• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alleged Apple M1X Processor Specifications Surface

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
Plenty of games already are running on OS X for x86_64 already. That's the hard part, not handling the CPU architecture differences. If you're talking about games that run on Windows using OpenGL, Vulkan, or DirectX, sure, but that's hard because you have to port it to OS X with a different graphics API. Even Rosetta 2 performance is actually pretty good most of the time. I suspect that most games already running on OS X pre Apple Silicon with Metal, already probably work on the M1. Phoronix has a series of benchmarks that compares native and rosetta performance of the M1 on the Mac Mini. The numbers are actually pretty decent.
Yeah. In my previous job we ported GPGPU libraries from PC to mobile platforms. If it worked on a x86 Mac with Metal already, getting it to work on a iPhone is a breeze (assuming XCode didn't ***t itself, which happens more often than I like).

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
The higher you push the performance the lower the efficiency? Somebody better tell AMD! Zen 3 must be the least efficient chip they've ever made, it's way higher performance than Zen 2! :kookoo:
Clocking chips higher requires more power because leakage primarily comes from transistors switching states because between the one and off state, the gate has resistance since the switch doesn't effectively turn off immediately (although it happens pretty fast.) Because of that, switching transistors faster will result in more leakage; higher power consumption. Zen 3 is more efficient than earlier revisions because of architectural changes and smaller manufacturing nodes, but if you take a Zen 3 core, it will run far more efficiently at lower clock speeds than higher ones. Since you're not switching the transistors as quickly, you can lower the operating voltage, both of which reduces leakage. Just because the overall efficiency of chips improves over time doesn't mean that running a chip slower or leaning out the core (fewer transistors,) on the same node isn't going to result in power consumption improvements. If Apple adds more high power cores than low power ones, power consumption is going to go up by a lot. If they scale it out, it might increase in a more (not quite,) linear fashion.

@Vya Domus is right though, historically, when Apple releases an X chip, its usually a beefer chip based on the same design.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Are we just going to forget IPC, ILP and clockrate? On 28nm GM204 with 2B fewer transistors and 200mm smaller die overtook GK110B in performance. On 7nm RDNA took 3B fewer transistors on a 80mm smaller die to match and sometimes outperform the 13B transistors in GCN5.1. Architecture. It matters a lot.
No we are not and I have mentioned it in earlier posts but it is still irrelevant since the argument is about big small die size and it is about the die size for you I suppose but you haven't specify it though. OK.
If you consider same node same arch you must increase die size and pack more transistors to make it faster thus more power will be required. If you have transferred to a new smaller node you can pack more transistors within the same die size to get more performance, bump clocks and depending how you balance the GPU it may use more power to get better performance or same power with slight increase in performance due to transistor increase. This all depends on so many things.

No we are not, you are. No one uses a PC in the way you describe, I feel like I am repeating myself indefinitely, the bigger the chip and the higher the power consumption and the worse the battery life gets, even if performance/watt has increased. The only situation when that's not true is if the chip is used at maximum load until the battery dies, almost no one uses their device like that.

Not. if. The. Time. It. Takes. To. Complete. The. Tasks. Is. Shorter. If the chip wakes from idle state, completes the task, and goes back to idle in under half the time of the lower power chip it has consumed less power. Welcome to 20 years of CPU clock gating! This is the most basic mathematics I'm not sure why you're being so obtuse.

A first gen Zen 1 core topped out at around 8-9W, a Zen 3 core tops out at 20W.

1606224711319.png

22.62W

We're done here.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Not. if. The. Time. It. Takes. To. Complete. The. Tasks. Is. Shorter. If the chip wakes from idle state, completes the task, and goes back to idle in under half the time of the lower power chip it has consumed less power. Welcome to 20 years of CPU clock gating! This is the most basic mathematics I'm not sure why you're being so obtuse.
I'm sure that's exactly why mobile chips consume less power and produce less heat at lower speeds and operating voltages. CPUs have a lot of area between "fully on" and "idle". A core only exits C0 if there is nothing to do for a certain duration of time. If load is relatively low, it's going to operate at a lower clock speed and a lower voltage, because it's more efficient. It's not going to go to idle, then run at full tilt, then go idle, then go full tilt again. That's not how CPUs work unless your load comes in sporadically, in which case that will occur with any CPU because it's dependent on the load.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

Those are power figures for 2 threads per core, hence the "2T", that chart is also in the context of XFR, it took me a while to find it because I knew something is off. Zen 3 uses 20W for 1 thread per core but nice try.

1606226443875.png

If the chip wakes from idle state, completes the task, and goes back to idle in under half the time of the lower power chip it has consumed less power.

