1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM3+ MSi 970 Gaming board problem

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by toilet pepper, Aug 9, 2017.

1. toilet pepper

toilet pepper

Thanks Received:
    When I changed boards a few months ago I changed boards and found out several weird damp spots on the board - particularly where the VRMs are. I was using an FX8320 overclocked to 4.3Ghz and undervolted to around 1.28mv. (below stock) I don't see any reason why the VRMs would melt with these clocks. The board and CPU still works and and they are quite cool. I just want to know what these damp spots are. Otherwise the board still works flawlessly. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    For how long have you kept this OC ? 1, 2 year long ?
    It looks like melted to me

toilet pepper says thanks.
  3. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    Considering it is an 8-phase VRM it should never even come close to melting components etc. with that OC and voltage.

I would not pay much attention to it probably some residue from factory.

natr0n and toilet pepper say thanks.
  4. infrared

infrared Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm fairly sure this is just spooge from the themal pads on the VRMs. Probably seeped through the vias on the motherboard to end up on the back (tiny holes you can see)

I don't think it's anything to worry about, clean it with some iso alcohol if you want, and you could always change the thermal pad, they're not that expensive.

Vya Domus says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the real deal with MSI boards. That looks like a MSI 970 Gaming, like mine. These boards use nikos mosfets, 8 of them, (as with all MSI boards for ryzen) which are know to be the worst in the industry, these are also famous for blowing up in flames due to thermal runaway due to dissipating too much heat. Put a fan active cooling the VRM, it is literally melting those thermal pads, or dial down that overclock. My old crosshair III formula was able to easily keep my 1100T at 4.0Ghz. I get stability issues at 3.7Ghz with this board at higher volts than what I would need for 4.0Ghz on my CH III.

psyko12, EntropyZ, MIRTAZAPINE and 3 others say thanks.
  6. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    I don't know what to say , even if they are of poor quality still it should not heat up that much , hell 8 phases don't even need a heatsink for the most part.

My board got 4+1 phases and even with 1.45V the VRM heatsink never gets so hot that it becomes unbearable to the touch , I did eventually put a fan on it and it remains pretty much cool to the touch under load since.

If you really want to be 100% sure about it use the stock fan over the VRMs, although again , it shouldn't really matter , you are not pushing the board/CPU at all really.

7. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    It's also about the quality of each phase, and trust me I have one of these boards, the cpu vrm is absolute garbage... Seriously don't get fooled by the 8 phase vrm, i think that it is a doubled up 4 phase. Plenty of discussion on overclock.net about msi boards and their long lasting relationship with nikos mosfets. The oil bleeding out of the thermal pads is a sign that OP should actively cool the vrm, or he may have some magic smoke inside his pc soon.

8. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    Honestly if they overheat even at a measly 1.28V and just 4.3 Ghz , even with a fan it's still a far cry from being safe.

9. toilet pepper

toilet pepper

Thanks Received:
    With this experience and GN and Buildzoid's review of MSi boards, I'm staying away from them in the meantime. Thanks everyone for the input!

10. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    I got that board no issues. Just keep a fan pointed at the vrm and you wont have to worry about anything.

11. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    Yeeeeah...

12. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    Throttling is too boring for nikos mosfets!

9700 Pro says thanks.