• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

All Sorts of Movies, Music, and Comedy Coming to the PSP

grazzhoppa

Processor Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3.3GHz
Motherboard Abit IP35 Pro
Cooling Scythe Ninja, two 600RPM 12CM fans
Memory 4GB DDR2 @ 832MHz, 4-4-4-12 2T
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 8800GT @ 715/980 passively cooled
Storage 1TB WD10EARS, 500GB WD5000AAKS, 250GB HM250JI
Display(s) Samsung 204b LCD
Case Ultra Wizard
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Seasonic S12-II 380 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro. (x64)
Josh Freund from GamesAreFun.com went to the trouble of making an unofficial list of what movies, taped music performances/concerts, and comedy shows are to be released on UMD (Sony's Universal Media Disk) for the PSP. It's a large list and can be found on the above link. Most movies are from Sony's own movie branch which is expected.

Some notable ones, according to my taste in movies/TV, are:
Super Troopers - 7/05
Air Force One - 7/19
Armageddon - 7/19
Kill Bill - Volume 1 and 2 (sold separately) - vol. 1 already available, vol. 2 coming - July 19
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - July 26
The Replacement Killers - August 09
Dave Chappelle - For What It's Worth - August 16
Sin City - August 16
The Rock - August 16
Snatch - August 23
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - September 13 :)
Ren and Stimpy Volume 1 1/2ish - sometime in December
The Incredibles - sometime in December

I don't think it's worth buying a movie on DVD and UMD, unless they are packaged together at only a few buck more than the DVD by itself. But some movies are great for watching anytime. I imagine it will be mainly movie buffs and parents with their children that will start collecting UMD movies. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future Sony offers DVD players and TV's with built in support for watching UMD's. Well, that's only if Sony is serious about selling this format long-term, past the life of the PSP, and that depends on if they release another handheld - a PSP2.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site