1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM4 Build...Any Suggestions before I buy today or tomorrow?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Spaceye, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Spaceye

Thanks Received:
    My Old PC is a Dell XPS 720..

Windows 10 64bit
    8GB RAM
    Processor is Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66 GHz
    (kentsfield Socket 775 LGA)
    Monitor is DELL P4317Q
    GPU: Two GTX 960's

will be using the pc for Photoshop, Light Video Editing, 4k gaming and movies and O.C. later on in the year.

PARTS:

Windows 10 Pro

Monitor:
    Dell 43" 4k Multi-Client Monitor (P4317Q)

CASE:
    NZXT Phantom 820 Computer Case
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH23S/?tag=tec06d-20

MOBO:
    ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AMD Ryzen AM4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W2L6GBX/?tag=tec06d-20

CPU:
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire LED Cooler
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP5YCX6/?tag=tec06d-20

RAM:
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/?tag=tec06d-20
    GPU:

2 GTX 960's (From old PC, planning on upgrading when a new series of nvidia gpu comes out)

SSD:

Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAGSDUE/?tag=tec06d-20

Storage:
    1T WD Caviar Drive, 3T Seagate backup plus and an external 4T seagate personal HD.

CPU COOLER:

Cryorig R1 Ultimate CR-R1A Dual Tower CPU Heatsink
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUHC3WY/?tag=tec06d-20

PSU:
    (Already bought)

2. alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Don't see the need to spend that much for 1TB SSD especially when you have other HDDs in the system.

And personally I think the cpu heatsink is overkill. Get coolermaster evo 212 for 1/5 of price.

I was going to say to ditch SLI but then it's coming from your old rig, so nevermind that.

3. Spaceye

Thanks Received:
    Forgot to change the CPU cooler to water...any really good ones with LED's you recommend?
    Those are external HDs and caviar is a spinner drive thats why.

I plan on it when a new series gpu comes out.

but I like big fans :/

4. alucasa

Thanks Received:
    For storage, I don't really recommend "putting all eggs in one basket". Get at least one SSD and another HDD.

As for heatsink, I guess it's up to you. Those oversized heatsinks are pointless in my opinion. Evo 212 has a LED version or you can swap the 120mm fan with RGB one.

5. DeathtoGnomes

DeathtoGnomes

Thanks Received:
    Before buying that memory, check the QVL list for that MB. Also I would skip that 1TB drive and instead buy a 60GB or 120GB for your OS and then also buy an M.2 drive for your gaming storage.

6. Spaceye

Thanks Received:
    Tbh i think im okay with two external drives over one T each and an internal 1T.
    Great advice, I forgot about. perhaps this one just for windows?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JCXXQ0Q/?tag=tec06d-20

Or SATA III?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ09A68/?tag=tec06d-20

Id like to go with the plextor as a dedicated ssd for windows 10...any reasons why I should go SATA III other than the price difference

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Mighty-Lu-Bu

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Thanks Received:
    Also I would think about changing the motherboad- Asus makes great boards, but their top of the line stuff is expensive. ASRock's X370 Taichi is $200 and has great reviews from critics and consumers- heck even Techpowerup gave it a perfect 10. Also, I would just go full SSD, the benefits are huge. About 6 months ago I grabbed two Crucial MX300 525GB SSDs and they work great. If I need more storage, I have been thinking about getting a Mushkin Enhanced Reactor at 1TB- they are only about $245.

8. Spaceye

Thanks Received:
    I meant an PCIe ssd just for windows.

9. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    Considering you shouldn't fill an SSD to more than 80% at an absolute maximum, get at least a 250GB drive for the OS, as you tend to install other software on the OS drive as well, or at least I do.

M.2 is nice imho, but after about six months with my Plextor drive, apart from boot times, most things I can't tell any difference from a SATA, with the exception of things like Photoshop and a few other really heavy applications.

