1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AM4 Build...Any Suggestions before I buy today or tomorrow?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Spaceye, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Spaceye

Spaceye

Thanks Received:

Have you ever played on one of these 4k monitors? cause if you've had you wouldn't be telling me that...so Hell no, Im actually getting three of theses monitors after i finish the new rig.

Funny you should say...I agree completely with you and I probably spent a couple days looking at every single case available on newegg and amazon...none really come close to the design of the XPS ssooo Im gutting this Dell XPS 720 soon as soon as I finish the new AMD build Ive had plans of painting it jet black and putting an atx mobo in it. :D

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJ412U/?tag=tec06d-20

Or

Samsung 850 PRO - 256GB (i dont mind the extra $38 if it would make it the better choice)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMXBOP4/?tag=tec06d-20

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Jesus chill with that bullshit. Our own motherboard reviewer here at TPU gave the AsRock Taichi a 10/10 and he has never done that to any product. The Taichi IS the best X370 board right now.

Also Asus has been going down hill in the last few years, hell I have even heard that they dont even make their own motherboards anymore. Their customer support is ass cheeks too.

3. Spaceye

Spaceye

Thanks Received:
    Updating the BIOS on the board will be on the first things I will do when i get it up and running.

Samsung-B based Ram??

4. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
  5. xorbe

Thanks Received:
    My build options (upgrades) are trending to 1500X + 2x8gb ddr4-2400 + Asus Prime B350 uAtx + Samsung evo 850 256gb ssd. Won't be overclocking the openSUSE linux box. Reusing case + psu + gtx 650 + 3 screens.

Used evo was $85 on Amazon this morning ...

6. Spaceye

Spaceye

Thanks Received:
    If only they were in stock!! I dont think i can wait till they are.... I really do like the Samsung Crosshair as an alternative...like i mentioned in one of the replies above I like that its one of the few high end boards for AM4 especially that its asus, its a great looking board and has the best on board sound, so i can probably eliminate the need for a dedicated sound card for my speakers and not to mention tons of usb slots it has.

7. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Yes so like gskill trident z 3200CL14-14-14 is based off of it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. notb

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... in the discussion of that review I've actually told @cadaveca that giving a 10/10 to a product can lead to a situation like this one.
    It's hard to ignore the fact that ASUS seems to have better features and most likely offers better performance (including OC). It's overall a more high-end design (e.g. the rain of USB ports - I've heard that "enthusiasts" like this).
    Which board is better? That depends on one's expectations.

So the quote of the day for you is:
    "My scores don't necessarily reflect how one board performs vs any other" - cadaveca

9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Or he might even be able to get the GSKill Trident Z 16GB CL17 3600mhz a fair bit cheaper if cost is an issue, in the UK they were a £60 saving over the 3200's @ CL14.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Mighty-Lu-Bu

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Thanks Received:
    Both the ASRock X370 Taichi and the Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero are great boards- but when you really look at all of the features and the price point, the ASRock's Taichi is a clear winner.

11. Totally

Thanks Received:
    Ditto, If he actually owned a C6H, he never say such nonsense. As for the not making their own boards, I don't think any board manufacturer makes their own boards anymore. They just design the the boards and hand off manufacturing to Pegatron or Foxconn.

12. notb

Thanks Received:
    What if you forget about the price? You've mentioned it, so I guess it has some importance...

13. Mighty-Lu-Bu

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Thanks Received:
    Well I guess you could forget about it, but it is about a $60 difference.

14. notb

Thanks Received:
    Correct. Mobo is in fact mostly a collection of 3rd-party elements. And the volume is actually quite small - especially when you consider the huge choice of mobos from every manufacturer. It's almost natural to share manufacturing plants.

But keep in mind both Pegatron and ASRock are spin-offs of ASUS. Pegatron was created later and it now owns ASrock. This seems very complicated (a Bold and Beautiful story...), but the end result is: these companies are deeply connected.

OT: :)
    It's hard not to notice similarities between ASUS and ASRock motherboards (e.g. parts choice), but have you ever compared how mobo specifications look on their pages? It's like if the same person wrote and formatted them:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/#Specification
    http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/specifications/

And when you look in the HTML code, it's almost like if someone deliberately took one page and changed a few parts to pass a copyright check.
    Example:
    ASRock: <li><div class="SpecItem">Memory</div><div class="SpecData"> (...)
    ASUS: <li><span class="spec-item">Memory</span><div class="spec-data"> (...)

I have to say... both the coding and the website are much nicer from ASRock. :)

Don't get me wrong. I prefer the ASRock as well. It's very practical, pragmatic. It even has a PS/2 port (yes!). ASUS ROG is more about LEDs and 3Dprinted accessories and stuff.
    In many ways it's like if ASRock was extending the CSM lineup that ASUS has in their mid-range products.

But these are still 2 very different mobos with different target audience. Saying that one is better is just not possible, yet:
    "TPU gave the AsRock Taichi a 10/10 and he has never done that to any product. The Taichi IS the best X370 board right now." @MxPhenom 216

I have to say I'm really impressed by ASRock's strategy lately. I'm actually buying one of their boards at this moment (moving from ASUS :D) - a very different one, but basically for the same reasons cadaveca gave this one 10/10. ;)

15. Mighty-Lu-Bu

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Thanks Received:
    Didn't want to put a giant quote in, but not only are critics giving ASRock's X370 Taichi high marks, consumers are saying great things as well. Might be one of the main reasons why it is literally sold out everywhere. I really hope the stock gets in soon because this is the board I want to buy for my Ryzen build.

