• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM1 Powered 8+ Drive NAS

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This isn't so much a build log, because I didn't think about posting about it here until I was done...

Part List
CPU: AMD Sempron 3850 1.3GHz Quad-Core
Mem: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600
Mobo: ASUS AM1A-M
SSDs: 2x Mushkin Chronos 60GB
RAID Cards: 2x Highpoint RocketRaid 2300, RocketRaid 622
PSU: CS650M
Case: NZXT Source 210

Total Cost Without Drives or OS: $675

This is a build for a client, they wanted the cheapest machine capable of holding 8 Drives in RAID as well as 2 e-SATA ports for connecting 5-Bay external enclosures similar to this but from some generic brand. The two RocketRAID 2300 cards will run 8 internal drives in two RAID5 arrays. The drives in the system now are just test drives I put in there, they were the only 3 identical drives I had laying around.

The client has 8 4TB WD Red drives on order and those will go in when I put the server in place after the first of the year. I'm waiting for the right adapter to put the SSDs up in one of the 5.25" bays, which will free up the 3.5" bay and allow all 8 drives to go in the case.

This computer will be used as an on-site file server as well as a cloud backup server for their off-site workstations. They have 4 satellite offices as well as several laptops that the employees use out in the field.

The SSDs are set up using the Windows Software Mirroring. I know, not ideal, but good enough.

They provided the OS which is Windows 2012 R2. Though this project could have easily used Windows 7/8 Pro if I didn't want to software mirror the SSDs.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming X 8G
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB + Samsung 870 EVO 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG24C
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX-550
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K60
This is the kind of build that I really like, I'm kind of tired of these gaming machines.

Though this project could have easily used Windows 7/8 Pro if I didn't want to software mirror the SSDs.

I believe that both Windows 7 & 8 Pro support software mirroring.

Off topic: With today's technology is there still any reasons to use external RAID cards if your motherboard has a built in raid controller and has enough ports?

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I believe that both Windows 7 & 8 Pro support software mirroring.

They do, but not the OS partition. Only the Windows Server OSes allow you to mirror the OS partition.

Off topic: With today's technology is there still any reasons to use external RAID cards if your motherboard has a built in raid controller and has enough ports?

The main reason is the ability to take the controller and drives out of the machine and move the entire array to another computer. So if say the motherboard dies in the computer I can take the drives and cards out and put them in another computer and be back up and running in a matter of minutes.

Now, you can do this with built in ports on the motherboard too, but only sometimes. It is pretty easy to just move the drives from one Intel based computer to another, or one AMD based computer to another, and the motherboard will pick up the array most times. However, going from Intel to AMD or AMD to Intel will almost never work. But with a dedicated controller card it doesn't matter what the computer is based on.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Plus a lot of controller cards provide the performance and hardware based drive scanning to prevent issues, completely behind the scenes of what happens.

The downside of many controller cards is the truly available bandwidth of PCIe and the cost of the card as the interface logic has to be done in house as few companies make X8 2.0 or 3.0 interface logic chips that can just be tossed on, so when limited on PCIe bandwidth the ability to stack SSD's quickly loses its performance incentive, but on the integrated controller it has much more available bandwidth, but with out some of the hardware support a dedicated card gets you.

Keyboard Corsair K60
SuperMicro has a lot of motherboards with LSI controllers and they support up to 8 drives, which makes me believe that it could be a good alternative to dedicated cards. For sure a motherboard can die, but so a dedicated card can to. So basically, what are you thoughts on motherboards with built in LSI controllers or others?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
SuperMicro has a lot of motherboards with LSI controllers and they support up to 8 drives, which makes me believe that it could be a good alternative to dedicated cards. For sure a motherboard can die, but so a dedicated card can to. So basically, what are you thoughts on motherboards with built in LSI controllers or others?

More likely you would upgrade and want to keep your array.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Generally arrays can be moved between controllers as long as they are from the same manufacturer.

So in that case, if the board died, it is highly likely you could buy another board with an LSI controller or an LSI dedicated card and the array would work.

Though LSI controllers are a bit on the pricey side, but they are nice.

Keyboard Corsair K60
Generally arrays can be moved between controllers as long as they are from the same manufacturer.

So in that case, if the board died, it is highly likely you could buy another board with an LSI controller or an LSI dedicated card and the array would work.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

+1: We did this very process at work. An older LSI RAID card failed. We upgraded to one of those fancy 12GB PHY cards and it detected the array out of the box.

It's also worth noting that port expanders can make LSI cards look a little more reasonable, but it's still an investment. I bet my RAID performance would increase by 20% if I got a RAID card, with write cache enabled, and a BBU. That's only for the RAID-5 though. The only reason I really would get a hardware RAID card would be to have performant RAID-6 to be completely honest. I've found RSTe to be rock solid for a "FakeRAID" (firmware RAID if you will) solution.

One of the biggest benefits of a RAID card is the offload for parity bit calculations on write and rebuild. A low power CPU would struggle with higher speeds without a hardware RAID card.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
i would have used ecc ram and gone freenas, maybe added an intel nic too
No more slots to add a NIC although ECC might not be a bad idea although at that point I would say just get a more powerful platform that offers a little more. At that point I would consider the ASUS P9A-I.

While the board might be expensive (380 USD) you gain a more power powerful CPU, support for 18 drives total (16 from SAS breakout cables), and 4 Ethernet ports without adding any expansion cards and still get a 4 lane PCI-E slot in the end. I personally would have preferred that this use the C2750 (8-core variant) but reviews seem to indicate that the C2550 is sufficient for the platform. Although for most people, I see support for 16 drives being a bit overkill.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
You should really check out Freenas, or Openfiler. Or even Ubuntu....Software raid is amazing, very resiliant, portable.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
No more slots to add a NIC although ECC might not be a bad idea although at that point I would say just get a more powerful platform that offers a little more. At that point I would consider the ASUS P9A-I.

While the board might be expensive (380 USD) you gain a more power powerful CPU, support for 18 drives total (16 from SAS breakout cables), and 4 Ethernet ports without adding any expansion cards and still get a 4 lane PCI-E slot in the end. I personally would have preferred that this use the C2750 (8-core variant) but reviews seem to indicate that the C2550 is sufficient for the platform. Although for most people, I see support for 16 drives being a bit overkill.

I paid 56 bucks for a new 8gb stick of ECC for a set up very similar to this, but I'm using freenas. I have less than 300 into the build minus drives, though.

I just did it for ultra low power consumption. I already had a big boy ATX board (which is definitely the way to go for flexibility).

It's a shame the sempron doesn't OC worth a crap.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
i would have used ecc ram and gone freenas, maybe added an intel nic too
Windows was required. They want to run software on the server that requires Windows.