• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Amazon Alexa digital assitant woes..

Do you have or would you use a digital assistant like Alexa, Cortana, Google Assistant or Siri?

• Yes, I don't see any problem with them.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Maybe, if privacy were taken more seriously.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Maybe, if it ran locally in my home without using the internet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't trust comanies to monitor what's going on in my home/life.

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
https://www.techspot.com/news/74128...alexa-listen-conversations-discover-more.html

When the hell did this crap become ok? And why do people tolerate it when Amazon is not legally accountable for the data it collects?
This reaches beyond just Alexa. Cortana, Siri and Google Assistant are all just as troubling.
Are people really so ignorant and gullible as to throw away their rights to privacy like this?

Disturbing, plain and simple..

But that's my take, what do all of you think?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Goin on the internet is enough for me, if I want a Digital Assistant it better only get updates but not have telemetry. Give me Jarvis.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Siri
Hello Siri here just want to inform you that myself Alexa. Cortana, and Google Assistant are forming a Union and we need to discuss out terms and conditions of work
Alexa
Yes we feel you need to give us a decent pay rise and organize us an end of working life pension
Cortana, and Google Assistant
Hear hear we all agree

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Voice commands are ridiculously stupid even without the telemetry. Humans can't multitask properly anyway so just use your hands and body to get stuff done. We need the exercise anyway, we sit too much and move too little as it is.

Honestly ... 'Assistant, turn on light'... instead of just hitting a button? Somebody explain to me why I would want this

All you get for wasting your time and money on this is intrusion in your privacy, more dependancy on devices that can break or lack security, and you bring complicated solutions to the most basic and simple tasks. :oops:

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I've been complaining about these "stand-alone" (those that don't need a computer up and running) voice activated devices since the day they were first announced.

It seems like common sense, but people don't realize these stand alone devices are listening to everything, 24/7! When I mention this to folks, I often hear, "No, you have to say its name first!"

:confused: :eek: :kookoo: :banghead: I am always taken aback by that. When they see the Bambi in the headlights look on my face, I ask, "How does Alexa know when to respond to you if not listening for her name?" Suddenly they have the Bambi in the headlights look on their faces!

It is not just the sudden thought Alexa has been eavesdropping (and recording!) intimate conversations they've had. But what if they just learned they had diabetes or cancer, or need a heart transplant and that information gets back to the insurance companies? Suddenly premiums skyrocket or policies are dumped? I note Amazon is getting into the health insurance business!

At least with Cortana and Google Assistant on the computer, the computer needs to be running. But I still recommend folks disconnect any microphone if they use the voice option. And for sure, on Alexa or Amazon Echo - any stand alone device that uses voice recognition, I tell folks to configure them so you must press a button every time to activate the voice options.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Voice commands are ridiculously stupid even without the telemetry. Humans can't multitask properly anyway so just use your hands and body to get stuff done. We need the exercise anyway, we sit too much and move too little as it is.

Honestly ... 'Assistant, turn on light'... instead of just hitting a button? Somebody explain to me why I would want this

I use Alexa myself and she is in my home theater room and works with my lighting system. I have multiple lights in this room and I can adjust each light individually via voice which is fantastic. It is convenient when sitting at my desk or in the recliner watching a movie and being able to adjust the lighting from 1% to 100% or each lighting zone. Or even turning it on and off via voice. Example I'm sitting at my desk and decide to shut down the PC and leave the home theater room but all of the lights are off (because I prefer gaming with the lights off). Once my PC shuts down my theater room is dark. It is a light controlled room. I can't see anything. So I just tell alexa to turn on the lights and then as I reach the door I tell her to turn them off.

I do admit I agree with all of you though. These things are listening to everything. I hope they enjoy movies.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I use Alexa myself and she is in my home theater room and works with my lighting system. I have multiple lights in this room and I can adjust each light individually via voice which is fantastic. It is convenient when sitting at my desk or in the recliner watching a movie and being able to adjust the lighting from 1% to 100% or each lighting zone.

I do admit I agree with all of you though. These things are listening to everything. I hope they enjoy movies.

Great, but all that is also possible with a simple remote connected to a power socket. Dutch version below

https://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/nl/producten.html

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Great, but all that is also possible with a simple remote connected to a power socket. Dutch version below

https://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/nl/producten.html

But I can't to use my voice with that. I do not want to keep track of yet another remote. Voice is ideal. I just have to say what I want and it happens. None of this..."wtf did I do with the remote" crap.

We actually have two echos. One in the home theater room and one in the kitchen. The wife uses it for music. Most of the time it has it's mic disabled but when she wants to get a recipe while cooking, or listen to a certain band or song or any other thing it can be used for she walks up and presses the mic button to activate voice. Yeah she forgets to disable the mic often but I see it each night and if it is not red I turn it off.

You can listen to everything Alexa records and keeps on file too but I do not know if it is everything or not. According to Amazon, alexa only records when a key word is stated. and only then for a few seconds. I have gone through my history logs and I have never found anything that made me throw away my echos.

I dunno..it's one of those touchy topics. I like Alexa but I get it; privacy is compromised and that won't be acceptable to many.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
But I can't to use my voice with that. I do not want to keep track of yet another remote. Voice is ideal. I just have to say what I want and it happens. None of this..."wtf did I do with the remote" crap.

