• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alleged ASUS AMD X570 Motherboard Price-list Paints a Horror Story

System Name AMD forever, AMD overclocker
Processor Athlon 3000+ Venice, Athlon x2 4600+ EE Windsor,x4 955 BE@3.9GHz AIR, X4 965 BE, x4 970 BE, x6 1090T
Motherboard Asus C5F-Z, Asus C5F, Asus C4E, Asus C4F, Asus RIIIE, Asus R4E, Asus M5F, Asus M6F, Asus M7H,
Cooling Corsair H100, Swiftech H220, CM Hyper 212, Xigmatek 1283 DK+Ultra Kaze, CM V6GT, Noctua NHD14
Memory Kingston Hyper X, 1600 A-Data 2000x, Corsair Dominator GT 2000 MHz, GSkill TridentX 2400MHz, HyperX
Video Card(s) HD3870 512MB GDDR4, HD5770 1024MB GDDR5, ATI HD4870, HD 6870 GDDR5, HD 7870,Radeon R9-270X
Storage 2x 320GB WD+Samsung, 1x 500 GB Samsung, SSD X-25, SSD HyperX, SSD Seagate, SSD Corsair GT
Display(s) BenQ 24" 24XL
Case HAF 922, Aspire X-Cruiser, benchtable Wroom
Power Supply Seasonic 500W and Seasonic 650W, Corsair AX 1200W, Zalman Goldrock 750, Galaxy OC edition 1200W
Software x64 win 7 and x86 Win XP SP3
Benchmark Scores you rather I do not want to see .. :-D !!!Thuban coming soon, new secret Gigabyte mobo too !!!
Bah, its nonsense article.
All vendors will have more expensive new MBs, because u need better switches for PCIe 4.0 etc, there is also better VRM and you could to know, drmosfet is between 1.1-2.5 dollars for one. ALso active cooling is not for free :). Only logic.
ANd AMD is stronger and stronger, so we can expect higher price in future with new products.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
And your level of experience in PCBA manufacturing is?
There might be one or two 10 layer consumer boards, but that's it, it simply doesn't make sense.
Most are four or six layer boards, eight is in fact quite extreme.
However, this is the first generation of consumer boards that need low loss materials. Some details here, albeit a bit old https://www.lboro.ac.uk/microsites/research/iemrc/documents/EventsDocuments/2012 conference/presentations/A Morgan Low Loss High speed laminates - What is really needed.pdf
This is a fairly big transition in terms of PCBA manufacturing materials, but I guess you wouldn't know much about that, as I presume you haven't actually been involved in making any hardware.

Also keep in mind that ASRock has a $999 board...

Likewise, do you have any experience there? There's no need to be rude or abrupt about a comment.. I believe I have a few 8 or 10 layered motherboards at home, I'd have to check to make sure.

I'm not looking at $999 priced motherboards, if that Asrock board is the water cooled RGB affair, I wouldn't even go near it. It's simply not my style or tastes.

I'll wait and see what is happening on release but if they want to charge that amount of cash for a board good luck to them, I won't be buying one. I can only guess that they charge what they like if it's AMD now being the top dog over Intel, got to cash in.. Cynical I know but still, I'm sure these prices aren't priced for the good of the products or the consumers.. But still, I don't see the need to price so high and that's just my personal opinion. Kind of off sets the price of the setup then if the motherboards are crazy priced and then CPUs cheaper.. But I digress....

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
I thought some of the higher end Asrock boards are 10 layers or more? They aren't as expensive.. It just seems like such a price hike for nothing more than greed to me. Yes the newer advance tech might cost a little but not as much as Asus are supposedly selling it for.
That just seems a OTT....

There is no pricing on As Rock boards other than the one with a mono block that will be $1000.00 and there . As a sub of Asus they do generally have cheaper boards but the Taichi and up will not be cheaper than the Asus Prime board (based on X470 prices).

System Name Main Machine
Processor Intel i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex
Cooling Water cooling, 2x EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm EK, Mora 360 Pro, EK-Quantum Velocity 2
Memory G.SKILL 32GB DDR5-7200, 7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 7900 XTX Aqua
Storage 2x WD_BLACK SN850X 1TB und 2TB, 2x8TB Seagate Ironwolf
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27WQ 27inch 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Cooler Master COSMOS C700P
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Elite Pro Tournament + Elite Pro TAC
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 1600W Titanium
Mouse Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Win 11
I am not sure if less than 10 layers is enough for PCB with this complexity. I would believe that these boards have more than 10 layers.