Don't listen to the SSD nay sayers, if you can afford it, get as much SSD storage as you want, it's so much nicer than mechanical drives in every single aspect and you'll thank yourself that you did so in the long run.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Totally

Thanks Received:
    I second this, for me it's gotten to the point where it's too fast and becomes troublesome if I need to go into the bios or boot menu. I keep forgetting or am too lazy when I do to set a 2-second wait whenever I clear CMOS.

@OP, Have you considered a 1600/1600x? They're not too far off, or are right there with their 8c counterparts. You could save a few there.

11. Spaceye

Thanks Received:
    ASRock Taichi has been out of stock on newegg and Amazon doesnt sell it.

You're not the firs to tell me about the size so Im getting this one for windows.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAGSD5O/?tag=tec06d-20

Im actually running windows 10 Pro off an ssd on my old pc right now...its been one of the best upgrades since I got the pc over ten years ago :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  12. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    Keep in mind that the MX300 isn't a great OS drive, it's TLC and Crucial has not made a great firmware for that drive. The MX200 is a far better choice if you can still get hold of one. With TLC you could run into SLC caching issues (small part of the TLC is used as SLC to speed things up) and if you're going to see that, it's likely to be on your OS drive. 3D TLC is ok though, as it doesn't seem to suffer from this in the same way as planar TLC.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Spaceye

Thanks Received:

I had no clue...looks like the crucial mx200 only comes in 500GB and 1T though. If I buy the 500gb i might as well get a 1T drive...but the whole point is to get a drive under 300Gb for windows...any suggestions?

14. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest equally good and cheaper motherboard, equally good and cheaper cooler, other RAM, different storage and definitely smaller monitor because you'll have to be at least 2 meters from that monster to prevent eye damage.

Here is my suggestion: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s3wtbj

15. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    That Mushkin SSD is a joke. That's an ultra low budget drive and I wouldn't use that as my OS drive.

The MX200 has been discontinued, so it seems like the prices spiked on the last few units still available.

For similar budget to the MX300, you can pick up a Samsung 850 EVO which uses Samsungs V-NAND which offers vastly superior performance.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAJ412U/?tag=tec06d-20

This will give you a rough idea on the performance difference http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-250GB-vs-Crucial-MX300-275GB/2977vs3642

Not saying Samsung is the only option, but they're hard to beat for the money today.

My bad on the MX300, it's 3D TLC, but not very fast 3D TLC. It shouldn't wear out too quickly, but the performance just isn't there. Getting a slow SSD for the OS is pointless imho. I'd still use it for games and what not, as it's not a terrible drive and Crucial has good support.

You might want to read this as well http://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. MustSeeMelons

MustSeeMelons

Thanks Received:
    How could you recommend a 60Gb SSD in 2017? Do you want the OP to suffer? I'd say go for a 250ish one so that you don't have to worry about the OS drive filing up.

AlienIsGOD and TheLostSwede say thanks.
  17. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    Where did you pull that analysis from?
    In that case, MX200/300 isn't something either since it uses Micron's chips which are inferior to Samsung's and Hynix's.
    The real differences between these SSD is only in some synthetic benchmarks, which leave us with their durability. Mushkin Tricator 240 GB (also "ultra low budget") is rated to 2 million hours mean time before failure (MTBF), something that no existing Crucial and even Samsung can match. Toshiba Q300 Pro SSD's are also rated to 2 million hours MTBF.

I agree that Samsung's SSD are among the fastest on the market, but they are also the most expensive and nothing guarantees that they'll last longer than the average SSD.

18. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    Crosshair 6 Hero is best mobo for X370. That's best model at the moment.
    I would go as well with ASUS Crosshair VI Hero. Great history, nice look, many options, best BIOS on market.
    ASUS is better than anyone in high class. Best of computer hardware is ASUS.

I first learn for ASUS and than for difference between NVIDIA and AMD.
    And when I asked for GPU I asked ASUS ATI Radeon, if someone say Sapphire ATI Radeon
    I don't want...immediately look other store.
    Than I learned that ATI Radeon is produced by many manufacturers...

