• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

AMD Announces ARM-Based Server CPU and Development Platform

System Name Lappy
Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard Sager NP9870
Cooling A lot smaller than I'd like
Memory Samsung 4x8GB DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 980 (MXM)
Storage 2xSamsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST 1TB 7.2K
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1080p G-SYNC
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-FI MB 5, Foster 2.1 channel integrated
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard 3-zone RGB integrated
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Not slow
Well, this will be interesting. I bet we'll see this offered in HP's Moonshot.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Core i7-4790K
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 7
If AMD plays this right it could bring in serious revenue from datacenters.

Most server workloads can be parallelized just fine, so if I can cram multiple of these CPUs in the same space that I can put 1 Xeon in, for less money, and they use less power, then win. Otherwise fail :)

AMD has recognized their ability to build custom designed products that leverage their IP and this is a perfect example of what can be done just as the Xbox, Wii and PS are. Unfortunately AMD doesn't have the resources they need to develop a lot of the engineering potential within the company so it will continue to be a day-to-day saga on how well AMD is doing this week for quite awhile.

With all three console wins, the Kaveri desktop APU and soon to be laptop APU releases and now a custom ARM based server option, AMD is moving forward from their reorganization. They have a tall mountain to climb and they've just started the journey. If they can keep the profits coming they will be able to increase their resources and capitalize on a lot of other products.

System Name Current Rig
Processor Intel i7 920 oc to 3.5ghz
Motherboard MSI x58 Platinum
Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120M
Memory G.Skill 6gb ddr3 1333mhz 7-7-7-18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce 3X GV-N670OC-2GD
Storage Samsung EVO SSD
Display(s) Viewsonic 1440x900 5ms
Case CoolMaster HAF 932
Power Supply Coolmax 950w
Software Win 7 64bit
AMD has recognized their ability to build custom designed products that leverage their IP and this is a perfect example of what can be done just as the Xbox, Wii and PS are. Unfortunately AMD doesn't have the resources they need to develop a lot of the engineering potential within the company so it will continue to be a day-to-day saga on how well AMD is doing this week for quite awhile.

With all three console wins, the Kaveri desktop APU and soon to be laptop APU releases and now a custom ARM based server option, AMD is moving forward from their reorganization. They have a tall mountain to climb and they've just started the journey. If they can keep the profits coming they will be able to increase their resources and capitalize on a lot of other products.
If AMD can eek out profits on sales of these chips for the purpose of reducing debt and boosting R&D then that's great. But a tall mountain to climb indeed.

Agreed, do what IBM does. Creating custom designed products for other companies looks very profitable, the consoles are already reeling them in for AMD.

mliska1

So NVIDIA has project Denver and now AMD has Seattle. Did these two companies somehow predict this years' Superbowl matchup years in advance? Do NVIDIA fanboys have to root for the Bronocos and AMD for the Seahawks?

MxPhenom 216

Corsair Fanboy
System Name The Battlestation
Processor Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ 1.275v
Motherboard MSi Z97 Gaming 5
Cooling EK Supremacy w/ EK Coolstream PE360
Memory G. Skill Trident X 16Gb (4x4GB) 2400mhz @ 1.65v
Video Card(s) MSi GTX1070 Gaming X 8GB @ 2GHz
Storage Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Crucial MX200 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2x 1TB Partitions)
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 27" 2560 x 1440 PLS @ 100hz
Case Phantek Enthoo Evolv ATX TG
Audio Device(s) MSi Gaming AudioBoost ALC1150 w/ Sennheiser Game Ones
Power Supply Seasonic Flagship Prime Platinum 850
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310 w/ QCK Mass mat
Keyboard Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns and Red Backlit
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 15439

Most server workloads can be parallelized just fine, so if I can cram multiple of these CPUs in the same space that I can put 1 Xeon in, for less money, and they use less power, then win. Otherwise fail :)
Not to mention, overall power consumptions for datacenters should drop considerably as well.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Kratos
Processor Intel Core i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CPNS9900MAX 130mm
Memory G.Skill DDR3-2133, 16gb (4x4gb) @ 9-11-10-28-108-1T 1.65v
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8GB @ PCI-E 3.0
Storage 2x120Gb SATA3 Corsair Force GT Raid-0, 4x1Tb RAID-5, 1x500GB
Display(s) 1x LG 27UD69P (4k), 2x Dell S2340M (1080p)
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek® ALC898 8-Channel High Definition Audio
Power Supply Seasonic 1000-watt 80 PLUS Platinum
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Rosewill RK-9100
Software Ubuntu 17.10
Benchmark Scores Benchmarks aren't everything.
Not to mention, overall power consumptions for datacenters should drop considerably as well.
Only if it doesn't take much more compute power to do the same operations. There are a lot of instructions that x86 has that will run in only a handful of cycles that very well might take considerably more on a RISC CPU. I share your sentiment though, I would love to see ARM take a bigger hold of the market and AMD take advantage of it. I would like to see where this goes.