What are you talking about dude, that's literately incomprehensible. It consumed less power than the chip with lower power .... the one that's lower power, right ? What does that even mean ?

For a chip to consume less power in half the time it has to be at the very least more than twice as fast and use the same power. The pattern of usage is however still absurd.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Sure but here you have RDNA vs RDNA2 like 5700xt and 6800. You have 2080 Ti and 3080. It can also go all the way around. Besides there are more things that come into play.
Just to be clear. You are talking about the die size or transistor count? These two can be misleading. Just like the 2080Ti and 3080 are a different node so 2080 Ti is bigger in die size but 3080 packs more transistors. Just like Kepler vs Maxwell. The RDNA and RDNA2 are a better comparison since these are the same node. 6800 is almost twice as big as the 5700XT
Your forgetting apples talent ,they can make twice the performance in quarter the die, that's sarcasm physics is physics.
No one gets performance for naught.

System Name Thessia, Palaven, Ilos, Jupiter, Rannoch
Processor Cluster of AMD Processors, Intel Xeons
Motherboard Asus, ASRock (X470, X370), Dell R710's
Cooling Mix of Air Cooling, Corsair H110/100's and 1 Liquid Immersion system.
Memory 544GB
Video Card(s) Mix of GFX900 (Vega 64), GFX803 (RX580) and old Terascale cards.
Storage 124TB ZFS Array
Display(s) Many
Software Linux (RHEL, Debian, Arch)
"Apple bad, but apple made a fast CPU that beats the CPU's I like. This cannot be!"
The cognitive dissonance is strong here

People need to calm down around here. I already play a ton of games on my M1 Mac. All Blizzard games except Overwatch, and a huge library of Steam games that work on Mac OS. You can buy them cheaply on the PC and then you automatically get the mac version too. Rosetta works so well I can play all of them.

If Apple doubles the M1 GPU it will move from PS4 (30fps) to PS4 Pro+ Powerful CPU (60fps) in all modern games, including Cyberpunk would be possible. I hope they do so. The integrated performance is already much higher than my Tiger Lake laptop and getting double the M1 would be perfect.

As for the pro models? I'd like to see 4x M1 and really crush the competition in the laptop form factor. Maybe next year.

As it is, the M1 is equal to a PS4 in a Switch power envelope. It is a massive achievement. Now let's get some higher wattage parts!

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
People need to calm down around here. I already play a ton of games on my M1 Mac. All Blizzard games except Overwatch, and a huge library of Steam games that work on Mac OS. You can buy them cheaply on the PC and then you automatically get the mac version too. Rosetta works so well I can play all of them.

If Apple doubles the M1 GPU it will move from PS4 (30fps) to PS4 Pro+ Powerful CPU (60fps) in all modern games, including Cyberpunk would be possible. I hope they do so. The integrated performance is already much higher than my Tiger Lake laptop and getting double the M1 would be perfect.

As for the pro models? I'd like to see 4x M1 and really crush the competition in the laptop form factor. Maybe next year.

As it is, the M1 is equal to a PS4 in a Switch power envelope. It is a massive achievement. Now let's get some higher wattage parts!
The node precludes crazy wattages, they're best going chiplet but these chips are not small, I suppose we have seen some massive packages.
They're wide ,high transistor count cores plus a lot of accelerators make for comparatively large die, like Nvidia this could cause problems, it has for Intel(density but same)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1

Out of curiosity, what do you play and at what resolution? I've been playing WoW on my 5ks with my MacBook Pro at rendering resolution of 4k with the quality bar set to 7 and I'll usually be 40-50FPS most of the time with the Radeon Pro 5600M. I'm just trying to gauge the relative performance compared to what I have now. I've read that the CPU is quick but the GPU has a ways to go. Being faster than Intel is a relatively low bar and I've been pretty impressed with my 5600M. I think AMD has set the bar high for Apple, more so than Intel.

Out of curiosity, what do you play and at what resolution? I've been playing WoW on my 5ks with my MacBook Pro at rendering resolution of 4k with the quality bar set to 7 and I'll usually be 40-50FPS most of the time with the Radeon Pro 5600M. I'm just trying to gauge the relative performance compared to what I have now. I've read that the CPU is quick but the GPU has a ways to go. Being faster than Intel is a relatively low bar and I've been pretty impressed with my 5600M. I think AMD has set the bar high for Apple, more so than Intel.
It’s pretty potent, and already beats earlier 15” MBPs with discrete graphics even through Rosetta2: Anandtech quick review

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
To the guys arguing about power consumption:

It depends on the tasks you're doing. If you're just gaming for 30 minutes, then the max power draw is what matters.
If you're doing any kind of productivity (or using a battery) you REALLY want the CPU to complete tasks in a short as time as possible, and idle as fast as possible.