At these speeds signal integrity becomes challenging. You often need to go for better PCB material with lower Er values which will make PCB more expensive.
I myself being hardware project manager and designer in the area of high frequency and high speed have to deal with such topics. At certain signal speeds PCB becomes one of the expensive parts of the BOM.

In one of the projects I worked on containing multiple 10Gbit/s high speed links with FPGA, DDR3, high speed DAC and ADC and RF signal at 2.7GHz frequency, we needed 16 layer board with 2.5 Er which costed alone around 60 Euros per PCB.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
I am not sure if less than 10 layers is enough for PCB with this complexity. I would believe that these boards have more than 10 layers.

At these speeds signal integrity becomes challenging. You often need to go for better PCB material with lower Er values which will make PCB more expensive.
I myself being hardware project manager and designer in the area of high frequency and high speed have to deal with such topics. At certain signal speeds PCB becomes one of the expensive parts of the BOM.

In one of the projects I worked on containing 10Gbit/s high speed link with FPGA, DDR3, high speed DAC and ADC and RF signal at 2.7GHz frequency, we needed 16 layer board with 2.5 Er which costed alone around 60 Euros per PCB.

Nope the highest PCB is 10. The other thing is that 10GBit do not require what you are saying with X570 as PCI_E 4.0 provides more than enough bandwidth to be over saturated by 10GBit. Even some of the X399 boards have 10 Gbit and are nowhere near 6 PCB layers.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
There is no pricing on As Rock boards other than the one with a mono block that will be $1000.00 and there . As a sub of Asus they do generally have cheaper boards but the Taichi and up will not be cheaper than the Asus Prime board (based on X470 prices).

Just basing the costs of boards on current X470 boards, the Asrock V Asus are a fair bit different. I'm been considering Asrock for a while as I have a few motherboards already from them. I'll grab a snip from Scan (UK) and show what I mean..

For how I'm looking at things are the Taichi at £190 ish, is like the Hero and then the Taichi Ultimate at £230 is like the Hero Wi-Fi... I do think that the Ultimate board does seem to give a few more features such as 10Gb as an example.. Both Taichi boards do come with Wi-Fi as standard from the bit of text above...

Meh, what do I know :D :laugh:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I'm curious to how much the IC cost?
MBs ranging $150 - $700.

Did AMD make you (MB MFGs) sell that high? I don't remember AMD sold the MBs to you? NO?!
YOU made them and decided to sell them that MUCH and cry foul on AMD???

NO, seriously?! what's wrong with this picture?

Mining prices on the Video reminded me all over again...

Sighs!

AMD dictates X570 must support PCIe 4.0.

PCIe 4.0 needs at least a 6-layer board for signaling.

6-layer (minimum) boards cost a lot more.

Do the math.

40 MM Fans are expensive you know...

1.) No they aren't

2.) Wrong thread maybe?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Likewise, do you have any experience there? There's no need to be rude or abrupt about a comment.. I believe I have a few 8 or 10 layered motherboards at home, I'd have to check to make sure.

I'm not looking at $999 priced motherboards, if that Asrock board is the water cooled RGB affair, I wouldn't even go near it. It's simply not my style or tastes.

I'll wait and see what is happening on release but if they want to charge that amount of cash for a board good luck to them, I won't be buying one. I can only guess that they charge what they like if it's AMD now being the top dog over Intel, got to cash in.. Cynical I know but still, I'm sure these prices aren't priced for the good of the products or the consumers.. But still, I don't see the need to price so high and that's just my personal opinion. Kind of off sets the price of the setup then if the motherboards are crazy priced and then CPUs cheaper.. But I digress....

As a matter of fact, I do. I try to share information here, but it seems people are more interested in bickering here than to pause for a second and read up on things, as well as trying to understand why things are the way they are. Apparently sharing knowledge gets you nasty comments instead, which is great, so yes, my posts have become rude and abrupt because of it.

Eight layers, I wouldn't doubt, 10, hmmm, not so likely unless you have some super high-end workstation or server boards.

Neither am I, just pointing out that Asus is not the most expensive when it comes the X570 boards, since they seemingly got a lot of flack here.