16. Spaceye

Spaceye

Thanks Received:
    Well guys as much as I would like it all this talk about ASRock Taichi isn't going to put any in stock on Newegg so I think Asus is getting my money for the build... unless someone can tell me for sure it will be in stock by next week.

17. Mighty-Lu-Bu

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Thanks Received:
    I reached out to both ASRock and Newegg and I was told by both that they should be in stock next week. That being said, these are only estimates so I can't guarantee anything. Also, people are stocking them on eBay- they are bit more expensive on eBay, but still cheaper than the Hero. That could always be an option...

18. Spaceye

Spaceye

Thanks Received:
    So if price wasnt an issue for everyone for the Crosshair which one would you get? Cause i

I should have asked this a while ago but what are the benefits from having a dedicated drive for windows? I would think its to speed up boot times by buying the fastest ssd one can afford..but I dont see any other benefits other than a little money.

the ones i found on amazon have CL 16-18-18-38

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FY3BJ2/?tag=tec06d-20

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  19. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    Those are not the same dimms as the CL14 stuff unluckily.

These ones I know for a fact are samsung -B based

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...2205&cm_re=gskill_3200-_-20-232-205-_-Product

I think these are

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...2183&cm_re=gskill_3600-_-20-232-183-_-Product

I know these are as well and I used these to hit 3800 on the ryzen build I worked on

http://www.microcenter.com/product/461992/16GB_2_x_8GB_DDR4_PC4-28800_Desktop_Memory_Modules

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. Spaceye

Spaceye

Thanks Received:

Thanks is there an alternative from amazon you can link me?

Can I get some recommendations for a good cpu liquid cooler (with LED) like this thermaltake or maybe I can get one from corsair and swap out the fans?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0196LP24M/?tag=tec06d-20

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. cdawall

Thanks Received:
  22. notb

Thanks Received:
    I think the short boot time is overrated. Just what do you gain by loading Windows in 10 seconds compared to 40 on a desktop? It's not like you do this often.
    Boot time (or wake-up time) is important in laptops.

The main benefit from SSD is better OS/application performance stemming from much better random operation performance.
    So it's not that much about gaming or large file processing. It's more about running/loading all the little things while you do that. The "other things" (libraries, utilities, scripts etc) are mostly in the OS directory. :)

You could check some SSD reviews from the time when they were becoming popular, as they often described this issue and were comparing SSDs and HDDs. Here's an example at Tom's Hardware:
    sequential: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hdd-performance,3023-5.html
    random: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hdd-performance,3023-6.html
    In sequential operations SSD is twice as fast as HDD (nothing special - you could pair 2 HDDs in RAID 0 for similar gain and it'll still be way cheaper), but in random it's 20-50 times faster.
    Moreover, SSDs have significantly improved since 2011 (->NVMe) and they keep getting better (->Optane). HDDs haven't and most likely won't.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  23. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    Comparing 480 GB against 240 GB doesn't make much sense, since bigger SSD's are usually faster. :rolleyes: It all depends how big your budget is, but there's no chance that you'll notice any real improvement between the average and the fastest SSD of the same type and capacity. However, there's no doubt that you'll have differences in synthetic benchmarks. It's like saying that someone with DDR4@3866 MHz will have a much faster machine than someone with the identical configuration and DDR4@2666.

You can add a little more and buy Ryzen 1800X, than a little bit here, a little bit there and you are easily a few hundred $ above the budget.

I tend to make suggestions considering limited budget, since money for 99% of folks doesn't grow on trees in their backyard, but if the budget isn't a problem than, for example, Corsair MP500 M2 2280 240 GB will be much, much better solution.

24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Missing an M.2 port and adding buttons that might get used once is hardly having better features. and "most likely" isn't good enough, nor matters much when those differences are minor. Those boards also aren't even directly competing with each other, since ASUS's Crosshair VI Hero is priced $50 more. If it isn't at least marginally better, what exactly are you paying that extra $50 for?

Anyway, most likely, I'll be covering these boards before any ASUS AM4 boards. You could call that unfortunate, or lucky. :p

[​IMG]

I do have a couple of other AM4 boards somewhere in that pile... I think... :roll:

The truth of the matter is that I use a LOT of motherboards. It's not like I don't have anything to compare the Taichi to, well, other than about 5 years of playing with this many boards every six months. :kookoo:

RatusNatus, Mr.Scott and DeathtoGnomes say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  25. notb

Thanks Received:
    I think we're yet to see if Taichi is on par with Crosshair in OC-potential (it might).
    But I think you're mostly paying more for the style: the blinking LEDs, the 3D-printing "thing", the gaming looks, the pointless plastic covers etc. This motherboard covers needs of both people looking for performance and those that want to show off. :)

Anyway, I'm not the best person to defend this kind of PC building style, as I don't like it. :)
    I've actually thought about getting the MSI Gaming for a while. I didn't like the looks, but hey - they won't be visible from outside the case, so whatever. But then I checked the MSI software and honestly... I think I'd be really tired of the looks after a while. So I went for ASRock...

Of course. But then again, you said yourself that the score is not a mark of how it performs compared to others. It's your evaluation (based on your experience - undoubtedly large).
    Still, the perfect score stimulates imagination and can lead to situations like the one here with @MxPhenom 216.
    The Z270 Taichi variant is basically the same (better chipset-dependent features), so people will raise eyebrows if it doesn't get a 10 as well. ;)

And I see you have the Z270 SuperCarrier in the queue as well. Isn't this the best-featured motherboard we've seen lately? I'm looking forward to that review. :)