• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alternative for MediaSource 5? (Something like Amarok)

System Name Getting old!
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,9Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling About sufficient air cooling
Memory 4GB Dominator DDR2 1066 @1040Mhz
Video Card(s) Club 3D Radeon HD6950 1GB
Storage 120GB Kingston SSDNow 200V+, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Display(s) Crossover 27Q LED-P (lovely!)
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Integrated -> optical -> HELIX P DSP
Power Supply Corsair HX620W
Software Win7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P5285 WPrime 1.55 10,15 sec Super Pi Mod 1.5 17,920 sec
Is there any other music player software that has an embedded file browser that can access all folders fast and with no optional pop up screens? MediaSource 5 is doing a great job but once I install it, I cant use the X-Fi modded drivers EQ, the Console Launcher stops working after MediaSource is installed.

So is there a player that is looking and working the same as Amarok in ubuntu?

Those are the only players I've found that can do it. And if the player has a good EQ in it, it would be a huge plus.

Thanks

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
"no optional pop up screens"

What do you mean by that? For instance, Winamp has a great media browser built in (aka library panel). Once you turn it on, it will be there every time you start Winamp. You won't have to tinker with it every time you start Winamp. All you have to do is add the folders, drives, or locations the first time you configure it. However this is only if you keep your media static like I do. I keep my media stuff in several static folders. (One large for storage, one for latest downloads, etc) Or you can use something like MPEG Audio Collection application (although that one hasn't been updated in years). I would recommend the Winamp built in browser if you keep your stuff static. If you have files all over, like thousand MP3's in a thousand different locations, then... check out softpedia.com. They've got a large selection of apps under "audio tools" and "file managers". Too many to list here.

System Name MSI apache ge62 2qd
Processor intel i7 5700HQ
Memory 12 Gb
Video Card(s) GTX960m
Storage 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24'
Media Monkey one of the best.
You can also try songbird.

System Name Getting old!
Case Antec Three Hundred
Software Win7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P5285 WPrime 1.55 10,15 sec Super Pi Mod 1.5 17,920 sec
What do you mean by that? For instance, Winamp has a great media browser built in (aka library panel). Once you turn it on, it will be there every time you start Winamp. You won't have to tinker with it every time you start Winamp. All you have to do is add the folders, drives, or locations the first time you configure it. However this is only if you keep your media static like I do. I keep my media stuff in several static folders. (One large for storage, one for latest downloads, etc) Or you can use something like MPEG Audio Collection application (although that one hasn't been updated in years). I would recommend the Winamp built in browser if you keep your stuff static. If you have files all over, like thousand MP3's in a thousand different locations, then... check out softpedia.com. They've got a large selection of apps under "audio tools" and "file managers". Too many to list here.

Well, I did try WinAmp for some time but there was no way for me to find the songs I wanted to play... Thats because I listen mostly electronic/dance/techno music and there is hundreds of artists and I don't keep total track of them so I have my new tunes in specific folders and I didn't find a easy way to browse folders in Winamp. I tried to use the browser but that was a pain in the ass.

@xfire Thanks, I downloaded it and am quite happy with it. Few oddities... for example I would have to register (pay?) to keep my library up to date automatically, MediaSource 5 does this without charge. One thing MediaMonkey is lacking, is a switch for browsing mode and smaller player mode. That too is in MediaSource. The EQ in Mediamonkey is a bit weird as it makes odd sounds while tuning, and it doesn't inform how much increase / decrease it makes. Just have to live with it.

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
Well, I did try WinAmp for some time but there was no way for me to find the songs I wanted to play... Thats because I listen mostly electronic/dance/techno music and there is hundreds of artists and I don't keep total track of them so I have my new tunes in specific folders and I didn't find a easy way to browse folders in Winamp. I tried to use the browser but that was a pain in the ass.

I hear ya. Winamp library can be confusing, especially if you are using a funky skin or something. Some of the skin designers really concentrate on the primary window when working on their skins. What I like about the Winamp library is that it has a pretty good and very fast search ability. Instant search really. You type in few letters (either name of the artist, album, or song title) and it will find what you are looking right away (instantly since Winamp pre-caches everything).

System Name MSI apache ge62 2qd
Processor intel i7 5700HQ
Memory 12 Gb
Video Card(s) GTX960m
Storage 1TB
Display(s) Dell 24'
Media monkey has that too(instant search)

System Name Getting old!
Case Antec Three Hundred
Software Win7 64-bit
Has anyone encountered hiccups in music when typing? I have Logitech wireless keyboard (I don't use the wireless mouse). And with MediaMonkey this started to occur. I reinstalled the drivers but same thing happens. Maybe a little improvement after reinstalling drivers. I'll try the newest version now. And I'll give songbird a shot.