It's not that simple, as the X570 chipset itself is comparable to Intel's Z390 in terms of cost (I'm afraid I don't have exact numbers, but same ballpark), but the addition of the PCIe 4.0 redrivers/retimers adds about $10-20 in cost to each board. On top of this, a lot of new, but maybe not very obvious board design changes have had to be developed for PCIe 4.0, which costs R&D time and money and the boards makers seemingly wants to recuperate that money as quickly as possible. This all leads to higher priced retail products, especially when the board makers knows that AMD has a good CPU coming, so they try to see what the market will bear. This happens time and time again, so nothing new there.

As a sub of Asus they do generally have cheaper boards but the Taichi and up will not be cheaper than the Asus Prime board (based on X470 prices).

ASRock hasn't had anything to do with Asus for around a decade, so please update your memory banks...
ASRock is owned by Pegatron which was entirely separated from Asus in 2012 and ASRock has been independent since the split between Asus, Pegatron and Unihan in 2008.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Just basing the costs of boards on current X470 boards, the Asrock V Asus are a fair bit different. I'm been considering Asrock for a while as I have a few motherboards already from them. I'll grab a snip from Scan (UK) and show what I mean..

View attachment 124741

For how I'm looking at things are the Taichi at £190 ish, is like the Hero and then the Taichi Ultimate at £230 is like the Hero Wi-Fi... I do think that the Ultimate board does seem to give a few more features such as 10Gb as an example.. Both Taichi boards do come with Wi-Fi as standard from the bit of text above...

Meh, what do I know :D :laugh:

The X470 Taichi has a weaker wireless card than the Master SLI. The Asus X470 Crosshair is the only board that supports 2 NVME drives in RAID 0 at PCI 3.0x4. The only real difference between the Taichi and the Ultimate is indeed the 10 Gbit. The only thing I give Asus over As Rock for AMD boards is that their BIOS are more granular. Not that As rock has bad BIOS.

As a matter of fact, I do. I try to share information here, but it seems people are more interested in bickering here than to pause for a second and read up on things, as well as trying to understand why things are the way they are. Apparently sharing knowledge gets you nasty comments instead, which is great, so yes, my posts have become rude and abrupt because of it.

Eight layers, I wouldn't doubt, 10, hmmm, not so likely unless you have some super high-end workstation or server boards.

Neither am I, just pointing out that Asus is not the most expensive when it comes the X570 boards, since they seemingly got a lot of flack here.

It's not that simple, as the X570 chipset itself is comparable to Intel's Z390 in terms of cost (I'm afraid I don't have exact numbers, but same ballpark), but the addition of the PCIe 4.0 redrivers/retimers adds about $10-20 in cost to each board. On top of this, a lot of new, but maybe not very obvious board design changes have had to be developed for PCIe 4.0, which costs R&D time and money and the boards makers seemingly wants to recuperate that money as quickly as possible. This all leads to higher priced retail products, especially when the board makers knows that AMD has a good CPU coming, so they try to see what the market will bear. This happens time and time again, so nothing new there.

ASRock hasn't had anything to do with Asus for close to a a decade, so please update your memory banks...
ASRock is owned by Pegatron which was split off from Asus in 2012 and ASRock was independent from Asus before that.

Thanks for the update. I was not aware of that

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro

In one of the projects I worked on containing multiple 10Gbit/s high speed links with FPGA, DDR3, high speed DAC and ADC and RF signal at 2.7GHz frequency, we needed 16 layer board with 2.5 Er which costed alone around 60 Euros per PCB.

To my knowledge, there will at least be 6 and 8 layer boards. Again, they've changed the PCB material to a higher grade material that still allows for the same amount of PCB layers as before.
Please see the link in my earlier comment.
Layers are usually not added for the hell of it, as it makes for quite and expensive PCBA really quick.
16 layers must've been some seriously special gear.

Last edited:
System Name Main Machine
Cooling Water cooling, 2x EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm EK, Mora 360 Pro, EK-Quantum Velocity 2
Software Win 11
To my knowledge, there will be 4, 6 and 8 layer boards. Again, they've changed the PCB material to a higher grade material that still allows for the same amount of PCB layers as before.
Please see the link in my earlier comment.
Layers are usually not added for the hell of it, as it makes for quite and expensive PCBA really quick.
16 layers must've been some seriously special gear.
16 layer board was containing both high speed digtal signal and an RF ( analog radio frequency up to 2.7GHz). :)
It is hard to believe that they use 4 or 6 layer board.