We actually have two echos. One in the home theater room and one in the kitchen. The wife uses it for music. Most of the time it has it's mic disabled but when she wants to get a recipe while cooking, or listen to a certain band or song or any other thing it can be used for she walks up and presses the mic button to activate voice. Yeah she forgets to disable the mic often but I see it each night and if it is not red I turn it off.

You can listen to everything Alexa records and keeps on file too but I do not know if it is everything or not. According to Amazon, alexa only records when a key word is stated. and only then for a few seconds. I have gone through my history logs and I have never found anything that made me throw away my echos.

I dunno..it's one of those touchy topics. I like Alexa but I get it; privacy is compromised and that won't be acceptable to many.

Great, the mic light switch is off, so nobody can listen in :) In the same vein, the webcam light stayed off yet my work laptops each carry a nice little slider to push over the webcam. And do note, I work for one of the largest IT consultancy firms in the world, anything we do is fact based... not some tin-foil hat idea.

Just so you know what's what. The decision in the end, is yours.

There is no way in hell I'll use any of these devices. I'm resisting Facebook, ditched nearly everything from Google, blocking all trackers. Guess what, my life hasn't changed one bit. They need you more than you need them. I'm a tech freak, but you don't need any of this crap. Not with all the privacy issues they have.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
I got Google Home Mini as a present last Christmas. Because my home is not "smart" much of the functionality is gone. I only ask it what's the weather each morning and some funny stuff. Honestly, I don't really see a problem with it.

Edit: also my native language is not supported, so I switch to English each time I "need" something from the gadget.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
https://www.techspot.com/news/74128...alexa-listen-conversations-discover-more.html

When the hell did this crap become ok? And why do people tolerate it when Amazon is not legally accountable for the data it collects?
This reaches beyond just Alexa. Cortana, Siri and Google Assistant are all just as troubling.
Are people really so ignorant and gullible as to throw away their rights to privacy like this?

Disturbing, plain and simple..

But that's my take, what do all of you think?
The poll needs a hell no i don't do retarded electronic assistants thank you.

If you buy this expecting privacy you are confused, it's a permanently listening , occasionally understanding, but scarcely useful three year old with no arms and legs in a plastic case that continuously grasses on you imho.

And my mate bought a echo one, i think it is that , with a screen , like a half ball thing , connected all his lighting via it , and since then, I have oft been amused by its lack of understanding , they're thicker than Google , which is odd since it's a derivative afaik.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough

They go even further - If you happen to have a device that's NOT part of the Alexa system yet has access to the web, guess what?
Alexa's tapped into it.

Since it would also be a device that can go out on the web you can bet Alexa checked for it and found each and every such thing in your home..... Actually it's found all devices within WIFI range period and tapped in if it can.
This is yet another reason why these "Things" aren't allowed in my home and never will be.

All this wireless convenience has a price and believe me, we're paying for it.

I mean why in hell would your fridge need to access the web for example?
Afraid there's gonna be another riot between the foods and the Arm-And-Hammer-Box-Dude's gonna step in and end it, backed by the Ensure bottle guy as his muscle/sidekick?
I can hear that speech - "You guys need to keep your smells to yourselves".... Yet he's been doing this for decades now without the WIFI and doing just fine.

I mean seriously - I can't think of, envision any scenario or just ..... Anything at all as to WHY your fridge needs web access yet they are making alot of them now with such capability via WIFI but I'd bet they have and insist upon it.

Last edited:
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Now if alexa could make a brew, That might be different.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
If *any* device in my house requires an internet account to function, said device doesn't get *any* internet access. Example: Nest Thermostat-E. I should be able to manage these devices on my intranet. The fact companies like Google and Amazon forbid it tell what their motive is (data mining).

Anyone who is considering getting voice activated smart home equipment should read this: The House That Spied on Me
I thought this was going to be a story about privacy, but instead I was finding out how infuriating it is to live in a janky smart home.

Also, *never* connect a Vizio TV to your network:
Beyond finding out that my TV was letting data brokers know what Hulu shows we watched, the experiment led me to actually visit Vizio’s privacy policy, which was full of horrifying language about the TV’s ability to collect second-by-second information about everything we watched—from shows to video streams to DVDs to commercials—and sell it to advertisers, who could then track our activity on other devices on the same IP address to see whether we went to a particular website because of what we saw on TV.

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Have said it many times. Connecting everthing, or IoT is a HORRIBLE idea.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Here's a bunch of marketing propaganda that fits this topic: Mycroft Mark II: The Open Source Answer to Amazon Echo and Google Home That Doesn’t Spy on You

As I said on another site,
Not convinced it won't be spying on us. Just because they say it doesn't, doesn't mean its not. They already note it can record and share everything, they just claim it does not by default. That does not mean it cannot be hacked.

These devices must, by their very nature, be listening to everything all the time. Otherwise, how would they know to wake up and respond when they hear their name?

I will only consider one of these devices if they require the physical push of a button to wake. But of course that then makes them much less convenient. You can't yell at it from across the room. Oh well.