• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

All audio that is played comes through mic

For me beam forming works best, AEC settings can be intermittent with some ALC's, not sure why. My mic is stereo, 2 separate mini mics, one left, one right.
I remember my old X-Fi had options for noise cancellation, but required a proper stereo microphone to work properly.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Get rid of that shite realtek chip.

I'm not even kidding, when you upgrade board to something recent, you'll know. Those audio subsystems have improved by miles since then. I know from experience, these boards were just prior to the whole gamur push for actual quality features. That way you can stay away from sound cards too. I've also had a Xonar DG, in my case on a Gigabyte Z77x. Never. Again. Nothing ever works entirely the way you want.

And if you do get a sound card, get a proper external one, connect it with a single input from the PC and never touch it again, handle everything externally. Even just because the noise floor is so much better.

That's definitely true if we are talking about a plain ordinary Realtek driver, comparing the sound of my ALC889 with Realtek vs ALC889 with DTS, major difference.

LucyZocker

If anyone else ever comes here with a Realtek soundboard here is what I did that seemed to have fixed the issue.
In the Realtek audio console go into the mic settings and then advanced. Make sure that the inputs are not connected. After doing this (and a quick reboot) my mic is no longer playing any audio I listen to, but still records the voice.
I hope this helps for anyone else coming this way
Lucy

jarod120

From this video:
I found that you will want to go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek\Audio\Drivers\HDADrv\WIN64\RtkNGUI64.exe
or C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\Drivers\hdaorsomethingprobably\RtkNGUI64.exe
or something similar

and

Click the Crank in the bottom right of the window

Make the Recording Device Seperate all input jacks ...

If you are using a 3.5mm jack that uses both mic and audio, this still did not fix my problem.

Luckily I had an adapter that I plugged into the back of the PC and it correctly joins the mic and audio from the PC to your headset only after changing the settings.

[When I started I had issues opening this exe, and I updated to windows 11 and tried updating the realtek driver because of this issue (which let me open the RtkNGUI64.exe).]

Last edited:

thewakaman

I hope this helps someone in the future. This what worked for me. Audio coming through your mic/comms channel during a game. Mine was Overwatch.

Realtek Audio Drivers on Motherboard. Using a Corsair HS50 PRO (non usb mic) - No actual Corsair drivers available (that i know of)

Things i tried that didnt work.
- Disabling Stereo Mix
- Updating Computer Drivers
- Reformatted
- Tried other non usb headsets - still nothing
- Tried using usb-c to aux adapters (had mic capabilities) still getting feedback even my mic was muted, but I had push to talk engaged.
- Tried a USB-A to Aux adapter - same affect at first. Then i found this thread on THIS PAGE. https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/all-audio-that-is-played-comes-through-mic.219513/

What worked for me from that thread was.

A. Simply Installing the 2.82 Realtek Driver - Did not remove anything prior to install https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/17056/#download_scroll

B. Reconfirming my stereo mix was disabled, Listening to this device disabled, disabling "allow applications to take control" or similar option, and put my Mic level at about 70%

C. I noticed that someone mentioned issues with 48000hz sound so i then switched it to 44100hz. Launched Overwatch. Played a game and can see my mic NOT creating noise when my mic was muted and push to talk engaged. I think this might be the most important part

I hope this helps and saves time!!!

lsd_lsd_ily

Sorry to bump an old thread but this was the first Google result so I figured I would put my solution here

At least for me, you were right it was related to Stereo Mix. My stereo mix was disabled so I assumed that was not it, but the fix for me was to enable Stereo Mix then mute it. Somehow even though it was disabled it was still mixing the audio.
I was genuinely about to stop playing games because this issue was so annoying I tried everything and nothing worked until I saw your comment and it completely solved the issue thank you so much I've never made an account to respond to a helpful message but I was honestly ripping my hair out over this so I think I needed to comment

crimsonkarma

I've spent ages on this, and I've found a fix for me. Realtek's latest audio driver version (2.82) no longer has two options that I have found solve this issue. I downloaded the previous version (2.81) which is available on their website https://realtek-download.com/download-hd/.

Once I installed this some new options were available for my microphone. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound. Then select the 'Recording' tab. Right click your microphone and select properties. Go to the 'Enhancements' tab and make sure 'Noise Suppression' and 'Acoustic Echo Cancellation' are ticked. (These were not here when I had the most recent (2.82) version.

I've found this drastically improves the issue. If I have my headphones turned up very loud some noise still seeps through but I haven't found it noticeable and the two options suppress it very well. If I am playing games or watching something when in Discord chat with friends they can't pick up the sounds.

When installing the older version of the driver, I had a bit of a problem with the installer going in a loop every time I restarted as part of the process. I have found a solution to this here: https://www.gfisk.com/realtek-audio-driver-install-loop-windows-10/

One note is that I think that this slightly changed my microphone volume settings on the 'Levels' tab of the Microphone Properties but I was able to just change these back to a suitable level.

Another note is that the version (2.82) Does not come with Realtek HD Audio Manager, not sure if this plays a part but it's useful to have which the previous (2.81) version does.

Hope this helps!
the part with downloading the old version of realtek fixed it and showed enhancements, I ticked the one setting that was there which was echo and it fixed, well it looks like I'm quiet tho

willtheoct

Same problem.
Gigabyte z97x-sli mobo
Windows 10
Realtek audio manager installed

echo cancellation "fixes" the problem by removing the pc audio entirely but is also making my voice muffled and distorted when a game/music player has lots of output

If I had more time I'd love to try installing ubuntu, arch, or windows 7/xp to see if the problem remains.
update 2023 - problem is on ubuntu as well, z97x-sli mobo is to blame. while gigabyte motherboards are nice, gigabyte users should expect this issue, I guess. A USB or other digital headset should work around the problem.

commands to diagnose audio on debian OSes are pavucontrol and alsamixer