• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alleged Apple M1X Processor Specifications Surface

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Apple's silicon design team has recently launched its "fastest" CPU core ever, found inside the company's M1 processor designed for laptops and mini-PCs. Featuring an eight-core processor, where four cores are represented by low power small configurations, and four big, high-performance design cores, the M1 processor proved to be extremely fast. However, the Apple Silicon processor doesn't seem to cover anything higher than the 13-inch MacBook Pro. And that is about to change. When it comes to higher-end models like the 16-inch MacBook Pro, which provides more cooling area, it is logical that the processor for those designs is a higher performance design.

Enter the world of the Apple M1X processor. Designed for high-end laptops and the most demanding workloads, the new processor aims to create a new performance level. Featuring a 12-core CPU with eight big and four small cores, the M1X processor is going to deliver much better performance than M1. The graphics and memory configuration are currently unknown, so we have to wait and see how it will look like. The M1X is set to arrive sometime in Q1 of 2021, according to the source of the leak, so be patient and remember to take this information with a grain of salt.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
I'm interested what chips they can make for those garbage bins

This should actually have some gaming performance. I'd rather buy a gaming laptop that looks like a 16" MacBook Pro than all the abomination looking things they are selling as gaming laptops. I'm willing to bet that price/perf. with these new chips isn't even going to differ much anymore. I appreciate the competition Apple is bringing and I'd love to see all the Apple haters' faces melt when someone plays the same games with more fps on their MacBook than on their fugly Alienware Gaming Laptop Xtreme Edition.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
This should actually have some gaming performance. I'd rather buy a gaming laptop that looks like a 16" MacBook Pro than all the abomination looking things they are selling as gaming laptops. I'm willing to bet that price/perf. with these new chips isn't even going to differ much anymore. I appreciate the competition Apple is bringing and I'd love to see all the Apple haters' faces melt when someone plays the same games with more fps on their MacBook than on their fugly Alienware Gaming Laptop Xtreme Edition.

... they wont be able to play the same games, its a totally different architecture...

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
8 big cores are going to provide a considerable performance boost given that the ~5X multi core scaling M1 has is atrocious but, there's a problem. They'll be running out of space, quite literally, their cores are huge with massive system caches. Will there be space for bigger GPUs ? Wont power efficiency go downhill really fast ? What about cooling ? SoCs are fundamentally not meant to be high performance, for some reason Apple thinks otherwise, see there is no real point if you end up making a huge power hungry SoC for a mobile device.

Keep in mind that their non-X SoCs still only have 2 high performance cores with a couple of low performance (like, really low performance if you look at MT scaling) little cores that are apparently based on a 2012 design, that should give people an idea of just how bad they scale.

Last edited:
System Name Gaming PC / I7 XEON
Processor I7 4790K @stock / XEON W3680 @ stock
Motherboard Asus Z97 MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / GIGABYTE X58 UD7
Cooling X61 Kraken / X61 Kraken
Memory 32gb Vengeance 2133 Mhz / 24b Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GLH 1080 / MSI Gaming X Radeon RX480 8 GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 500gb ,3 tb seagate, 2 samsung 1tb in raid 0 / Kingdian 240 gb, megaraid SAS 9341-8
Display(s) 2 BENQ 27" GL2706PQ / Dell UP2716D LCD Monitor 27 "
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T / Corsair Obsidian 750 D
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD / ON BOARD
Power Supply Sapphire Pure 950w / Corsair RMI 750w
Mouse Steelseries Sesnsei / Steelseries Sensei raw
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma / Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 1064bit PRO / Windows 1064bit PRO
the problem is the memory soldered hate that

Will there be space for bigger GPUs ?

The GPU doesn't need to get bigger it just needs to get faster.

Wont power efficiency go downhill really fast ?

No, probably not. Efficiency scaling is more than just power draw from the wall. If the chip doubles in power but quadruples in performance than efficiency went up, not down. Plus Apple has a lot of wiggle room in this regard since they aren't even at the limit of battery tech. If they double SoC power on full load and up the battery a bit it'll still equalize over 12hrs battery life which is one of the design goals.

What about cooling ?

Likely going to look very similar. The fan basically doesn't turn on with the current design. It's there just to assure that temps stay low in less friendly environments. Add a bit more finstack and it'll be fine.