4 layer would mean only 2 layers for routing. How do they rout all signals out of processor with only 2 layers available?
Furthermore, you need refernce ground layer and also you have to put power plane layers.
4 layers would mean most of signals on top/bottom layer with reference in 2 and 3 layers.
Power planes also sharing ground layer in 2 and 3 or?

DDR routing is also usually very critical. These are usually impedence controlled lines needing proper reference planes which means in that area where they are routed the refernce plane in not allowed to be broken with other signals passing through. This would be a challange in board with 4 laers only.

6 layers could work with having dedicated layer for power planes but challenging for routing all signal out of processor. Maybe could work by using micro-vias which are also expensive.

I would say 8 layer would be more proper. 10 layer maybe needed to rout out all the signals out of so many processor pins.

Last edited:
System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Hahaha everyone angry on the Chipset Fan-cooling, I like it that it rubs your whiny mouths, I like that it's realistic and not some console-plug-n-play, they rather put a FAN on it then compromise the performance, that's the spirit!

I understand the only valid point of small fans being noisy, if they're not noisy then it's no issue, WE DON'T KNOW IF THEY'RE GOING TO BE NOISY YET, don't jump to conclusions. If they are noisy, petition the Mobo factory to FIX THE NOISE BY MAKING A BIGGER OR BETTER FAN BUT KEEP THE PERFORMANCE !!! But I know you whiners, if they added a GIANT fan on there you'd be complaining it's "OH MAY GAWD A BIG FAN ON THE CHIPSET" You just find ANYTHING to whine about that pertains nothing other than petty CONVENIENCE. Put the PC in a refrigerator then, that'll not only cool it but, but also keep the noise out, where's the PC-master-race-improvisation-tech-geek spirit, come on, FIGURE IT OUT.

It's like little kids from a kindergarden, as soon as something's a bit out the ordinary they have this stupid dumb OH MAY GAWD reaction. OH MY GAWD I NEVER SAW A LITTLE FAN BLOWING A LITTLE CHIP BEFORE.

OH MY GAWD IN ORDER TO GET TO THE MOON IN 10 MINUTES I HAVE TO COOL THE ION ENGINES WITH 300 COOLERS WAAAAAA .. because it's reality, it's not fairy tale land. Consoles come covered up in a box so it's not visible to the most users what goes inside, PC hardware comes relatively barebone, get on with the methods/culture of PC or GTFO I'd say :)

And the way the small cooler is hidden behind the chipset cooling apparatus/heatsink, I hardly even noticed it from the pictures if I didn't read about it it's there. There's SO many things they can do to make that presence of the fan and it's noise to be a moot point, that's the kind of stuff I'd rather see the community to cheer about, you don't have to remove the damn fan, all you need is a bit of inginuety to solve the problems in another way.

/rant

Last edited:
"You can very much do pair these processors with motherboards based on the older AMD X470 and B450 chipset motherboards."

But will they, especially the B450, handle the much in terms of RAM speed? RAM speed may become one of the crucial dividing lines, especially since B die has been EOLed.

Buildzoid also said that only MSI B450 boards, like the Tomahawk and Pro Carbon, have decent-quality MOSFETs, as I recall. I have read a report recently that MSI pulled a switcheroo on one of its boards (Intel perhaps), substituting junk MOSFETs in a 2.0 revision of "the same board". This sort of thing is, unfortunately, too common in our Wild West unregulated motherboard market. Companies get to pull switcheroos and flat-out lie about phase count. They have been caught so many times and simply say it's a mistake and apologize. I think Gigabyte is the latest company to blame its marketing department, or whatever, as if marketing employees ignore the information they're sent by the engineers and managers. Nvidia made the same bogus claim about the 970 during VRAMGate. The 2.0 version of the UD3P AM3+ board from Gigabyte was highly-touted in forums and marketing for having an 8 phase VRM. In reality, it was a 4 phase with a doubler and the 2.0 revision stripped components so the board wouldn't post past the 4.4 GHz multiplier. Gigabyte ignored the problem and never updated the BIOS to even prevent people from using higher than that multiplier. The big trick in recent times, though, has been to double up on chokes and other irrelevancies in order to mask the outright lie about phase count. At least a doubled 4 phase is somewhat an 8 phase. That kind of trickery wasn't good enough, apparently. Not even putting in a doubler became the next innovation.