System Name MoFo 2
Processor AMD PhenomII 1100T @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair IV
Cooling Swiftec 655 pump, Apogee GT,, MCR360mm Rad, 1/2 loop.
Memory 8GB DDR3-2133 @ 1900 8.9.9.24 1T
Video Card(s) HD7970 1250/1750
Storage Agility 3 SSD 6TB RAID 0 on RAID Card
Display(s) 46" 1080P Toshiba LCD
Case Rosewill R6A34-BK modded (thanks to MKmods)
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Power Supply 750W PC Power & Cooling modded (thanks to MKmods)
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

What about the virtualization market for performance hindered phone apps, if we can stream games why not more compute intensive apps with lower latency requirements? Native code with this much processing power might push the mobile market further faster.

Processor Intel i5-2500k
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD65
Cooling Deep Cool Gammax 400
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 256GB / WD Caviar Black 1TB
Display(s) Acer GD235HZbid 120hz LCD
Case Rosewill Challenger Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 650W 650-TX
Software Windows 10
Yes and no. It's not that ARM solutions are inherently more energy conservative, they are just a lot more focused and refined to consider energy usage in every field they exist in (i.e. Phones and Tablets). But, you can also get x86-based CPU solutions to run within similar power envelopes. That first round of Intel phone CPU's (Medfield I think it was) was on par and in some situations better than comperable ARM-based CPU's. Assuming that was what you were getting at, not entirely sure.

I personally think if AMD is going to focus on ARM they really need to get Phone and Tablet APU's to the market. If they could get a decent energy efficient CPU paired with a mobile GCN-esque GPU they could clean up in the mobile market--which is pretty damn profitable these days.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Core i7-4790K
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Software Windows 7
What about the virtualization market for performance hindered phone apps, if we can stream games why not more compute intensive apps with lower latency requirements? Native code with this much processing power might push the mobile market further faster.
I think what you are saying is that you want an ARM server to be able to run ARM apps from mobile phone? These servers don't run Android or iOS, so no point. Also those OS aren't optimized for server hardware anyway.

The correct way to do it (and is done already) is to add functionality to the app (on phone), to talk over internet to your server, and your server runs a specialized server program that can handle the queries (from multiple clients, and reply quickly)

If they are cheap enough myself and a boat load of other people would use them over Intel Celeron / Atom for home servers. Normally Arm SOC are low power draw and great performance.

I think what you are saying is that you want an ARM server to be able to run ARM apps from mobile phone? These servers don't run Android or iOS, so no point. Also those OS aren't optimized for server hardware anyway.

The correct way to do it (and is done already) is to add functionality to the app (on phone), to talk over internet to your server, and your server runs a specialized server program that can handle the queries (from multiple clients, and reply quickly)
there is no point to do all that hard work since you can have perfect virtualization in x86 with those v-pro and amd-v features.

edit: those servers are a completely new platform and need a tone of modifications and patches to make android work. as I said before you can achieve nearly 90% of the performance of a system that runs on the metal with the right virtualization s/w and the acceleration from those amd-v and v-pro features

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Core i7-4790K
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Software Windows 7
there is no point to do all that hard work since you can have perfect virtualization in x86 with those v-pro and amd-v features.

edit: those servers are a completely new platform and need a tone of modifications and patches to make android work. as I said before you can achieve nearly 90% of the performance of a system that runs on the metal with the right virtualization s/w and the acceleration from those amd-v and v-pro features
Did you misread my post? I said that you do not want to run anything not Linux on these CPUs

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Kratos
Case Antec 1200
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Ubuntu 17.10

X86 processors are good at virtualizing x86 workloads, they do not virtualize workloads for other CPU architectures. Performance goes down the drain as soon as you need to start emulating a different architecture. Also, you wouldn't use Android on something like a server. You'd be better off using something like the ARM port of Debian.

System Name MoFo 2
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Software A lot.