SoCs are fundamentally not meant to be high performance

Zen is also an SoC design and targets high performance.

the problem is the memory soldered hate that

Yes it's unfortunate that there's not a DRAM socket in existence that can handle the bandwidth that the M1 requires. The cores themselves would be happy with ~80GB/s from the DRAM landing but GPU, ML, and some FF blocks need 200-300GB/s and large data sets to be even remotely effective. Access latencies from end to end is also a huge concern for the chip, and adding mere centimeters of wire to the design could double the latency.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
No, probably not. Efficiency scaling is more than just power draw from the wall. If the chip doubles in power but quadruples in performance than efficiency went up, not down. Plus Apple has a lot of wiggle room in this regard since they aren't even at the limit of battery tech. If they double SoC power on full load and up the battery a bit it'll still equalize over 12hrs battery life which is one of the design goals.
Yes it is a win but you forget, this is still low power device so we all know that it may scale nice with power vs performance but if it does hit the ceiling of the power allowed, it doesn't matter how good it scales.
Sure and we all know that faster, doesn't have anything to do with bigger. Especially in graphics.
Zen is also an SoC design and targets higher power limit thus higher performance comes with it. That's how you should have phrased it. You can also say Zen is an SoC design and targets higher performance thus higher power comes with it.
You keep forgetting that we are talking about mobile here. With low power budget. Why do you even bring a desktop CPU into this?

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Comedy in word's, when's cyberpunk 2077 out then on it?!.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

That's how GPUs get faster, they get bigger. More cores scale almost linearly in performance, increasing IPC is difficult and increasing clocks are a bad idea.

No, probably not. Efficiency scaling is more than just power draw from the wall. If the chip doubles in power but quadruples in performance than efficiency went up, not down.

This wont quadruple in performance, it will increase by 1.5-1.8X at best but power will double, that will put it close to the 25W mark making it more or less about the same with any other comparable x86 SoC.

Likely going to look very similar.

At the expense of frequency, these SoCs are really dense, it's not a matter of spinning the fans faster the thermal limitations come from the lack of surface area and energy density.

No it doesn't, 8 low clocked CPU cores and 8 GPU 4 year old Vega cores, you call that high performance ? A high performance SoC would be something like the one used for consoles.

Last edited:
Sure and we all know that faster, doesn't have anything to do with bigger. Especially in graphics.

I sense the smarmy sarcasm but no, bigger isn't necessarily faster. Maxwell vs Kepler. Navi 10 vs Vega 20. Architecture means as much or more than just stapling units together.

You keep forgetting that we are talking about mobile here. With low power budget. Why do you even bring a desktop CPU into this?

Zen is also in the mobile and embedded space, and doing quite well might I add. Targeting down to 10W typical power envelopes. The whole point of Zen's SoC design was that it enhanced scalability from top to bottom.

This wont quadruple in performance, it will increase by 1.5-1.8X at best but power will double, that will put it close to the 25W mark making it more or less about the same with any other comparable x86 SoC.

I won't argue numbers because it was an example, not a stated fact. So sure, your made up numbers are more valid than my made up numbers. It doesn't actually matter if the chip exceeds comparable x86 cores in sustained power draw (it won't) if it still outperforms them. Don't get so hung up on power draw when the work done is more important. To reiterate: if it completes the task faster it still uses less power.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
your made up numbers are more valid than my made up numbers.

They are not made up, twice the cores means a maximum theoretical scaling of 2X. Naturally that wont ever happen in the real world, so 1.5-1.8X is a perfectly valid number, you can look at every other multicore CPU that has ever existed and you'll see the same kind of scaling.

It doesn't actually matter if the chip exceeds comparable x86 cores in sustained power draw if it still outperforms them.

Absolutely ridiculous idea, of course power matters no matter how fast something is, especially in a mobile device.

if it completes the task faster it still uses less power.

What ? How did you come up with that.

8 big cores are going to provide a considerable performance boost given that the ~5X multi core scaling M1 has is atrocious but, there's a problem. They'll be running out of space, quite literally, their cores are huge with massive system caches. Will there be space for bigger GPUs ?