Desktop CPU's tend to complete tasks in fast bursts then idle, resulting in much lower energy used for the task as a whole - AMD threadripper smashed that metric apart in the tech world recently.

Apple can release low wattage CPU's all they like, but they need to balance between getting the task done fast, and consuming as little power as possible for that task. They can tweak this more than other companies because they're designing all the hardware and OS to work exclusively together, like a... well a portable game console really. This makes me think of the new macs as kin to the nintendo switch now.

System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Desktop CPU's tend to complete tasks in fast bursts then idle, resulting in much lower energy used for the task as a whole - AMD threadripper smashed that metric apart in the tech world recently.

Burst workloads are the least efficient actually because the processor goes in it's highest power state and then idles and then back again and so on. The bigger the changes in voltage and frequency the more energy is wasted.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Burst workloads are the least efficient actually because the processor goes in it's highest power state and then idles and then back again and so on. The bigger the changes in voltage and frequency the more energy is wasted.

not really, no. those transitions happen in milliseconds and the higher energy efficiency comes into play massively. These arent a large vehicle that has to slow down its mass, when they finish a task they instantly stop.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
These arent a large vehicle that has to slow down its mass, when they finish a task they instantly stop.

It's the exact same principle and no they are not instantaneously. It takes a lot of energy to power up portions of the chip that are power gated.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
It's the exact same principle and no they are not instantaneously. It takes a lot of energy to power up portions of the chip that are power gated.

... no? no it does not. Are you one of the people that thinks a light bulb takes so much wattage to power on, that its best left on alllllll the time too?

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
... no? no it does not. Are you one of the people that thinks a light bulb takes so much wattage to power on, that its best left on alllllll the time too?

I don't know why you are arguing over this. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/pcyc-web.pdf

Many modern microprocessors have low-power states,in which they consume little or no power. To take advantage of such low-power states, the operating system needs to direct the processor to turn off (or down) when it is predicted that the consequent savings in power will be worth the time and energy overhead of turning off and restarting.

It's one of that reason operating systems schedule as many threads as possible on as few cores as possible, that's why you always see than one core with a lot of load on it, to increase the chance that other cores go into to their low power states for as long as possible.

Last edited:

q_ex

No we are not, you are. No one uses a PC in the way you describe, I feel like I am repeating myself indefinitely, the bigger the chip and the higher the power consumption and the worse the battery life gets, even if performance/watt has increased. The only situation when that's not true is if the chip is used at maximum load until the battery dies, almost no one uses their device like that.

Kinda the opposite. Say you have a 100 Watt-hour battery (yes, they are rated in Wh, not W) and SoC/CPU with max power draw of 20W. If you run that SoC/CPU at full-tilt the whole time, you always get 5 hours of battery life. Don’t matter what the perf/watt is. Sure, there’s the user experience.... higher perf/watt maybe gets you snappier response, more data crunching, more FPS, whatever have you in that same 5 hours. But as you say, no one uses their device that way.

Now say you have a short-ish workload that lets you clock-gate so you don’t consume the full 20W all the time, then perf/watt matters again. Clearly, if you have SoC #1 that chews through the job at 20W for 1 hour then idles vs a higher perf/watt (but same max 20W) SoC #2 that gets done in 45 minutes (0.75 hours), then #1 just ate 20% battery whereas #2 ate only 15%.

Now all things being equal, @Fouquin ’s point is that a 1-hour job @20W and a 2-hour job @10W would chew through the same amount of battery. I’m guessing what you’re arguing when you say “efficiency” is that power scaling isn’t linear, so with the same micro-arch etc., @10W it’s really like a 1:45 job (17.5% batt) and not 2 hours (20% batt). So the lower TDP system won. Point taken.

But to that, @Fouquin ’s counter-argument is that if you have different micro-archs with maybe better perf/watt, then @20W you really could be looking at a 45 minute job (15% batt), swinging the balance back in favor of the higher TDP SoC for the same job.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
To the guys arguing about power consumption:

It depends on the tasks you're doing. If you're just gaming for 30 minutes, then the max power draw is what matters.
If you're doing any kind of productivity (or using a battery) you REALLY want the CPU to complete tasks in a short as time as possible, and idle as fast as possible.

Apple can release low wattage CPU's all they like, but they need to balance between getting the task done fast, and consuming as little power as possible for that task. They can tweak this more than other companies because they're designing all the hardware and OS to work exclusively together, like a... well a portable game console really. This makes me think of the new macs as kin to the nintendo switch now.
Isn't this literally the reason why there are 4 lightning cores and 4 thunder cores? It's almost like Apple thought of this ahead of time.