I have been led to believe that many are running a Java VM server side to allow the execution of the same code that other more powerful mobile devices can run natively, and with the overhead associated with running a Java VM server side has been huge in cost of performance per dollar, and the hardware has been years in the making to get us to this point as ARM works much better at this (hence why so many things are moving to java on mobile and even desktop). We use about 10 applications in my line of work that have been handled this way, I have only gone along kicking and screaming as the end user experience is so much worse than what a hard coded program made to run on specific performance hardware was, but I understand that development and deployment is easier with one common language that runs on android, iOS, and Windows, and depending on device performance fits into one of three performance groups.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Core i7-4790K
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Software Windows 7
iOS runs Objective C, Android runs Java. Neither are directly compatible with any other platform.

Running Java on servers is an acceptable choice for many enterprises, because scaling is much easier than with a traditional LAMP stack.

Base memory overhead of Java is kinda bad (but scales well for many connections), and RAM is kinda free nowadays.

Our TPU mobile apps use just a normal REST API to fetch their data. Easy to integrate with the existing web server structure, and easily accessible from any other platform, in case we decide to have apps for other mobile systems.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Kratos
Case Antec 1200
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Ubuntu 17.10
iOS runs Objective C, Android runs Java. Neither are directly compatible with any other platform.

Running Java on servers is an acceptable choice for many enterprises, because scaling is much easier than with a traditional LAMP stack.
One the first point, it's important to note that the hardware itself that iOS runs on can run Java. The OS doesn't implement it or support it though.

On the second point, I agree with this a lot. A great example is every time you run a PHP script from a LAMP stack, the entire state of the application needs to be configured, where on a Java server, it very well could be sitting, waiting, and ready to roll. It's also important to make the distinction between Java itself and the JVM. There some languages like Clojure that leverage the JVM and Java classes. It's actually pretty cool having the JVM under you when you're writing functional code. The only downfall (as W1zz said already) is the initial memory footprint and the time it takes to spin up the JVM, which makes it suitable for long running applications but not CLI tools.

System Name MoFo 2
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Software A lot.

Base memory overhead of Java is kinda bad (but scales well for many connections), and RAM is kinda free nowadays.

Our TPU mobile apps use just a normal REST API to fetch their data. Easy to integrate with the existing web server structure, and easily accessible from any other platform, in case we decide to have apps for other mobile systems.
Perhaps why they only list a couple apple products as being supported dependent on browser.

Java does make coding tools to code once for all the platforms, at the expense of performance, which is highly evident in their implementations performance.

Are they going to make a dual core with 8 sata3 ports. If so ill have one would make a great nas.
Pit a 16x PCI-E port and it would make a great HT-PC.

System Name STEAMBOX | GAMECUBE | EQC (Everyday Quad Core)
Processor i5 4590@3.7Ghz |i7 3770K@4Ghz -|- Athlon 5350@2.52Ghz
Motherboard GA-B85N PHOENIX | Asrock Z77E-ITX | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Stock | Antec Kuhler 620 | Reeven Vanxie
Memory 2x4GB ADATA XPG 1600Mhz | 2x4GB Kingston 1866Mhz -|- 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix@1920Mhz
Video Card(s) RX 480 Nitro | Sapphire RX 480 w/Accelero Mono Plus | HD 8400 @ 720Mhz (IGP)
Storage LiteON 128GB mSATA+3TB Seagate | Seagate 1TBxSamung 64GB SSD (Intel RST) | Kingston v300 240GB
Display(s) Daewoo 49" 1080p | ASUS PA248Q 1920x1200 IPS
Case Corsair 250D | CoolerMaster Elite 110 | Acteck Fiji
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic SS-660XP2 | Silverstone SFX-450 | 200w mini FLEX PSU
Software Windows 10 64bit
I bet these will do great on I/O limited loads like web hosting and such. I would get one for a media server.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Kratos
Case Antec 1200
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Ubuntu 17.10
I bet these will do great on I/O limited loads like web hosting and such. I would get one for a media server.
A web server serving up strictly static content, maybe. I don't seem how ARM would be much faster than X86 with I/O though. What makes you think that this will be the case?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Core i7-4790K
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) GTX 1080
Software Windows 7
ARM is at least one order of magnitude slower than x86 for these workloads, BUT, if you can jam 10 ARM machines into the space of 1 or 2 x86 systems for similar price, then it could pay off.

One potential issue could be single thread performance which affects page generation time, nothing can even come close to x86 here.