I expect the M1X to be a bit more flexible, and possibly to be less of a monolithic SoC. I.e., a CPU (maybe as small iGPU) chip with DDR4 support, and a discrete GPU (possibly on the same package with HBM or LPDDR).

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
and a discrete GPU (possibly on the same package with HBM or LPDDR).

That sort of defeats the purpose, the reason SoCs are so power efficient is because they are tightly integrate, as soon as you put the GPU outside the SoC power increases considerably. All of which is counter intuitive to what they're trying to achieve.

... they wont be able to play the same games, its a totally different architecture...
Games that are going to be portet, obviously.

That sort of defeats the purpose, the reason SoCs are so power efficient is because they are tightly integrate, as soon as you put the GPU outside the SoC power increases considerably. All of which is counter intuitive to what they're trying to achieve.
What do you know about what Apple is trying to achieve? It should be obvious that they are aiming for full market coverage. It's not just for power efficiency. They'll have performance versions of these probably sooner than you can say "Mac Pro".

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
That remains to be seen with Rosetta 2 in the picture. Other than architecture, everything else is the same, like calls to the Metal and whatnot. It might do better than you would expect, particularly for games that aren't CPU bound.

They are not made up, twice the cores means a maximum theoretical scaling of 2X. Naturally that wont ever happen in the real world, so 1.5-1.8X is a perfectly valid number, you can look at every other multicore CPU that has ever existed and you'll see the same kind of scaling.

Right. Because clock increases don't add performance. Architectural improvements don't add performance. Your focus is much too narrow.

Absolutely ridiculous idea, of course power matters no matter how fast something is, especially in a mobile device.

And we're still talking about 25W from your own made up numbers so we're well within the power budget limitations for a mobile device targeting 12HR battery life.

What ? How did you come up with that.

This is basic mathematics. If chip A uses 12W to do a task in 10 minutes, and chip B uses 25W to do it in 3.5 minutes than chip B uses less power to complete that task. Watt hours is what matters, not watts.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Games that are going to be portet, obviously.

What do you know about what Apple is trying to achieve? It should be obvious that they are aiming for full market coverage. It's not just for power efficiency. They'll have performance versions of these probably sooner than you can say "Mac Pro".

uhh no, ported games can't be directly compared either - they've gotta be pretty much redesigned sometimes. Moving from X86-64 to ARM is nowhere near the same thing... this is like expecting to run Crysis or something on an android phone easily... no chance. none.

anything for these new devices is going to be coded specifically for them, so they'll run well but you can't compare them to anything else because its literally apples and oranges

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Right. Because clock increases don't add performance. Architectural improvements don't add performance. Your focus is much too narrow.

There is no reason to believe this chip will feature architectural changes or any significant clock speed increase, that's why it's still called M1X.

And we're still talking about 25W from your own made up numbers

Again, they are not made up, it looks like M1 in the mac mini already peaks close to 25W, you don't have to make up anything to estimate the power consumption of a chip with twice the cores.

This is basic mathematics. If chip A uses 12W to do a task in 10 minutes, and chip B uses 25W to do it in 3.5 minutes than chip B uses less power to complete that task. Watt hours is what matters, not watts.

What a bizarre thought process, chips are not under 100% load all the time. The chip that goes up to 25W will still be a lot worse in terms of battery life than the one which is 12W, you refuse to accept that the relationship between performance and power is not linear, the higher you push the performance the lower the efficiency.

Has the M1 actually been reviewed anywhere yet, let alone M1X?

Will we be able to use M1 to run anything outside of Apple propriety software? If not it's DOA for those of us who wouldn't want be "locked in", from a software perspective anyway.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I sense the smarmy sarcasm but no, bigger isn't necessarily faster. Maxwell vs Kepler. Navi 10 vs Vega 20. Architecture means as much or more than just stapling units together.
Sure but here you have RDNA vs RDNA2 like 5700xt and 6800. You have 2080 Ti and 3080. It can also go all the way around. Besides there are more things that come into play.
Just to be clear. You are talking about the die size or transistor count? These two can be misleading. Just like the 2080Ti and 3080 are a different node so 2080 Ti is bigger in die size but 3080 packs more transistors. Just like Kepler vs Maxwell. The RDNA and RDNA2 are a better comparison since these are the same node. 6800 is almost twice as big as the 5700XT

There is no reason to believe this chip will feature architectural changes or any significant clock speed increase, that's why it's still called M1X.

