RYZEN 9 3900X 12C/24T
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme/Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 360/Thermalright PA 120 SE
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16/2x 16GB Patriot Elite II DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX 24GB/Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT 16GB
Storage 500GB Crucial P3 Plus NVMe PCIe 4x4 + 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe PCIe 4x4 + TG Cardea Zero Z NVMe PCIe 4x4
Display(s) Samsung LC49HG90DMEX 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2/Acer XR341CK 75Hz 21:9 Freesync
Case CoolerMaster H500M/SOLDAM XR-1
Audio Device(s) iFi Micro iDSD BL + Philips Fidelio B97/FostexHP-A4 + LG SP8YA
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum/Enermax MAXREVO 1500
Mouse Logitech G703/Logitech G603 WL
Keyboard Logitech G613/Keychron K2
Software Win11 Pro/Win11 Pro
I have the original game, but I don't mind if the visual improvements is worth it (imo). That this 'Remaster' has DLSS (I suspect they took money from nVidia for DLSS, so FSR is out, much like Metro Exodus) has caused me to lose all interest, so I'll be giving this a hard pass.

I have the original game, but I don't mind if the visual improvements is worth it (imo). That this 'Remaster' has DLSS (I suspect they took money from nVidia for DLSS, so FSR is out, much like Metro Exodus) has caused me to lose all interest, so I'll be giving this a hard pass.
You aren't missing much. IMO overall I think the original on PC looks better than the remaster because the devs did a poor job of implementing the new lighting when they carried the game over to a newer engine.
The game is also very buggy and poorly optimized.

And I hope everyone who bought the remaster gets a refund.
Companies only listen to money so if you buy unfinished buggy games you send a message to these companies that it is ok to release trash.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Alan Wake didn't need a remaster, the original still looks great and at no point did the graphics interrupt the immersion.

Also, whilst it was a good game, I felt a little let down because the review scores led me to believe it was something special. I give it a 7/10 - worth playing but the gameplay was pretty repetitive and simple; the story is what (barely) managed to hold my attention to completion. Remedy have done better and there are other games in Remedy's stable that deserve the remaster more than Alan Wake.

If you only have a Playstation and have never played Alan Wake, then I guess this makes sense.

Last edited:
System Name Aryzen / Sairikiki / Tesseract
Processor 5800x / i7 920@3.73 / 5800x
Motherboard Steel Legend B450M / GB EX58-UDP4 / Steel Legend B550M
Cooling Mugen 5 / Pure Rock / Glacier One 240
Memory Corsair Something 16 / Corsair Something 12 / G.Skill 32
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT / AMD 6750XT / Sapphire 7800XT
Storage Way too many drives...
Display(s) LG 332GP850-B / Sony w800b / Sony X90J
Case EVOLV X / Carbide 540 / Carbide 280x
Audio Device(s) SB ZxR + GSP 500 / board / Denon X1700h + ELAC Uni-Fi 2 + Senn 6XX
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GX-750 / Corsair HX750 / Seasonic Focus PX-650
Mouse G700 / none / G602
Keyboard G910
Software w11 64
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks...
If it's a free update for owners of the original, I might try it... seeing how I still haven't found the time to play the thing...

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
If it's a free update for owners of the original, I might try it... seeing how I still haven't found the time to play the thing.
It's EGS-exclusive, and the original was never sold on EGS, so no.
You would be insane to buy the remaster unless you'd never played it. Assuming they fix the bugs, the remaster is probably the preferred way to experience Alan Wake for the first time.

The game was not that old, and held pretty well on it's own. Meanwhile they could have Remastared Max Payne that now looks like ass. These companies are run by idiots.
Have to agree here, since I played it just last year and with settings cranked to the max, it still looks very decent or in other words not in any desperate need of an overhaul at all, especially when, as you say, they could (and should) have done Max Payne instead.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
I bought the original back when it was released and I still haven't gotten to it. Even when I'm interested enough to purchase the game, a 3rd person title usually gets tossed in the "I'll get to it later when I have a chance" pile, only to never see the light of day.

I literally have dozens of these games in my account right now....essentially, haunting me from the past.

If I recall correctly, the graphics in Alan Wake were quite good for the day, stellar even? I'm beginning to wonder if "Remaster" really means cash grab. Not that I'm saying that I believe this title is attempting one...I do not know. Although...a few other titles as of late?

Nothing but...

Best,

Liquid Cool

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
I'm beginning to wonder if "Remaster" really means cash grab.

So Control introduced Alan Wake into the Control universe, so I can see a reason why they did the remaster.

As for if you'd buy this though.

On PC -> Nope, play the original. It runs better and looks almost as good. Give modders a month and they'll probably rip the assets from the remaster anyway. Also you don't get American Nightmare in the remaster so continuity wise, still probably better to play the original.

On Xbox -> Bit harder as the 360 version in BC has a resolution and filtering bump, but only runs at 30 fps. Still, if 30 fps plays fine for you, I probably wouldn't buy the remaster.

On Playstation -> Only way to play Alan Wake so the remaster is a no brainer I guess.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
I think it's weird when they spend all of this time and money remastering such old and meh games, like Alan Wake. Like with the movie industry, it tells me they've mostly given up. Will we see a AAA game worth buying this year? Next year? I'm not going to hold my breath.