19. notb

Thanks Received:
    1) Isn't there a way to utilize that Dell case? They're usually well-made and this one is fairly nice visually.
    That NZXT was a great case when released (2012?), but I think there are more interesting options available today.
    And I really don't like the looks. Will you be fine with them? Your Dell is IMO way nicer (maybe "elegant" is the right word).

2) As already mentioned: while ASUS ROG is a complete and good mobo, there are some cheaper alternatives.

3) Be careful with that RAM. QVL says it has to be v4.31. You should google "Ryzen Samsung b-die" for more information on that issue.
    Or get something safe. :)

4) The heatsink is an overkill unless you plan some serious OC - which would be quite pointless, anyway. Honestly, until you get a much better GPU, Ryzen 1700 won't need any overclocking at all.
    You could easily stay with the Wraith for the time being.

5) If you don't plan to make this SSD-only, get a smaller disk. 1TB is so much you'll end up filling it with movies and photos.
    It's always better to have more smaller disks (especially since you're not very limited by the case).
    And 1TB SSDs are very expensive - not worth the money at the moment. The sweet spot is ~500GB - until that price per GB goes down with larger disks, above prices scale linearly (or even worse).
    I'd go for a NVMe 256GB...

Generally speaking: by selling those 960's and saving on the parts mentioned above, you should be able to afford a 1080.
    It'll be much better than the pair of Maxwells and you can always get another one (and then some OC on the Ryzen would make sense)...

infrared and EarthDog say thanks.
  20. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede

Thanks Received:
    No, it's not. Have you looked at benchmarks for TLC drives? They suck. Your suggested drive is no different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Look at that amazing sequential write performance... Averaging at less than 90MB/s. Why would any sane person want that as their OS drive?

This is not about memory chips, MTBF or failure rate, but about controller and TLC vs MLC/3D TLC/V-NAND.
    TLC is by nature slow, so the manufacturers did SLC caching, but it only works for small amounts of data and only in some scenarios.

Also, the 850 EVO is only $20 more, I would get that any day over something from a small time player like Mushkin.

Dethroy says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    HD64G says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. DeathtoGnomes

DeathtoGnomes

Thanks Received:
    You're right there, silly me. :respect:

120-250GB it is. Subject to Wallet limits.

23. Mighty-Lu-Bu

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Thanks Received:
    The ASRock Taichi is out of stock on a lot of sites because it is simply the best Ryzen board you can get right now. Here is a distribution list:

http://www.asrock.com/general/buy.asp?Model=X370 Taichi

24. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    1TB SSD SATA III is best investment. Before several months I bought 1TB SATA III 850 EVO.
    850 PRO was to expensive and 850 EVO was on some discount for less than 280 euro.
    He will serve you next 5 years no matter what you use, PC, Mini PC, laptop, PS4.
    And much better is 1TB than 2x 512GB. If someone want speed than better 512GB M.2 for OS and 1TB SATA III for games. Many people only need them inside of case, storage could be on external HDD. Special in small cases.
    SSD are still expensive, it would be much better 1TB M.2 + 2TB SATA III. That would be enough for anyone except storage, Music, Movies, Pictures.
    If someone have M.2 + SSD SATA III and decide to change PC for laptop. Could buy cheaper version with HDD and replace with M.2 and SATA III SSD. Again is better one big 1TB than two smaller in RAID.
    Now when I replace GPU, I sell old one and immediately I will buy 512GB Pro or 1TB EVO M.2.
    And hard disk will not be used any more inside my case. Maybe is better 1TB EVO, because space and because 1TB version is little faster and than difference between PRO and EVO is not so big.

25. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    That board is a little over the top for overclocking a 1700 on a stock cooler, but outside of that I see no issues. Only word of advice I have is make sure you update the BIOS.

I also wouldn't expect that ram to do 3200 with the current BIOS, the only ram doing well is samsung -b based.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU