• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alienware GTX 1070 NVFlash GPU Mismatch Error

perfectlydiverse

Here's the process prior to my current issue: I aquired this Alienware 15 R3 laptop with a broken lcd and a code 43 error on the graphics card after the previous owner had a bad MOBO flash update. I replaced the lcd and tried everything for the GFX card (uninstall device, reinstall drivers, delete nvidia from everything... reinstall again) and nothing worked, so I figured the firmware must be the problem from that bad MOBO flash after I read Dell flashes both the MOBO and GPU at once. So I found THIS vbios backup from the same device. After I flashed it it worked! Happy day! (I had backed up the original vbios, but when compared they were identical so I didn't keep it.) But then a couple days later I had a BSOD (video_tdr_failure nvlddmkm.sys) followed by the return of the code 43 on the GFX card. I first attempted reinstalling drivers, same as before, and nothing worked. Instead I recieved more BSODs with various causes; all about files associated with the GPU.

So I decided that Dell's firmware was the culprit because I found many posts on Google of people with the same problem. So rashly I suppose I decided to try flashing to another manufacturer's vbios that was the same card (as far as I could tell) and chose THIS vbios from ASUS. It flashed, I restarted, but now the card shows up as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and Nvidia won't recognize the card for installing drivers. So I tried to revert to the other vbios and all I got was this "GPU Mismatch". I don't understand why it would let me flash to the ASUS vbios and not back to the Dell vbios.

Anyway I saw that the PCI Device ID was different (ASUS=1BE1 | Dell=1BA1), so I figure that's what it's fussing about, but I don't know if it's possible to change it back in order to flash back. I assume my issue with this ASUS vbios is it shows as being a Dell card but the Device ID is from ASUS?

Just to test I flashed the newer ASUS vbios and that flash went through. As I thought since it's the same PCI Device ID, so that's the vbios I have now.

I googled how to force a flash and only found old posts for old NVFlash builds that won't work. I also googled changing PCI Device IDs and only found stuff for Linux (I'm on Windows 10). I used --protectoff but that only bypassed some warnings.

I'm a N00b with all this if that isn't obvious already.

MY QUESTION:
Can I get this current ASUS vbios to work, and if not, can I force NVFlash to flash the old vbios back on the card? Or is it broken with no return?
Any help is very appreciated.

Specs:
Alienware 15 R3
i7-6700HQ
GTX 1070 8GB (Clock:1443)
Windows 10 Pro

Code:
D:\...\Desktop\nvflash_5.560.0>nvflash64.exe -6 GP104.rom
NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.560.0)
Copyright (C) 1993-2019, NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Adapter: GeForce GTX 1070     (10DE,1BE1,1028,0772) H:--:NRM  S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00

EEPROM ID (EF,6014) : WBond W25Q80EW 1.65-1.95V 8192Kx1S, page

WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible PCI Device ID's
match the PCI Device ID of the adapter.
  Adapter PCI Device ID:        1BE1
  Firmware image PCI Device ID: 1BA1
WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.0000)
  does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1028.0772).

NOTE: Exception caught.
Nothing changed!

ERROR: GPU mismatch

D:\...\Desktop\nvflash_5.560.0>nvflash64 -a
NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.560.0)
Copyright (C) 1993-2019, NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

NVIDIA display adapters present in system:
<0> GeForce GTX 1070     (10DE,1BE1,1028,0772) H:--:NRM  S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00

GPU-Z_Screenshot_basic.gif

perfectlydiverse

Bump

Any ideas at all? Any suggestions for sites or other forums where I might find some solutions? I don't really want to give up on this graphics card yet.

TontonPanda

Hello, I kinda have the same problem. My laptop is a GT72VR 6RE with G-sync, my GPU (1070) kinda died and i bought a replacement one on ebay that came from a GE65VR, but I got the PCI ID missmatch problem...