There's no reason to believe it won't contain architectural changes. You didn't design it, and neither did I. So you know zero and I know zilch. You can't make any statement for or against the architecture of M1X.

Again, they are not made up, it looks like M1 in the mac mini already peaks close to 25W, you don't have to make up anything to estimate the power consumption of a chip with twice the cores.

The Mac Mini isn't a laptop now is it? The M1 in the Air peaks around 11W. But again you can't validate any numbers for a chip that doesn't yet exist, so you're making it up.

What a bizarre thought process, chips are not under 100% load all the time. The chip that goes up to 25W will still be a lot worse in terms of battery life than the one which is 12W, you refuse to accept that the relationship between performance and power is not linear, the higher you push the performance the lower the efficiency.

The higher you push the performance the lower the efficiency? Somebody better tell AMD! Zen 3 must be the least efficient chip they've ever made, it's way higher performance than Zen 2! :kookoo:

We're talking about watt hours to complete tasks. A higher TDP doesn't mean higher watt hours if the higher watt chip is faster per watt. And don't pretend that it'll idle at higher power we're talking about a chip with E cores and core-off power states. The idle wattage will be identical.

Sure but here you have RDNA vs RDNA2 like 5700xt and 6800. You have 2080 Ti and 3080. It can also go all the way around. Besides there are more things that come into play.
Just to be clear. You are talking about the die size or transistor count? These two can be misleading. Just like the 2080Ti and 3080 are a different node so 2080 Ti is bigger in die size but 3080 packs more transistors. Just like Kepler vs Maxwell. The RDNA and RDNA2 are a better comparison since these are the same node. 6800 is almost twice as big as the 5700XT

Are we just going to forget IPC, ILP and clockrate? On 28nm GM204 with 2B fewer transistors and 200mm smaller die overtook GK110B in performance. On 7nm RDNA took 3B fewer transistors on a 80mm smaller die to match and sometimes outperform the 13B transistors in GCN5.1. Architecture. It matters a lot.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
uhh no, ported games can't be directly compared either - they've gotta be pretty much redesigned sometimes. Moving from X86-64 to ARM is nowhere near the same thing... this is like expecting to run Crysis or something on an android phone easily... no chance. none.

anything for these new devices is going to be coded specifically for them, so they'll run well but you can't compare them to anything else because its literally apples and oranges
Plenty of games already are running on OS X for x86_64 already. That's the hard part, not handling the CPU architecture differences. If you're talking about games that run on Windows using OpenGL, Vulkan, or DirectX, sure, but that's hard because you have to port it to OS X with a different graphics API. Even Rosetta 2 performance is actually pretty good most of the time. I suspect that most games already running on OS X pre Apple Silicon with Metal, already probably work on the M1. Phoronix has a series of benchmarks that compares native and rosetta performance of the M1 on the Mac Mini. The numbers are actually pretty decent.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
You can't make any statement for or against the architecture of M1X.

Of course I can by looking at the past and present, something which you don't or refuse to. The X variants of a chip have never ever featured a different architectures just more CPU and GPU cores.

The Mac Mini isn't a laptop now is it? The M1 in the Air peaks around 11W.

It's not but the chip is the same, I know you're trying really hard to refute this but twice the amount of big cores will mean a lot more power.

The higher you push the performance the lower the efficiency?

Yes it does, that's why CPUs drop their clock speed when multiple cores are used and if you disable the throttling power figures make your eyes water. The wider and the more cores you have the worse the power leakage gets and the more difficult it is to power gate effectively portion of the chips.

A first gen Zen 1 core topped out at around 8-9W, a Zen 3 core tops out at 20W. A Zen 3 core is about 1.8X faster but uses 2.5X times the power and keep in mind that's on a much better node. Still don't believe that power efficiency takes a hit the more performance you extract ?

We're talking about watt hours to complete tasks.

No we are not, you are. No one uses a PC in the way you describe, I feel like I am repeating myself indefinitely, the bigger the chip and the higher the power consumption and the worse the battery life gets, even if performance/watt has increased. The only situation when that's not true is if the chip is used at maximum load until the battery dies, almost no one uses their device like that.