"It's a mistake that we were caught. It will be a mistake the next time you catch us."
Hahaha everyone angry on the Chipset Fan-cooling,
Because they're a suboptimal kludge.

1) Prone to failure.
2) Noisy.
3) Dust.
PCIe 4.0 needs at least a 6-layer board for signaling. 6-layer (minimum) boards cost a lot more.
That's what Anandtech's writer said. However, in the same article it was mentioned that Gigabyte will be selling 4 layer 570s.

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't remember Intel boarsmds ever being that pricey. Iirc $399 could get you just about any board with an Intel socket notable exceptions being some skulltrail boards or sr2 classified. I'll be honest my knowledge may be out of date and I'm not trying to hard bring to up to date because paying $350 for something that was once $200-$250 is not something I'll look forward to.

Inb4, motherboard makers report record lows sales despite record high profits.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
16 layer board was containing both high speed digtal signal and an RF ( analog radio frequency up to 2.7GHz). :)
It is hard to believe that they use 4 or 6 layer board.

4 layer would mean only 2 layers for routing. How do they rout all signals out of processor with only 2 layers available?
Furthermore, you need refernce ground layer and also you have to put power plane layers.
4 layers would mean most of signals on top/bottom layer with reference in 2 and 3 layers.
Power planes also sharing ground layer in 2 and 3 or?

DDR routing is also usually very critical. These are usually impedence controlled lines needing proper reference planes which means in that area where they are routed the refernce plane in not allowed to be broken with other signals passing through. This would be a challange in board with 4 laers only.

6 layers could work with having dedicated layer for power planes but challenging for routing all signal out of processor. Maybe could work by using micro-vias which are also expensive.

I would say 8 layer would be more proper. 10 layer maybe needed to rout out all the signals out of so many processor pins.

You're right, four is unrealistic, but most consumer motherboards are still six layers, with higher-end models being eight layers.
Apparently EVGA is going for 10 on their high-end boards, something I'd missed.
Even something fairly high-end like this, is only six layers https://www.aorus.com/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10

Well I think I will stick with my X470 for now. Noo need for the PCIE 4.0 until when I upgrade M.2 NVME in the future. Unless PCIE 4 make the Video better than on PCOE 3.0

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Well I think I will stick with my X470 for now. Noo need for the PCIE 4.0 until when I upgrade M.2 NVME in the future. Unless PCIE 4 make the Video better than on PCOE 3.0

There will be PCI_E 4.0 lanes in the CPU itself. I will be interested to see how these new chips work in AM4 boards. The biggest question for me is that will the addition of a Ryzen2 CPU to an X470 board allow those memory clocks (most top end X470 have support for as high as 4000Mhz in the BIOS) or will it require an X570 board?

Hahaha everyone angry on the Chipset Fan-cooling, I like it that it rubs your whiny mouths, I like that it's realistic and not some console-plug-n-play, they rather put a FAN on it then compromise the performance, that's the spirit!

I understand the only valid point of small fans being noisy, if they're not noisy then it's no issue, WE DON'T KNOW IF THEY'RE GOING TO BE NOISY YET, don't jump to conclusions. If they are noisy, petition the Mobo factory to FIX THE NOISE BY MAKING A BIGGER OR BETTER FAN BUT KEEP THE PERFORMANCE !!! But I know you whiners, if they added a GIANT fan on there you'd be complaining it's "OH MAY GAWD A BIG FAN ON THE CHIPSET" You just find ANYTHING to whine about that pertains nothing other than petty CONVENIENCE. Put the PC in a refrigerator then, that'll not only cool it but, but also keep the noise out, where's the PC-master-race-improvisation-tech-geek spirit, come on, FIGURE IT OUT.

It's like little kids from a kindergarden, as soon as something's a bit out the ordinary they have this stupid dumb OH MAY GAWD reaction. OH MY GAWD I NEVER SAW A LITTLE FAN BLOWING A LITTLE CHIP BEFORE.

