1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM2 pre-orders @ Overclockers

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HookeyStreet, May 21, 2006.

1. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
  2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So am I right in saying the ONLY real benefit of AM2 is DDR2 Memory? and for that benefit most will need to buy a new motherboard as well as the processor? Would be interesting to see what % improvement in overall system performance that DDR2 will bring and then work out the cost of the new motherboard and processor as a % against the exisiting socket 939 processor we own and after you have done all that you realise how much you are expected to pay for.................well................not a lot!

Unless of course my facts are completely wrong and my performance is going to increase by like 50% plus but I have this sneek feeling we are probably talking about something like a 5%increase!

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    Once AMD releases 65nm for mainstream, it will be AM2 only and AM2 will start having some actual appeal. Until then its just 939 with ddr2.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, how long are we talking roughly before 65nm is available? I guess my motherboard at some stage might take AM2 with an upgrade (but knowing my luck the upgrade will cost as much as a motherboard) as it has a "future slot".

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. POGE

POGE New Member

Thanks Received:
    No one really knows when it will be mainstream.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Of course in my first post I forgot to add the cost of the DDR2 memory as well, I have just been checking prices on another site in UK AMD are doing a AM2 Semperon 3600 at what seems a very reasonable price notwithstanding the other costs involved, am going to google a bit to see what that can do.

10 Year Member at TPU