OH MY GAWD IN ORDER TO GET TO THE MOON IN 10 MINUTES I HAVE TO COOL THE ION ENGINES WITH 300 COOLERS WAAAAAA .. because it's reality, it's not fairy tale land. Consoles are covered up where it's not visible to the most users what goes inside, get on with the methods/culture of PC or GTFO I'd say :)

/rant
Plus as I understand the 40MM are 4 pin PWM. So when you are doing some serious gaming the sound from the GPU fans should drown out anything the chipset fans apply. Neither is this the first implementation. I had a As Rock 890GX Extreme that came with a 40mm fan. It was not pre installed but part of the package.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I don't remember Intel boarsmds ever being that pricey. Iirc $399 could get you just about any board with an Intel socket notable exceptions being some skulltrail boards or sr2 classified. I'll be honest my knowledge may be out of date and I'm not trying to hard bring to up to date because paying $350 for something that was once $200-$250 is not something I'll look forward to.

Inb4, motherboard makers report record lows sales despite record high profits.
Did many of those 200$ boards have pciex4.

Think progress, you seam stuck on intels upgrade path , same shit year after year +10% and a new motherboard with only high speed usb4 alpha ports as an innovation.

When intel bring pciex 4 their board price WILL increase too.

System Name Main Machine
Software Win 11
You're right, four is unrealistic, but most consumer motherboards are still six layers, with higher-end models being eight layers.
Apparently EVGA is going for 10 on their high-end boards, something I'd missed.
Even something fairly high-end like this, is only six layers https://www.aorus.com/Z390-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10

Thanks.
It would be interesting to have a look at Gerber data of modern mainboards to see how they do the fan-out of all impedance controlled differential and single ended lines out of processor with 6 layers. :p

Maybe my layout colleagues can learn somethings. :laugh:

In any case, I find Crosshair VIII Hero WIFI interesting but I am not too much in hurry to switch the platform.
I own 2700x with Crosshair VII Hero WIFI and Radeon VII watercooled.
I find 3800x as intersting processor but would like to see reviews how much it is faster than 2700x and if it makes any sense to switch.

System Name Iglo
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 32 gigs - 3600hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 GAMING
Storage NvmE x2 + SSD + spinning rust
Display(s) BenQ XL2420Z - lenovo both 27" and 1080p 144/60
Case Fractal Design Meshify C TG Black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z-2300 2.1 200w Speaker /w 8 inch subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 550w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair k100 Air Wireless RGB Cherry MX
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores Super-PI 1M T: 7,993 s :CinebR20: 5755 point GeekB: 2097 S-11398-M 3D :TS 7674/12260
The hate against fan on the board is valid,i dont want another fail point added to my motherbord.
This new setup is gonna be expensive enough,so im defo going for no fan option.

they are the new Intel, ripping loyal customers. i might check on next gen Intel boards with 10th gen and buy Intel. These amd prices suck.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Did many of those 200$ boards have pciex4.

Think progress, you seam stuck on intels upgrade path , same shit year after year +10% and a new motherboard with only high speed usb4 alpha ports as an innovation.

When intel bring pciex 4 their board price WILL increase too.

Don't see why pcie4 would add $100. Boards with Pcie3/usb3 didn't command a solid $100 premium when they were bleeding edge. If you want to line up and to get robbed by all means go ahead.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I'm looking at the Taichi as a possible for my next major upgrade, hoping it's not too far up the price tree. I don't need the wireless, and I'm hoping I can find a model somewhere in their line close to this without it. It's going to be painful enough upgrading when the time comes, but I do like the looks of moving to team AMD this next round....

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Don't see why pcie4 would add $100. Boards with Pcie3/usb3 didn't command a solid $100 premium when they were bleeding edge. If you want to line up and to get robbed by all means go ahead.
I doubt ill swap this crosshair tbh.

I hope to put a 3900x in it and be done.

Look at the market, Nvidia have upsold twice in the last few years, Intel prices have increased on mainstream and because they could they made hedt platform with higher pricing.

And intel were selling us quads for years man, with socket swaps that WERE NOT needed,, theses boards run up to 16 cores, I'm telling you as an engineer , pciex 4 takes more R and D, testing and more expensive parts including more parts (redriver chip/s).

With boards from 160-700 quid i don't see your point as valid.

As I said, watch intels prices , have you seen some of the boards you can buy Now for Intel chips.

Because you don't see it? , just means you don't see it.

There's a Bit of gouging going on but it's not Amd that Makes the boards.